Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2994657

Subject: "Prince Concert Film 'Sign o' the Times' to Air on Showtime - RS swipe" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Wed Aug-23-17 12:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Prince Concert Film 'Sign o' the Times' to Air on Showtime - RS swipe"

I saw this in a movie theatre in Queens, NYC during whatever holiday it was released. When I turned around in the theatre, I saw Run and DMC sitting behind me. I asked them: "y'all like Prince?" Run said that they were very influenced by Prince.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rare-prince-concert-film-sign-o-the-times-to-air-on-showtime-w499200

Rare Prince Concert Film 'Sign o' the Times' to Air on Showtime
Companion piece to album shot at Paisley Park Studios and on tour in the Netherlands and Belgium

By Kory Grow

Prince's 1987 concert film Sign o' the Times, which has been out of print in the U.S. since 1991, will be available to watch once again this summer. Showtime has acquired the right to the film and will debut it on September 16th at 9 p.m. EST.

The artist decided to make the movie as a companion piece to his double-album of the same name, which was also released in 1987 but had stalled in sales at mere platinum status. He shot much of the film at his own Paisley Park Studios and on tour in the Netherlands and Belgium. It features performances of many of the LP's now-classic songs – including the title track, "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man," "Hot Thing," "If I Was Your Girlfriend" and "U Got the Look" – as well as the hit "Little Red Corvette" and a cover of Charlie Parker's "Now's the Time."

His band at the time featured musicians from both the Revolution, who'd backed him on Purple Rain, and the group that would become the New Power Generation. Sheila E. played drums, including an extended solo, and Sheena Easton sang "U Got the Look" with the artist.

The film got a theatrical release in late 1987, but it wasn't a box-office hit, attracting only $3 million in revenue, per Box Office Mojo, despite critical praise. Nevertheless, the 1988 home video release was also certified platinum two years later. Despite its popularity, and a VHS reissue in 1991, it has remained out of print in the States since then, though many countries internationally, including Canada, have seen the film come out on DVD in recent years.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Dope. Too bad I made Comcast switch me to HBO a few weeks ago..
Aug 23rd 2017
this is a dope movie.
Aug 23rd 2017
Prince at his best. Period.
Aug 23rd 2017
Amen.
Aug 24th 2017
LOL At Showtime, I Watch It Here All The Time
Aug 25th 2017

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Wed Aug-23-17 12:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Dope. Too bad I made Comcast switch me to HBO a few weeks ago.."
In response to Reply # 0

Loved this movie when I rented it from Blockbuster back in '88 or '89 of my freshman year of high school.

Always regretted not dubbing a copy..

I was able to locate a pirated copy on line from some Russian website last year after he passed..

Such a great stage show.. the music, the lighting, everything..

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Wed Aug-23-17 02:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "this is a dope movie."
In response to Reply # 0

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Wed Aug-23-17 02:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Prince at his best. Period."
In response to Reply # 0

peak shit right here.

the pinnacle.

the movie is the shit, in other words.

sidenote: damned shame the man didn't run this show in the USA. but hell, it's a damned shame the way the SOTT album was promoted, generally. 'U Got the Look' should've been the 2nd single (and should've launched the tour), followed by 'Housequake' (w/a VIDEO) and 'Adore', w/'I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man' as the last single (by then the tour would be in the USA). i know, i know...Prince didn't wanna go that route to avoid being 'trapped' in R&B/Black radio. eh. but anyway, w/those single choices and a US tour....

but oh well.

still, we have the SOTT movie. if you dig Prince and you haven't seen this i think you should find a way to see it. it's the shit.

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Thu Aug-24-17 02:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Amen."
In response to Reply # 3

There's a direct line between the terrible way this album was marketed and Prince's star waning when it could have and should have been the opposite.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri Aug-25-17 02:41 PM

5. "LOL At Showtime, I Watch It Here All The Time"
In response to Reply # 0

No I don't have the dvd, I didn't get a chance to watch "SOTT" until 10 years later for the first time but hey at least I got to watch it, but now I just rely on other tubes for it like here: rwq enjoy.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Lobby The Lesson topic #2994657 Previous topic | Next topic