Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2994487

Subject: "Lupe vs Kendrick: Flat out better rapper?" Previous topic | Next topic
lightworks
Member since Feb 17th 2006
5818 posts
Wed Aug-16-17 04:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Lupe vs Kendrick: Flat out better rapper?"

Poll result (38 votes)
Lupe (18 votes)Vote
Kendrick (20 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Lupe is the most gifted emcee of his generation
Aug 17th 2017
It's close
Aug 17th 2017
kendrick easily
Aug 18th 2017
RE: Lupe vs Kendrick: Flat out better rapper?
Aug 19th 2017
Kendrick is a far better overall artist, Lupe is a far better rapper
Aug 19th 2017
Kendrick
Aug 20th 2017
The question is better rapper...
Aug 20th 2017
Speaking of Lupe, he quietly dropped a vid for Made In The USA.
Aug 20th 2017
good question
Aug 20th 2017
^^^ all.of.this.
Aug 22nd 2017
Kendrick literally has about 500 more styles than Lupe
Aug 21st 2017
I feel the opposite
Aug 22nd 2017
      rapping is an aspect of music, like singing or drumming
Aug 22nd 2017
           gonna have to agree to disagree
Aug 22nd 2017
                oh it's appropriate in this case
Aug 22nd 2017
I love them both and think they're both dope as fuck...
Aug 22nd 2017
what does Kendrick think of MM ?
Aug 22nd 2017
lol @ this being close
Aug 25th 2017

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18116 posts
Thu Aug-17-17 10:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Lupe is the most gifted emcee of his generation"
In response to Reply # 0

You can draw a line since the beginning...Caz, Kane, Mos/Thought, Lupe. Any one of those you could make an argument for being the most naturally gifted of all time.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Thu Aug-17-17 04:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "It's close"
In response to Reply # 0

But as far as putting verses together and the technical aspect of rhyming, Lupe is clearly the best.

I prefer Kendrick's catalog, mostly because Kendrick's ability to craft albums filled with compelling themes is better, but Tetsuo and Youth really blew me away with not only the complexity of the lyricism but the types of conceptual approaches he used.

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1815 posts
Fri Aug-18-17 07:27 PM

3. "kendrick easily"
In response to Reply # 0

Kendrick does what lupe does without putting you to sleep.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

beatnik
Member since Oct 24th 2004
2950 posts
Sat Aug-19-17 01:31 AM

4. "RE: Lupe vs Kendrick: Flat out better rapper?"
In response to Reply # 0

Maaaan

Kendrick definitely has more tricks in his bag, but Lupe is the master of inflection akin to Hov, he don't have to get loud to get the point across

both are dope live, Lu doing "Murals" live was just as dope as Kendrick doing "I" on SNL

not voting and saying it's a tie

lyrically though Lupe all day

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

https://soundcloud.com/dabeatnik/drumpf-beer

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Sat Aug-19-17 10:02 AM

5. "Kendrick is a far better overall artist, Lupe is a far better rapper"
In response to Reply # 0

Kendrick's overall musicality/creativity/artistic direction make him the greatest, but as a pure lyricist, I rarely if ever have felt compelled to read Kendrick lyrics or would want to hear him do a verse acapella. Lupe has plenty of mindblowingly good verses that would still be great acapella.

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Sun Aug-20-17 07:55 AM

6. "Kendrick"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Aug-20-17 07:55 AM by Kosa12

Lupe is clearly better at the technical aspect of lyricism, people have already said his lyrics are more impressive on paper, which is probably true. Kendrick is better at almost everything else that rapper entails like: variety of flows, cadences, variety/use of the voice, song structures, hooks, choosing beats - though I'd say it's a tie on content but Kendrick is often more immediate, which depending on who you are could be better or worse. Since I think Kendrick is great technically as well, he takes it overall. How Kendrick uses what he is better at also makes him more effective emotionally. Kendrick doesn't have a "Mural" and never will, but with albums that I like as much as TPAB and GKMC he doesn't need one for me. That said, I still think Lupe has at least one more great album in him - Tetsuo was fantastic as was the mixtape that followed that year but I think he can go ever higher than that - specifically beat wise. Patiently awaiting his next album.

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

stone_phalanges
1815 posts
Sun Aug-20-17 03:21 PM

7. "The question is better rapper..."
In response to Reply # 0

Not who's rhyme I would rather read on paper. I have books and Maya Angelou if I want to read poems.

Not really seeing them as comparable in that regard. I think rapping is about making music, and Kendrick wins hands down in music.

www.anwarmorse.com

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Sun Aug-20-17 04:49 PM

8. "Speaking of Lupe, he quietly dropped a vid for Made In The USA."
In response to Reply # 0

...and it's pretty interesting IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fFT2PvztMk

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Sun Aug-20-17 05:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "good question"
In response to Reply # 0

i want to say K-Dot based on my initial feeling but I don't know if Kendrick has a song as good as Lupe Fiasco's "Mural" in his catalog. I listen to "Mural" at least twice a week and I'm always struck with the same sense of awe.

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Tue Aug-22-17 11:28 AM

14. "^^^ all.of.this."
In response to Reply # 9

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Mon Aug-21-17 09:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Kendrick literally has about 500 more styles than Lupe"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't see how anyone can say Lupe is a better rapper than Kendrick. You may like Lupe's songs more than Kendrick's, but better rapper? From a technical perspective? Fuck no.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

stone_phalanges
1815 posts
Tue Aug-22-17 08:36 AM

11. "I feel the opposite"
In response to Reply # 10

I could see how someone may think lupe is better technically, but rap means music to me, and I don't see how you can say Kendrick isn't far better at making songs.

I think Kendrick is the better rapper, if I wasn't being clear.

www.anwarmorse.com

Garhart Poppwell
18116 posts
Tue Aug-22-17 08:57 AM

12. "rapping is an aspect of music, like singing or drumming"
In response to Reply # 11

but I don't think having multiple styles equates to being better at rapping. Lupe's skill is transcendent in a way that Kendrick's isn't. I shut off Kendrick songs sometimes because of the grumbling and dumb ass voices he makes, but with Lupe I can put on a verse and just marvel at his talent even if I don't like the song.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

stone_phalanges
1815 posts
Tue Aug-22-17 11:14 AM

13. "gonna have to agree to disagree"
In response to Reply # 12

I just don't enjoy lupe's music very much. I think separating a rapper's 'skill' at rap from the music he makes is inappropriate.

Additionally Lupe has monotonous quality to his rhymes, especially in his more lyrically dense material. I think it robs his raps of musicality. Kendrick's skill is such that he can make simple things sound complex, or conversely dense, or wordy passages can sound simple.

Bottom line whether dense or simple I can understand Kendrick and I never feel like following his rhyme or line of thought is difficult. Lupe on the other hand listening to him feels like work to me.

Then again maybe I just don't mess with Lupe's beats.

www.anwarmorse.com

Garhart Poppwell
18116 posts
Tue Aug-22-17 05:10 PM

17. "oh it's appropriate in this case"
In response to Reply # 13

because the OP is talking about ability to rap strictly. In any other case I'd say the same as you.

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Tue Aug-22-17 11:33 AM

15. "I love them both and think they're both dope as fuck..."
In response to Reply # 0

I have to be in the mood to listen to Kendrick. I never don't want to hear Lu.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57006 posts
Tue Aug-22-17 02:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "what does Kendrick think of MM ?"
In response to Reply # 0

UncleClimax
Charter member
13786 posts
Fri Aug-25-17 05:36 PM

18. "lol @ this being close"
In response to Reply # 0

what kinda crackhead is voting Lupe? lmao

“Be uncomfortable; be sand, not oil, to the machinery of the world.”
- Gunter Eich

Lobby The Lesson topic #2994487 Previous topic | Next topic