Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2994316

Subject: "Prince Paul on the Old School (Wax Poetics)" Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Fri Aug-11-17 12:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Prince Paul on the Old School (Wax Poetics)"

While some old school hip-hop fans never tire of arguing over who “created” hip-hop, there is no denying that it was Kool Herc’s jam thrown on August 11, 1973, was a pivotal party that helped get the aural revolution started. To celebrate the forty-fourth anniversary of that boogie-down night, Google celebrates with hip-hop-inspired Doodle (designed by Def Jam icon Cey Adams) that clicks through to feature an interactive turntable, iconic breakbeats, and hip-hop history content. Partnering with Mass Appeal, producer Prince Paul was commissioned to supply the project with three different beats constructed from records featured in the Doodle.

“The challenge was that all the beats had to be 110 bpm, which is a disco tempo, but I figured out how to make it funky,” Prince Paul says. “I tried to find a bridge between the original school and what I do. The end result, I think, came out pretty cool.” The respected producer began his career as DJ for Stetsasonic and later gained fame as the producer for De La Soul, 3rd Bass, Gravediggaz. and Vernon Reid; his solo albums include Psychoanalysis: What is It? and A Prince Among Thieves. “There are a lot of young rap fans who think the music started with G-Unit, so hopefully this project will give them a chance to learn a bit of history.”

http://www.waxpoetics.com/blog/features/articles/prince-paul-speaks-birth-hip-hop-googles-celebration

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Prince Paul on the Old School (Wax Poetics)
Aug 14th 2017

spidey
Charter member
13125 posts
Mon Aug-14-17 10:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Prince Paul on the Old School (Wax Poetics)"
In response to Reply # 0

Up.

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #2994316 Previous topic | Next topic