Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2994308

Subject: "Blue Note officially releases Van Hunt's "Popular" LP (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Fri Aug-11-17 09:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Blue Note officially releases Van Hunt's "Popular" LP (swipe)"

http://www.bluenote.com/news/van-hunt-never-released-album-popular-out-now.

Blue Note Records has released Popular, the previously unreleased 3rd album from singer-songwriter Van Hunt, which was shelved a decade ago. The album is available digitally today to stream or download, find it here.

Popular was originally intended for release in January 2008, but was pulled from Blue Note’s release schedule in late 2007 during a tumultuous time for the label’s prior parent company EMI. Hunt had been moved to Blue Note’s roster following the release of two albums for EMI’s Capitol Records: Van Hunt (2004) and On the Jungle Floor (2006).

In 2016, Hunt re-approached Blue Note (now underneath the Capitol Music Group, a division of the Universal Music Group) to reconsider releasing the album. Current Blue Note President Don Was—who has cultivated a movement of forward-thinking artists who blur the lines of R&B, hip-hop, funk, rock and jazz like Robert Glasper, José James, and Chris Dave—readily agreed, allowing the album to finally see the light of day.

“Popular was so far ahead of its time that it sounds fresh today and reaffirms Van Hunt as an important musical voice,” says Was. “The opportunity to right this wrong is both karmically and musically solid.”

Popular’s 14 tracks show the evolution of Hunt’s sound from his first two albums, an assemblage of funk, rock, soul and all styles in between that followed in the vein of his primary influences: Prince and Sly Stone. LA Weekly called the album “a left-field stunner” for its “trippy fusion of funk grooves, punk guitar and soul vocals.”

“This record is all the way me,” said Hunt in 2007. “Without a doubt, it’s certainly personal, in its sound, in its lyrics. I wouldn’t necessarily call it autobiographical, but it’s all about how I feel. Picasso said that art should disrupt, and it does that a bit.”

10 years later Hunt reflects back and looks ahead: “I put my whole world into making this record. But looking back, my world was a different place then. I was different, then. I thought my world was all there was. I was to learn that the emotions on that record couldn't overwhelm the events that would befall its release. Piracy, changing technology, collapsing economy – we – this entire industry – went under.

“One lesson remains obvious, though: we are all responsible for the society that births our culture, and the manner in which it is nurtured. And that is why I approached Blue Note with an idea for a fresh start. My strength allows me to be proud of the last 10 years. Their sincerity allows me to be excited about the next.

“I've cried three times in the last 10 years. And none of those were when i was told that Popular wouldn't be released. I cried whenever I felt justified for making that record. In the face of a churning reality, it took one online comment from a listener, and two emails from Blue Note – one with a release date, and one with the album's press release – to let me know I wasn't crazy for hanging on all this time.”

Read Hunt’s full statement at vanhunt.com.

http://vanhunt.com/van-hunts-popular-released.

On August 11, 2017 Blue Note Records released Van’s third album “Popular”. Shelved since 2007, is now finally available to stream and purchase (follow this link).

From Van:

“I put my whole world into making this record. But looking back, my world was a different place then. I was different, then. I thought my world was all there was. I was to learn that the emotions on that record couldn’t overwhelm the events that would befall its release. piracy, changing technology, collapsing economy — we — this entire industry — went under.

I say, “we” because while my peers celebrated the crumbling of the major label system, I lamented the loss of an infrastructure that had produced the magic that made me want to make music. Listen to Sam Cooke’s ‘A Change is Gonna Come’ and tell me where in today’s commercial landscape, with the focus on creating connections between services and customers – and not content, can that kind of raw emotion be shaped by state of the art engineering and packaged up for a listening audience? There was much more than an economic lattice that was shifting, there was a channel for apprenticeship of craft that was closing. It was the eve of revolution; and the morning after awaited. only now, recording artists had fewer tools with which to face it. I suspected that, despite the glee with which “indies” cheered the death of goliath, every minor wants to be a major — and as with all revolutions, lamentations are paved over by first memories while the new business model is formed from old architecture and unknown phenomena. One lesson remains obvious, though: we are all responsible for the society that births our culture, and the manner in which it is nurtured. And that is why I approached blue note with an idea for a fresh start. My strength allows me to be proud of the last 10 years. Their sincerity allows me to be excited about the next.

I’ve cried three times in the last 10 years. And none of those were when I was told that ‘Popular’ wouldn’t be released. I cried whenever I felt justified for making that record. In the face of a churning reality, it took one online comment from a listener, and two emails from Blue Note — one with a release date, and one with the album’s press release – to let me know I wasn’t crazy for hanging on all this time.

And, if I may allow myself one more indulgence, I will wade in the praise of my woman – the hidden source of this record. She said, “you will show them what timelessness means.” And another quote from a friend says, “You get mad respect as an artist and in these days of false idols and idiocy that means something. Anybody that can produce beauty in the midst of this shit is Enlightened.”
---

well SHEIT.
it's about.fucking.time.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
A classic for sure...
Aug 11th 2017
Feelings!
Aug 11th 2017
RE: Feelings!
Aug 13th 2017

201cue
Member since Jan 04th 2007
2204 posts
Fri Aug-11-17 09:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "A classic for sure..."
In response to Reply # 0

...along the same lines and the mystique as Bilal's Love for Sale. It won't be my little secret anymore, but glad it's seeing release.

--------------------------------------
I ain't NEVER seen a hungry, happy muthaf*cka!

Heavy Ro'
Jay Rock - Redemption
Roc Marci - RR2
Travis Scott - Astroworld
Taz Arnold - rAd americA

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Aug-11-17 05:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Feelings!"
In response to Reply # 0

The jam. I love this album so much I was HOT when VH abandoned this sound for that Punk thing he did. I wanted that FUNK, dammit. He's got it in him. He should bring it.

fuck you.

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Sun Aug-13-17 10:46 AM

3. "RE: Feelings!"
In response to Reply # 2

>The jam. I love this album so much I was HOT when VH
>abandoned this sound for that Punk thing he did. I wanted that
>FUNK, dammit. He's got it in him. He should bring it.

There's so many strong jams on this album. And yeah, I was Love for Sale-level sad when it was clear that the album wasn't coming for real. I'm still disappointed that Van never got bigger.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2994308 Previous topic | Next topic