Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2993805

Subject: "Pre-order Esperanza's limited to 7,777 9/17 live stream thing - OKP swip..." Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13926 posts
Thu Jul-27-17 01:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Pre-order Esperanza's limited to 7,777 9/17 live stream thing - OKP swip..."
Thu Jul-27-17 01:52 PM by c71

Esperanza's plans to do some 3 day straight creating an album and says after mixing it she'll only press up around 7,777 copies of this 3 day creation. She's doing it to "peel back the layers that creators usually build up when they create music/art.

There is a video of Esperanza explaining this project in the twitter link. If this sounds good to you, you might want to pre-order before the 7,777 copies are already pre-bought.

https://twitter.com/EspeSpalding/status/890298967782764545

http://www.okayplayer.com/music/esperanza-spalding-will-livestream-creation-new-album-exposure.html

Esperanza Spalding Will Livestream The Creation of Her New Album 'Exposure'

POSTED BY ZO

The modern jazz giant is bringing fans to the inner-circle for her next album

As if a tenured spot at an Ivy League institution weren’t enough of a badge to wear,Esperanza Spalding has cooked up quite the concept for her next album.

Exposure, the follow-up to 2016’s Emily’s D+Evolution, will be written and recorded before the eyes of fans in a 77-hour livestream that invites all to witness an on-the-fly, off-the-cuff conception. On September 12th at 12pm EST, Spalding will enter the booth with a crew of musicians (promising special guests galore) and showcase the album’s creation, cover-to-cover, on Facebook Live. Spalding claims nothing has been prepared (no songs written, no notes to scour) and that what viewers will witness is an organically improvised album construction, including requisite time for rest. Once the album is finished, 7,777 copies will be pressed and made available, though a precise date for release has yet to be revealed. Mixing and mastering can be a grueling drawn-out process, but you can expect Exposure to arrive soon after the broadcast.

Watch Esperanza Spalding detail her project in the clip below and hold tight for theExposure livestream. Hit the link below to revisit Emily’s D+Evolution via iTunes.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm hoping these don't sell out too fast
Jul 27th 2017
RE: I'm hoping these don't sell out too fast
Jul 28th 2017
Thank you for this info.
Jul 27th 2017
that's what I do - yes
Jul 27th 2017
CD pre-ordered
Jul 28th 2017
Doesn't she have to write the music out?
Jul 31st 2017
the twitter link sort of describes what she is going to do
Jul 31st 2017
Esperanza Spalding Is the Most Audacious Innovator in Jazz - Time
Sep 08th 2017
Random question, does she have anymore upbeat type songs such as
Sep 08th 2017
Yes and no
Sep 11th 2017
Live Stream Started
Sep 12th 2017
I wish this was streaming on YouTube....
Sep 12th 2017
Is anyone watching this?!
Sep 13th 2017
She is fucking brilliant
Sep 14th 2017
Thank the Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ I made it through
Sep 15th 2017
This was an in incredible experience
Sep 16th 2017
even though I only saw a brief clip of Esperanza working something out
Sep 16th 2017
Did any guests show up n/m?
Sep 16th 2017
      Robert Glasper and Layla Hathaway were the two I recognized
Sep 17th 2017
      RE: Did any guests show up n/m?
Sep 19th 2017
Final take of the the song with Robert Glasper
Sep 17th 2017
thanks for posting
Sep 18th 2017
Various clips of the event - some over an hour long
Sep 25th 2017
Anyone else got the CD and/or vinyl?
Dec 16th 2017
mine isn't getting here until Monday unfortunately
Dec 16th 2017
Mine vinyl is on its way. Does there happen to be
Dec 16th 2017
I purposefully want to keep my record sealed.
Dec 20th 2017
Nope. No download card
Dec 20th 2017
My vinyl should be in today
Dec 18th 2017
I so wanna marry her.
Dec 17th 2017
Um...inbox? #prayerhandsemoji
Dec 18th 2017
RE: Um...inbox? #prayerhandsemoji
Dec 18th 2017
Dec 21st 2017
Dec 21st 2017
inbox por favor.
Dec 24th 2017
      inbox please!
Dec 29th 2017
           Would very much appericate an inbox drop
Dec 30th 2017

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Thu Jul-27-17 01:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm hoping these don't sell out too fast"
In response to Reply # 0

I can't throw $60 at the vinyl right now.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 03:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: I'm hoping these don't sell out too fast"
In response to Reply # 1

>I can't throw $60 at the vinyl right now.

I dig Esperanza but I won't ever be spending that much on her records.

Now Erykah? Maybe yes.

I look forward to the Zippyshare link when it drops.

*shrugs unapologetically*

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Thu Jul-27-17 02:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Thank you for this info."
In response to Reply # 0

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

c71
13926 posts
Thu Jul-27-17 02:07 PM

3. "that's what I do - yes"
In response to Reply # 2

you're welcome

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 04:48 PM

5. "CD pre-ordered"
In response to Reply # 0

her last album was the shit

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 12:49 PM

6. "Doesn't she have to write the music out?"
In response to Reply # 0

If so how many songs can she do in 77 hours w/sleep breaks?!?

...guess I'm gonna have to watch the stream and find out.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

c71
13926 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 01:50 PM

7. "the twitter link sort of describes what she is going to do"
In response to Reply # 6

She says in the video link that she and whoever is going to be involved is going to go in there with no "planned" ideas whatsoever (obviously, if the others with her are "concerned" about how they are going to sound, those collaborators might spend some time sort of "planning" whatever they might play for the time).

Since Esperanza is sort of a fun person, I'm not sure how much Esperanza will "police" her collaborators about going into the 3 days with absolutely no planned musical ideas.

As far as having to "write" music - rock bands and funk bands are known to "create" music from "jamming." "Jamming" seems to be a mixture of previous musical ideas (their own or somebody else's), making mistakes to come up with "new" musical ideas, and whatever "creativity" can come from just playing together on a new moment in time.

So...

no jazz bands, funk band and rock bands don't have to "write" out anything previously to make new music.

Obviously jazz has the tradition of free-jazz where the creation mostly is supposed to be right then and there when the jazz musicians are playing (but obviously many have said free jazz and jazz improvisation in general can be "grounded" in musical statements that the musicians are inclined to repeat - even if they try to "change" those often repeated music statements here and there when making free-jazz or improvising in general).

So, no Esperanza and her collaborators for those 3 days don't have to write out what they are going to do that day.

The question is: "will it be any good if done this way?"

That will be based on how much Esperanza and the musicians "plan" or "write" while in the situation those 3 days. Esperanza could do what Miles Davis said he did in the "Bitches Brew" sessions, which is write out or just verbalize a few musical ideas and instructions with some kind of direction to it ("play it crazy", "play it 'off-kilter'", "play it sloppy", etc.) and just let the musicians "jam" on those brief ideas for a while.

Esperanza said that she and the musicians will be checking the feedback they get from those watching the live-stream, so if people write in that the music should go off in a different direction or feeling, perhaps Esperanza and the musicians will take those cues from the audience and adjust what music they start to come up with in the remaining time they have in the 3 days.

Esperanza did say that they would be taking breaks to rest and probably evaluate and adjust what they are doing and, of course, read the feedback that she and the musicians are getting from the audience.

This project is sort of like Esperanza saying that she and the musicians are so good at writing songs and jazz improvisation and "being creative" in general, that she and the musicians can do something in the space of 3 straight days (without planning) that can show something about how creativity works and develops.

c71
13926 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 04:00 PM

8. "Esperanza Spalding Is the Most Audacious Innovator in Jazz - Time"
In response to Reply # 0

http://time.com/4931070/esperanza-spalding/

Why Esperanza Spalding Is the Most Audacious Innovator in Jazz
Raisa Bruner

Sep 07, 2017

On Sept. 12 at noon E.T., a corner of Facebook will flicker to life, and over the next 77 live-streamed hours, Esperanza Spalding will write and record her next album, Exposure. Guest musicians are likely to drop in, and viewers will be able to chat with the record's creator during an event that will be the first of its kind. You might call it a stunt--if Spalding weren't at the helm. The 32-year-old Grammy-winning singer-songwriter and jazz bassist has come to be known as a prodigy's prodigy for good reason.

Time: How did you come up with this concept?

Two months ago, I felt a strong urge to make and disseminate whatever the hell I actually am. In some ways, this is filled with the hope that this will be cathartic for me as a person and as a creator to dive into an environment where the only thing I can do is just be me. And to let whatever's coming out at the moment be seen, heard and developed.

Also, I realized I'm best at improvising when there's no time for me to assess, judge, second-guess or even plan. In my experience, the more time that goes by between inspiration striking and that inspiration being developed and formulated and mixed and refined for public consumption, the further we get from the magic that was in the initial hit of inspiration.

Time: Makes sense. Improvisation has a rich legacy in jazz.

I've been spending a lot of time with Wayne Shorter over the past few years, and I see him as my mentor--my guru, so to speak, as a creator. He taught me a lot about the benefits of approaching communication, performance, composition, solos, melodies and lyrics without an agenda. You have to be willing to respond to completely unexpected stimulus. I've really taken this philosophy to heart.

Time: Who do you want to listen to this music?

I don't know! Anybody who would like to listen. I guess that's part of what we'll find out: who likes this music.

Time: Seventy-seven hours. What's the significance of the number seven to you?

First of all, I just like the number and always have. Then I was in this elevator with this reverend at a hotel, and we were going to the seventh floor. He said, "Seven is a divine number. It's the number of completion. It represents the earthly culmination of a divine thought." He got off the elevator, and I thought, I love that. The premise of this project is that all the facets of us as creators only need the right environment to coalesce into completeness.

Time: As an artist, do you feel pressure to have a certain political perspective or to stand for something?

No, I don't. You might hear a few comments that are loud, or you might hear something from your manager or your label, or a statistics report about who listens to you on Spotify. But it's not possible to get a comprehensive picture of how people perceive you and then keep responding to that. Hopefully, the accumulated sum of my work will speak on its own, despite whatever role I'm perceived as playing.

Time: Which contemporary artists inspire you?

I admire Tune-Yards and Nicholas Payton. I listen to a lot of MF Doom. And Geri Allen. I've been listening to her almost every day for many hours, because she recently passed.

Time: You've said that music was an important part of your early childhood education, and this year you were appointed a professor of the practice of music at Harvard. What has returning to academia been like?

I love being surrounded by knowledge and that hunger to disseminate it, to absorb it and to apply it.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51981 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 05:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Random question, does she have anymore upbeat type songs such as"
In response to Reply # 0

"I know you know?"

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 10:22 AM

10. "Yes and no"
In response to Reply # 9

She's got upbeat stuff but she hasn't really revisited that sound.
You should check her Radio Music Society album, as the name suggests, it's her take on more radio friendly songs

Radio Song
Crowned and Kissed
Black Gold
I Can't Help It (Mj Cover)
City of Roses

and from her most recent album, Emily's D+Evolution, you should give a listen to

Judas
Rest in Pleasure
Unconditional Love

--

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Tue Sep-12-17 11:10 AM

11. "Live Stream Started"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.facebook.com/EsperanzaSpalding/videos/10159220183305527/

--

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Tue Sep-12-17 09:06 PM

12. "I wish this was streaming on YouTube...."
In response to Reply # 11

so I could stream it on my TV instead of listening through these tiny speakers.

The moments where the song finally comes together are the best parts so far.
---------------------------------------

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Wed Sep-13-17 10:58 PM

13. "Is anyone watching this?!"
In response to Reply # 0

It's kinda incredible watching this take shape. I've got in on in the background for a few hours at work and for a few hours at home. But seeing a song go from her humming some melody, to putting some bass work on it, to having a drummer come in, to having Robert Glasper come in to do the piano work, and just watching it build is so dope.

And he engineer. Man that dude is a master. They are having him put in so much work.

--

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Thu Sep-14-17 12:27 AM

14. "She is fucking brilliant"
In response to Reply # 0

and this part right now with Espe, Glasper, Justin Tyson, and the white guy on guitar is so ridiculously good. She's a genius.

--

c71
13926 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 04:41 PM

15. "Thank the Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ I made it through"
In response to Reply # 0

hurricane Irma in Georgia

if not for that situation, I would have watched.

Thank God I survived.

Kosa12
4988 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 10:32 AM

16. "This was an in incredible experience"
In response to Reply # 0

I watched it pretty much whenever I could, to have a look into her creative process like that was amazing and the songs that I did catch sounded great, I wonder if anyone else will do this. All the records sold out so it was definitely a success.

----------

c71
13926 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 11:19 AM

17. "even though I only saw a brief clip of Esperanza working something out"
In response to Reply # 16

the only artists/musicians who would do something similar (PJ Harvey did a thing about allowing an audience to watch her record an album, but I don't think that PJ Harvey album was created without previous planning, like Esperanza said her project was) are artists/musicians who value doing something "in the now" as opposed to "planning"/"crafting"/"preparing".

The clip I saw had Esperanza working with lyrics so she didn't seem to go the "free-jazz" route I thought she would go, so most musicians/songwriters who deal with lyrics want to prepare because those musicians/songwriters don't usually value anything they come up with in a very brief period of time - like this project.

It's nice to have an artist/songwriter who isn't afraid of coming up with something "forced" or "embarrassing" in a short period of time, but....that seems like something for an artist/songwriter who just has a "thing" for "irreverent" wordplay.

Musicians who just deal with instrumental music don't mind just coming up with music on the spot without much preparation - that's what free jazz was all about (and maybe still is about).

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 05:51 PM

18. "Did any guests show up n/m?"
In response to Reply # 16

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Sun Sep-17-17 12:59 PM

19. "Robert Glasper and Layla Hathaway were the two I recognized"
In response to Reply # 18

Not sure who else. But the process with Glasper of putting that song together was fucking incredible.

--

Dix
Member since Sep 04th 2009
172 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 09:56 AM

22. "RE: Did any guests show up n/m?"
In response to Reply # 18

Andrew Bird

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Sun Sep-17-17 01:10 PM

20. "Final take of the the song with Robert Glasper"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Sep-17-17 01:12 PM by Hitokiri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8rK_H51ED4&

Truthfully there's like 45 minutes leading up to this take of just breathtaking shit happening. They recorded some takes and then went in the control booth, listened, and talked about it. Esperanza told Robert that it was too dense and told him what she wanted out of his key work. The arrangement is so tricky that the musicians asked her to lead them with her singing (as she does in the clip) and the fact that she could remember such a complex thing that she had only just created (and with them!) is a testament to her brilliance. I was kinda peeved at the price, but I'm glad I came up off tat $60 for the lp

--

c71
13926 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 11:46 AM

21. "thanks for posting"
In response to Reply # 20

yes

c71
13926 posts
Mon Sep-25-17 03:48 PM

23. "Various clips of the event - some over an hour long"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idru4_xOg7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW-omPBQt7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1LVT3gdDBo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTwVrwx9UX0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRH6uidFpD0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVEVzSyAJ00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXllfHU4Zo4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj2Wa1oyUHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU36xLxflYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7exg2-sQxQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Z0eRscOWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzIHNWFbxJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwSL3YrSIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b022b0iyrDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5oxi9Jxp78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW-omPBQt7Y&t=10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot061z-Q7fM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuxvVLPwhmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITCaXTSWIlY

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Sat Dec-16-17 03:55 PM

24. "Anyone else got the CD and/or vinyl?"
In response to Reply # 0

Got both today. Just started listening to the CD. I dunno if that was announced, but there's another CD of pre-recorded material as well; going by the names of the songs, the pre-recorded material appears to be totally different from the stuff on the Exposure album, but I dunno if that's the case or not.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Kosa12
4988 posts
Sat Dec-16-17 04:21 PM

25. "mine isn't getting here until Monday unfortunately"
In response to Reply # 24

----------

bills
Member since Feb 17th 2007
1197 posts
Sat Dec-16-17 04:36 PM

26. "Mine vinyl is on its way. Does there happen to be"

a download card?

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Wed Dec-20-17 08:51 AM

31. "I purposefully want to keep my record sealed."
In response to Reply # 26

so sorry for not giving you an answer, but I didn't want to open up the record to look inside for a card.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Wed Dec-20-17 09:52 AM

32. "Nope. No download card"
In response to Reply # 26

--

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Mon Dec-18-17 10:04 AM

28. "My vinyl should be in today"
Mon Dec-18-17 10:04 AM by Hitokiri

Can't wait to hear it

--

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Sun Dec-17-17 05:02 PM

27. "I so wanna marry her."
In response to Reply # 0

I know thas random and irrelevant as fuck but..*ShruggleSimmonz*..

Fugg it!

Thas my wifey right dere.

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

theeraser
Member since Feb 11th 2007
7218 posts
Mon Dec-18-17 06:00 PM

29. "Um...inbox? #prayerhandsemoji"
In response to Reply # 0

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Mon Dec-18-17 06:03 PM

30. "RE: Um...inbox? #prayerhandsemoji"
In response to Reply # 29

Second. I tried to buy the joint while they were recording and it had already sold out. ;-(

--

Johnny
Charter member
4446 posts
Thu Dec-21-17 04:25 PM

33. "RE: Um...inbox? #prayerhandsemoji"
In response to Reply # 30

sent to both of you

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Thu Dec-21-17 04:26 PM

34. "RE: Um...inbox? #prayerhandsemoji"
In response to Reply # 33

Got it. Thank you!

--

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Sun Dec-24-17 03:34 AM

35. "inbox por favor."
In response to Reply # 29

Eddy
Member since Jul 07th 2003
2465 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 02:19 PM

36. "inbox please!"
In response to Reply # 35

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8598 posts
Sat Dec-30-17 11:15 AM

37. "Would very much appericate an inbox drop"
In response to Reply # 36

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Lobby The Lesson topic #2993805 Previous topic | Next topic