Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2993804

Subject: "The Roots and Bilal - "it ain't fair" from "Detroit" sdtrk - RS swipe" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Thu Jul-27-17 01:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Roots and Bilal - "it ain't fair" from "Detroit" sdtrk - RS swipe"

volume seems kind of muted but the song (seems to need to be "fuller")

good song

(vevo link in the link)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-the-roots-explosive-new-song-for-detroit-soundtrack-w494030

Hear the Roots' Explosive 'It Ain't Fair' for 'Detroit' Soundtrack
Hip-hop outfit crafts fiery Motown homage alongside singer Bilal

By Jon Blistein

The Roots and singer Bilal unveiled a ferocious new song, "It Ain't Fair." The track will appear on the soundtrack for Kathryn Bigelow's new film Detroit, about the 1967 12th Street riot.

Oscar-winning filmmaker turns the Motor City's 1967 riot into devastating case study of police brutality, misjustice and need for healing

The Detroit soundtrack is full of Sixties soul, doo-wop and R&B and boasts several classic Motown acts including Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, Brenda Holloway and the Elgins. On "It Ain't Fair," the Roots craft a faithful homage to the Motown sound with an orchestral pop melange of horns, strings, guitar and drums. Bilal opens the track with an a cappella dirge and brings the song to a searing and soulful conclusion while Roots MC Black Thought tears through the middle with relentless righteousness: "Justice is never color blind, never gun shy," he spits. "For one crime, you may never see the sunshine."

"This song is the slow burning fire inside all of our souls," Roots drummer Questlove tells Rolling Stone. "Watching the movie clearly shows that life in 1967 isn't that much different in 2017 or 1897 for that matter. We wanted to hit many a bird with one stone: Humanize the pain, confusion and sadness. But also express the overdue anger. Not only to the powers that be but also to those on the sideline that can afford to turn the other way because it doesn't effect them at the moment."

Detroit chronicles the 1967 12th Street riot with an eye towards both its historical context and continued relevance in the age of Black Lives Matter. While the movie tracks the riot from its beginning – a police raid of a black-owned business hosting an illegal bar – it focuses specifically on the events at the Algiers Motel. There, three black men were killed after a stand-off with police, while seven black men and two white women were severely beaten. Three officers were charged in the incident and all were found not guilty.

The film stars John Boyega, Algee Smith, Jacob Latimore, Jason Mitchell, Hannah Murray, Kaitlyn Dever and Will Poulter. Detroit marks Bigelow's first feature-length film since 2012's Zero Dark Thirty and finds her reuniting with screenwriter Mark Boal, who wrote both Zero Dark Thirty and The Hurt Locker.

The film opens August 4th, while the soundtrack arrives July 28th via Motown.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
GOAT.
Jul 27th 2017
yeah, I was like "what?" - he really came off
Jul 27th 2017
I swear man...if we get Dice on the album hooks I'm gonna lose it!
Jul 27th 2017
me too, man
Jul 27th 2017
      FUCK 2 hooks...1 verse TOPS
Jul 27th 2017
           RE: FUCK 2 hooks...1 verse TOPS
Jul 28th 2017
           I'm with you
Jul 28th 2017
                RE: I'm with you
Jul 28th 2017
                Point taken, but the part below is hilarious
Jul 29th 2017
                Really?
Jul 28th 2017
                     RE: Really?
Jul 29th 2017
Jul 30th 2017
Jul 30th 2017
Jul 30th 2017
                                    people can say fans should let go whenever artists change
Jul 30th 2017
                                    Clearly there is a reason it's been discussed a lot on here
Jul 30th 2017
                                    so...we aren't supposed to talk about music on a music forum?
Jul 30th 2017
                                         it really isn't about honor
Aug 01st 2017
                                              I can't believe you typed that shit
Aug 01st 2017
                                                   don't worry about it
Aug 01st 2017
           Amen
Jul 28th 2017
I want to hear this song again...
Jul 28th 2017
i love it
Jul 28th 2017
Where to buy?
Jul 28th 2017
Even more of a torture fest
Aug 09th 2017
s/o to 15 for letting us peep the process on 'gram
Jul 28th 2017
RE: The Roots and Bilal - "it ain't fair" from "Detroit" sdtrk - RS swip...
Jul 30th 2017
I wish the song kept going....
Jul 30th 2017
Wow. This is the type of stuff I'm always hoping for from The Roots.
Jul 30th 2017
Live on Fallon
Aug 08th 2017
Excellent
Aug 08th 2017
yep
Aug 08th 2017
Amazing
Aug 08th 2017
black thought might have the best vocal clarity on stage
Aug 08th 2017
vocal clarity??/
Aug 09th 2017
      niggas gonna find a way to argue even when they agree with you lol.
Aug 09th 2017
      indeed!
Aug 10th 2017
      technically he's just standing there rapping, so yeah vocal clarity
Aug 15th 2017
They showed their asses on that one. And Bilal?
Aug 09th 2017
It's almost funny
Aug 09th 2017
      bro....
Aug 09th 2017
           that's what I love about Bilal's live performances....
Aug 15th 2017
Whenever the next Roots album drops they should get their own week.
Aug 08th 2017
This better be nominated for best original song at the Oscars
Aug 08th 2017
It has to be right?
Aug 08th 2017
hopefully they play it for the required duration during the film
Aug 10th 2017
      It's played during the credits.
Aug 14th 2017
Those guitar licks
Aug 09th 2017
Saw Roots last night at MGM Grand last night...Great show!
Aug 14th 2017
no one other than Bilal should sing that song
Aug 15th 2017
      I don't think so...
Aug 15th 2017

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Thu Jul-27-17 09:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "GOAT."
In response to Reply # 0

if there's a better verse this year than the 2nd jawn on here

I need to hear it.

BT = GOAT.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

c71
13962 posts
Thu Jul-27-17 09:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "yeah, I was like "what?" - he really came off"
In response to Reply # 1

whole song is very good

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Thu Jul-27-17 09:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I swear man...if we get Dice on the album hooks I'm gonna lose it!"
In response to Reply # 0

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4878 posts
Thu Jul-27-17 09:51 PM

4. "me too, man"
In response to Reply # 3

Not sure why nobody in the crew won't check that dude.

2 hooks tops. And that's me being generous.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Thu Jul-27-17 11:04 PM

5. "FUCK 2 hooks...1 verse TOPS"
In response to Reply # 4

The thing is, I don't even dislike Dice. I mean, I hate his hooks and singing but I don't hold shit against him.

He's doing his thing.

He's just better at rapping and should do what he's best at.

With that said, this is all about QUALITY.

and Bilal on the hooks is 100x the QUALITY than what Dice has been doing.

I'm actually surprised ?uesto is cool with the shit considering how on top of the product he is.

I get Bilal may cost more or maybe there are some label politics etc with him doing everything but come on...you have access the vocalists that will take your songs and concepts over the top and you continue to just rock with some super average shit.

Nah man...this track is just more proof.

The OtherSide on Undun stuck out like crazy!

bills
Member since Feb 17th 2007
1199 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 12:33 AM

6. "RE: FUCK 2 hooks...1 verse TOPS"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri Jul-28-17 12:39 AM by bills

>The OtherSide on Undun stuck out like crazy!

I mean...but you didn't like Lighthouse tho? Or Make My? Those two were perfect to me. Tip the Scale was dope too...on undun, I can only see the anti-Dice argument on One Time...and that hook's not bad either, but it would sound better sung by someone else...and produced differently (the vocals)

On the low, the only hook on undun that bothers me is "I Remember"...I'm down with repetition, but the lyrics on that one are a little too circular for me

EDIT: This new song FIE tho

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 01:21 AM

8. "I'm with you"
In response to Reply # 6

The songs you mentioned would have a different texture to them if they had a singer with a classic voice.

Dice's voice gives off a sense of vulnerability. Not necessarily because of the vocal tone, but the lack of polish to his voice fits the songs on undun. As if Redford also wouldn't have a sense of greatness to him.

As far as the folks who don't like Dice, is your issue with the fact that his voice doesn't have a classic sound or that the style of singing - almost like a rock singer whose voice breaks or doesn't have great range - doesn't fit with the songs?

Stadiq
4878 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 10:57 AM

11. "RE: I'm with you"
In response to Reply # 8

>
>As far as the folks who don't like Dice, is your issue with
>the fact that his voice doesn't have a classic sound or that
>the style of singing - almost like a rock singer whose voice
>breaks or doesn't have great range - doesn't fit with the
>songs?

I like Dice, hate his hooks (for the most part).

And its not even his voice as much as how corny those hooks are.

Dude up top mentioned Lighthouse. I've said before that sh!t sounds like a jingle to an anti-depressant commercial or some sh!t.

I find Make My pretty grating too.

Only Dice hook on Undun I liked (that I can think of off the top) is Tip The Scale. And his voice fits it perfect. So, that's why I say I am okay with 1 or 2.

I'd bet money Dice wrote the repetitive a$$ simpleton I Remember hook too.

Anyway, new track is dope.

obsidianchrysalis
8751 posts
Sat Jul-29-17 12:17 AM

16. "Point taken, but the part below is hilarious"
In response to Reply # 11

>Dude up top mentioned Lighthouse. I've said before that sh!t
>sounds like a jingle to an anti-depressant commercial or some
>sh!t.
>

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 12:33 PM

12. "Really?"
In response to Reply # 8

So you don't think a singer like Bilal could give you vulnerability?

I get the "his voice works for the song" angle but I would be willing to bet Bilal would do those songs much better.

Even of those songs are good as is with Dice, when you here OtherSide you think "damn Bilal killed this hook". You can't say that about any Dice feature.

obsidianchrysalis
8751 posts
Sat Jul-29-17 12:16 AM

15. "RE: Really?"
In response to Reply # 12

>So you don't think a singer like Bilal could give you
>vulnerability?
>

>I get the "his voice works for the song" angle but I would be
>willing to bet Bilal would do those songs much better.
>
>Even of those songs are good as is with Dice, when you here
>OtherSide you think "damn Bilal killed this hook". You can't
>say that about any Dice feature.

Okay, after re-listening to undu, especially Make My and Lighthouse your point seems clearer. The songs are alright to me, but listening with a close ear to the vocals of the hooks and imagining someone like Bilal or even Phonte, it's clear that Dice's voice isn't as versatile as it seemed. I still like the hooks well enough, but you do have a point.

You are definitely right about The OtherSide. Bilal fit that hook well because the song is one of the few optimistic songs on the album and the energy of Bilal's voice matches the theme of the song. But the other, more somber songs were okay with Dice's voice to me.

But then again Dice was responsible for a lot of the writing of the album so he probably thought his voice fit the themes of the songs better than a singer with a better voice.

yoplay
Charter member
1440 posts
Sun Jul-30-17 03:22 AM

17. "RE: Really?"
In response to Reply # 12

>Even of those songs are good as is with Dice, when you here
>OtherSide you think "damn Bilal killed this hook". You can't
>say that about any Dice feature.

While I can hear what you're all saying (Now or Never), for the most part I've appreciated the subtlety of Dice's hooks and what he brought to the table. I love Bilal's hook on The Other Side, and many others, but I don't want that on every hook.

As for a time Dice killed a feature, How I Got Over was always a standout to me.

there comes a time in every mans life when he's gotta handle shit up on his own Can't depend on friends to help you in a squeeze, please they got problems of their own---slim kid3

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Sun Jul-30-17 07:36 AM

19. "RE: Really?"
In response to Reply # 17

I love Bilal's hook on The
>Other Side, and many others, but I don't want that on every
>hook.
>

I find it hilarious that people don't think Bilal has the range to give you any style you want...while sounding perfect. He's only proven that on the endless features he's killed.

And the only reason I said Bilal on everything is because Dice does everything. My point is that The Roots have access and have worked with many quality singers throughout their career and I just find it odd they have went this direction.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Sun Jul-30-17 11:49 AM

21. "RE: Really?"
In response to Reply # 19

>And the only reason I said Bilal on everything is because Dice
>does everything. My point is that The Roots have access and
>have worked with many quality singers throughout their career
>and I just find it odd they have went this direction.

Maybe because they, I don't know... feel that direction best represents their artistic intent at this point in their work???

Really, it's not rocket science. The dead horse that is the Dice Raw component of their more recent output has been beaten to such a pulp that it is hard to remember it was ever a horse in the first place. It's silly and tired. If folks don't like it, fine, no one is forcing it upon you --- but at some point, get over it, realize it's the direction the artists themselves want to take, and maybe they're not speaking to you in the same way anymore. Find another band or something, get a hobby, make some new life goals...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

c71
13962 posts
Sun Jul-30-17 12:16 PM

22. "people can say fans should let go whenever artists change"
In response to Reply # 21

but....

fans are known not to do that.

You could say that is lame

but....

we live in a world where people get all worked up over sports and athletes

so...

lameness about stuff people should "let go" seems common

so...

Music fans will keep giving bands/artists feedback instead of moving on

and....

a band like Van Halen for some reason was influenced to go back to someone the fans had "never gotten over leaving" David Lee Roth

so...

fans know bands/artists can be eventually "influenced" by fans who just keep up their gripes.

Eddie Van Halen really didn't want to go back to David Lee Roth but he said the fans really connect with Dave

Immature? maybe but music fans keep it up just like sports fans

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Sun Jul-30-17 12:59 PM

23. "Clearly there is a reason it's been discussed a lot on here"

I also find I funny that you equate me speaking on the situation to men or having anything else on my mind.

The topic came up after the band proved me, and many others, right again with this new track.

They can go in whatever direction they want and I can give my opinion on it. Since when do fans just shut up and not comment on their favorite band?

Stadiq
4878 posts
Sun Jul-30-17 09:24 PM

25. "so...we aren't supposed to talk about music on a music forum?"

This always happens with the Roots btw.

I love the Roots, they are actually my favorite group of all time.

But...whenever something less than positive is said about their output, someone rushes to say some stupid sh!t...no doubt hoping that 15 sees you rushing to their defense.

It isn't about needing life goals...and it isn't even really comparable to sports fans who take things too far.

Its just simply "oh snap, this track dope...I hope there is less Dice hooks this time"

Simple as that. Definitely not Rocket Science as you said.

And not worth coming in to defend the Roots honor. We all still love em.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue Aug-01-17 07:20 AM

26. "it really isn't about honor"
In response to Reply # 25

I have no problem w/folks criticizing any artist, whether they are a fav of mine or not -- I think my post history attests to that. I actually wrote that post way too quickly on a crummy day, so I acknowledge the unnecessary snark. (I had almost forgotten I wrote it all together.)

My perspective is this: I think the easiest and *least* productive form of music discussion/music criticism is one that proceeds from a question of lack in the track (i.e. "what this really needs is...") or basic preference ("ugh, i hate dice raw on the hook!"). This sort of criticism is based primarily in what a listener/audience believes could or should be there, focusing on what would make the piece better in relation to their everyday preferences. This sort of criticism isn't bad -- but it engages very little with the work itself and more with one's own particular musical ideals/preferences. It sheds less light on the work than on the person making the criticism.

I think the hardest and most productive form of music discussion and criticism is one that takes what an artist has given us and attempts to make sense of it not from a place of immediate preference, but with a mind toward what the piece is doing, how it operates, why it feels the way it does, etc. In this case we deal with what is there, rather than what we want to be there or what we think should be there. This is all the more important if we are dealing with something that comes from an artist we respect, someone who we believe makes or is trying to make art.

Sometimes this involves thinking about artist intent, sometimes it doesn't.

In the case of The Roots, I just think the complaints about Dice really are a dead horse. More often than not, major Roots threads over the past few years devolve into "too little BT" and handwringing over Dice's role and voice. Combined with the fact that from a purely preferential standpoint, the general consensus here is that the Roots haven't rocked it well since at least Undun, the result is that there is very little substantial discussion about the music that's there -- which I think is a shame, as it's pretty clear from a number of framing devices that quest and crew at least *wanted* them to have musical and artistic and intellectual heft, whether or not that came off in the end. So instead of asking "why are they hanging tough w/Dice on the hooks?" - which is actually a really interesting question to me - it becomes a game to see who would do "better" on the hooks. Instead of asking what the music is doing, it becomes a groan-fest over why BT only has a few verses (even though we would never rate a Miles album based on the number of notes he played...).

But I'm not naive: positive criticism has and always will be the underdog. It's our default position, all the more so with the true deluge of accessible music now open to us. Quantity isn't going to make it any easier to keep at least a bit of space in our listening habits for different types of music engagement, spaces that ask us to appreciate what's there rather than A&R it from the get go.

-thebigfunk

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Tue Aug-01-17 10:28 AM

27. "I can't believe you typed that shit"
In response to Reply # 26

I'll be back later but in the end, you said a lot just to say "be nice to artists".

Lol @ discussing "why did The Roots go in this direction with Dice" and "what do they want me to feel".

Those questions are already answered. We are past that point.

You are trying too hard to be deep about this.

The end result is that the music isn't as good period.

Criticism comes from the standpoint of "what could improve this"

People get caught up in their feelings.

I'll be back after work...but I think you really need to step down from the ledge.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue Aug-01-17 11:47 AM

28. "don't worry about it"
In response to Reply # 27

>I'll be back later but in the end, you said a lot just to say
>"be nice to artists".

If that's really what you took away from it, then we're not going to have a conversation that will go anywhere -- so don't waste time.

Peace. Listen and discuss in the ways that give you what you need.

-thebigfunk

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 12:48 AM

7. "Amen"
In response to Reply # 5

I have made more than one "I hate dice on the hook" posts over the years. It's just ridiculous.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

obsidianchrysalis
8751 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 02:14 AM

9. "I want to hear this song again..."
In response to Reply # 0

But after the first listen it's pretty good.

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 07:16 AM

10. "i love it"
In response to Reply # 0

i wonder if the brass band will play on the next album.

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 02:24 PM

13. "Where to buy?"
In response to Reply # 0

It's available now.

I swear 'fo God I couldn't find it online until this afternoon, and I checked last night and this AM.

It's on Google Play (my preferred digital music retailer), thankfully.

Does anyone know if this is a digital-only release? Curious to see what the liner notes are like if it's out on CD. Might want to get that instead.

I don't see it on Motown's website. "Detroit Rock City: Music From The Motion Picture" by Kiss keeps popping up when I search for it on Amazon...

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Wed Aug-09-17 09:31 AM

39. "Even more of a torture fest"
In response to Reply # 13

is knowing there's a red vinyl version of the single for this song that apparently isn't available for purchase directly. I believe ?uest posted a photo of it on his instagram and according to one of the comments on the photo, it was only pressed as a promotional item of some sort by Jack White record label.

Meh.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

sfMatt
Member since Jun 20th 2002
10383 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 08:46 PM

14. "s/o to 15 for letting us peep the process on 'gram"
In response to Reply # 0

dope seeing how those horns turned out

yoplay
Charter member
1440 posts
Sun Jul-30-17 03:22 AM

18. "RE: The Roots and Bilal - "it ain't fair" from "Detroit" sdtrk - RS swip..."
In response to Reply # 0

Great song. Can't wait for this next Roots album.

there comes a time in every mans life when he's gotta handle shit up on his own Can't depend on friends to help you in a squeeze, please they got problems of their own---slim kid3

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Sun Jul-30-17 09:05 AM

20. "I wish the song kept going...."
In response to Reply # 0

It's almost always a good thing when Bilal gets to go Full Bilal on a track.

---------------------------------------

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14018 posts
Sun Jul-30-17 08:35 PM

24. "Wow. This is the type of stuff I'm always hoping for from The Roots."
In response to Reply # 0

They can easily make the most soulful original
records AND the dopest Hip Hop records or a mix
thereof in 2017 IF they want to. You have alotta
people trying their best to do both when the roots
could show them all how it's done at will, so
thank the heavens for this record.

I was pretty surprised by the ?uest quote in the
article too about 1967 and 1897. Real talk.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

c71
13962 posts
Tue Aug-08-17 11:25 AM

29. "Live on Fallon"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/3vJDBVJ2HeE

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14018 posts
Tue Aug-08-17 01:03 PM

30. "Excellent"
In response to Reply # 29

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

c71
13962 posts
Tue Aug-08-17 01:04 PM

31. "yep"
In response to Reply # 30

yes

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Tue Aug-08-17 03:00 PM

33. "Amazing"

puts a smile on my face to see BT and The Roots 20+ years in, and still WINNING LARGE.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Tue Aug-08-17 05:08 PM

35. "black thought might have the best vocal clarity on stage"

of any rapper ever.
dude is always crystal and never sloppy.

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Wed Aug-09-17 03:37 PM

41. "vocal clarity??/"
In response to Reply # 35

how about best LIVE performance altogether

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Wed Aug-09-17 08:35 PM

43. "niggas gonna find a way to argue even when they agree with you lol."
In response to Reply # 41

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Thu Aug-10-17 12:28 PM

44. "indeed!"
In response to Reply # 43

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Tue Aug-15-17 12:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
49. "technically he's just standing there rapping, so yeah vocal clarity"
In response to Reply # 41
Tue Aug-15-17 12:36 PM by spirit

It ain't like he's spitting fire (literally actual fire) and swinging from the rafters circa the old David Banner live shows. He's standing still, rapping. And the music was drowning him out a little bit at points.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Wed Aug-09-17 05:17 AM

37. "They showed their asses on that one. And Bilal?"

This is one of those songs I'd love to see live in a club/concert.

Crowd was shook, lol

Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Wed Aug-09-17 09:29 AM

38. "It's almost funny"

how Bilal gets swept up in the emotions of the song, storms off stage, yet no one else misses a beat with the performing the song. I'm not clowning anyone because it's a great performance and a top level song as well, but the juxtaposition of the two emotional states is funny to observe.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Wed Aug-09-17 03:43 PM

42. "bro...."
In response to Reply # 38

when I was back in Philly for the early years of the Black Lily showcases..I remember walking up into the Five Spot while Bilal was performing only to find him screaming the croon lying ON HIS BACK....

it was like walking into a Pentecostal church

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Tue Aug-15-17 05:13 PM

51. "that's what I love about Bilal's live performances...."
In response to Reply # 42

When Bilal lets his singing get him in the feels....the performance just hits another level.

He's exactly like a soloist at a Black Pentacostal church.

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Tue Aug-08-17 02:44 PM

32. "Whenever the next Roots album drops they should get their own week."
In response to Reply # 0

Like The Roots are the musical guest the whole week and we get 5 performances. It would be dope since they prolly won't be doing very much touring and singles and all that.

Plus knowing them they would prolly have different music than the album versions you could sell it as the "The Fallon Sessions" later on.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Tue Aug-08-17 03:04 PM

34. "This better be nominated for best original song at the Oscars"
In response to Reply # 0

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Tue Aug-08-17 07:44 PM

36. "It has to be right?"
In response to Reply # 34

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Thu Aug-10-17 01:49 PM

45. "hopefully they play it for the required duration during the film"
In response to Reply # 34

because I'd love for them to be able to have that chance. It always makes me laugh when ?uest starts waxing poetic about his own stuff though ("This song is the fire that burns in our souls").

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Mon Aug-14-17 06:13 PM

47. "It's played during the credits. "
In response to Reply # 45

Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Wed Aug-09-17 09:33 AM

40. "Those guitar licks"
In response to Reply # 0

after Black Thought's second verse are a thing of beauty. Nice, simple, calm licks to complement the emotional build of what Bilal and Black Thought were saying.

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Mon Aug-14-17 09:24 AM

46. "Saw Roots last night at MGM Grand last night...Great show!"
In response to Reply # 0

They didn't perform It Ain't Fair. Don't know if they felt it would've been a buzzkill or if it's because Bilal wasn't there to perform. Honestly, I can't see anyone else stepping into his footsteps, so that might have been the right decision.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Tue Aug-15-17 12:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
48. "no one other than Bilal should sing that song"
In response to Reply # 46

So, good choice there. My guy from DC said that he thought a large part of the audience leave when Essence left. Did that happen?

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Tue Aug-15-17 03:35 PM

50. "I don't think so..."
In response to Reply # 48

>So, good choice there. My guy from DC said that he thought a
>large part of the audience leave when Essence left. Did that
>happen?

But, I was sitting near the front and didn't really look back. Most of the people I saw get up after Rare Essence were just getting drinks. Saw Quest digging their show in the background. Hopefully, he used it to schedule some interviews for a Go-Go themed show on Questlove Supreme.

Michael Che handled the mic situation well.

Now I did see alot of people leaving two songs early. My old ass should've done the same because I paid the price at work the next day. Glad I stayed though. Black Thought is still one of the best to do it and the band sounded great.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2993804 Previous topic | Next topic