Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2992874

Subject: "John Blackwell - RIP" Previous topic | Next topic
Pete Burns
Member since Oct 18th 2005
5445 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 10:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"John Blackwell - RIP"

http://www.okayplayer.com/music/prince-drummer-john-blackwell-jr.html

Prince’s longtime drummer John Blackwell Jr. has died at the age of 43. Blackwell Jr.’s wife, Yaritza Blackwell, confirmed the news on the drummer’s Instagram page.

LISTEN: Hear Prince’s Unreleased “Father’s Song” off Upcoming Deluxe ‘Purple Rain’ Reissue

Blackwell Jr. had spent the last year fighting brain cancer. Yaritza has been updating fans with updates on his condition. Recently, Blackwell lost use of his right arm after doctors removed a piece of his brain after taking out a tumor.

READ: J’Aime Prince: 13 Times The Purple One References Paris In Song

On the last post, Yaritza posted a picture holding his hand, with the caption:

“My husband incredible drummer John Blackwell Jr. passed the way peacefully in my company today. Thanks God for his life and thanks everyone for their support. Yaritza”

For 15 years, Blackwell Jr. was Prince’s drummer; he joined the New Power Generation in 2000, when he was only a couple of years out of Berklee College of Music.

While he was best known for touring with Prince, he also played with a Justin Timberlake, D’angelo, Bootsy Collins, and more.

After his death was announced, musicians under Prince’s umbrella came out to show respect. Morris Day posted something for him on Facebook:

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RIP
Jul 05th 2017
r.i.p.
Jul 05th 2017
Man. Damn, man.
Jul 05th 2017
What a great talent....
Jul 05th 2017
Rest In Power John Blackwell Jr.
Jul 06th 2017

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 12:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

saw him during Musicology tour, absolutely killed Shhh and other joints. Great drummer for sure.

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17847 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 01:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "r.i.p."
In response to Reply # 0

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayer™

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 05:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Man. Damn, man."
In response to Reply # 0

RIP. I had a soft spot for his work with Prince. Most of the times I saw Prince live John was the drummer. Those shows are the best I've ever seen. Damn.

fuck you.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Wed Jul-05-17 07:22 PM

4. "What a great talent...."
In response to Reply # 0

And an even greater soul.....Rest In Power....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Thu Jul-06-17 09:20 PM

5. "Rest In Power John Blackwell Jr."
In response to Reply # 0

I was shocked to hear about him passing, cause I didn't know he was sick or had cancer either.

What's really shocking that I've known John since our HS days at Keenan, I think the last time I've really talked to him for a while was right after N.E.W.S. came out, other than that I've seen him briefly around town and whatnot.

It's a shame, he was another one of those kats who you think will always been around, always see on this album and that album but never in a million years think he would be gone so early in his life, very talented brother, loved music more than most kats I knew, but always was humble and smiling all the time, even in difficult situations.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Lobby The Lesson topic #2992874 Previous topic | Next topic