Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2990275

Subject: "GURU: Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal" Previous topic | Next topic
Tony Hanes
Member since May 27th 2013
429 posts
Sun May-14-17 03:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"GURU: Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal"

GURU: Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal

I remember watching Rap City one evening when a video came on called “Just To Get A Rep” by a group I’d never heard of before. There was an MC and a DJ which was still pretty popular in 1991. The song and the beat were both potent and I enjoyed it to say the least. The DJ went by Premier and later to most fans as simply Premo. As great as the production was and I’m a huge fan of samples, especially jazz samples, this wasn’t the highlight. The star of this video was the MC, who went by the name of GURU. Of course I didn’t know their names at the time because as the video was going off, Gang Starr flashed across the screen. Man, the video was in Black and White and it was gritty. I’m a sucker for good storytelling as well so this alone was refreshing. GURU had a voice that you couldn’t ignore. I had an instant love for their sound so I went to the Record Store later that week to find out more about this duo. Back in the early 90’s, going to the actual Record Store was a big deal. It was an experience that is non-existent today but trust me; actually walking around looking at album covers (Vinyl, Tapes and/or CD’s) throughout the store soaking in the vibe was magical to a hip hop kid.

After being directed to the section where Gang Starr’s music could be found, I noticed there were two albums from these guys. I was there to find the album that had “Just To Get A Rep” on it. The album with this song was called Step In The Arena. On a side note, I ended up listening to this album for probably a month straight in my Walkman. I still know every word to every song from Step In The Arena more than 25 years later. I promise you, this is no exaggeration. Ok, back to my Record Store experience. What I learned was two years prior, Gang Starr had released their 1989 debut No More Mr. Nice Guy. I had no choice but to purchase both. I thought the debut was dope and I still listen to Manifest to this day, even though Step In The Arena became my “go to” album along with A Tribe Called Quest’s The Low End Theory. Over the next decade I became a huge follower of the Gang Starr Foundation. I appreciate the great music found on Group Home’s Livin Proof and Jeru Da Damaja’s The Sun Rises In The East. With that said, it was GURU who kept my attention with his knowledge, lyrics, persona and overall respect for the craft of MCing and hip hop in general.

As I write this piece, Gang Starr’s Mass Appeal is blasting from my speakers. GURU never disappointed me with his approach to crafting songs. GURU was a true fan of music. You could tell that his influence contained a lot of history from musicians from various genres. You can see this vividly in his Jazzmatazz Projects. During Gang Starr’s run of tremendous albums, GURU released several Jazz influenced solo projects with various artist from Jazz, Hip Hop, Alternative and Soul. Youtube the track JUST ME featuring N'Dea Davenport as a reference. These ventures make GURU one of the most diverse and well rounded Rappers in the history of hip hop in my humble opinion. Gang Starr (Premo and GURU) loved Jazz and you could hear it in their sound even though to me, Premo is the King of Boom Bap. The only other group at that time who had similar samples to me was Q-Tip and A Tribe Called Quest. Eventually Souls Of Mischief, The Pharcyde, and Digable Planets followed similar footsteps.

GURU is also one of the most underrated MC’s of all time. His performance on Gang Starr’s Daily Operation, Hard To Earn and Moment of Truth were stellar. I always appreciated MC’s who took their time and put out quality. GURU is overlooked when greatest MC’s are discussed from a historical perspective. I have been guilty of this crime in the past as well. I’m actually ashamed by this error. I put together the 30 Greatest MC’s of All Time two months ago on this very website and omitted GURU. To be honest, it was an oversight but GURU has been overlooked for over 2 decades. My college roommate is a huge GURU fan and told me he should be mentioned with Rakim, KRS, KANE and the other great MC’s from the Golden Era. GURU put enough quality work in and earned his stripes. The institution of Gang Starr is monumental. The influence is not just the beats and production of Premo. GURU held his own over amazing production and as a duo, not many can compete. You could argue that from a body of work perspective, GURU and Premo are the greatest duo in Rap history. If not, they are in the same arena as EPMD and Mobb Deep.

GURU also reminded me of Chuck D as they always presented themselves as “Grown Men”. GURU never came off like a clown, corny, desperate, a fraud or anything that would disrespect our genre. GURU was as authentic of an MC as I've ever heard and nothing was forced or out of place. GURU dropped knowledge and was one of the fathers of the "Intelligent MC". As I write this paragraph, I’m listening to a track called What You Expected by DJ Honda featuring GURU. Man, this is how hip hop is supposed to sound! I can’t imagine hip hop without Gang Starr! I can’t imagine Hip Hop without GURU! GURU should be celebrated. GURU passed away on April 19, 2010 at the age of 48. True hip hop fans understood the huge loss that was suffered with his death, but not the casual fans. When you think about Rap Legends that have passed away, names such as Biggie, Tupac, Big L, Eazy E, Big Pun and Heavy D are generally mentioned but I miss GURU just the same. If you're a younger hip hop enthusiast I would recommend researching Gang Starr and GURU. If you truly love hip hop, you should have something from his legacy in your catalog. God bless and rest in peace to the Gifted, Unlimited, Rhymes and Universal one…….

One Love

http://www.enterdadome.com/single-post/2017/05/12/GURU-Gifted-Unlimited-Rhymes-Universal

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Great read!
May 14th 2017
RE: Great read!
May 18th 2017
Don't think I've ever seen someone say...
May 14th 2017
RE: Don't think I've ever seen someone say...
May 14th 2017
Yep
May 23rd 2017
      RE: Yep
May 23rd 2017
yeah the inverse to that is just revisionist
May 14th 2017
Agreed.
May 15th 2017
^^^^agreed
May 16th 2017
I Think His Boston Fan Would Say That But...
May 17th 2017
RE: Don't think I've ever seen someone say...
May 18th 2017
Were you listening to hip-hop when Manifest dropped?
May 19th 2017
Nope lol
May 20th 2017
yeah, back then we didn't give a shit about producers
May 22nd 2017
RE: Were you listening to hip-hop when Manifest dropped?
May 20th 2017
shiiiet it was all about GURU when Gangstar dropped
May 22nd 2017
I will say it
Jun 26th 2017
Guru was older than his contemporaries...
May 17th 2017
RE: Guru was older than his contemporaries...
May 18th 2017
Chuck D was 27 when Bumrush dropped
May 21st 2017
Thanks for a great read.
May 19th 2017
RE: Thanks for a great read.
May 23rd 2017
4 the "Daily Operation" heads
Jun 25th 2017

Af-1
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
3461 posts
Sun May-14-17 05:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Great read!"
In response to Reply # 0

-----
Check me out, say hi...
Visit our soul/jazz/funk internet radio station, Blue-in-Green:RADIO: http://www.blueingreenradio.com/
https://www.mixcloud.com/Blue_in_Green_Sessions/
http://soundcloud.com/user305437292

Tony Hanes
429 posts
Thu May-18-17 11:18 PM

9. "RE: Great read!"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks fam, I appreciate you taking the time to read it..

ChiefRocka
Member since Sep 08th 2009
406 posts
Sun May-14-17 09:37 AM

2. "Don't think I've ever seen someone say..."
In response to Reply # 0

that they fucked with Gang Starr because of Guru more than Premier.

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Sun May-14-17 09:50 AM

3. "RE: Don't think I've ever seen someone say..."
In response to Reply # 2

>that they fucked with Gang Starr because of Guru more than
>Premier.

Pretty much the case until hard to earn dropped. Shit, they used to call GURU Gangstarr.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Tue May-23-17 10:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "Yep"
In response to Reply # 3

>Pretty much the case until hard to earn dropped. Shit, they
>used to call GURU Gangstarr.

you could tell who listened to albums vs. people who didn't... LOL

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue May-23-17 08:27 PM

21. "RE: Yep"
In response to Reply # 19

>you could tell who listened to albums vs. people who didn't...
>LOL

"I got my man Gang Starr in the house" - Greg Nice

I still crack up when I hear that

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun May-14-17 09:57 AM

4. "yeah the inverse to that is just revisionist"
In response to Reply # 2

it's one of those things that people flock to, but nobody really thinks about and just accepts it as being true. When I first heard the idea that Premier was carrying Guru, it seemed pretty ridiculous and it still does because the heart of the GS magic is how well the music and the verses work together to create a bigger thing. Primo has worked with some great emcees of course, and Guru has done a lot of overlooked work with other producers (including himself as a producer), but nothing feels like the work they did together.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Mon May-15-17 10:25 AM

5. "Agreed."
In response to Reply # 4

>Primo has worked with some great emcees
>of course, and Guru has done a lot of overlooked work with
>other producers (including himself as a producer), but nothing
>feels like the work they did together.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10981 posts
Tue May-16-17 02:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "^^^^agreed"
In response to Reply # 4

The two of them had a formula that couldn't be duplicated.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Wed May-17-17 08:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "I Think His Boston Fan Would Say That But..."
In response to Reply # 2

...but other than Boston kats, I think everyone else was a fan of Premier more than Guru but loved them both as the duo Gang Starr, cause I still say having Guru featured on a song was never a bad thing, he always set the tone (mostly being mellow or smooth gangster or pimp vibe) his r&b features were dope, I liked his first three Jazzmatazz albums and I liked his two solo albums as Baldhead Slick cause of the features too.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Tony Hanes
429 posts
Thu May-18-17 11:20 PM

10. "RE: Don't think I've ever seen someone say..."
In response to Reply # 2

Early on in High School I was damn near all about the MC, even though I loved beats..

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Fri May-19-17 11:42 AM

13. "Were you listening to hip-hop when Manifest dropped?"
In response to Reply # 2

>that they fucked with Gang Starr because of Guru more than
>Premier.

Like another poster commented, first two albums people called GURU "Gangstarr". Primo was good, but he wasn't noteworthy by himself. It was the guy rapping. Guru's voice, his presence, his demeanor, the maturity and wisdom he projected. That's what drew me in.

ChiefRocka
Member since Sep 08th 2009
406 posts
Sat May-20-17 12:29 AM

14. "Nope lol"
In response to Reply # 13
Sat May-20-17 12:29 AM by ChiefRocka

I was 2 years old when No More Mr. Nice Guy dropped. I'll take you old heads' word for it though. Just never seen many people be like "yeah Premier is cool but I'm here for GURU..." and I'm basing this on like 18 years on hip-hop oriented message board discussion lol. I've seen a lot of people outright don't like GURU and think he was the weak link or boring, and then a lot of other people thought GURU was good enough, and a nice match for Premier's beats, but really nothing particularly special on his own (basically calling him a glorified CL Smooth).

My own personal opinion is that GURU would have been a notable MC with or without Premier, one way or another, but that Premier's talent as a producer was orders of magnitude greater than GURU's talent as an emcee. GURU may have been further along in his development by the time they released their first album (although Deep Concentration is my fav track on that album), but Premier probably caught him on the 2nd album and passed him on Daily Operation, or near enough.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79550 posts
Mon May-22-17 09:29 PM

18. "yeah, back then we didn't give a shit about producers"
In response to Reply # 14

it was mostly due to ignorance. We had no idea some of these DJ's were actually making these beats and putting in work.

Also remember back then you were seeing videos where the rapper was the focus.

DJ's and producers got limited shine back then.

No one used to say Dre was the shit in NWA. It was all Eazy E and Ice Cube

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Tony Hanes
429 posts
Sat May-20-17 04:34 PM

15. "RE: Were you listening to hip-hop when Manifest dropped?"
In response to Reply # 13

I agree 100%...............that was my point..

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79550 posts
Mon May-22-17 09:25 PM

17. "shiiiet it was all about GURU when Gangstar dropped"
In response to Reply # 2

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Lil Rabies
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1586 posts
Mon Jun-26-17 01:45 PM

23. "I will say it "
In response to Reply # 2

I wasn't checking for them before "Who's going to take the weight". I saw the video for positivity was bored, but as a big G Rap fan, the Gang aspect of the name intrigued me. When I heard "weight" on the radio, it sounded like nothing else. I knew how producers could affect sound, Marley Marl and Hurby were reliable hitmakers. If the other guy is bringing the sounds like this (the cutting at the end is VERY distinctive, especially at the time) I thought, this group has a chance.

Taking shots in the dark/that's a bad call
Going straight for your head/ gotta saw it off

BSharp
Charter member
9243 posts
Wed May-17-17 03:49 AM

7. "Guru was older than his contemporaries..."
In response to Reply # 0

...and for that reason, I think his lyrics have held up a little better over time to my aging brain. It's not as easy as I'd imagined to be pushing 40 and listening to teenagers.

Or maybe it's just the fact that I know every word of every song and it makes me so damn nostalgic to listen back...

Tony Hanes
429 posts
Thu May-18-17 11:22 PM

11. "RE: Guru was older than his contemporaries..."
In response to Reply # 7

Agreed. He had grown man rap so I feel you totally..

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun May-21-17 10:22 AM

16. "Chuck D was 27 when Bumrush dropped"
In response to Reply # 7

and both of them being older and having old souls to boot really gave their work a lot of weight that it may not have had otherwise.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

ProgressiveSound
Member since Mar 11th 2003
2053 posts
Fri May-19-17 11:37 AM

12. "Thanks for a great read. "
In response to Reply # 0

The brother was definitely special .. "in this business of rap"

RIP Big Guru

Tony Hanes
429 posts
Tue May-23-17 08:09 PM

20. "RE: Thanks for a great read. "
In response to Reply # 12

Thank you for reading it fam...

ProgressiveSound
Member since Mar 11th 2003
2053 posts
Sun Jun-25-17 06:28 AM

22. "4 the "Daily Operation" heads"
In response to Reply # 0

http://musicofsubstance.com/discography/gang-starr-daily-operation-25th-anniversary-mixtape/

Gang Starr ‘Daily Operation’ 25th Anniversary Mixtape: mixed by Chris Read

Homeboy doing his thing with these mixes kid. Enjoy!

Lobby The Lesson topic #2990275 Previous topic | Next topic