Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2989983

Subject: "Rank These Albums: Hit Squad Edition" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Mon May-08-17 09:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rank These Albums: Hit Squad Edition"

All of these albums will celebrate their 25th anniversary at some point this year. Which was your favorite and how would you rank them?

Das EFX - Dead Serious (04-07-1992)
K-Solo - Time's Up (06-02-1992)
EPMD - Business Never Personal (07-28-1992)
Redman - Whut? Thee Album (10-06-1992)

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Okay, sure
May 08th 2017
My order too
May 09th 2017
^^^ Yep. Word for word.
May 09th 2017
Here goes...
May 09th 2017
Underrated squad/clique IMO
May 09th 2017
Crap this is hard
May 09th 2017

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44732 posts
Mon May-08-17 09:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Okay, sure"
In response to Reply # 0

1. Dead Serious
2. Whut? Thee Album
3. Business Never Personal
4. Time's Up

#1 and #2 are VERY close.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue May-09-17 07:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "My order too"
In response to Reply # 1

>1. Dead Serious
>2. Whut? Thee Album
>3. Business Never Personal
>4. Time's Up
>
>#1 and #2 are VERY close.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22293 posts
Tue May-09-17 09:12 AM

4. "^^^ Yep. Word for word."
In response to Reply # 1

>1. Dead Serious
>2. Whut? Thee Album
>3. Business Never Personal
>4. Time's Up
>
>#1 and #2 are VERY close.

Mack
Charter member
7372 posts
Tue May-09-17 06:53 AM

2. "Here goes..."
In response to Reply # 0

Redman - Whut? Thee Album
Das EFX - Dead Serious
EPMD - Business Never Personal
K-Solo - Time's Up

"Dressed up like an evil villain dressed up like a soccer dad"

Creole
Charter member
15427 posts
Tue May-09-17 09:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Underrated squad/clique IMO"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-09-17 09:25 AM by Creole

1. Redman - Whut? Thee Album (10-06-1992)
Redman kicked off a phenomenal three album run with a banging debut that still gets heavy burn in the ride.

2. K-Solo - Time's Up (06-02-1992)
I seriously believe that K-Solo was the 2nd best in the whole squad behind Redman. Edit: Until Keith Murray popped up on the scene. LOL. Then K-Solo went to third.

3. EPMD - Business Never Personal (07-28-1992)
Dope album and I played it a ton. However, I played 1 & 2 non-stop when they dropped.

4. Das EFX - Dead Serious (04-07-1992)
I dug the singles but never listed to the albums as they were too gimmicky for me at that time.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10987 posts
Tue May-09-17 02:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Crap this is hard"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-09-17 02:12 PM by spenzalii

1. Business Never Personal. Probably my favorite EPMD album top to bottom. Hardly a misstep on this one to me, and songs like Chill and It's Going Down are among their best. Tack Brother From Brentwood LI on there and I'd have a clear winner

2. Whut? Thee Album. This surprised the hell out of me, as I was a fan of the other Hit Squad acts moreso than Red when he came out. Even taking longevity out of the equation (which he beats Das and Solo in spades) E Double and Reggie produced a monster. Muddy Waters may be his best (though Dare Iz A Darkside has plenty of supporters) but Whut is how a debut should be done.

3. Dead Serious. The ONLY reason I have this album at 3 is because of Dum Dums and Loosies. Take those 2 songs off and you have a 5 star classic. That's before you get to all the remixes (and damn near every song was remixed too. Pete's remix of Jussamen is my second favorite remix of his of all time, just behind Shut 'Em Down). Drop those 2 songs, add the remix/video version of They Want Exf, and add,say, Hard Like A Criminal, and Redman and Das switch places for me.

4. Time's Up. Truth is, K-Solo was/is my favorite Hit Squad member (hell, I had the same turtleneck/sweater combo he has on his first album, though it was a titla coincidence). The problem with this album was he remade Tell The World My Name, damn near track for track. Spelling joint (this time original and remix by Pete Rock)? Check. Jail joint? Check. Story joint to close out the A Side? Check. Girl done me dirty over a pop-ish sample to start the B Side? Check. None of the songs were bad. But none were much better (or much different) than the first album, right down to the sequencing. I played the shit out of both albums. But put against the rest of the Hit Squad output at the time, he has to come last. Hurts for me to even type that

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Lobby The Lesson topic #2989983 Previous topic | Next topic