Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2989461

Subject: "Good Artist that critics don't really fuzz with. " Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49424 posts
Fri Apr-28-17 12:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Good Artist that critics don't really fuzz with. "

I think this is slightly different from the slept on artist post because I want to talk about the specific phenomenon of comparing an artist who all the critics adore and can't stop writing about (like say Frank Ocean) and artist who seem similarly talented but for some reason the critics don't get fired up about (like say Anderson Paak). And sure you can say Anderson Paak does get some critical love but when you compare it to how folks were falling over themselves to talk about Frank Ocean it didn't seem like they were nearly doing so much for Anderson Paak.

Or consider an artist like Oddisee who I swear I only heard about because you OKP cats consistently put The Good Fight on your top ten album list but I heard nothing in the critics and publicity stuff I read.

Yeah Kendrick arguably has "better" albums but are his albums 10x better than Oddisee because Oddisee doesn't get 1/10th the press Kendrick does.

I am just thinking it isn't 100% tied to talent and greatness of work and there seem to be other factors involved when it comes to critical love.

One pattern I seem to see that an element of critical love has to be how much your music crossover to white audiences. That is, the blacker your audience the less critical love you seem to get. See Dave Chappelle versus Patrice O'Neal.

Anyway, can you name some artist who don't seem to get critical love for some reason that you don't understand?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Well the Kendrick / Oddisee thing can be explained pretty easily.
Apr 28th 2017
Re: Frank Ocean
Apr 28th 2017
first of all, critics generally don't know shit.
Apr 28th 2017

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Fri Apr-28-17 12:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Well the Kendrick / Oddisee thing can be explained pretty easily."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-28-17 12:49 PM by Brew

>Or consider an artist like Oddisee who I swear I only heard
>about because you OKP cats consistently put The Good Fight on
>your top ten album list but I heard nothing in the critics and
>publicity stuff I read.
>
>Yeah Kendrick arguably has "better" albums but are his albums
>10x better than Oddisee because Oddisee doesn't get 1/10th the
>press Kendrick does.
>
>
>I am just thinking it isn't 100% tied to talent and greatness
>of work and there seem to be other factors involved when it
>comes to critical love.

Kendrick - Aftermath/Interscope/Dre co-sign/promotional dollars.

Oddisee - none of the above things.

I'm not sure the label relationships of Ocean and .paak so I can't really speak to that one.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Fri Apr-28-17 01:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Re: Frank Ocean"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri Apr-28-17 01:15 PM by Kosa12

Frank Ocean came into the public eye via Odd Future which was very popular for a while with young people, dropped a mixtape which was well received (which I didn't like but, not the point of this post lol) then dropped a good album that had very catchy singles in "Thinkin Bout You" and "Pyramid"

Frank Ocean is also one of the few mainstream artists that is openly bi, an aspect that was touched upon in his latest album Blonde, which received lots of coverage due to that and the fact that it was a four year wait. People, specifically young people, loved Frank Ocean's debut album so much that waiting for his music was basically a meme - music publications at the end of the day as businesses and will give more coverage to the things that will give them more clicks. Although Anderson .Paak has a Dre co-sign and is in fact signed by Dre right now, .Paak didn't exactly have the backing of a large, young, hungry fanbase before then and is not expressing LGBTQ view points/perspectives in his work, which definitely factored in heavy into the reception of Blonde. That said, .Paak has had a meteoric rise and both Blonde and Malibu are good albums imo.

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Fri Apr-28-17 01:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "first of all, critics generally don't know shit."
In response to Reply # 0

and "reviews" these days are just masturbatory word salad.

I really don't bother.

Back again for the first time.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2989461 Previous topic | Next topic