Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2986522

Subject: "Bone thugs and Harmony are one of the 10 Greatest Rap GROUPS PERIOD" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Mar-25-17 11:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bone thugs and Harmony are one of the 10 Greatest Rap GROUPS PERIOD"

they still got game and slept on big time, can't lump them with nobody else.

trips me out how some cats who played them off back in the day are all up on them, i told some cats that these cats could spit and sing bars
and eat Bars.

I know that had Eazy E lived they would have been even bigger.

they should be Hall of Fame bound easily

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Saw them live last year they were fantastic.
Mar 26th 2017
they have a good album after E.1999 Eternal?
Mar 26th 2017
Art of War double album
Mar 28th 2017
      It's a good album
Mar 28th 2017
Top 5 even!!!
Mar 27th 2017
^^^Wish Bone
Mar 27th 2017
      Your wack ass would like Bone.
Mar 28th 2017
Bizzy in the studio
Mar 27th 2017
let me see your list of the 10 Greatest Rap GROUPS PERIOD
Mar 28th 2017
THIS should be good.
Mar 29th 2017
LOL
Mar 28th 2017
SORRY. I can't see it...
Mar 28th 2017
Bone is my favorite rap group of all time.
Mar 29th 2017
Nobody Can Stop Me is my jam
Mar 29th 2017
      Yep. That, Freeway and Waitin For Warfare. Have you heard Flesh's first ...
Mar 29th 2017
           I used to love that Playa Hater song from the Flesh album
Mar 29th 2017
                YO! I had a dream where that song played months before it came out
Mar 29th 2017

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Sun Mar-26-17 06:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Saw them live last year they were fantastic."
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Sun Mar-26-17 09:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "they have a good album after E.1999 Eternal?"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know honestly.
Think the last thing I checked was Krayzie's solo album
which was a double LP.

wasn't all that.

Bizzy was always my fav. Know he went off the deep end
at one point.

Does he have a solo? I'd still be interested in hearing that.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 01:23 PM

7. "Art of War double album"
In response to Reply # 2

was pretty decent. A friend of mine was a big Bone fan and listened to that some. It probably would have been better as a single disk and think them branching off with the solos and other family kinda hurt the group.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 03:45 PM

8. "It's a good album"
In response to Reply # 7

After that the albums aren't that great. BTNHResurrection had some jams on it though.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Dupree90
Member since Jul 10th 2005
639 posts
Mon Mar-27-17 05:03 PM

3. "Top 5 even!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

They've some of the best music in Hip-hop. And when they sampled, it sounded like they did it with great admiration. Then to hear them speak about the records they listen to in interviews was always a great confirmation.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Mon Mar-27-17 08:20 PM

5. "^^^Wish Bone"
In response to Reply # 3

81 DUN
Member since Feb 10th 2009
1674 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 11:57 PM

11. "Your wack ass would like Bone."
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Mar-29-17 12:01 AM by 81 DUN

Wouldn't you

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Mon Mar-27-17 07:36 PM

4. "Bizzy in the studio"
In response to Reply # 0

If you've never seen this before, it's pretty cool. Also, Billi Jean makes a cameo.

https://youtu.be/747PQ9G4LX0

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 11:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "let me see your list of the 10 Greatest Rap GROUPS PERIOD"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Wed Mar-29-17 09:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "THIS should be good."
In response to Reply # 6

*waiting*

Back again for the first time.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 03:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 0

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 05:16 PM

10. "SORRY. I can't see it..."
In response to Reply # 0

someone answered me with Art of War being the next good album after E.1999.

Forgot that album existed. I remember that double album.
Had that gun shot song with Pac I think.

WU
Tribe
Kast
De La
UGK
Gangstarr
Mobb
PE
NWA
The Roots
EPMD
Beastie Boys
Pete Rock and CL Smooth

that's just off top of my head that I would say is DEF BETTER.

If we calling dj and rapper duos groups than
Eric B and Rakim
BDP
Some would put Gangstarr in this category... I don't.

these are better than Bone.

Probably belong in next tier:
Organized Konfusion
Slum
Lox
3-6
CNN
Showbiz and AG
Geto Boys
Heltah Skeltah
Little Brother

Maybe an argument can be made that Bone belongs above some in this tier... but certainly not above ALL of these groups.

Bone nowhere near top 5.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Wed Mar-29-17 09:55 AM

13. "Bone is my favorite rap group of all time. "
In response to Reply # 0

They were my go-to through some very difficult teenage years. To this day I have a deep personal attachment to their work. I’ve seen them live three times and they’ve been fantastic every time out. I’d at least consider them as my “desert island” catalog.
Now, far be it from me to order someone’s “top” list of anything.

Your criteria is your criteria. When it comes to subjects like this I have three very distinct categories. It’s still completely subjective of course.

1. Best
2. Greatest
3. Favorite

There are intersecting criteria through all three, however I weight each differently. “Best” in a given category leans heavily on raw skill and leans much less on influence, impact, or time. “Greatest” is weighted more heavily on influence and overall impact both in and out of their era. “Favorite” is purely personal.

I can’t see Bone getting in the “Best” category if we only have ten slots.

I can see an argument for putting them in the top ten considering how many current MC’s cite them as a heavy influence, not to mention being a major influence on Mariah and, to an extent, Kellz. In fact they’ve had a significant influence on modern R&B in general.
Obviously whether or not you view this as a good thing is subjective, I’m just stating that the impact and influence is there.

Their impact at their peak was massive. The biggest names of their day respected them immensely and they worked with some of the biggest artists of the time. Pac, Big, Mariah and Eazy. Hell Big Pun has an appearance on Flesh’s first album, which, I might add, is fucking great. It’s easily the best solo of the crew and not on some consolation prize shit.

They’re a landmark group.

One major problem is that their output after AOW gets very spotty. AOW is also one of those albums that their diehard fans- myself included- absolutely love. LOVE. AOW is highly regarded among most Bone fans. After us though?

Eh. Not that well received. And when we’re talking all-time top ten, a distinction like that matters. After that they have a very mediocre track record.

-Bizzy dropped a solo that was 75% filler BUT had like three absolute heat rocks in there.

-Krayzie’s first solo was a bloated mess that I mostly enjoy as a diehard but again… this is an album for fans like me. Personally a good third was a full blown disappointment and I have no idea how those tracks saw the light of day. THUGS, Paper, shit like that? I fucking love. LOVE.

-Resurrection was another mess, though Righteous Ones is fucking great.

-Thug World Order? Pass on everything but Home, which was great.

-Strength & Loyalty is a genuinely dope album. It’s a different sound but absolutely worked for them. Has some throwaway cuts but I really like this joint.

-Uni5 has some very strong moments. Layzie is a first round knockout artist. I really like the joints where he has the opening verse on this. About three joints might appeal to casual fans.

They peaked with their second album but there’s just so much filler after that. There’s an awful lot of Indoor Swapmeet Compilation quality music in there. No group with that much filler qualifies as one of the ten “Best” groups of all time. They had a ridiculously bright moment in the sun but it came and went too quickly.

They didn’t sustain that level of quality or relevance long enough to get a spot. After E 1999 they became a cult group. I have tremendous reverence for them as well as a personal attachment to their catalog but they just don’t have enough top shelf material. They are what they are and I’m cool with that.

I haven’t thought it through but I can see the framework of an argument for ten “greatest” based on my criteria, but that’s a VERY tough category and there’s a good chance they don’t make the cut. I’m simply saying they have a few things in their favor in terms of short and long term influence and impact to make them worth evaluating in that respect.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Wed Mar-29-17 12:24 PM

14. "Nobody Can Stop Me is my jam"
In response to Reply # 13
Wed Mar-29-17 12:25 PM by makaveli

is that one of the three?

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Wed Mar-29-17 01:22 PM

15. "Yep. That, Freeway and Waitin For Warfare. Have you heard Flesh's first ..."
In response to Reply # 14

Heavenz Movie also has a a dope ass interlude. Can't think of the name but it's way too short and fucking GOES.

That Flesh solo is the dann truth though. Goddamn. He goes into horrocore territory. Not, like, Esham or anything, but he hits that whole Mr Ouija/Mo Murda vibe out of the park and there are about 5 of those smoothed out Bone tracks for good measure.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Wed Mar-29-17 01:44 PM

16. "I used to love that Playa Hater song from the Flesh album"
In response to Reply # 15

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Wed Mar-29-17 01:53 PM

17. "YO! I had a dream where that song played months before it came out"
In response to Reply # 16
Wed Mar-29-17 01:54 PM by Cold Truth

I mean I guess it's ultimately a non-story but I heard this and Krayzie's "Hard Times" in dreams long before they came out. The deja vu I had when I first heard them on tape was wild.

Anyhow Layzie and Krayzie's flow on their verses were absolute blackouts on PH. I loved playing that joint for people over the years because so many people had never heard it.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2986522 Previous topic | Next topic