Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2978595

Subject: " 45rpm's How many here collect them?" Previous topic | Next topic
Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 12:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
" 45rpm's How many here collect them?"

I'm noticing it's getting bigger everyday. Lots of 45's only events popping up every day. I don't collect them. I probably have less than 20. So who here buys/collects/plays them? Is that your preferred format?

Back again for the first time.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I avoid 45s, generally
Nov 22nd 2016
they're ALWAYS beat to shit at the used spots.
Nov 22nd 2016
It's a neverending world
Nov 22nd 2016
WAAY too many rarities in that format.
Nov 23rd 2016
I DJ a all 45's event every month.
Nov 23rd 2016
what Genre?
Nov 23rd 2016
I do!
Nov 23rd 2016
instant collectibles, right?
Nov 23rd 2016
      RE: instant collectibles, right?
Nov 24th 2016
I Have A Ton But I Don't Collect Them
Nov 24th 2016

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13572 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 03:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I avoid 45s, generally"
In response to Reply # 0

The ones I see usually never have covers, and are in poorer shape than LPs. I have about 30 or so. Also, I hate looking through a stack of 45s... takes way longer than flipping through LPs.

Shogun
3042 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 04:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "they're ALWAYS beat to shit at the used spots."
In response to Reply # 1

good point.

and they're fragile as hell too.

PCProductions
Member since Oct 31st 2009
1217 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 04:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "It's a neverending world"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought LPs were vast but man 45s are like a new dimension of sheer quantity of music. All it took for an artist was to print one song to have a 45, at least LPs required you to have a meaningful amount of music. There are so many artists with but a single 45 that it feels impossible to me to have that game figured out. 45s do feature the best breaks it seems, though.

Shogun
3042 posts
Wed Nov-23-16 07:50 AM

4. "WAAY too many rarities in that format."
In response to Reply # 3

all those little obscure labels and artists. Since it was mostly a format for boutique labels and such, there's a great chance of finding something that you've never heard before. But those are gonna hit you in the pocket.

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Wed Nov-23-16 08:15 AM

5. "I DJ a all 45's event every month."
In response to Reply # 0

45's are fun!

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

Shogun
3042 posts
Wed Nov-23-16 09:12 AM

7. "what Genre?"
In response to Reply # 5

most of the all-45 events I've attended have been either Soul or Breaks. What are you playing?

quikfit
Charter member
1897 posts
Wed Nov-23-16 08:46 AM

6. "I do!"
In response to Reply # 0

When I first started collecting LPs years and years ago, wasn't too into 7". But as time goes on, you find one, then another, etc. etc.
Stones Throw used to do the Fan Club 45s which were cool.
Daptone still pumps out 45s on the regular. I actually own them all except 2 - so that's almost 100 from one label alone!
I have a good mix of all genres on 45.
As mentioned, a way to find some really unique tracks.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Soul music is bad, bad, bad!

Shogun
3042 posts
Wed Nov-23-16 09:13 AM

8. "instant collectibles, right?"
In response to Reply # 6

>Stones Throw used to do the Fan Club 45s which were cool.
>Daptone still pumps out 45s on the regular. I actually own
>them all except 2 - so that's almost 100 from one label alone!
>

quikfit
Charter member
1897 posts
Thu Nov-24-16 09:20 AM

9. "RE: instant collectibles, right?"
In response to Reply # 8

Well, the Stones Throw ones I guess as they weren't really available outside of purchase of the LP.
But, for instance, the Daptone ones are just put out as regular singles, but on 45. A few promos or exclusives, but otherwise just readily available.
I don't view them as "collectables" per say, I just dig the music. I do collect the Daptone ones, but I'm just a huge fan of the label.
Depends where you go for them, lots of times I can find decent stuff, and cheap. My local used spot sort of does a "the more you buy, the lower the price goes" kind of deal. I can leave with a stack of 10 at a $1 each.
Some older LPs just skated by on the straight of "that" single or two, so sometimes you can just scoop that tune and not have the full LP.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Soul music is bad, bad, bad!

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Thu Nov-24-16 10:02 AM

10. "I Have A Ton But I Don't Collect Them"
In response to Reply # 0

I've had at least 200 45's given to me when I was four years old from my aunt, and back in the day I was buying a few but mostly the children's read-a-long books (but those are 33rpm or as they call them now 7inchs) but I probably bought maybe three to five 45's a year cause I saw a few I just got for the heck of it not cause I was diggin' for them on purpose.

I do have some 7inchs (that play at 33rpm) that was released over the past decade, stuff like Madlib, rock promos, one or two 80's reggae joints but nothing major.

Personally I've never kept the ones I got from my aunt in good shape or put them in their own sleeves, they're all in cardboard boxes just getting even more scratched up.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Lobby The Lesson topic #2978595 Previous topic | Next topic