Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2975118

Subject: "Josef Leimberg - Astral Progressions ft. Bilal, Kendrick, Kurupt, Terrac..." Previous topic | Next topic
Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14026 posts
Sun Oct-09-16 01:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Josef Leimberg - Astral Progressions ft. Bilal, Kendrick, Kurupt, Terrac..."

Kamasi, Georgia Anne Muldrow

The track with Bilal is B-A-N-A-ANNAS (c) Stefani
(Between Us 2)

https://worldgalaxyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/astral-progressions

Trumpeter and Composer Josef Leimberg with the
debut of the year.
Leimberg gained a unique level of traction with his work on the multiple Grammy Award winning Kendrick Lamar LP To Pimp A Butterfly. Credited under the LoveDragon moniker with Terrace Martin, his time with To Pimp A Butterfly only represents a small fragment of his accomplishments. His collaborative resume over the decades is astounding, consisting of production, writing and feature credits with Snoop Dogg, Erykah Badu, Robin Thicke, Shafiq Husayn, Funkadelic, Freestyle Fellowship, Dr. Dre, Murs, King Tee, Suga Free, Saafir and Busdriver. These connections have undoubtedly spread life all over Astral Progressions.

Leimberg’s debut album features an array of innovators and game changers in modern progressive music. Kamasi Washington, Bilal, Georgia Anne Muldrow, Kurupt, Terrace Martin and Miguel Atwood Ferguson are just a small list of the brilliant minds that make the Astral Progressions outing special. Many of the featured artists became with the LP through world renowned creator Shafiq Husayn. Leimberg would connect with various musicians associated to his camp through studio recordings, gigging and rehearsals, building on his compositions in a very organic and social way.

Kurupt connects with Astral Progression’s cosmic message unlike anything else he’s done before, lending his verbal talents over a cosmic west coast flavor. Goergia Anne Muldrow and Bilal add considerable weight as well, taking direction into spiritually tinged fusions of R&B and soul. The ending track pays special homage to Leimberg’s mother, including a recording of her speaking about the complexities of life and where we all fit into the bigger picture of this universe. To describe this record in full would take volumes of thought, bridged under the vision of Leimberg in every note and measure.

Leimberg takes the sonic power of Astral Progressions back to the origins of the ‘70s jazz fusion movement. Included is a superb Miles Davis cover of ‘Lonely Fire.’ Originally recorded and featured on the 1970s Miles Davis studio album Big Fun, Leimberg revamps the spiritually tinged piece with uptempo pocket driven drum work, flaring solo’s and a sense of heightened energy that transforms the chord arrangements of the original into something entirely new. Paul Livingston adds lush sitar, tambura and sarod, bringing the Indian influences shed on the original composition into the 21st century state of Leimberg’s vision. It’s a perfect summation of how organic, fluid and exotic the record is as a whole.

The artwork and design packaging pulls back to the narrative of prolific album cover work that enhanced many of the world’s most celebrated jazz fusion albums. Artwork created by Tokio Aoyama, the vibrant color schemes intertwine into deeply interwoven symbols, coalescing to form a powerful story before a single note is even heard.

Taking the influence his father, mother and communities of musicians around him, Astral Progressions is a record that summarizes the long lasting power of love through sound. Josef Leimberg is a part of the movement that’s creating new standards in the exploration of jazz and fusion. He is defining himself as a worthy composer and purveyor of the deep musical arts and Astral Progressions is just the beginning.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
That's Jimetta Rose singing on "Echoes of One" btw
Oct 09th 2016
Interview about the album...
Oct 09th 2016
this will get checked out
Oct 09th 2016
The LooP would make a nice companion to this. n/m
Oct 10th 2016
is this a bandcamp only release?
Oct 10th 2016
I was hoping for a CD but it seems like digital-only which is a shame.
Oct 11th 2016
      CDs available next week apparently.
Oct 15th 2016
           Hell yeah!
Oct 15th 2016
           Good looking, great to know nm
Oct 15th 2016
ok
Oct 10th 2016
that kamasi joint tho
Oct 11th 2016
This. Album. Is. NUTS! nm
Oct 11th 2016
Kamasi joint is dope...anyone got a list of who's on which track(s)?
Oct 11th 2016
so dope!
Oct 11th 2016
so goooood!
Oct 13th 2016
Shouts to atruhead for putting me on via twitter. It's been on repeat...
Oct 14th 2016
TPAB really spawned some gems
Oct 21st 2016

Boogie Stimuli
14026 posts
Sun Oct-09-16 02:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "That's Jimetta Rose singing on "Echoes of One" btw"
In response to Reply # 0

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14026 posts
Sun Oct-09-16 02:31 PM

2. "Interview about the album..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Oct-09-16 02:31 PM by Boogie Stimuli

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2016/10/03/josef-leimberg-album-premiere/

Album Premiere: Josef Leimberg Shares Long-Awaited Spiritual Debut

Over the past 20 years, trumpeter Josef Leimberg has carved out a nice career playing in the background on some of our most widely celebrated albums: Erykah Badu’s New Amerykah Part One (4th World War) and Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp A Butterfly, among many others. In a way, Leimberg has established the perfect niche for himself: He’s been able to rub elbows with music’s elite, while maintaining a relatively low-key day-to-day existence. On Astral Progressions, Leimberg’s long-awaited debut album, the composer steps to the forefront with a spiritual jazz release, featuring a who’s who of hip-hop and soul. Among other features, saxophonist Kamasi Washington appears on “Interstellar Universe,” and soul singer Bilal offers a standout performance on “Between Us 2.”

Though Astral Progressions is out this Friday, we’re premiering it here now. We spoke with Leimberg about the record, his mother’s creative influence, and why even though Progressions took a few years to finish, it’s arriving right on time.

Your name has been in a ton of liner notes. How have you been able to work with all those artists?

It’s through mutual producers, collaborators and friends. It really just depends on the situation; it could be a rehearsal, a jam session, a recording session here and there, bringing some beats to the table wherever it may be, or playing a little horn when possible. We all have mutual friends out here in L.A.

At what point did you decide you wanted to make your own album?

I think I seriously started working on it like around 2011. I had a lot of friends who were very supportive of what I was doing, but always encouraged me to put my own project together. My mother was definitely somebody who wanted me to do a blues album. When she said a blues record, I know what she meant: “Do your thing.” She knew I loved all kinds of music. She passed in 2012, but she knew I loved everything in between—from jazz, to hip-hop, to progressive rock, to classical and traditional, indigenous music from different lands. That’s all I took it as, “Just do your thing and mix it up.” That was one of the main things that struck me. When your mama tell you to do something, you take it very seriously. Also, dudes like Shafiq Husayn, Battlecat and Taz Arnold, these were people who always encouraged me to do my own project. Of course I always wanted to do it myself, but it’s always encouraging to have loved ones inspire you to do your own project.

Do you believe you fulfilled your mother’s promise with this album?

Ya know, I tried to be as true and as honest as I could with the music. I put a lot of years and love and time into it, so I would say I pulled off what she requested. You always feel like you coulda went deeper, or you coulda played more notes or had more features. Maybe the drums coulda hit a little harder, but after a long process, you start to discover what works naturally and what hasn’t. The album came together very organically, and I feel good about it.

Listening to Astral Progressions, it has a deeply spiritual vibe to it. The album feels otherworldly in a sense. Is that what you were going for?

That’s exactly what I was going for. I wanted to keep the spiritual elements in there, because I feel music is very spiritual, so I wanted to take you on a journey, man. I want you to lose yourself within the music. That’s why I added so many layers, textures and instrumentation, just trying to give it that dimension, where you can get lost in it.

Once you knew what vision you wanted for this album, did it take a while to pull together?

It did! A friend of mine posted something that said “Josef Leimberg working on his new project.” That was 2011. When I saw the post, I was like, “It’s officially documented.” Then I realized I just finished it this year, so it’s been a solid five years. The album took on a whole new dimension with these strings, and that’s what really opened me up to even more textures. I’d put flutes on everything if I could. I’d put strings on everything if I could. It was definitely a process. I ended up calling a lot of people back like, “You sounded so good on this, can I get you back for this, this and this?” A lot of people were receptive to what I was doing, and didn’t hesitate to participate. I got this one brother doing a lot of tunes, just doing a lot of ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs.’ And Jimetta Rose, ya know, I’d give her a ring and she’d say, “What you need, some ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs,’ baby, I’m there.” Everybody was just totally cool. That was just a blessing, to have people receptive to what I was doing, and get in there with me. It felt really special.

That probably came from those relationships you built over the years. The fact that you just call these people and they come in.

Ah man, it was beautiful. To have Kamasi Washington come in and lace me with such a beautiful solo? Oh my God, I was ecstatic. Like wow.

How did your work as a session musician help you discover your own creative voice for your album?

When Georgia jumped on the album, that was one of the first songs that spawned the focus of it. Once I had Georgia on there, I felt the sky was the limit. Because she’s one of my all-time favorites, so when she came into town, I was lucky to have her come by the studio before she went back to Vegas. She was like, “Do you mind if I take a Nina Simone approach?” and I was like, “Go for it. Please do.” I started that particular song with just the beat and the trumpet, but when she jumped on it, that’s what set it off. If you have one song with all these textures and elements, then all of ‘em gotta have it! I tried to make sure all the songs had the same amount of love, so they were cohesive, and some types of bells and whistles in them.

Whether it’s your record, or Kamasi’s, Jimetta’s or MNDSGN’s, there’s something magical happening in L.A.

I’ll tell you like this, man: I’m truly in awe being born and raised out here. I’m inspired by Thundercat, Kamasi, Terrace Martin, Jimetta Rose and Shafiq Husayn. You got Taz Arnold and the Freestyle Fellowship. All that stuff, man. That inspires me to do what I do, whether I’m just playing the horn, or programming beats, or helping somebody with a project, or adding some textures here and there. I’m not only a fan of it, I just feel blessed to be a part of it. The way Terrace brought me into the Kendrick project; he didn’t have to do that, but we’ve been playing together in bands with Snoop. He’s pulled me into sessions with various people, and gigs with Faith Evans. It’s just beautiful to see everyone sharing their talents with each other to help the movement grow. So I just feel honored that I’m able to share some music in this renaissance.

—Marcus J. Moore

~
~
~
~
~

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Sun Oct-09-16 02:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "this will get checked out"
In response to Reply # 0

sounds promising based on the guest list and his track record.

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Mon Oct-10-16 10:26 PM

4. "The LooP would make a nice companion to this. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Mon Oct-10-16 10:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "is this a bandcamp only release?"
In response to Reply # 0

i'd love to buy this on vinyl.

Af-1
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
3461 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 06:23 AM

7. "I was hoping for a CD but it seems like digital-only which is a shame."
In response to Reply # 5

-----
Check me out, say hi...
Visit our soul/jazz/funk internet radio station, Blue-in-Green:RADIO: http://www.blueingreenradio.com/
https://www.mixcloud.com/Blue_in_Green_Sessions/
http://soundcloud.com/user305437292

Af-1
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
3461 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 04:26 AM

14. "CDs available next week apparently. "
In response to Reply # 7

Really glad I held off on buying.

-----
Check me out, say hi...
Visit our soul/jazz/funk internet radio station, Blue-in-Green:RADIO: http://www.blueingreenradio.com/
https://www.mixcloud.com/Blue_in_Green_Sessions/
http://soundcloud.com/user305437292

Boogie Stimuli
14026 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 04:45 AM

15. "Hell yeah!"
In response to Reply # 14
Sat Oct-15-16 04:46 AM by Boogie Stimuli

>Really glad I held off on buying.

Shit I'm glad I bought the digital just
because I'm happy to buy it twice lol.
Really wanna see this do well.

~
~
~
~
~

C. Thelonius
Member since Mar 14th 2008
825 posts
Sat Oct-15-16 04:30 PM

16. "Good looking, great to know nm"
In response to Reply # 14

#NP: Janelle Monae-DC, Pusha T-Daytona, Royce-Book of Ryan, Blue Note All-Stars-OPOV, Chris Dave/Drumhedz-Glow, Conway-GOAT, Black Milk-Fever, KRIT-4eva Is a Mighty.., Phonte-NNIGN, August Greene, Jericho Jackson
@LargesseMorlu

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Mon Oct-10-16 11:54 PM

6. "ok"
In response to Reply # 0

rmcphedr
Member since Feb 11th 2006
501 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 06:44 AM

8. "that kamasi joint tho"
In response to Reply # 0

wow, some reallllll progressive shit there. sounds like a jazzier version of caldera from the '70s with all those strings (i'm guessing that's miguel atwood-ferguson throughout)

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 08:04 AM

9. "This. Album. Is. NUTS! nm"
In response to Reply # 0

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

theeraser
Member since Feb 11th 2007
7218 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 10:20 AM

10. "Kamasi joint is dope...anyone got a list of who's on which track(s)?"
In response to Reply # 0

liveguy
Member since Jan 01st 2004
8002 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 02:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "so dope! "
In response to Reply # 0

True musicality is back in vogue?

"Spirits of the Ancestors" is some new age Bitches Brew or better yet, Sun Ra...

Love it, mayne!

We see through all that boo boo like it's ghost shit... (c) Quelle Chris

| http://liveguy.bandcamp.com |
| www.soundcloud.com/liveguy |
| www.twitter.com/liveguy |
| www.instagram.com/theREALliveguy |
| XBOX ONE GT: theREALliveguy |

maro
Charter member

12. "so goooood!"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for posting this, been rocking this jawn all week!
werd.

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Fri Oct-14-16 12:13 PM

13. "Shouts to atruhead for putting me on via twitter. It's been on repeat..."
In response to Reply # 0

......ever since.

Definitely one of my favs for 2016

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Fri Oct-21-16 10:33 AM

17. "TPAB really spawned some gems"
In response to Reply # 0

this, the epic, thundercat's EP, terrace martin velvet portraits

beautiful music

Lobby The Lesson topic #2975118 Previous topic | Next topic