Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2973372

Subject: "Does Europe appreciate "classic" American hip-hop more than America?" Previous topic | Next topic
jcpoppe
Member since Sep 28th 2010
48 posts
Sun Sep-18-16 03:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Does Europe appreciate "classic" American hip-hop more than America?"

It seems like it.

The amount of "classic"/"old school"/"golden era"/etc. artists that tour (and tour well) in Europe and can't seem to put a string of 20-30 shows together in America is crazy to me.

Add Japan and Australia/New Zealand too.

Thoughts?

-------------------------------------

My idea of fun at 34 is significantly different from my idea of fun at 24.

"Riggs, I'm getting too old for this shit." - Sgt. Murtaugh

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's true that they get love overseas
Sep 19th 2016
RE: It's true that they get love overseas
Sep 19th 2016
Onyx is the most popular rap group in Russia
Sep 20th 2016
RE: Onyx is the most popular rap group in Russia
Sep 20th 2016
They appreciated early blues and rock pioneers more, so I mean...
Sep 20th 2016
jazz too
Sep 21st 2016
RE: They appreciated early blues and rock pioneers more, so I mean...
Sep 21st 2016
rap is an american invention
Sep 20th 2016
...I have people in Europe that say yes....
Sep 20th 2016
RE: ...I have people in Europe that say yes....
Sep 21st 2016
Sep 21st 2016
Sep 22nd 2016
From personal experience
Sep 22nd 2016
RE: From personal experience
Sep 22nd 2016
That's been the case for a good 15-20 years now.
Sep 22nd 2016
RE: That's been the case for a good 15-20 years now.
Sep 22nd 2016
Yes, I discovered how much they do after creating my blog
Sep 22nd 2016
RE: Yes, I discovered how much they do after creating my blog
Sep 22nd 2016
I can only speak from a Danish perspective
Sep 22nd 2016
And on that note
Sep 22nd 2016
Its been that way with EVERY form of Black American Music.
Sep 22nd 2016
RE: Its been that way with EVERY form of Black American Music.
Sep 24th 2016

ProgressiveSound
Member since Mar 11th 2003
2053 posts
Mon Sep-19-16 11:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's true that they get love overseas"
In response to Reply # 0

Easier for them to travel and hit up a spot or two in one country then bounce to the next.
Having that legacy brand recognition doesn't hurt either.

I'm looking forward to seeing The Artifacts/EdoG/REKS together this weekend in London.

jcpoppe
48 posts
Mon Sep-19-16 11:12 AM

2. "RE: It's true that they get love overseas"
In response to Reply # 1

I'm glad they get love overseas. I saw Naughty by Nature in Milwaukee earlier this year and they probably had (at most) 30/400 people in a city with over 600,000 and like 1.5 million when you include the metro area. They put on a dynamite show too.

DjarchieOne
Charter member
3705 posts
Tue Sep-20-16 08:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Onyx is the most popular rap group in Russia"
In response to Reply # 0

so yeah...

jcpoppe
48 posts
Tue Sep-20-16 09:05 PM

4. "RE: Onyx is the most popular rap group in Russia"
In response to Reply # 3

You just blew my mind.

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Tue Sep-20-16 10:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "They appreciated early blues and rock pioneers more, so I mean..."
In response to Reply # 0

...it shouldn't be surprising they do.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Wed Sep-21-16 12:50 AM

8. "jazz too"
In response to Reply # 5

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

jcpoppe
48 posts
Wed Sep-21-16 10:45 AM

10. "RE: They appreciated early blues and rock pioneers more, so I mean..."
In response to Reply # 5

Support is one thing, but you watch videos of some of these artist's shows around Europe and these kids are reacting so ferociously. I love to see it. And yes, kids. Not crusty mid-30's+ somethings like me and my friends.

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Tue Sep-20-16 10:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "rap is an american invention"
In response to Reply # 0

majority of the best rappers are still american. granted there are good rappers in the uk, france, brazil, etc, but not even close to the number that america has. outside of america, if you're a rap fan, you have to love and appreciate american rappers, and since they normally tour europe, and the world less than america (at least in their prime, and likely out of it too), they're going to get more love when they do travel outside of america because non american countries might not see them often.

spidey
Charter member
13122 posts
Tue Sep-20-16 11:00 PM

7. "...I have people in Europe that say yes...."
In response to Reply # 0

Was in Europe this past summer, Paris exactly, heard many people on the train rockin classic Redman, Gangstarr, and KRS....was blown away....

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

jcpoppe
48 posts
Wed Sep-21-16 10:39 AM

9. "RE: ...I have people in Europe that say yes...."
In response to Reply # 7

A guy I know tours with Masta Ace and he is always going overseas and gets mad love outside of the US, especially at the hip-hop festivals. They tour the US too, but the fans in Europe look ravenous for the style of hip-hop Masta Ace does...like they can't get enough. Ace continues to put out dope music. I'm glad he gets treated like royalty somewhere in this world when he hits the stage. America puts too many limits on rappers (age, style, etc.). But I'm getting old and tell kids to get off my lawn, so I'm stuck in a different era anyways.

spidey
Charter member
13122 posts
Wed Sep-21-16 12:22 PM

11. "RE: ...I have people in Europe that say yes...."
In response to Reply # 9

...and Ace is a legend too....

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

jcpoppe
48 posts
Thu Sep-22-16 07:31 AM

13. "RE: ...I have people in Europe that say yes...."
In response to Reply # 11

Certified. Have you heard any of his new/newer stuff? The Falling Season or The Tonite Show w/ eMC? It recently came out that Ace has MS and has for years...but dude never slows down. He's the physical embodiment of John Turturro's character in Rounders...he's a grinder.

cal.25
Member since Nov 10th 2014
188 posts
Thu Sep-22-16 02:58 AM

12. "From personal experience"
In response to Reply # 0

The main outlet of finding hip hop music was through the internet, and it's in the forums where I got put on all the 'classic' music. Take a look at the subreddit 'hiphopheads' and I bet most of the people on there aren't from the US.

Also we have our own club music! Hip hop is listened more at home/headphones, so we don't know anything about 'X' regional club hit from the 90's

jcpoppe
48 posts
Thu Sep-22-16 07:34 AM

14. "RE: From personal experience"
In response to Reply # 12

I see you are from England. The group I manage has been getting a little love there on some indie blogs and the emcee of the group did work in the past DJ Damage of Jazz Liberatorz across The Channel in France. They all do 90's style hip-hop, so it makes sense. I'd like to witness it once in person.

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Thu Sep-22-16 08:18 AM

15. "That's been the case for a good 15-20 years now."
In response to Reply # 0

Could me much longer if I'm not mistaken. Sucks to have to uproot yourself to make a living, but I'd have to imagine touring overseas helps plenty to pay the bills since rap music isn't an old man's game here in the states for the most part.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

jcpoppe
48 posts
Thu Sep-22-16 08:58 AM

17. "RE: That's been the case for a good 15-20 years now."
In response to Reply # 15

After plane and train tickets, hotels, taxes etc. I wonder how profitable it is...especially club tours. Maybe make that money up in merch and online sales? They keep going over there and the crowd wants it so there has to be some kind of financial advantage.

fatboybrandon
Member since May 15th 2010
180 posts
Thu Sep-22-16 08:23 AM

16. "Yes, I discovered how much they do after creating my blog"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-22-16 08:27 AM by fatboybrandon

It appears to be an obsession and solidified movement over there to uphold the classic Golden Era sound and culture, where as here in The U.S. the classic appreciation is more diluted within all the diversity we now have of Hip Hop as expressed through our society, media and culture.

It seems the international regions are looking at Hip Hop culture as the movie we in The U.S. are living. Each country lives Hip Hop in their own right but inner-city America makes living Hip Hop like none other from it's unique socio-economic state which created the culture and still fuels the culture.

I can't imagine obsessing over the early 90's as much as some of the people I see online at this stage in my life. I still love that sound but I'm happy to have diversified my musical palette, which is inspiration that comes from the earliest HIp Hop DJ's.

My online followers are mostly Golden Era Hip Hop-obsessed fans from Europe, then a lot of musicians and producers either emerging, established or legendary.

jcpoppe
48 posts
Thu Sep-22-16 09:03 AM

18. "RE: Yes, I discovered how much they do after creating my blog"
In response to Reply # 16

I'm friendly with the guys who run Dope Folks Records. They do limited pressings of OOP/rare/unreleased hip-hop and they ship a lot overseas I believe. I've had to get a couple of their releases 2nd hand because I waited too long and they sold out and on Discogs its almost always France, Germany, UK, etc.

_Torchbaras
Member since Jun 03rd 2011
2031 posts
Thu Sep-22-16 10:31 AM

19. "I can only speak from a Danish perspective"
In response to Reply # 0

But theres def a strong followin in that 25+ crowd that still seeks out and supports boom bap like that... Fcourse the radio and blogs are heavy into trap, both European and American, but theres still plenty youth that Explores what came before, and finds an ideal in there somewhere, not a lot, but just enuff to keep the stream goin...

----------------------------------

NEW Edo.G album FreEDOm coming soon!!!

_Torchbaras
Member since Jun 03rd 2011
2031 posts
Thu Sep-22-16 10:34 AM

20. "And on that note"
In response to Reply # 19

im off to see Reks, Edo, El and Tame tonite... Gonn be dope as hell!!!

----------------------------------

NEW Edo.G album FreEDOm coming soon!!!

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Thu Sep-22-16 02:23 PM

21. "Its been that way with EVERY form of Black American Music."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-22-16 02:35 PM by NoDrawls McGraw

You can run down the list and the same dynamic applies:
HipHop(and all its derivatives, techno, EDM, House, Jungle, Dubstep..etc..)
Funk
Jazz
Rock
Blues

The world-over appreciates the culture of Afro-Americana yet America itself is too racist to do the same. I mean think about it; Functioning under the mechanisms of a perpetual hatred of Afro-Americana, its pretty hard to pay homage to the indelible cultural impact of those whom you hate.

The numerical-dominant society(Euro-Americana) LOVE Afro-American culture while simultaneously hating Afro-Americana that-much-more for being such an inadvertently dominant cultural force reckoned-with the world over. Until Euro-Americana come to terms with/reconcile that dynamic, this phenomenon will persist.

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

jcpoppe
48 posts
Sat Sep-24-16 07:08 AM

22. "RE: Its been that way with EVERY form of Black American Music."
In response to Reply # 21

It always trips me out that it took a bunch of kids in England to fall in love with the Blues and play the Blues in their own way, to get American kids tangentially interested in the originators. But Keith Richards, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, David Gilmore, etc. looked like them so it became more palatable.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2973372 Previous topic | Next topic