Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2972290

Subject: "#BEATHACKS" Previous topic | Next topic
_Torchbaras
Member since Jun 03rd 2011
2031 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 06:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"#BEATHACKS"

Thought we could Benefit from a post centered around Sharin tricks of the Trade so here goes... I know this fits MTM criteria but since the CHOPS been Lessonbound for a solid coupla yrs it makes sense to me! Feel free to share advice, anecdotes, secrets etc.. To quote my fellow beatheads, steel sharpens steel!!!

----------------------------------

NEW Edo.G album FreEDOm coming soon!!!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
A) Organize
Sep 01st 2016
keep it simple
Sep 01st 2016
AMEN to all this!
Sep 02nd 2016
      hahaha
Sep 03rd 2016
don't over-organize and don't amass too many bells n whistles
Sep 03rd 2016
CONFLICT!
Sep 03rd 2016
      lol...well and to your point,
Sep 03rd 2016
           Oh Im trapped alright...
Sep 03rd 2016
                LOL i know what that feels like
Sep 04th 2016
keep a bunch of drums :)
Sep 03rd 2016
That #2 tho
Sep 03rd 2016
RE: That #2 tho
Sep 03rd 2016
      Damnit youre right!
Sep 03rd 2016
Number 1 and 5 are crucial
Sep 03rd 2016
i've gone full circle on 3. used to strive for separation, not anymore
Sep 03rd 2016
RE: keep a bunch of drums :)
Sep 04th 2016
pink noise trick
Sep 03rd 2016
Not even gonn pretend
Sep 03rd 2016
you can definitely do it lol...
Sep 03rd 2016
      RE: you can definitely do it lol...
Sep 04th 2016
that's a great tip
Sep 04th 2016
YOOOOOO! Good look on that tip, man!
Sep 04th 2016

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 06:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "A) Organize"
In response to Reply # 0

I layer A LOT. From LOTS of different sources within the same beat! Now, as my source collection grows bigger, I find myself Wastin plenty time on revisitin samples I already used, sometimes abandonin beats cause I cant find that one sound to complete a piece... Miracle cure was right there all along tho - Ive recently started dedicatin whole sessions to choppin up 100s of records, savin Them to instrumentthemed sketches for me to pull up ina separate window when I need JUST THAT PIANO lol! Works wonders...

liveguy
Member since Jan 01st 2004
8002 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 11:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "keep it simple"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-02-16 12:26 AM by liveguy

even just a few years ago, I was guilty of the over-do....

- Adding too much distracting shit (guilty)
- over-effecting the hell out of elements within the beat (guilty)
- doing un-needed changeups because some say a solid 4 to 8 bar seq is too repetitive (guilty)
- gear lust...wasting time (learning new gear) and money (guilty)

So many more I could name....

So my "tips"
1. Don't overthink
2. Know when to stop
3. The drums are the foundation to your house (beat)
4. The mix is the deed to said house
5. Master the gear you have and ONLY upgrade when it will improve your workflow
__

Last thing...and this has helped me a lot...I had to start forcing myself to do it...

Slow down....be patient and LISTEN to the whole song, DO NOT do the skip skip skip....

You sat down to hear a good clip to flip, might as well do yourself a favor and take the OPTIMAL piece(s).

^^this is lowkey HELLA important.

All I got.

We see through all that boo boo like it's ghost shit... (c) Quelle Chris

| http://liveguy.bandcamp.com |
| www.soundcloud.com/liveguy |
| www.twitter.com/liveguy |
| www.instagram.com/theREALliveguy |
| XBOX ONE GT: theREALliveguy |

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 02:28 AM

3. "AMEN to all this!"
In response to Reply # 2

I need to start buildin my drums as the base, cause Them shits can never stand on they own two! Bugs me out everytime I wanna do a raw drum breakdown, and I start mutin tracks, everything falls apart...

liveguy
8002 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 12:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "hahaha"
In response to Reply # 3

You already know, man!

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 03:31 PM

5. "don't over-organize and don't amass too many bells n whistles"
In response to Reply # 0

for a long time, i was guilty of just collecting garboons of my own samples and other assets that i might one day use, and organizing them all into an array of special folders etc

and also i was a junkie for collecting all kinds of software, vsts, effects, etc, etc

and then being super organized with the workflow

i find the more OCD i got, and the more hoarder-like i got, the more clogged up and stiff my actual creative process became. Same went for graphic design.

I now firmly believe its better to keep a small arsenal and go digging for anything else on the spot, because the chances are you won't even go to your old stash because you'll be inspired by some other shit you just heard or thought of anyway

Keep your process as fluid and simple as possible so you can focus on just being in the moment and actually breathing something genuine

Simplicity is also key in the final product. 9 times out of 10, we all tend to gravitate toward the simple dope beat vs the beat with a thousand effects, layers, tricks, etc. There are always exception to this.

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 04:30 PM

7. "CONFLICT!"
In response to Reply # 5

Nah, I see what youre sayin in terms of overorganizin, could totally ruin the "spark", the in the moment creativity! For me, organizin is a conscious choice to remove myself of the thousands of beats and tens of thousands random samples scattered across multiple HDs... To start from scratch, BUT w the concentrates n essentials gathered in one place, to prevent me from gettin lost in my own vaults again LOL... It does hinder me tho, Havent taken time to let that creativity Breathe for a good month, but Im confident itll just return stronger when Im ready...

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 05:16 PM

11. "lol...well and to your point, "
In response to Reply # 7

every chef needs to have some herbs on hand and know what cabinet they're in. Having to go out to the store or the garden every time you realize you want some rosemary or whatever is also going to kill the ability to just flow and let the creativity run.

So SOME basic organization is definitely a good thing, so you have an arsenal when its time to get down...its all about finding that balance and not getting trapped in it.

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 05:34 PM

15. "Oh Im trapped alright..."
In response to Reply # 11

Obsessed w gettin thru these crates... Any idea how exhaustin it is to chop up a good 1000 joints ina month LOL...

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun Sep-04-16 09:05 AM

19. "LOL i know what that feels like"
In response to Reply # 15

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 04:22 PM

6. "keep a bunch of drums :)"
In response to Reply # 0

(1) have a nice palette of drums ready

(2) 50 hz tone trick - insert a 50hz tone on a track and gate it. bus your break (or other drum) to the track and have it open the gate. play with the gate settings and levels... voila instant (808 ish) thump but still the acoustic feel of a break

(3) arrangement arrangement arrangement... i try to keep all my sounds separate. i dont like taking loops that have a piano, vibraphone, bass, horn and drums in it... i wanna find all those sounds separately. also dont have your bass fighting the kick... the piano and an organ in the same register etc

(4) remember ultimately there are no rules...just guidelines

(5) think less... feel more

peace

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 04:34 PM

8. "That #2 tho"
In response to Reply # 6

Thats the kinda lil tricks Im talkin bout!!! Nice way to phatten up, and somethin lotta people wouldnt Think of! Thx!!!

howardlloyd
2729 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 04:41 PM

9. "RE: That #2 tho"
In response to Reply # 8

a really dope and super credited engineer showed me that using an oscillator in the analog days

the nice thing about doing it in a DAW... you dont have to use exactly 50hz and you can tune it to your bassline so it fits real nice

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 05:07 PM

10. "Damnit youre right!"
In response to Reply # 9

Makes perfect sense to tune accordin to the rest. Ima try that out soon...

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 05:20 PM

12. "Number 1 and 5 are crucial"
In response to Reply # 6

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 05:22 PM

13. "i've gone full circle on 3. used to strive for separation, not anymore"
In response to Reply # 6

its a balance and really an aesthetic choice

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Sun Sep-04-16 05:03 PM

21. "RE: keep a bunch of drums :)"
In response to Reply # 6

I like 4 & 5 the most. Thanks for posting this fam!

howardlloyd
2729 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 05:23 PM

14. "pink noise trick"
In response to Reply # 0

this is one of my aces lol

when i'm starting to mix... i insert a noise generator and pull up pink noise and set it around -8db

then i go thru the tracks one by one (only one track at a time and then mute) and level them so i can just hear the track poking over the pink noise...

do it separately to all your tracks... mute the pink noise and unmute the tracks = INSTANT BALANCE

pink noise is noise across the spectrum but it is curved basically the same way our hearing is...

so if u can hear your track (just hear it) and all based on the same standard it will be balanced

of course u will still move faders to taste but... its a great starting point... not to mention if u get a session with dozens of tracks

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 05:36 PM

16. "Not even gonn pretend"
In response to Reply # 14

I could pull this off yo! Props on your dedication to balance!!!

howardlloyd
2729 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 06:47 PM

17. "you can definitely do it lol..."
In response to Reply # 16

i'm probably explaining poorly

check this out:

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/mixing-pink-noise-reference

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Sun Sep-04-16 08:58 AM

18. "RE: you can definitely do it lol..."
In response to Reply # 17
Sun Sep-04-16 09:01 AM by Small Pro

trying this out when i get home yo

thanks!

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun Sep-04-16 09:06 AM

20. "that's a great tip"

liveguy
8002 posts
Sun Sep-04-16 10:47 PM

22. "YOOOOOO! Good look on that tip, man! "

Immo try that.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2972290 Previous topic | Next topic