Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2972192

Subject: "Rank These Roots Albums 1-3..." Previous topic | Next topic
Anonymous
Charter member
23220 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 07:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rank These Roots Albums 1-3..."

I think it's safe to say that The Roots have one of the best catalogues in hip-hop and I knows that we've ranked all of their albums but I'm interested in what I think are clearly their top 3. I know others have Do You Wamt More, Phrenology, and even Rising Down in this mix...so make note of that if you'd like...

Illadelph Halflife
Things Fall Apart
Game Theory

Oh yea...explain the hairs you are splitting while ranking as I can see a case for any order here.

Peace!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Rank These Roots Albums 1-3...
Aug 31st 2016
^same
Aug 31st 2016
1. Game Theory / 2. TFA / 3. Illadelph
Aug 31st 2016
^^^my order as well
Aug 31st 2016
^^^ this one
Aug 31st 2016
Game Theory is so good.
Sep 01st 2016
I'm 99.9999999% sure Game Theory is pre-house band status
Sep 03rd 2016
      I don't think they fell off.
Sep 04th 2016
my exact picks as OP...
Sep 04th 2016
1. TFA 2. Illadelph 3. Game Theory
Aug 31st 2016
same^^^^ I like DYWM??!! better than Game Theory too
Aug 31st 2016
TFA, Illadelph, Game Theory
Aug 31st 2016
TFA/Game Theory/Illadelph
Aug 31st 2016
DYWM is my favorite
Aug 31st 2016
So I've been playing these albums and I can't decide...
Sep 01st 2016
I agree with your reasons here
Sep 02nd 2016
      RE: I agree with your reasons here
Sep 02nd 2016
Illadelph Halflife, TFA, Game Theory
Sep 01st 2016
Sep 01st 2016
Game Theory / TFA / Phrenology
Sep 01st 2016
I love Phrenology as well.
Sep 01st 2016
      Yeah Phrenology is dope
Sep 01st 2016
      honestly, I probably like it more than TFA.
Sep 01st 2016
      I could never get sick of that song
Sep 02nd 2016
           RE: I could never get sick of that song
Sep 06th 2016
                Tell me more about this Beatles version.
Sep 06th 2016
                Main loop is Beatles' "Hey Bulldog"
Sep 06th 2016
                     Jesus. This version is great.
Sep 27th 2016
                I think I agree with you.
Sep 27th 2016
1 TFA, 2 Illadelph, 3 GT
Sep 02nd 2016
DYWM, ILDHL, TFA...
Sep 02nd 2016
Follow the rules son!
Sep 02nd 2016
1. TFA
Sep 03rd 2016
post jack:does anyone have a link to Quicksand Millenium?
Sep 06th 2016
Sep 26th 2016

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16576 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 08:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Rank These Roots Albums 1-3..."
In response to Reply # 0

3. Game Theory
2. TFA
1. Illadelph Halflife

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

OutKast, Gang Starr, UGK, Mobb Deep and Eightball & MJG

Mack
Charter member
7372 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 09:59 AM

2. "^same"
In response to Reply # 1

"Dressed up like an evil villain dressed up like a soccer dad"

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24375 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 10:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "1. Game Theory / 2. TFA / 3. Illadelph"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Aug-31-16 10:22 AM by Brew

But, like you, I wouldn't argue too strongly in support of this order or against anyone with the opposite order (like the two posters above me), or any other order. All 3 are great and like you said, are clearly IMO their top 3.

I think my ranking them this way has a lot to do with my age. I was old enough to know of and hear of the Roots when Illadelph dropped but I didn't buy it at the time of its release, only hearing it in full after TFA dropped. In other words there's nostalgia tied to TFA and Game Theory that isn't necessarily tied to Illadelph for me, even if I still recognize it as a top-tier, excellent album. And while I love TFA, I find myself listening to Game Theory way more often since it dropped and I think they found a good balance of mature subject matter and the same playful, jam-band tracks they made their name on.

But again, that's just me. Someone could tell me they were 1a, 1b and 1c and I wouldn't argue. It's interesting that you made this post today cause I just listened to Game Theory front to back on Monday for the first time in a couple of years and was thinking how great it is and that it's clearly my personal favorite from their catalogue.

This also reminds me, I meant to make a post about this: why is Rising Down not on Spotify, does anyone know ?

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13181 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 12:46 PM

4. "^^^my order as well"
In response to Reply # 3

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 02:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "^^^ this one"
In response to Reply # 3

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 01:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Game Theory is so good."
In response to Reply # 3

I can't help but make faces when I hear people disregard The Roots discography post Fallon.

But yeah, I think this is my order as well.

DYWM might creep in their for nostalgic reasons. It basically was my soundtrack my freshman year in college. That, Halflife and Mint Conditions "Definition Of A Band".

https://digife.com

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4865 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 07:36 PM

26. "I'm 99.9999999% sure Game Theory is pre-house band status"
In response to Reply # 13

>I can't help but make faces when I hear people disregard The
>Roots discography post Fallon.

I used to chalk up their slight fall off to basically being done as a group in a traditional sense after Rising Down...but you may be on to something.

Maybe they fell off at least partially due to the Fallon gig...who knows.

Anyway, I agree that Game Theory is amazing. Favorite album of the decade, in fact.

GT is their master-piece

TFA is their classic

Ill is their lyrical showcase

That's how I'd rank em.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Sun Sep-04-16 10:59 AM

27. "I don't think they fell off."
In response to Reply # 26

>I used to chalk up their slight fall off to basically being
>done as a group in a traditional sense after Rising Down...but
>you may be on to something.

I also really like How I Got Over and ...and then you shoot your cousin.

It's Rising Down and undun that don't particularly hit for me.

And even then, I don't chalk that up to The Tonight Show, but like you said them changing as a band.

https://digife.com

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Sun Sep-04-16 05:01 PM

28. "my exact picks as OP..."
In response to Reply # 3

... Game Theory is just as relevant TODAY as it was when it was released. Oh and Black Thought goes super ham on it!

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44687 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 01:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "1. TFA 2. Illadelph 3. Game Theory"
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18569 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 02:23 PM

8. "same^^^^ I like DYWM??!! better than Game Theory too"
In response to Reply # 5

Game Theory is a great album but there's a few songs I could do without where on Illadelph and TFA, I don't skip. As someone else in the thread already said, TFA was more varied than Illadelph, which is why I put it above it. Illadelph was great, but TFA was just, like, extra next level. All great albums though.

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6731 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 01:35 PM

6. "TFA, Illadelph, Game Theory"
In response to Reply # 0

About a third of Game Theory is just ok to me. A few corny moments to me.

Illadeph is a masterpiece, but also kind of exhausting, with maybe too uniform of a tempo to be spread across such a long album. I like the individual songs, but not as much when they're played back to back.

TFA is a masterpiece, but also a joy to listen to from front to back, with more variety.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

handle
Charter member
18918 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 01:52 PM

7. "TFA/Game Theory/Illadelph"
In response to Reply # 0

TFA documents what made The Roots so special - it is varied and complex - while also being straightforward and honest.

Game Theory's side A is the bets side of any album by The Roots.

Ilaldelph is great - but not quite as great.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

justin_scott
Charter member
19861 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 04:20 PM

10. "DYWM is my favorite"
In response to Reply # 0

But since you asked about those 3:

Overall

TFA
Game Theory
Illadelph

But just on a purely lyrically level:

Illadelph
TFA
Game Theory

Anonymous
Charter member
23220 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 10:53 AM

11. "So I've been playing these albums and I can't decide..."
In response to Reply # 0

I can honestly see any order.

Truth is, where one lacks, another picks up the slack and vice versa.

Illadelph is what made Black Thought my favorite MC since 96. He was on absolute beast mode way before Marshawn. And Malik kept up with him incredibly. With that said, this album is long and dark. Panic!, It Just Don't Stop, Episodes, and the Hypnotic all bring concepts into the mix. But overall the album is a chore to listen to and as much as I loved it back in 96, I find myself reaching for it less and less. And you know I can't not mention how much I hate Ursula Rucker. I've since swapped that bullshit out for the gem on the High School High soundtrack which fits in nicely.

Things Fall Apart...this is their classic. It has some of my favorite moments ever on here including the song I believe is their best, Double Trouble. With that said, outside of You Got Me, the ONLY topic is how nice they are. Well, I guess you could add Act Too as a topic but it's still about hip-hop. I've grown to appreciate an album about nothing if that's what it's aiming for. Like the Artifacts' "That's Them". Nothing wrong with some good old fashion MCing. It's just when it comes to splitting hairs, I do think "rapping your ass off" and "rapping your ass off on topics" is fair game to nitpick. It's just hard when it's this good. One of my favorite Intros of all-time as well. Too bad Ursula Rucker is on here with her dumb ass. I've since swapped her out for the impeccable bonus track "I'm Out Deah Pt 3"

Game Theory to me is their tightest album. 13 cuts. Perfect length. Topics. Beautifully produced. The last album still with Thought as the lead MC before he got mixed into all the guests. There pretty much nothing I dislike about this album. The title track is one of my favorite Roots songs ever. Only negative is that it just doesn't have the same nostalgia feeling as TFA does to me.

Gun to head...
1 TFA
2 GT
3 IH

And it might change next reply...

cal.25
Member since Nov 10th 2014
188 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 10:31 AM

21. "I agree with your reasons here"
In response to Reply # 11

The nostalgia element is different for me as I discovered these albums around the same time, so my order is:

1. Game Theory
2. TFA
3. Illadelph

and i'm interested in your problems with ursula rucker?

Anonymous
Charter member
23220 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 11:15 AM

22. "RE: I agree with your reasons here"
In response to Reply # 21

Two things I hate that as soon as I "feel" it, I just can't rock with it are; 1 being extra and 2 shock value. Those things can go hand in hand. And my disdain for these two things isn't limited to music.

For starters, I'm not a fan of spoken word. It has always come off as a cliched art form in terms of delivery. I love poetry but spoken word is just over the time for me and fits my definition of 'extra'.

Second, I just don't think she's a very good writer. The pieces come off as "let's see how many times I can mention the words dick and pussy here" and it comes off as shock value and very elementary and immature despite the subject matter. I feel the poor self-editing hurts the topics and issues that she is speaking on.

Also, specifically for TFA, her piece sticks out like a sore thumb and comes off as an attempt for them to add a concept track that could fit the title since the other tracks really didn't.

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 11:56 AM

12. "Illadelph Halflife, TFA, Game Theory"
In response to Reply # 0

I loved the production on all three but I give the nod to Illadelph due to the lyricism...

We know that Black Thought is one of the greatest MCs of all time...should be in everyone's top 5 at a minimum...

Illadelph was the album that showcased his ability the most to me...lyrically...this is the one...him and Malik B complemented each other so well...best duo rapping in 1996 was these guys...

I've always treated Illadelph and TFA as 1A and 1B...and Game Theory being 2...

damngirlobserver
Charter member
1119 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 06:07 PM

14. "RE: Rank These Roots Albums 1-3..."
In response to Reply # 0

tfa
game theory
illadelph

tfa is their best, followed by game theory

illadelph is maybe third, maybe fourth

"Hypocrisy is the ultimate form of intellectual freedom." - Walleye

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7374 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 06:12 PM

15. "Game Theory / TFA / Phrenology"
In response to Reply # 0

next 3...

Illadeplh
DYWM
Tipping Point or Rising Down

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Brew
24375 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 08:45 PM

16. "I love Phrenology as well."
In response to Reply # 15

And it's damn close to Illadelph and at some points, overtakes it for the third spot.

Was just listening to Thought @ Work this morning, in fact. I love that song so much.

Anonymous
Charter member
23220 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 09:26 PM

17. "Yeah Phrenology is dope"
In response to Reply # 16
Thu Sep-01-16 09:26 PM by Anonymous

I didn't like it that much when it dropped.

Thought @ Work is a banger.

I still don't like The Seed and I could do without Pussy Galore.

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7374 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 10:11 PM

18. "honestly, I probably like it more than TFA."
Thu Sep-01-16 10:15 PM by High Society

I don't like a lot of songs on TFA.

I'm really not a big fan of The Roots even after I bought
every album through Rising Down.

I probably like Phren more than TFA but didn't want to
have to argue why about it on here.

Game Theory being the exception, I LOVE that album.
The rest - a few songs here and there on each album.

except the last 2 probably - those were duds.

imo - Game Theory is probably their only album where I'd say
The Roots were doing them.

Questlove has always said, yooooooo we went in there and tried
to make this or tried to make that. Yeah it was still the roots
because the music was made with a band but the influences were TOO clear.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 09:03 AM

20. "I could never get sick of that song"

when I first heard the album version, I was disappointed because it was different from that original beatles version, but it might have been for the best. both versions are dope. thought just destroys it.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Edweasel
Member since Jul 05th 2005
231 posts
Tue Sep-06-16 11:21 AM

29. "RE: I could never get sick of that song"
In response to Reply # 20

I like the album version more than the Beatles version (and it's not close for me). The album version was so much more frenetic and seemed to fit Thought's flow better. The other version was dope but didn't punch me in the face the same way. One is solid jab, the other is a upper-cut to the chin!

Brew
24375 posts
Tue Sep-06-16 02:11 PM

30. "Tell me more about this Beatles version."
In response to Reply # 29

Don't think I ever heard it.

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6522 posts
Tue Sep-06-16 03:02 PM

32. "Main loop is Beatles' "Hey Bulldog""
In response to Reply # 30

Obviously never officially released due to sample clearance. But it's out there...

www.twitter.com/seandammit

Brew
24375 posts
Tue Sep-27-16 11:35 AM

34. "Jesus. This version is great."
In response to Reply # 32

I love it.

I also appreciate how they didn't change the essence / feel of the song when they had to switch samples. Scratches are the same, pauses in the beat are the same, etc.

Brew
24375 posts
Tue Sep-27-16 11:37 AM

35. "I think I agree with you."
In response to Reply # 29

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 08:33 AM

19. "1 TFA, 2 Illadelph, 3 GT"
In response to Reply # 0

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 04:30 PM

23. "DYWM, ILDHL, TFA..."
In response to Reply # 0

Three straight homeruns in a row on some,
"let us pour some blunt ashes on ya'll lil dudes" tip.

Den they jumped the shark and abandoned the HipHop-Jazz aesthetic
that they spearheaded.

But regardless, cant nobody take dat trilogy from them!
They indelibly solidified their place on the Mt.Rushmore of
most bangingnest 1st 3 jointz.

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

Anonymous
Charter member
23220 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 04:43 PM

24. "Follow the rules son!"
In response to Reply # 23

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sat Sep-03-16 02:57 PM

25. "1. TFA"
In response to Reply # 0

justin_scott
Charter member
19861 posts
Tue Sep-06-16 02:44 PM

31. "post jack:does anyone have a link to Quicksand Millenium?"
In response to Reply # 0

the original, non released version? i used to have it, but lost it somehow.

GQ
Charter member
1369 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 02:56 PM

33. "RE: Rank These Roots Albums 1-3..."
In response to Reply # 0

1) DYWM!!!
2) Illadelph
3) TFA

"You don't like climbing trees?......You're missin' out." - Michael Jackson

"But Michael, you're a 44-year-old man now, what do you get out of
this?" - Martin Bashir

"Prince Michael II but we call him Blanket......because it's an expression I use

Lobby The Lesson topic #2972192 Previous topic | Next topic