Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2972158

Subject: "Earth Wind Fire, Frank Ocean, R. Kelly say Fuck Marvin Gaye" Previous topic | Next topic
BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Aug-30-16 05:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Earth Wind Fire, Frank Ocean, R. Kelly say Fuck Marvin Gaye"

(c) howardlloyd

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/blurred-lines-appeal-gets-support-924213

http://pitchfork.com/news/67932-blurred-lines-appeal-gets-support-from-more-than-200-musicians/

Following a jury’s decision that “Blurred Lines” had infringed on Marvin Gaye’s "Got to Give It Up,” several musicians spoke up about the potential legal ramifications of that decision. Today, 212 musicians came together to file an amicus brief in support of Robin Thicke, Pharrell Williams, and T.I., asking the court to overturn the $5.3 million judgment.

Weezer’s Rivers Cuomo, Danger Mouse, the Go-Go’s, Three 6 Mafia, Earth Wind & Fire, Tool, R. Kelly, Tears for Fears, Kiesza, Linkin Park, Hans Zimmer, Fall Out Boy’s Patrick Stump, Frank Ocean collaborator Malay, Jennifer Hudson, Jean Baptiste, and many more are showing their support. Find the full brief below via The Hollywood Reporter.

The artists’ brief, written by Ed McPherson, explains:

“Amici are concerned about the potential adverse impact on their own creativity, on the creativity of future artists, and on the music industry in general,if the judgment in this case is allowed to stand. The verdict in this case threatens to punish songwriters for creating new music that is inspired by prior works. All music shares inspiration from prior musical works, especially within a particular musical genre. By eliminating any meaningful standard for drawing the line between permissible inspiration and unlawful copying, the judgment is certain to stifle creativity and impede the creative process. The law should provide clearer rules so that songwriters can know when the line is crossed, or at least where the line is.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Earth Wind Fire, Frank Ocean, R. Kelly say Fuck Marvin Gaye
Aug 30th 2016
good job completely forgetting the other 200+ artists
Aug 30th 2016
      Man there are exactly two "artists" on that list that
Aug 30th 2016
      Thats the problem. This isnt about who anyone likes
Aug 31st 2016
           Totally off topic and post jackerish, but...
Sep 01st 2016
      They had to do the lawsuit though
Aug 31st 2016
LOL
Aug 31st 2016
:-)
Aug 31st 2016
RE: :-)
Aug 31st 2016
It's so many songs that would get sued, new and old. Even think
Aug 31st 2016
RE: It's so many songs that would get sued, new and old. Even think
Sep 16th 2016
I'm Still Surprised That BNH's "Saturday Night" Doesn't Come...
Sep 16th 2016
they lost live with it and its not the end off the world
Oct 02nd 2016
It's getting weird
Oct 03rd 2016
So Maxx, what are your thoughts on R Kelly being on this list?
Oct 05th 2016

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Tue Aug-30-16 06:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Earth Wind Fire, Frank Ocean, R. Kelly say Fuck Marvin Gaye"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Aug-30-16 06:51 PM by howardlloyd

a dead mans group (R.I.P. to the genius Maurice White)

a hack

and a pedophile

like i gives a fuck big reg

i dont think you are smart enough to even understand the point i was making in that other post... but have at it.

lolz

edit: and why put the copyright symbol next to my name in your OG post like I said that dumb shit

dumb mfer

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Tue Aug-30-16 08:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "good job completely forgetting the other 200+ artists"
In response to Reply # 1

and for the record, i thought the pre emptive lawsuit was shitty and they deserved to lose the lawsuit simply for that.

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Tue Aug-30-16 08:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Man there are exactly two "artists" on that list that"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue Aug-30-16 08:36 PM by howardlloyd

I respect and they both happen to be engineers (which creates a humongous conflict of interest)

jimmy Douglas and manny marroqiin

the rest of that list? I don't know 90%. and people like fall out boy and Jennifer Hudson I couldn't name a song for money.

and I'm not even doing this post

big reg did too many stupid fucking things in the OG post (ex saying fuck a dead man who happens to be a legend and who had NOTHING to do with the case).

have fun guys

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 06:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Thats the problem. This isnt about who anyone likes"
In response to Reply # 3

You had plenty of innovative artists in that list, artists who also technically got "Gayes" and were cool with it because thats how music gets made. The natural progression of this is the death of genre. We may hate trap music, but imagine if every bass heavy beat with hyperactive hi hats had to pay off Lex Luger.

"But trap sucks Reg!" you cry. But think bigger...

Only reason ive seen for the validity of this particular case is we like Gaye because he's a black classic artist and we hatw thicke because he's a white piece of shit. Which is fine valid feeling to have (race aside). But the implication is every 3 chord punk song owes the Ramones cash. Fela needs to pay up James Brown, etc.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Thu Sep-01-16 05:06 PM

10. "Totally off topic and post jackerish, but..."
In response to Reply # 5

>You had plenty of innovative artists in that list, artists
>who also technically got "Gayes" and were cool with it because
>thats how music gets made. The natural progression of this is
>the death of genre. We may hate trap music, but imagine if
>every bass heavy beat with hyperactive hi hats had to pay off
>Lex Luger.

But, ain't it messed up how all these producers took Luger's style and ran with it but he barely gets placements these days?

I'm not the world's biggest trap fan, but, that man got done wrong.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 06:17 AM

4. "They had to do the lawsuit though"
In response to Reply # 2

Its not as if Nona Gaye called Thicke up and was like, "Hey your song sounds like my pops" and he was like "Hellz no" and continued doing mounds of coke.

An intellectual rights lawyer from the multimilllion dollar Gaye estate reached out to Thick in between said coke binge and he was coherent enough to call his lawyer and they thought it was the best course of action.

Ultimately the shakedown started on the Gaye side.

tapedeck
Member since Dec 27th 2004
6785 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 10:47 AM

6. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 0

Pay up now!

Bumpin in the STEREO:
Gladys Knight&The Pips
KING-We Are King
Babyface-Return Of The Tender Lover
Brandee Younger-Wax And Wane

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 12:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. ":-)"
In response to Reply # 0

they're right.

fuck you.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 03:02 PM

8. "RE: :-)"
In response to Reply # 7

>they're right.

Yep...Marvin is my dude....But they r indeed right...

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 03:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "It's so many songs that would get sued, new and old. Even think"
In response to Reply # 0

about shit like Odyssey "Inside out" and Slave "Watching you".....Maze "Back in stride" and LTD "Back in love." Way too many songs that are nearly identical.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Fri Sep-16-16 01:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
11. "RE: It's so many songs that would get sued, new and old. Even think"
In response to Reply # 9

>about shit like Odyssey "Inside out" and Slave "Watching
>you".....Maze "Back in stride" and LTD "Back in love." Way too
>many songs that are nearly identical.

That Odyssey track was produced by the same person "Steve Washington". So, he'd basically be suing himself lol !!!

silk.later Reunion radio with Old P. & Silk http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/

"i'm talking about *Balls Deep*....In Love (c)Cleveland Jr.

He was cultivating a fine nigga farm (c)Goldmind.

R.I.P Jamie Hubley

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri Sep-16-16 02:13 AM

12. "I'm Still Surprised That BNH's "Saturday Night" Doesn't Come..."
In response to Reply # 0

...to people's mind when "Blurred Lines" is talked about, but I know they couldn't get sued since it's said on their release that it contains an interpolation/elements of "Got To Give It Up" even though I doubt they cleared it.

Anyways, my favorite cover of Marvin's song is a mid 90's house tune by The MG Band (an unknown artist/producer) https://youtu.be/EvcxF7WFH8k , another joint I doubt was copywritten or used with permission.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Oct-02-16 09:51 PM

13. "they lost live with it and its not the end off the world"
In response to Reply # 0

alot of artists lose these things. did it hurt the Beach Boys losing to Chuck Berry? Naw

Thicke was a easy target because he ain't have but one other money track,Lost without you and he was on that smooth R&B Meets Bobby Vinton steeze.

him and Pharell were embarassing in the court room because they couldn't name the chords or the sections to their track
and them turkeys jacked MJ's Opening on "Don't Stop til you get enough".

THicke is a third tier act and this one hurts him because his track record as a solo artist is just a few hits wonder. nothing memorable.

timberlake glad he didn't take that track, though he jacked "Suit and tie" his ownself

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Oct-03-16 08:36 AM

14. "It's getting weird"
In response to Reply # 13

Miguel having to pay Smashing Pumpkins.

Kanye's absolutely insane song credits which list like 15 people a song (LOLZ@ Madonna getting a songwriting credit).

etc.

Aas the end consumer it doesn't affect us, but as a creator it really is a new world out there.

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11776 posts
Wed Oct-05-16 04:17 AM

15. "So Maxx, what are your thoughts on R Kelly being on this list?"
In response to Reply # 13

Lobby The Lesson topic #2972158 Previous topic | Next topic