Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2971572

Subject: "Banned Michael Jackson Prison Video Finally Surfaces Online" Previous topic | Next topic
OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 02:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Banned Michael Jackson Prison Video Finally Surfaces Online"

Much more powerful than the Brazilian version.. 20 years ago and MJ could have made this today and it would have been just as timely. The fact this was banned shows you just how uninterested America was in having this conversation period.

>>“They Don’t Care About Us” was denounced by The New York Times even before its release, and did not reach much of its intended audience because the controversy caused by the New York Times article would go on to overshadow the song itself. Radio stations were reluctant to play it and one of the short films Jackson created for the song was banned in the US<<

http://worldtruth.tv/banned-michael-jackson-prison-video-finally-surfaces-online/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
banned, huh?
Aug 23rd 2016
I've never seen this.. only heard about it
Aug 23rd 2016
      i'm not sure it was ever banned, really.
Aug 23rd 2016
           Maybe not 'banned' by a central force...
Aug 23rd 2016
           i think the article is disingenuous.
Aug 23rd 2016
                But the US release of They Don't Care came out after You Are Not Alone
Aug 23rd 2016
                     months after You Are Not Alone
Aug 23rd 2016
           The prison version got banned for sure
Aug 23rd 2016
           my bad. Tommy Mottola is devilish.
Aug 23rd 2016
                come on, man, no need to snark.
Aug 24th 2016
                     I should've remembered.
Aug 24th 2016
                          or simply TV stations went with the less graphic version
Aug 24th 2016
                               no...it was 'banned'. as y'all said.
Aug 24th 2016
           Hey man, I like both versions of that video
Aug 24th 2016
           really? i can't stand the concert/video clip version.
Aug 24th 2016
           agreed
Aug 24th 2016
           I liked the clip version, then saw the original version and I was blown ...
Aug 25th 2016
           Who Is It is an underrated MJ song
Aug 24th 2016
                top 10 MJ greatness, IMO.
Aug 24th 2016
ok
Aug 24th 2016
i saw it back in the day and when MJ called the Jews out
Aug 28th 2016
More like "bland"
Aug 28th 2016

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 02:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "banned, huh?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Aug-23-16 02:04 PM by SoWhat

hell, it's on MJ's Vevo. it's been there since at least 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1pqi8vjTLY

fuck you.

OldPro
34401 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 02:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I've never seen this.. only heard about it"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Aug-23-16 02:08 PM by OldPro

Doesn't surprise me to hear it's leaked before but back in the day it got buried.. they wasn't having Michael on TV in chains about to lead a prison riot.

*edit*
Youtube Published date listed as Dec 12, 2010.. so yeah it's been around for a while now. First time I've seen it..

RIP MJ

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 02:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "i'm not sure it was ever banned, really."
In response to Reply # 2
Tue Aug-23-16 02:28 PM by SoWhat

there were 2 versions and neither got much play back in 1996. MJ was going through a tough time commercially here in the USA, at least. most of the singles from History were bigger hits internationally than domestically.

oh yeah...i remember there was a big controversy over the SONG itself b/c of the lyrics 'Jew me, sue me/Everybody do me' and 'Kick me, kike me/don'tcha black or white me'. MJ ended up revising the song and Sony released later versions of History w/the song edited. i bought one of the originals w/the lyrics unedited. i think all of that drama was a big reason why the song wasn't a hit stateside. well, plus the single was released months after the album had kinda died out here after 'Earth Song' had tanked as a single. i think if it had come out right on the heels of 'Scream' it might've done better in the USA.

but again...i dunno that MTV or BET or The Box ever 'banned' the video. while i don't recall seeing it on those channels i also don't recall seeing the Brazilian version on those channels very much.

this happened w/another MJ video - 'Who Is It' from Dangerous. the single tanked in the USA and there were 2 video versions. we in the USA only saw a boring clip w/concert performances that weren't even 'Who Is It' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5kyCKPafGA) but internationally they got an awesome video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-jNjomf8sE). i dunno that the second one was 'banned' here. i dunno why we didn't see it on our video channels.

fuck you.

OldPro
34401 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 03:29 PM

4. "Maybe not 'banned' by a central force..."
In response to Reply # 3

But if outlets like MTV refuse to play it it's just the same in the end. Especially when Sony was clearly not feeling what MJ was doiong here.

>'How Sony Crushed Michael Jackson’s Race Song ‘They Don’t Care About Us’<
http://2paragraphs.com/2014/12/how-sony-crushed-michael-jacksons-race-song-they-dont-care-about-us/

You're right about the "jew" stuff.. that's what I remember most about that song's controversy at the time.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 03:38 PM

5. "i think the article is disingenuous."
In response to Reply # 4

the song attracted controversy solely b/c of the 'jew me' 'kike me' lyrics. i don't recall hearing anything about the song being controversial b/c of the race stuff (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIStory:_Past,_Present_and_Future,_Book_I#Controversy_and_influence). and like i said about the video...it's key to put the video in context. the single was not a hit in the USA but it came on the heels of another unsuccessful single. and MJ's image in the USA was troubled by the molestation allegations that had come out a few years prior. the History album hadn't sold all that well and neither of those videos were the type of MJ video that would ignite big sales of the album or single. they didn't have the big dance routines from videos like 'Remember the Time' or 'Bad' or 'Beat It'. i can understand why maybe some channels wouldn't play either of them - w/o even touching the race politics.

fuck you.

jaywonder
Member since Jun 05th 2007
8431 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 06:36 PM

7. "But the US release of They Don't Care came out after You Are Not Alone"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue Aug-23-16 06:46 PM by jaywonder

Which was a hit. Sony USA sent Earth Song to some radio stations and MTV, BET, and The Box but they ultimately made This Time Around the main promo single until they put out They Don't Care About Us, then waited to put Stranger In Moscow out for a year

http://themichaeljacksonarchives.tumblr.com/

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 07:05 PM

8. "months after You Are Not Alone"
In response to Reply # 7

after it had lost momentum. This Time Around and Earth Song did not pick up the momentum of YANN. so by the time Sony came w/TDCAB the project was dying out. in the USA at least.

fuck you.

jaywonder
8431 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 06:32 PM

6. "The prison version got banned for sure"
In response to Reply # 3

MTV and I think BET premiered the videos, playing the prison version then the Brazilian version. After that, the prison version was shelved and they (BET) sporadically played the Brazilian version

http://themichaeljacksonhistorian.tumblr.com/

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 07:05 PM

9. "my bad. Tommy Mottola is devilish."
In response to Reply # 6

i forgot!

fuck you.

jaywonder
8431 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 12:52 AM

10. "come on, man, no need to snark. "
In response to Reply # 9

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 07:05 AM

11. "I should've remembered."
In response to Reply # 10

Tommy Motolla is the devil. So of course the video was banned. Not just that channels didn't air it due to lack of interest there had to be a conspiracy.

fuck you.

jaywonder
8431 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 11:33 AM

12. "or simply TV stations went with the less graphic version"
In response to Reply # 11

but okay

http://themichaeljacksonarchives.tumblr.com/

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 11:38 AM

13. "no...it was 'banned'. as y'all said."
In response to Reply # 12

fuck you.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 01:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "Hey man, I like both versions of that video"
In response to Reply # 3

Who Is It is my favorite song on Dangerous.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 01:59 PM

15. "really? i can't stand the concert/video clip version."
In response to Reply # 14

and 'Who Is It' is also my fave on Dangerous. it's a stone-cold JAM. it was the first song i heard from the album - even before 'Black or White'. the main R&B station in STL had a copy of that song b4 the 'B/W' single came out and they played it in heavy rotation for a few days. i was FLOORED. and then they stopped playing it in favor of 'B/W' and i was disappointed.

fuck you.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 03:24 PM

18. "agreed"

that song is killer and I feel like casual fans don't even know about it.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

jaywonder
8431 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 03:56 AM

20. "I liked the clip version, then saw the original version and I was blown ..."

I think it's one of his greatest videos

http://themichaeljacksonhistorian.tumblr.com/

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 03:22 PM

17. "Who Is It is an underrated MJ song"
In response to Reply # 3

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 03:31 PM

19. "top 10 MJ greatness, IMO."
In response to Reply # 17

fuck you.

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 02:37 PM

16. "ok "
In response to Reply # 0

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Aug-28-16 04:04 PM

21. "i saw it back in the day and when MJ called the Jews out"
In response to Reply # 0

it was a wrap. truth is MJ could have put out a 3 album set for History and they would have been cool with it. Tommy M though forced "Blood on the dance floor" out against MJ's wishes. Blood the title track sounded like a Poor Man's remember the time and also MJ wasn't doing nothing much with Teddy Riley but ya ain't heard that from me.

anyway MJ from dangerous onward was bringing it more raw and he was speaking out on this racist Klan heads at Sony.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

ToeJam
Charter member
2103 posts
Sun Aug-28-16 06:30 PM

22. "More like "bland""
In response to Reply # 0

or abandoned

Lobby The Lesson topic #2971572 Previous topic | Next topic