Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2971375

Subject: "do the kids like drums or what?" Previous topic | Next topic
SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Aug-22-16 11:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"do the kids like drums or what?"

the lack of BASS in so much modern music really irks me. b/c i like that bottom. i like that rattling shit. i was raised on it. all of my favorite songs have prominent bass sounds - via drums or guitar or keys. all of them - 'Back to Life', 'Billie Jean' and 'So What' are my top 3, btw.

anyway, these days kids seem to dig songs that kinda REMIND us of bass but there's little actual bass. the songs play w/my expectations - i keep WAITING for the pay-off in the form of some bottom. some rhythm. some funk. but it doesn't come. the record ends. it's like constant foreplay w/no orgasm. or a roller coaster that just keeps going up and sitting at the top but never dropping.

i haven't heard the new Frank Ocean album but somebodies say several songs have 'no drums'. *sigh* i'm gonna listen but hearing that critique made me wonder what's up w/the kids and drums/bass.

fuck you.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Maybe comes from listening primarily on phones/devices?
Aug 22nd 2016
maybe so.
Aug 22nd 2016
I'm told it has to do with listening to everything on computers/earbuds.
Aug 22nd 2016
i'd believe it.
Aug 22nd 2016
I dont know about that
Aug 25th 2016
Nahhhh, it's actually opposite. They LOVE Trap music, but here's what
Aug 26th 2016
my complaint is theres too much bbass, but synthetic
Aug 22nd 2016
Speaking my language my man.
Aug 22nd 2016
he said he can't even
Aug 23rd 2016
Haha right. So many things.
Aug 23rd 2016
I think that interview confirms it's
Aug 26th 2016
good question
Aug 23rd 2016
i think you're on to something.
Aug 23rd 2016
ALLLLLLLLLLL they fuckin like is TRAPPP
Aug 26th 2016

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Mon Aug-22-16 11:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Maybe comes from listening primarily on phones/devices?"
In response to Reply # 0

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Aug-22-16 11:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "maybe so."
In response to Reply # 1

fuck you.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Aug-22-16 11:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I'm told it has to do with listening to everything on computers/earbuds."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Aug-22-16 11:47 AM by Teknontheou

Plus, this generation isn't driving or owning cars nearly as much as prior ones did, so there's less consideration for how things will sound booming from your Jeep.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Aug-22-16 11:54 AM

4. "i'd believe it."
In response to Reply # 2

maybe that's why so many records rely on atmosphere - so much treble and so little bass.

fuck you.

C. Thelonius
Member since Mar 14th 2008
825 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 09:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "I dont know about that"
In response to Reply # 2

Because with the ipod/smartphone revolution also came the premium headphones craze not too long after. Beats marketed itself first, if im not mistaken, to the non-audiophile audience and when it finally broke thru, now you see lots of folks just walking around and even exercising with $300 headphones. Many of these headphones are known to cater to the low end too, Beats, of course, Sol Republic, Sony (their non-premium headphones too), etc. So I don't completely buy this reason.

#NP: Janelle Monae-DC, Pusha T-Daytona, Royce-Book of Ryan, Blue Note All-Stars-OPOV, Chris Dave/Drumhedz-Glow, Conway-GOAT, Black Milk-Fever, KRIT-4eva Is a Mighty.., Phonte-NNIGN, August Greene, Jericho Jackson
@LargesseMorlu

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 03:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Nahhhh, it's actually opposite. They LOVE Trap music, but here's what"
In response to Reply # 2

it is....Trap = heavy holding rumbling 808's....versus clear baselines, or even sharp short 808 kicks (such as Game How we do, Youngbloodz Damn)

And that's because of the Beats by Dre era...they listen in those big headphones the most, so they just want the bass to hit in those headphones.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Mon Aug-22-16 06:39 PM

5. "my complaint is theres too much bbass, but synthetic "
In response to Reply # 0

i aint talking moog synthesizers. im talking about that 808 drone bass. theres so much bass that the actual music is obscured (which is okay, because its mediocre anyways).

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Aug-22-16 08:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Speaking my language my man."
In response to Reply # 0

Just today I said a lot of the same things you're saying, specifically in response to what was posted about Frank's new album. Reading that the album lacks drums made me cringe.

On a similar note I watched this interview a few weeks ago for some reason and wanted to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz-elLXQ5Yk

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 07:25 AM

7. "he said he can't even"
In response to Reply # 6

read bars lol

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 07:57 AM

8. "Haha right. So many things."
In response to Reply # 7

Kid is The Worst.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

AZ
Charter member
12930 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 02:18 AM

12. "I think that interview confirms it's"
In response to Reply # 6

the drugs.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 09:55 AM

9. "good question"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know that I buy the headphones/computer speakers/quality streaming thing... but maybe I'm just not following the logic.

Have to think more, but off the top:
a) Especially in terms of popular music, one of the easiest ways to
differentiate yourself right now is probably to turn down/off the drums
as a means toward turning down the volume in general. Contemporary
popular music (across genres) tends to be very loud and flat, much of it
being dominated by drums/beats (and blaring synths, I suppose). Turn
down/off the drums, you're already very far along to sounding different.
(I don't mean this as an aim to get radio play, because I don't think
that's the goal --- to be ultra-cynical, cutting the drums and going for
ambience = artsy/alternative/indie/whatever.)

b) I think an argument could be made that we're seeing a new interest in
the lineage of musical styles that tend to give less emphasis the traditional pop modes of drum and bass. I'm thinking here especially of mid-20th c.
minimalists and the more avant-garde composers, but also strains of jazz and electronic/ambient music. It's been a long time
coming and it isn't unprecedented: one of the strange twists in popular
music is how you have this major push toward the avant garde and sound
experimentation in the late '60s and very early '70s (think the Beatles,
Velvet Underground, so on), and that very quickly gets marginalized
(though none of it disappears, of course, staying alive in its own
corridors of electronic music, strains of jazz, and many other spaces).

Anyhow, I'm already writing too much, but there's definitely been a lot
of new interest in a lot of this work. In the last, say, five years, I can think of numerous albums across numerous genres that pretty explicitly nod to, say, the dissonance experiments of 20th c. classical (Of Montreal, The Roots) --- and a lot of folks today explicitly work in those domains (Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead, Glenn Kotche of Wilco). But my main point here is that, with the internet, I think a lot of older stuff that previously sat at the far margins of pop are filtering in: you have Pfork reviewing Reich or Glass albums (or Reich/Glass *remix* albums), you have nu-classical folks working a lot of with popular artists (not to mention the increasing mix of nu-classicalish and jazz-ish folks: see Ambrose Akinmusire), and you have a new interest in "high" performance and visual arts that have a natural connection to "high" musical arts of the past century. So there are a lot of ways that older (quieter? lol) traditions are getting closer to the mainstream than they have in a long time. (I mean --- Kanye.)

The natural genre-busting that has arrived via the internet is critical here, too: you look at the credits and whatnot on Ocean's album, and it's reminiscent of Yeezus in its unpredictability, its many connections to pretty much any plane of music you want to touch. And I think that has helped to facilitate the interest above, whether conscious or unconscious.

Maybe another way to say this is that a lot of younger folks today are clearly trying to make art pieces, and they're consciously or unconsciously reaching back to a wider range of genres to do so? They're interested in atmosphere and aesthetic as much as content. I don't know, maybe this doesn't get at what you're getting at... but I've rambled long enough so I'm post this thing, lol, even though I'll probably disagree with everything I wrote in about 5 minutes.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 10:13 AM

10. "i think you're on to something."
In response to Reply # 9

while i agreed that part of this no drums thing is about the kids listening to music on earbuds - i see that from the perspective of the listener.

the acts themselves seem to be trying to make music that's different for the sake of being different. kinda like how a few years ago we were introduced to singing acts w/bad voices. singers who couldn't actually sing. (thanks, Dre 3000 and Kanye). that wasn't brand new (thanks, Tom Waits) but it was new for the time b/c we hadn't had a mainstream act who couldn't hold a note. the kids ate it up.

i see this no drums/no bass thing kinda like that bad singing thing. like acts wanted to explore that possibility.

fuck you.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 03:23 AM

14. "ALLLLLLLLLLL they fuckin like is TRAPPP"
In response to Reply # 0

Think about how Bryson Tiller became the hottest R&B singer, because he made "Trap Soul" meaning even your R&B has to be Trap. And Trap is really based on heavy 808's and no baselines, because they conflict...not many songs really know how to use a baseline and an 808 at the same time, because they clash, such as how "Rack city's" baseline clashes with the 808s and gets distorted.

As I say above, the Beats by Dre era may be one reason. I mean, late 80's heads loved 808s because they had bass in their cars, but this Uber era doesn't care much about installing sound...shit, my system is broke right now and I can barely find someone who stays open after 5 to fix it!

But yeah, this era doesn't dance to baselines, either. I remember playing an early set a few years back....and I was playing all the early 2000's upbeat R&B music that had more basslines than 808s, and the crowd wasn't moving much. Then, SOOOON as I played Eric Bellinger "I don't want her" and then Kid Ink "Show me," they started moving, and I realized that I felt the bass a lot more as well. So yeah, the young folks just react harder to the damn 808 than anything else.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Lobby The Lesson topic #2971375 Previous topic | Next topic