Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2968144

Subject: "Artists you still check everything from even though they're washed" Previous topic | Next topic
CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Tue Jun-21-16 08:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Artists you still check everything from even though they're washed"

What are some artist who, you know damn well going in before the new track even starts that it's gonna be trash, yet you click anyway holding out hope of all hopes that, "THEY BACK!"

I'll start....

Wyclef.

Man, I loved 'Clef. Prolly even held on longer than I should have. And everytime I see he has a new song, I know in my soul I'm just not gonna like it, I hold out some sort of hope that this is the one where I go, "Aw shit! Wyclef got some new hot shit!"

Hell, at this point, shit doesnt even have to be hot, I just want to like it....

Add on.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Few years ago, I would've said Pink Floyd.
Jun 21st 2016
I'm with you here. Big Floydhead but kinda gave up on expecting greatnes...
Jun 22nd 2016
      RE: I really liked the Endless River.
Jun 22nd 2016
           Man, Louder than Words is trash to me. Polly's lyrics are cornball
Jun 23rd 2016
                RE: Man, Louder than Words is trash to me. Polly's lyrics are cornball
Jun 24th 2016
Del, Richard Ashcroft, Grand Puba, Interpol,
Jun 22nd 2016
RE: Ugh, Richard Ashcroft.
Jun 22nd 2016
      His self importance has been his downfall.
Jun 23rd 2016
WuTang, Mos Def
Jun 22nd 2016
A Better Tomorrow was good!
Jun 23rd 2016
RE: Artists you still check everything from even though they're washed
Jun 23rd 2016
Yea Em always gets my ear...
Jun 26th 2016
Kanye count?
Jun 23rd 2016
RE: Artists you still check everything from even though they're washed
Jun 23rd 2016
Someone, ANYone hook him up with good production
Jun 23rd 2016
      RE: Someone, ANYone hook him up with good production
Jun 23rd 2016
I guess Wu-Tang, although...
Jun 23rd 2016
Young Dro
Jun 23rd 2016
dj quik. snoop. jeezy. hov.
Jun 24th 2016
Wayne.
Jun 24th 2016

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Tue Jun-21-16 11:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Few years ago, I would've said Pink Floyd."
In response to Reply # 0

But Gilmour has kind of redeemed himself with On an Island/The Endless River/Rattle that Lock.

Can't really think of anyone else.

"I wasn't sure if I was lost or running away again. . ."

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2016/269401

natenate101
Member since Apr 21st 2015
682 posts
Wed Jun-22-16 02:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I'm with you here. Big Floydhead but kinda gave up on expecting greatnes..."
In response to Reply # 1

from Gilmour and/or Waters. But I did like On An Island, didn't care for Endless River and enjoy moments on Rattle That Lock. The lead single is trash but A Boat Lies Waiting and Faces of Stone are top notch.

Lot of talk that Waters will be coming out with a new concept album in the near future. Hoping for the best but keeping my expectations in check.

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed Jun-22-16 01:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: I really liked the Endless River."
In response to Reply # 3
Wed Jun-22-16 01:39 PM by Austin

I thought it was a really nice album — really good at illustrating how influential the band has been on the instrumental "post-rock" scene. And I thought 'Louder than Words' was a very poignant and resonating closer. A fitting farewell tune.

On an Island is so good, it's just silly. I really was surprised by that album and have been revisiting it a lot recently. Just a very strong album.

And, in the spirit of the OP, I like all the post-Wall stuff — solo and Pink Floyd. Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, Radio K.A.O.S., Amused to Death, Momentary Lapse and Division Bell. Even though I know that stuff isn't the greatest, I still enjoy it quite a lot.

I would welcome new Waters material. Apprehensively, maybe. But it would certainly be fun to hear him rant about the modern world one more time.

Did you hear that recent live Wall album of his? This one: https://www.discogs.com/Roger-Waters-The-Wall/master/916646

The Wall isn't my favorite thing, so I've skipped it thus far.

natenate101
682 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 12:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Man, Louder than Words is trash to me. Polly's lyrics are cornball"
In response to Reply # 5

Some sections of The Endless River though really gave me goosebumps and took me back to Echoes and such. But it needed for complete songs and the Floyd going out with the limp Louder Than Words will always sadden me.

Speaking of Waters, did you ever hear him perform this song at the Newport Festival? https://youtu.be/DRM9IC_wpNk
So great. I loved Pros and Cons and enjoyed some of Radio Kaos, but he lost me on Amused To Death. The lyrics were given top billing and the music was all but forgotten on that one. Plus he stopped "singing" and just started reciting his lyrics, trying to cram as many deep thoughts as he could. It was too much and just not a great listen. I bought the remastered version last year hoping I missed something and I ended up feeling the same. For me he needs a collaborator musically. The video I posted above gives me hope though, I love that song and dig him playing piano.

Watched The Wall doc in the theater and bought the Blu Ray. Loved it loved it loved it. The Wall was never my favorite, that would be Animals, but it's grown on me immensely over the years and I now would say it's top 3.

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Fri Jun-24-16 03:01 PM

17. "RE: Man, Louder than Words is trash to me. Polly's lyrics are cornball"
In response to Reply # 7

>Speaking of Waters, did you ever hear him perform this song at
>the Newport Festival? https://youtu.be/DRM9IC_wpNk
>So great. I loved Pros and Cons and enjoyed some of Radio
>Kaos, but he lost me on Amused To Death. The lyrics were given
>top billing and the music was all but forgotten on that one.
>Plus he stopped "singing" and just started reciting his
>lyrics, trying to cram as many deep thoughts as he could. It
>was too much and just not a great listen. I bought the
>remastered version last year hoping I missed something and I
>ended up feeling the same. For me he needs a collaborator
>musically. The video I posted above gives me hope though, I
>love that song and dig him playing piano.

Man, I was there for that. Pretty much same vantage point of that video. He was excellent that night. Not sure why he chose to use My Morning Jacket as his backing back, but it worked...

----

natenate101
682 posts
Wed Jun-22-16 02:02 AM

2. "Del, Richard Ashcroft, Grand Puba, Interpol,"
In response to Reply # 0

Wu-Tang
Pixies (not washed, but their comeback album was mediocre. New one to be released in a few months should be stronger)
Aceyalone and Abstract Rude (still fairly solid but not what he used to be)
Cedric and Omar from ATDI and The Mars Volta
Roger Waters
DJ Shadow
Prince PO
My Morning Jacket
Mos Def
Masta Killa
Latyrx
The Flaming Lips
Jane's Addiction
Cypress Hill
EPMD

Not all of these acts are "washed" but are mostly past their heydays and can't always be counted on to make quality releases these days. Hit or miss but I still show love and check for them. There's more but that's all I got for now.

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed Jun-22-16 01:47 PM

6. "RE: Ugh, Richard Ashcroft."
In response to Reply # 2

I just can't learn my lesson with that guy. Really, the only things of his that I truly and sincerely love without reservation are the first Verve EP and album. After that, it's just so. . . I don't know. "Contrived" doesn't really seem like the right word because he does appear to be genuinely inspired. But it's just that he's so super serious and hell bent on making his "art" give the impression of "importance." But it's so boombastic and grandiose.

But every once in a while, he'll do something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlBnvfdtOwk

And it gets my hopes high.

Only to be let down. Again.

natenate101
682 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 12:38 AM

8. "His self importance has been his downfall. "
In response to Reply # 6

No one to call him out for terrible lyrics and overwrought production in his last 4 albums. I love all Verve albums pretty equally, thought the first album is probably my favorite. I also really got into his album Alone With Everyone. There are some gems on there. But after that he really lost it. That United Nations of Sound album is beyond awkward. His new album musically has some nice tunes but again the guy has nothing new to say. Probably needs to get back on the drugs, lol.

We'll always have A Storm In Heaven, A Northern Soul and Urban Hymns. But the ep and b-sides comp No Come Down which is pretty epic.

blackfoot_female
Member since Jul 15th 2002
967 posts
Wed Jun-22-16 10:21 AM

4. "WuTang, Mos Def"
In response to Reply # 0

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 07:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "A Better Tomorrow was good!"
In response to Reply # 4

Although it seems like only feel this way.

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 10:34 AM

10. "RE: Artists you still check everything from even though they're washed"
In response to Reply # 0

Kanye - lol I know not considered washed but I haven't liked anything since MBDTF but still checking hoping I will like something again

I would have said Prince but RIP, interested to see what gets released from vault now

Eminem - I will prob check out another album as MMLP2 had moments and enjoyed on first listen, just lost its appeal subsequent listens

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Sun Jun-26-16 10:38 PM

20. "Yea Em always gets my ear..."
In response to Reply # 10

Just because he's so insanely talented with the pen. I'll always check his work because he's bound to blow my mind with some of his bars. But he really hasn't had more than a handful of enjoyable songs since like 2009.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 04:43 PM

11. "Kanye count?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeezus and TLOP each had a few joints I like, but overall...

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

spidey
Charter member
13125 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 04:47 PM

12. "RE: Artists you still check everything from even though they're washed"
In response to Reply # 0

J-Live, and it pains me to say it...brother was THAT nice....

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 05:28 PM

13. "Someone, ANYone hook him up with good production"
In response to Reply # 12

>J-Live, and it pains me to say it...brother was THAT
>nice....

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

spidey
Charter member
13125 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 06:04 PM

15. "RE: Someone, ANYone hook him up with good production"
In response to Reply # 13

I know...I don't get it. From what I have read, Live kinda brought Oddisee into the game, so just strange that he does not lace dude...anyway, there are a lot of producers bringing heat, there are no excuses for the last 2-3 LP's he has released...too talented on the Mic to release that ish....

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 05:35 PM

14. "I guess Wu-Tang, although..."
In response to Reply # 0

....I can't/won't/don't call them "washed" or "trash".

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 06:34 PM

16. "Young Dro"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Fri Jun-24-16 03:16 PM

18. "dj quik. snoop. jeezy. hov."
In response to Reply # 0

Stadium Status
Member since Sep 03rd 2007
1155 posts
Fri Jun-24-16 03:38 PM

19. "Wayne."
In response to Reply # 0

Ras Kass
...The Roots?

A one-stop page for new content from former Grantland-ers: https://twitter.com/grantlander33

Lobby The Lesson topic #2968144 Previous topic | Next topic