Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2968113

Subject: "Anyone read "Kanye West owes me $300" by Jensen Karp aka Hot Karl?" Previous topic | Next topic
mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Tue Jun-21-16 02:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Anyone read "Kanye West owes me $300" by Jensen Karp aka Hot Karl?"

Plowed through it in about two days. Fairly interesting/entertaining read. It's sort of reminiscent of parts of the J-Zone book, except Hot Karl got signed to Interscope and was given a huge budget, only to get shelved months before he was about to release his album.

It's a fairly fascinating look at the hip-hop music industry in late '90s/early '00s, ***right*** before Napster really changed everything and when label spent tons of money on artists and even worked on artist development.

It also shows the process of how someone who made his name as a battle rapper had to put together a "complete" album, with club songs and guest appearances and "hot" producers. How these type of artists can work with their heroes like MC Serch, "street" rappers like Redman, but also record tracks with guys like Mark MacGrath.

It also shows a moment in time when Interscope would pour hundreds of thousands of dollars into Hot Karl's album but wouldn't take phone calls from Will.I.Am.

The anecdote can be pretty amusing too, especially his brushes with Kanye West, Suge Knight, Pink, 50 Cent, the Rhyme Syndicate circa '92, and a pork-hating Busta Rhymes.

I'm a little surprised I'd never heard of dude when he was coming up, but I figure that's because he was an LA radio phenomenon. First time I heard of him was when I got mailed a promo copy of the indie album he eventualy put out. I'm not sure I ever listened to it. Then I saw him interviewed in the "Adult Rappers" documentary that dropped earlier this year.

I'd recommend it as entertaining summer reading.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I saw someone reading this on the train
Jun 21st 2016
All good. It is an enjoyable read.
Jun 22nd 2016
Sounds fun, thanks for the rec
Jun 22nd 2016
i remember him from his 92.3 radio promo spots
Jun 22nd 2016
He acknowledges the Em comparisons head on.
Jun 24th 2016
Just finished the audiobook
Jul 31st 2018

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Tue Jun-21-16 03:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I saw someone reading this on the train "
In response to Reply # 0

The cover caught my attention right away. Thanks for the synopsis.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

mrhood75
44713 posts
Wed Jun-22-16 02:00 PM

2. "All good. It is an enjoyable read."
In response to Reply # 1

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Wed Jun-22-16 02:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Sounds fun, thanks for the rec"
In response to Reply # 0

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

Bblock
Member since Feb 20th 2012
6243 posts
Wed Jun-22-16 03:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "i remember him from his 92.3 radio promo spots"
In response to Reply # 0

i always thought of him as a gimmick
an eminem knockoff
especially down to the double entendre name of hot karl
will read the book though

life always offers you a 2nd chance...it's called tomorrow. use it wisely

mrhood75
44713 posts
Fri Jun-24-16 12:41 PM

5. "He acknowledges the Em comparisons head on."
In response to Reply # 4

As in "white guy who 'sounds white' that uses a lot of pop culture references when he raps." According to the book, they were coming up at vaguely the same time, or at least he starting to make noise in the LA scene just as Em was making noise at Interscope. Em is a big part of the book, even though he never actually "appears." If for no other reason than lots of people keep warning Karp that Interscope may have signed him just so he didn't compete with Em. I don't know if that theory holds water, because the label spent LOTS of money on him. Even though it's Interscope and even then Iovine had more money than God, it would seem like a waste. However, Karp also notes that Interscope snapped up him, Bubba Sparxxx, and Haystak all at roughly the same time.

>will read the book though

Word up.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

IslaSoul
Member since Aug 01st 2003
5947 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 06:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Just finished the audiobook"
In response to Reply # 0

It was ok. I liked the Will.I.Am, Bubba, 'Ye (reminded me of how far 'Ye came since his early producing days) & Mack 10 stories the most. Listened to his music to get an idea of what 'the industry' saw in him and I couldn't see him going past one hit (if he would've gotten his album released on Interscope). The similarities with Em are definitely there, but his pop culture references were weaker/cornier and the beats were, for mainstream early 00' standards, not good.

I read this back to back with J-Zone's book. First part was great, second part didn't grab me at all.

http://islasoul.bandcamp.com

Lobby The Lesson topic #2968113 Previous topic | Next topic