Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2966391

Subject: "Bad Boys for God: Diddy’s Lost Gospel Album" Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Tue May-24-16 02:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bad Boys for God: Diddy’s Lost Gospel Album"

Watching the recent Bad Boy Reunion Concert on the Today Show brought back many jiggy memories of yesteryear when the label launched by a lanky kid, called Puff Daddy, created music that became the soundtracks to our lives. From day one, with the debuts of Craig Mack and The Notorious B.I.G, the Bad Boy roster prided itself on creating the perfect synthesis of street beats and, with the remixes of “Flava in Ya Ear” and “One More Chance,” soul sensibilities and club banger power. Throughout the decade, whether in the spot, hanging on the block, or watching videos at the crib, a bangin’ Bad Boy track by Faith (“Soon As I Get Home”), Total (“Can’t You See”), 112 (“Cupid”), or The LOX (“Money Power Respect”) was bound to be blaring from somebody’s speakers.

Bad Boy spread their buttery Hitmen-produced sound across the world, cultivating a lifestyle aesthetic that spread beyond the borders of pop music as their (mostly) young fans tried to emulate Puff and company’s lavish taste in expensive clothes, cars, and cocktails. While some people saw the glam videos and records as preaching materialism, in 1997, Puffy Daddy and producer Stevie J (yes, that Stevie J) decided to balance that message with the creation of the label’s first gospel album Thank You.

For old school Bad Boy Records enthusiasts like me, Thank You remains one of most interesting “lost albums” of the ghetto fabulous generation. Describing “lost” as music that was recorded but, for whatever reasons, never released, Thank You joins D’Angelo’s much anticipated James River and Dr. Dre’s much-hyped Detox as one of the great “what if’s” in contemporary Black music. Spearheaded by Diddy’s spiritual advisor, Hezekiah Walker, the timing was perfect for Bad Boy to do its own contemporary R&B gospel album. After all, this was 1996 when artists like CeCe Winans (Alone In His Presence) and Kirk Franklin (Whatcha Lookin' 4) were topping the charts and winning Grammys. Thank You was supposed to include B.I.G., Faith, Tanya Blount, Brandy, Carl Thomas, John P. Kee, Brian McKnight, Boys II Men and Total.

Originally scheduled to drop in the summer of 1997, after the sudden murder of B.I.G. on March 9, 1997, and the launch of the best-selling No Way Out (Puff Daddy & the Family) album and tour, Thank You was shelved indefinitely. In 2001, Bad Boy revisited the project and removed former label artists The LOX and Tanya Blount, replacing them with Thelma Guyton and Joe, however that version of Thank You also was shelved. Although never officially released, many of the tracks slanted for Thank You, including the collabo first single “You,” was released in some form on other projects.

Read more at EBONY http://www.ebony.com/entertainment-culture/bad-boy-reunion-90s-music#ixzz49bHSEJ4C

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I bet that album was prolly awesome....
May 24th 2016
I've always been really intrigued by Bad Boys vault...
May 25th 2016
Mario Was Going To Invite His Family Members...
May 25th 2016
i don't see there...
May 28th 2016
smmfh
May 28th 2016

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Tue May-24-16 04:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I bet that album was prolly awesome...."
In response to Reply # 0

While I'm not a big gospel guy, I bet with Diddy and Hitmen and that list of names there's probably some good songs on there.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Af-1
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
3457 posts
Wed May-25-16 06:29 AM

2. "I've always been really intrigued by Bad Boys vault..."
In response to Reply # 0

I figure there must be quite a lot of unreleased material and I know I'd love to hear it.

-----
Check me out, say hi...
Visit our soul/jazz/funk internet radio station, Blue-in-Green:RADIO: http://www.blueingreenradio.com/
https://www.mixcloud.com/Blue_in_Green_Sessions/
http://soundcloud.com/user305437292

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Wed May-25-16 07:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Mario Was Going To Invite His Family Members..."
In response to Reply # 0

...to do a ton of guest appearances and that half the production on his second album was the tracks he produced for that Bad Boy Gospel album.

Also wasn't Kelly Price going to switch over to Bad Boy for this album but her deal fell thru and Def Jam kept her for two more albums?

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Sat May-28-16 06:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "i don't see there..."
In response to Reply # 0

...not being a couple heaters on this

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Sat May-28-16 06:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "smmfh "
In response to Reply # 0

The shiny church suit era

Lobby The Lesson topic #2966391 Previous topic | Next topic