Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2963486

Subject: "Any fellow Bill Evans fanatics here? New unreleased music (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
C. Thelonius
Member since Mar 14th 2008
825 posts
Sun Apr-24-16 11:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Any fellow Bill Evans fanatics here? New unreleased music (swipe)"

I had no idea this was released for RSD, but this is major! It's unreleased material of the Gomez-DeJohnette trio of which there is only one other recording (the first Live at Montreux Jazz record I believe) of this brief trio before Miles grabbed DeJohnette for his fusion band. I haven't copped yet, so I have no idea as to the quality of the recording but the quality of the music HAS to be good.

http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/8512

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21799-some-other-time-the-lost-session-from-the-black-forest/

Released for Record Store Day is this newly discovered Bill Evans studio album recorded by the legendary MPS Records producer and label owner, Hans Georg Brunner-Schwer, at his studio in Villingen, Germany (aka "the Black Forest"). Recorded literally five days after the legendary live performance at the 1968 Montreux Jazz Festival, which was released on Verve and won a Grammy, this is the only studio album recorded of this trio featuring bassist Eddie Gomez and drummer Jack DeJohnette. • Liner notes to include new historical essays from jazz journalist Marc Myers and German jazz historian Friedhelm Schulz; interviews from Eddie Gomez, Jack DeJohnette and other musicians; plus rare and previously unpublished photos. • Last Bill Evans release from Resonance, 2012’s Live at Art D'Lugoff's Top of The Gate, has sold over 30,000 copies worldwide.

SIDE A You Go Right To My Head, Very Early, What Kind Of Fool Am I?, I'll Remember April, My Funny Valentine; SIDE B Baubles, Bangles and Beads (duo), Turn Out The Stars, It Could Happen To You, In A Sentimental Mood, These Foolish Things, Some Other Time; SIDE C You're Gonna Hear From Me, Walking Up, Baubles, Bangles and Beads (trio), It's Alright With Me (Incomplete), What Kind Of Fool Am I?; SIDE D How About You, On Green Dolphin Street, I Wonder Why, Lover Man (Oh Where Can You Be?), You're Gonna Hear From Me (Alt Take)

#NP: Janelle Monae-DC, Pusha T-Daytona, Royce-Book of Ryan, Blue Note All-Stars-OPOV, Chris Dave/Drumhedz-Glow, Conway-GOAT, Black Milk-Fever, KRIT-4eva Is a Mighty.., Phonte-NNIGN, August Greene, Jericho Jackson
@LargesseMorlu

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
not a fanatic but I love the mans music more than most
Apr 24th 2016
yeah mos def. i know it's on itunes but beyond that i'm not sure n/m
Apr 24th 2016
RE: I've become so disillusioned with Record Store Day.
Apr 24th 2016
I need this
Apr 24th 2016
RE: I need this
Apr 24th 2016
Apr 24th 2016
Apr 28th 2016
      Waltz For Debbie
Apr 24th 2016
i literally just gasped
Apr 28th 2016
RE: Any fellow Bill Evans fanatics here? New unreleased music (swipe)
Apr 29th 2016
May 11th 2016
May 04th 2016
Thanks for this!
May 10th 2016
RE: Finally got this.
May 25th 2016

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Sun Apr-24-16 12:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "not a fanatic but I love the mans music more than most"
In response to Reply # 0

Is this available digitally bc I also love DeJohnette & Bills LP w/ Gomez that I have (Montreaux 3) is great iirc

C. Thelonius
825 posts
Sun Apr-24-16 06:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "yeah mos def. i know it's on itunes but beyond that i'm not sure n/m"
In response to Reply # 1

#NP: Janelle Monae-DC, Pusha T-Daytona, Royce-Book of Ryan, Blue Note All-Stars-OPOV, Chris Dave/Drumhedz-Glow, Conway-GOAT, Black Milk-Fever, KRIT-4eva Is a Mighty.., Phonte-NNIGN, August Greene, Jericho Jackson
@LargesseMorlu

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Sun Apr-24-16 01:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: I've become so disillusioned with Record Store Day."
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't even look at the list this year.

So, thanks for this heads up. I'll look into it.

"I wasn't sure if I was lost or running away again. . ."

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2016/269401

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Sun Apr-24-16 02:48 PM

3. "I need this"
In response to Reply # 0

listened to some tracks on soundcloud, sounded amazing as always

Bill Evans is a top 5-10 artist all time any genre for me, always happy to hear stuff I haven't heard

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Johnny
Charter member
4447 posts
Sun Apr-24-16 06:41 PM

4. "RE: I need this"
In response to Reply # 3

what are you favorite Bill Evans albums?

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Sun Apr-24-16 07:00 PM

6. "RE: I need this"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun Apr-24-16 07:07 PM by Kosa12

Even though this seems to be the default answer, those performances at the village vanguard really were next level, especially what Scott LaFaro (bass) was doing, so I'd say my favorites are probably: Sunday At The Village Vanguard and Waltz For Debby - both two of my favorite records of all time. This was definitely the best Evans Trio, the musicians just seem to be perfectly in synch.

but beyond those, Bill Evans has a ridiculous catalogue, and even though some may use this to detract from him, the fact that Bill Evan's never radically changed his style in terms of the TYPE of jazz - meaning he didn't make any forays into the avant garde,spiritual jazz, free jazz (he has actually been quoted as not enjoying Ornette Coleman's stuff at all), or even jazz fusion means that his discography is a goldmine for those that enjoy his style. I'd say some of my other favorites are:

Explorations
You Must Believe In Spring
Bill Evans at the Montreux Jazz Festival
The Paris Concerts
Moon Beams
How My Heart Sings
Alone

Another thing, in terms of hearing Bill Evans support a vocalist, his album with Monica Zetterlund (also titled Waltz For Debby) is very good, although most people seem to gravitate towards the Tony Bennet recordings more than anything - personally those records don't do much for me though.

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Johnny
Charter member
4447 posts
Thu Apr-28-16 05:22 PM

9. "RE: I need this"
In response to Reply # 6

thank you, i'll check these out

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Sun Apr-24-16 09:56 PM

7. "Waltz For Debbie "
In response to Reply # 4

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Thu Apr-28-16 04:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "i literally just gasped"
In response to Reply # 0

upping this for later consumption

bill evans is the god, god

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Apr-29-16 10:27 AM

10. "RE: Any fellow Bill Evans fanatics here? New unreleased music (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

Really looking forward to checking this out.

Related: Jack DeJohnette has several records coming out: one is new material with Ravi Coltrane and Matthew Garrison; another is a solo piano (!) set. I think I heard he has a previously unreleased set coming out from the '60s or '70s with him as leader, too, but I don't know any details on that one. So lots to look forward to on that front.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

C. Thelonius
825 posts
Wed May-11-16 12:32 AM

13. "RE: Any fellow Bill Evans fanatics here? New unreleased music (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 10

>Related: Jack DeJohnette has several records coming out: one
>is new material with Ravi Coltrane and Matthew Garrison;
>another is a solo piano (!) set.

Just heard about this the other day. I mos def want to check that out.

>I think I heard he has a
>previously unreleased set coming out from the '60s or '70s
>with him as leader, too, but I don't know any details on that
>one.

I had NO idea about this. I wonder if it's acoustic or more fusion, because I loved to hear more of his pre-fusion stuff. I think his legacy as a jazz musician is sold short, because he really didn't pop off until after Miles, and the jazz critics at the time dismissed him. But he is Top 4 jazz drummer for me (Williams, Philly Joe, and Elvin also, but don't ask me to rank).

@LargesseMorlu

milesd002
Member since Mar 10th 2003
315 posts
Wed May-04-16 02:18 PM

11. "RE: Any fellow Bill Evans fanatics here? New unreleased music (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice!! Thanks for the heads up!!

Nij
Charter member
1413 posts
Tue May-10-16 07:26 AM

12. "Thanks for this! "
In response to Reply # 0

I am definitely a Bill Evans fanatic! Haha! He's so ill with it.

Can't wait to listen.

Peace,

Nij

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed May-25-16 03:11 PM

14. "RE: Finally got this."
In response to Reply # 0

I've always loved the one official live album this trio put out (the Montreux disc), but have felt it was like a weird sidebar in Bill's trajectory, so this is a great release to fully flesh out and illustrate what more the band was capable of. The Montreux disc always seemed really intense to me for a Bill Evans album, but Some Other Time flips that vibe on its head, as it's hitting me as a really "happy" session for Bill. He sounds really carefree and at ease. Gomez is predictably solid and DeJohnette gives a really empathetic performance, providing different, more friendly shades and moods than on the Montreux disc. The title track is excellent and the early run-through of 'On Green Dolphin Street' (which would become one of Bill's early 70's staples) is totally ace.

Really great stuff; shame that it took this long for something else by this band (and furthermore, something so professionally recorded) to surface. It's here now though, and it's fantastic. So, hooray.

"I wasn't sure if I was lost or running away again. . ."

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2016/269401

Lobby The Lesson topic #2963486 Previous topic | Next topic