Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2959210

Subject: "James Brown & the Famous Flames @ the T.A.M.I. show " Previous topic | Next topic
SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 12:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"James Brown & the Famous Flames @ the T.A.M.I. show "
Fri Mar-11-16 12:08 PM by SoWhat

we need to appreciate this performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09qbhwcpA6A

as was recently said in that MJ is the 80s GOAT post, this performance is often cited as the greatest music performance in the history of TV. i'm not sure if i agree...

actually, yeah i am. i agree. i have the 'Please Please Please' performance running right now and DAMN, man. DAMN!!!

a bit of history about this performance (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.A.M.I._Show) - it was part of a 2 day concert featuring some of the hottest acts of 1964 - the Supremes, Rolling Stones, Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Chuck Berry, the Beach Boys among others. James was set to go on last but the Stones balked at that and insisted on closing the show. James said 'cool'. and so...well, he went on right before the Stones and absolutely destroyed the entire show. Keith Richards later said that was the biggest mistake in the Stones career b/c they couldn't top James Brown on stage. i've seen James' performance and the Stones' - Richards was right. the Stones' set was a let down after what James and the Flames did. i don't think any act could've followed that performance successfully. maybe Jesus and the Apostles walking on water? i dunno.

anyway, the performance is the bomb. of course, we can discuss other performances - maybe we'll agree James on TAMI ain't the best ever. i'm open to being convinced.

fuck you.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Thanks for this...I'd never seen this before.
Mar 11th 2016
i dunno that i've seen a TV audience get that riled up
Mar 11th 2016
Video Vibrations used to beat the "Night Train" portion of this
Mar 11th 2016
yup. i first saw 'Night Train' on Video Vibrations.
Mar 11th 2016
James' footwork in the beginning... I just.. can't.
Mar 11th 2016
ah ha!
Mar 11th 2016
And to put that in perspective, James was 31 at the time...
Mar 12th 2016
That is my 2 year old daughters favorite video....
Mar 11th 2016
the drumming on 'Prisoner of Love' is awesome.
Mar 11th 2016
      there are only 2 musical artists names my daughter knows
Mar 11th 2016
           Nice
Mar 11th 2016
Never get...
Mar 11th 2016
Mick Jagger said in the JB documentary...
Mar 11th 2016
no doubt JB slayed HIS audience.
Mar 11th 2016
the part where he comes out for the encore pulling up his pants
Mar 11th 2016
...same tape I've had for years n/m
Mar 13th 2016
RE: ...same tape I've had for years n/m
Mar 14th 2016
Essential viewing
Mar 13th 2016
Changed my life...
Mar 14th 2016

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 12:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Thanks for this...I'd never seen this before."
In response to Reply # 0

It's the stuff of legend. The type of things people talked about but have never seen or experienced. It's awesome.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 12:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i dunno that i've seen a TV audience get that riled up"
In response to Reply # 1

by a music performance. and they were mostly WHITE KIDS.

fuck you.

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 01:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Video Vibrations used to beat the "Night Train" portion of this"
In response to Reply # 0

I had that on video tape for YEARS.

I'm in the crowd that says this is the greatest tv performance ever

The whole thing is just frigging awesome.

Bottoms up....and the devil laughs..

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 03:08 PM

6. "yup. i first saw 'Night Train' on Video Vibrations."
In response to Reply # 3

fuck you.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 01:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "James' footwork in the beginning... I just.. can't. "
In response to Reply # 0

Seriously, how the fuck did he do that? Balancing all his weight on his right leg/foot, and still move across the stage? My brain has difficultly processing that.

The sheer stamina that had to be involved in that performance is mind-boggling in general. It is an extremely aerobic show, for everyone involved, and its executed flawlessly. These days some performer can't pace back and forth without getting winded, and James and the Flames are starting high energy, continue high energy, and still have energy to go buckwild to cap it off with "Night Train." They don't make artists like that anymore.

Yes, the performance was incredible. I'll go ahead and say it was the best I've ever seen.

Okay, now, regarding the Rolling Stones/who finishes up thing. That's kind of achieved urban legend status, and is apparently not completely true. They addressed it in the James HBO documentary that dropped a couple years ago. Yes, Rolling Stones went last. Yes, James was pissed that he wasn't the final act. But those T.A.M.I. performances weren't the type of concerts that we have these days. They'd bring an audience in, the group would perform, and then the group and the audience would leave. It was a whole new audience of screaming white kids for every group. So the idea that audience wasn't impressed with the Stones because they'd just seen James bring the house down isn't really true. Jagger does acknowledge that James did give a better performance though.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 03:10 PM

7. "ah ha!"
In response to Reply # 4

different audiences for each act. that makes sense.

watching the Stones perform w/o doing 'Satisfaction' (it was released the year after) i understood why their audience had such a tepid response to them but i also assumed they'd just had their minds blown by James and the Flames. LOL

fuck you.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14018 posts
Sat Mar-12-16 12:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "And to put that in perspective, James was 31 at the time..."
In response to Reply # 4
Sat Mar-12-16 12:17 AM by Boogie Stimuli

and this was even before he was Soul Brother #1/Godfather of Soul James.

>The sheer stamina that had to be involved in that performance
>is mind-boggling in general. It is an extremely aerobic show,
>for everyone involved, and its executed flawlessly. These days
>some performer can't pace back and forth without getting
>winded, and James and the Flames are starting high energy,
>continue high energy, and still have energy to go buckwild to
>cap it off with "Night Train." They don't make artists like
>that anymore.
>
>Yes, the performance was incredible. I'll go ahead and say it
>was the best I've ever seen.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 02:43 PM

5. "That is my 2 year old daughters favorite video...."
In response to Reply # 0

she comes in my office and says... "Daddy....James Brown?? James Brown??" During Please Please Please...she always cheers and claps when James gets up off the ground......

but yeah ... one of the most awesome recorded performances ever... it never gets old...

during Priosner of Love....when the Drums come in and James is lerching on the ground ..... just awesome stuff.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 03:11 PM

8. "the drumming on 'Prisoner of Love' is awesome."
In response to Reply # 5
Fri Mar-11-16 03:11 PM by SoWhat

and it's cute that your daughter appreciates this performance. LOL

she's probably the way i was about MJ's 'Billie Jean' performance on Motown 25. if i'd had access to a copy of that i'd have watched it over and over when i was a kid.

fuck you.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 04:12 PM

10. "there are only 2 musical artists names my daughter knows"
In response to Reply # 8

James Brown and Fela Kuti....

I'm going to wait a few more months to introduce her to P-funk....lol

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 06:21 PM

13. "Nice"
In response to Reply # 10

fuck you.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 03:23 PM

9. "Never get..."
In response to Reply # 0

....tired of this performance......James was a man possessed......Somewhere Mick Jagger was crying...

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 05:34 PM

11. "Mick Jagger said in the JB documentary..."
In response to Reply # 0

...that it was a film, and that the crowd for the Brown set was ushered out after his performance and a new crowd was brought in. But on the film you don't see that, so it looks like Brown killed. Either way, it still was an amazing performance.

https://digife.com

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 06:21 PM

12. "no doubt JB slayed HIS audience."
In response to Reply # 11

But the Stones had a different audience that allegedly wasn't exposed to the JB performance.

fuck you.

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18116 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 08:00 PM

14. "the part where he comes out for the encore pulling up his pants"
In response to Reply # 0

And doesn't miss a beat is pretty damn unbelievable. You couldn't tell me shit after seeing this on PBS back in the day.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sun Mar-13-16 05:50 PM

16. "...same tape I've had for years n/m "
In response to Reply # 0

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://thisisbooksmusic.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
http://i60.tinypic.com/a59mp3.jpg

drhodes777
Member since Jul 04th 2013
27 posts
Mon Mar-14-16 09:59 PM

19. "RE: ...same tape I've had for years n/m "
In response to Reply # 16

>see what you did there!
>THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
>http://thisisbooksmusic.wordpress.com
>http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
>http://www.facebook.com/book1
>
>
>http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
>http://i60.tinypic.com/a59mp3.jpg

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Sun Mar-13-16 06:23 PM

17. "Essential viewing"
In response to Reply # 0

the definition of "sick"

FUCK DONALD TRUMP

BootyGreen
Charter member
1410 posts
Mon Mar-14-16 02:45 PM

18. "Changed my life..."
In response to Reply # 0

First saw this (specifically, the "Please, Please, Please" performance) on a JB TV special when I was 10. I had never seen ANYTHING like it; the energy, the footwork, the soulful voice conjured up from the depths of his soul. A few years later, when I was 13, I copped the Star Time box set and my wig was further split. Back to the T.A.M.I. Show, JB's appearance on there was the greatest performance committed to film, hands down (for all the reasons listed above). I love MJ and Prince to death but, um, yeah, The Godfather was kicking ass and taking names here. And to think that today's dance artists rely on pre-recorded vocal tracks to cover up for being winded...please! King James shut it down.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2959210 Previous topic | Next topic