Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2958931

Subject: "Black Shoegaze Pioneers The Veldt" Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Tue Mar-08-16 11:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Black Shoegaze Pioneers The Veldt"

Twin brothers Daniel and Danny Chavis, who co-founded their rock band the Veldt in 1987, have shared their varied musical tastes since they were kids dwelling in North Carolina. Raised in Apollo Heights, a subdivision located in Raleigh, both boys sang in a Baptist church choir before becoming wayward teenagers in the early ‘80s. Future lead guitarist Danny began playing along to his granddaddy’s B.B. King records when he was thirteen while singing bro Daniel wailed soul songs in deep-wooded juke joints with the funky cover band Isis, performing funky hits by Slave, Rick James and Prince for a hard drinking audience.

However, with the mutual discovery of “shoegaze,” a sometimes dreamy, other times harsh, style of distorted feedback fueled guitar-laden rock music the boys heard booming from the college station WKNC, they began listening to the genres aural architects My Bloody Valentine, the Cocteau Twins, A.R. Kane and countless others. Loving the delirium and freedom heard in the music guided the brothers towards starting a band together. First calling themselves Psycho Daisies after a Yardbirds jam, they became the Veldt when Daniel recalled the title of a strange Ray Bradbury story he’d read in high school.

“I can remember seeing the name in these thick black letters and it just struck me,” Daniel says thirty-one years after the Veldt played their first gig at a hardcore show in the basement of a local church. “We didn’t call ourselves the Veldt immediately, but over time it eventually changed.”

As the Chavis boys began slipping further into the shoegaze wonderland, they also embraced the digital sampling techniques of Marley Marl and the Bomb Squad. Having joined musical forces with drummer Marvin Levi and bassist Joe Boyle, their music became more spacey and atmospheric. While their East Coast rocker friends from Living Colour and 24-7-Spyz were playing music with a harder edge, the Veldt strived for a sound that was, as critic Simon Reynolds once described A.R. Kane, all about, “daydream and distortion, rapture and ravaged.” However, no matter how avant-garde dada free jazz crazy their music became over the years, the twins always stayed true to their red dirt roots.

Although the Veldt’s soulfulness could sometimes be hard to hear within the shoegaze trappings of blaring guitars, floods of feedback and a kaleidoscopic collage of eerie electric sounds, the juxtaposition of the band’s spooky auralscapes with Daniel’s splendid voice conjured quick-cut images of post-soul along with those chitlin’ circuit venues where he once crooned like a moonshine gulping Teddy Pendergrass. No matter how futuristic space-age cyberpunk the music became, Daniel’s vocals was the gravity that kept us from floating away completely.

After a few years of practicing, performing and perfecting their sound, the Veldt signed with Capitol Records in 1989. According to a MTV profile of the Veldt on 120 Minutes the following year, the band had “the big time stamped all over them.”

http://www.soulhead.com/2016/03/08/rediscovering-veldts-afrodisiac-album-michael-gonzales-sleptonsoul

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
They are so thorough.....I kept crossing paths with them
Mar 08th 2016
RE: They are so thorough.....I kept crossing paths with them
Mar 08th 2016
      yeah, that show, they lit that place up
Mar 08th 2016
Thanks!
Mar 09th 2016
I'm seeing them in concert May 9th at Webster Hall
May 02nd 2016
Love at first hate - 1998
May 02nd 2016

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Tue Mar-08-16 02:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "They are so thorough.....I kept crossing paths with them"
In response to Reply # 0

I was at Tower Records in the village in the early 90's when "Afrodiasic" was about to be released and I saw a stage being set up in the store for a performance.

So I saw one of the brothers with an acoustic guitar. I asked him who was about to play. He said The Veldt. I started singing "where do we go from here? where do we go from hereeeeeeeeeeeeee?" the hook from the Veldt song "Tinsel town" that I knew from the "Strange vibrations from the Hardcore" Black Rock Coalition radio show playing that song enough for me to be a fan of it.

They were like "where do you know us from?" I told them about the radio show. They were like, "oh, yeah, that." They were doing an acoustic show so I don't think I stuck around.

The next time I came across them when I went to a show in 1996 I was supposed to be going there with Cammile Goodison, a writer who worked on the Black Rock Coalition magazine "Ravers" the issue after the one I worked on (but Cammile couldn't go for some reason). I was pretty unhappy but when the Veldt came on, whoa, I didn't expect to be blown away like that.

mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Tue Mar-08-16 08:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: They are so thorough.....I kept crossing paths with them"
In response to Reply # 1

Great story...

c71
13962 posts
Tue Mar-08-16 08:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "yeah, that show, they lit that place up"
In response to Reply # 2

yes

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Wed Mar-09-16 10:35 AM

4. "Thanks!"
In response to Reply # 0

FUCK DONALD TRUMP

Brother Rabbit
Member since Oct 31st 2007
1617 posts
Mon May-02-16 08:18 AM

5. "I'm seeing them in concert May 9th at Webster Hall"
In response to Reply # 0

They're opening for The Brian Jonestown Massacre.

I love their new EP "The Shocking Fuzz of Your Electric Fur: The Drake Equation", can't wait to see them perform.

They're bureaucrats! I don't respect them.(c)Rick Sanchez

c71
13962 posts
Mon May-02-16 08:35 AM

6. "Love at first hate - 1998"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon May-02-16 08:41 AM by c71

they made a couple of albums (one under the name Apollo Heights) but "love at first hate" is on-point.

here's one of the better songs off of it (one of the few songs on that album that is on youtube)

Sad cabaret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UO8TYjcApQ

Lobby The Lesson topic #2958931 Previous topic | Next topic