Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2956600

Subject: "2016 Might be the Pinnacle year for Absurdity in Hip Hop" Previous topic | Next topic
Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40925 posts
Wed Feb-10-16 01:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"2016 Might be the Pinnacle year for Absurdity in Hip Hop"

Aloha All.

I guess this is part 3 of this thread, even though literally NOBODY responded to the second one.

It's only February and already this year is shaping up to be a hilarisad year for our Beloved Rap music.

Let's start with the ongoing Wu Tang Clan Vs Martin Shkreli feud:

So after failing to really capture the public's attention with their (criminally underrated) 2014 album A BETTER TOMORROW, The Clan decided to try to make a few bucks by creating an album of unheard material and then announcing they would auction the only copy in existence to the highest bidder!

A novel and ambitious plan to be honest, however it took an unfortunate turn when the winning bid ended up being from an Attention starved, man-child Millionaire whose entire business model/public persona is based on acting like a Marvel Comics Supervillian. As an encore to raising the price of a vital AIDS medicine by a couple hundred percent, Shkreli upped the dickishness by bragging about not actually listening to the one of a kind album he spent 2 million dollars on and then went on the radio threatening to slap Ghostface Killah (AKA Tony Starks/Iron Man)

Much like his Comic book alter-ego, Ghostface showed some media/tech savvy and decides to forgo making a dis track and instead opts to make a 12 minute response video in which he employs his Sister and Mama to act as his hype men
(No seriously, PLEASE watch this shit, like every frame is full of delicious WTF-ery https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJGKtEwomE)

This feud remains ongoing and oddly enough has brought the Clan more attention and relevancy than all of their musical endeavors in the past decade combined. At this point, the loyal Wu Fan base's only hope of hearing this collection is if the Wu-Tang Clan and Bill Murray can team up and concoct a brilliant master plan to hijack the album.

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
help me out
Feb 10th 2016
People are actually TALKING about the Wu again
Feb 10th 2016
No underrating for "A Better Tomorrow." That album sucked.
Feb 10th 2016
I was one of about 14 people who liked it apparently
Feb 10th 2016
album was straight ass
Feb 10th 2016
      nah that's crazy. I agree some songs should not have got on there
Feb 10th 2016
So, in related Shkreli/hip-hop related absurdity...
Feb 11th 2016
B.O.B Versus Neil Degrasse Tyson/Christopher Columbus
Jun 22nd 2016
This may be the single dumbest thing to ever happen in hip hop
Jun 23rd 2016
      Gucci. Gucci is still a cut tho!
Jun 23rd 2016
i thought RZA was mostly behind the Wu selling that album.
Jun 22nd 2016
Ghost to helm next Wu album
Jun 23rd 2016

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Feb-10-16 01:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "help me out"
In response to Reply # 0

>This feud remains ongoing and oddly enough has brought the
>Clan more attention and relevancy than all of their musical
>endeavors in the past decade combined.

do you really mean that?

also, in your mind is there a difference between "relevancy" and "infamy" and if so, what is it?

Adwhizz
40925 posts
Wed Feb-10-16 02:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "People are actually TALKING about the Wu again"
In response to Reply # 1

They've put out a number of really strong projects over this time frame, but most people didn't really care.

The sheer bizarreness of this situation is succeeding in getting them positive attention if for no other reason than the fact they're at odds with one of the most hated dudes in the country right now.

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed Feb-10-16 02:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "No underrating for "A Better Tomorrow." That album sucked."
In response to Reply # 0

Since 1976

Adwhizz
40925 posts
Wed Feb-10-16 04:46 PM

4. "I was one of about 14 people who liked it apparently"
In response to Reply # 3

Not sure what people were looking for on a 2014 Wu Tang record but I thought it had its high points

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed Feb-10-16 04:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "album was straight ass"
In response to Reply # 3

Maybe two cuts

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Errol Walton Barrow
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
6186 posts
Wed Feb-10-16 05:30 PM

6. "nah that's crazy. I agree some songs should not have got on there"
In response to Reply # 5

and have blemished the whole record as a result, the main offenders being "Miracle" and "A preachers daughter", and the tracks they released "keep watch" and the title track were kinda ho hum,but there are more than two good songs on that album.

Keeping those songs on though really slows the album down in the middle.

The real slept on album of theirs tho is 8 diagrams, which is better than this one.

-------
http://adevotedappraisal.tumblr.com - Essays, reviews, short stories and free writes on music, film and life around us.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44709 posts
Thu Feb-11-16 06:46 PM

7. "So, in related Shkreli/hip-hop related absurdity..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-11-16 06:46 PM by mrhood75

...he just offered Kanye $10 million to release his album solely to him.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/martin-shkreli-offers-kanye-west-10-million-for-his-new-albu#.eqYaBWX0n

You'd think he'd have better shit to do than this.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Adwhizz
40925 posts
Wed Jun-22-16 06:04 PM

8. "B.O.B Versus Neil Degrasse Tyson/Christopher Columbus"
In response to Reply # 0

On the one hand it's nice to see a Rap beef based on Science instead of some trifling matter such as jewelry or someone not getting dapped up at an industry party. But then again it's kinda sad the science debate in question is something that's been decided since at least 1492

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCA8HofWsxc

The Pop Rapper who's first big hit was Airplanes has seemingly never actually BEEN in an airplane or else he wouldn't be dropping songs like this.

In response to this Tyson enlisted some random dude to clap back while riding Drake's flow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-VDrD1CBXU

And while this no-name did a good enough job answering back, I think we were all wishing Neil would have gotten his OTHER rapper friend to respond:

http://startalkradio.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Neil-and-GZA-by-David-Gamble.jpg

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44709 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 10:07 AM

11. "This may be the single dumbest thing to ever happen in hip hop"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu Jun-23-16 10:08 AM by mrhood75

The thankfully brief Kreayshawn/V-Nasty/White Girl Mob thing was really stupid, but least no one was arguing against, I don't know, all of science and common sense.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Adwhizz
40925 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 08:45 PM

12. "Gucci. Gucci is still a cut tho!"
In response to Reply # 11

I remember last year I was driving through Baltimore and the DJ was hype as shit about playing a new V-nasty song, I was flabbergasted

blackfoot_female
Member since Jul 15th 2002
967 posts
Wed Jun-22-16 08:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "i thought RZA was mostly behind the Wu selling that album."
In response to Reply # 0

i know method man and ghostface spoke out on how dumb it was.

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 02:36 AM

10. "Ghost to helm next Wu album"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.thefader.com/2016/06/22/ghostface-killah-rza-direct-wu-tang-album

Lobby The Lesson topic #2956600 Previous topic | Next topic