Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2956569

Subject: "71 of Questlove's favorite Dilla moments (Feb 11, 2006)" Previous topic | Next topic
dEs
Member since Sep 01st 2006
34879 posts
Tue Feb-09-16 08:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"71 of Questlove's favorite Dilla moments (Feb 11, 2006)"

a day after Jay Dee died, Quest listed 71 of his favorite
Dilla moments on Myspace. In my desire to preserve such contributions
and my fanatic love for Dilla, I saved the html file. 10 years later,
I share it with the community that helped me cope with the passing of
my favorite producer.

screenshot: https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1652/24300470273_3c8f630344_o.png

Saturday, February 11, 2006

blog 36: J Dilla Lives (update 2/25/06)
Current mood: thoughtful

1. the kicks on pharcyde's "Bullshit"
2. the piano loop on pharcyde's "Runnin"
3. the chopping of herbie hancock's chords on "fantastic pt 1"
4. the whole idea of "i don't know"
5. those chords on "fat cat song" mixed with "turn off the lights" "oohs ahhs and say!"
6. the synchopated stutter kicks he programmed t3's "when you grip the mic biy you wack as hell..."
7. the background pattern on "the look of love"
8. the bill evans rhodes on "hoc and pocky"
9. the drum pattern sloppppppily displayed mastery on "beej n dem"
10.the clever use of "....(glasses clank) ....friday the 13th....." on beej en dem
11.the chopping of "fly like an eagle" on "Fantastic 2"
12. synchopated use of words as percussion on "fantastic 2 and 3"
13. the odd count pattern on "fantastic 3"
14. manipulating the unlimited singers "claire" to say "players"
15. the chord structure of "Pregnant"
16. the rhyme pattern of "things u do" (remix) and
17 the mangling of "jonez in my bonz" for "things you do" remix
18.the use of the floor tom in "hold tight"
19.HIM LETTING ME DRUM ON "TELL ME" LOL
20.marrying al b's "night and day"/"fly like an eagle"
21. the "is it all over my face" drums on "forth and back"
22.FALL IN LOVE is in my top 10 songs of all time.
23 Get Dis Money is in top 100 of all time
24.Raise it Up's marriage of Clinton (Drums) and Synth (daft punk)
25.the Kalimba in "Once Upon a Time"
26.His mangling of "Jonez In My Bones" and grabbing the "she's always in my hair" drums which is IMPOSSIBLE
27.Cb4's congos and choked cymbal work
28.Go Ladies flip of "holding you and loving you"
29. the kickwork on "Get Together"
30. the drunk programing on tribe's "wordplay"
31. the nerve of him freaking the carpenters on "straight boss hog"
32. the "just drunk enough to work" cat and mouse chase of the snare and kick on "fly girl" (send one of your love) mix
33. turning that song from anthrax (some live song) and turning it into the "long red" break on the "beej en em" remix.
34. his fake ass modesty when i told him his use of roy ayers "love from the sun" in slum's "the worlds full of sadness" was the ultimate. he shrugged and took it off Fantastic Vol 2 and replaced it with "Fall in Love"
35. Turning Sly's "in TIme" into an intense funk workout on "stupid ass lies"
36. the "winter challenge" when he made me pick a "useless" record and his gurantee that he would make a miracle out of it. the record: "give it to me baby" rick james, the freak: slowed the intro down and manipulated it into what later became: common's "doin it".
37. finding that loop (tony allen "aisko") for common's "heat"--and rash never ever finding the one.
38.Me telling you and com how much i thought "the light" was not "exciting enough!" and dilla could do something "a little better" (lol)....and yall STILL finished that song behind my back. (lol!!!!!!!!!!)
39.taking "Funky For You" and showing me how any 4/4 song can now be freaked in 12/8 meter.
40.the extended version of "Time Traveling". how i thought pino was playing bass and to my surprise when i left the drum booth james was on organ, d was on triton, melena was on percussion (she was in town with macy gray), roy was on trumpet, and pino was eating his food!!!! YOU played bass!!!!!!
41.of course "a film called pimp" was funky....but the magic was in the bill summers interlude that followed that i saw you freak.
42. you not getting mad at me when i took "afrodisiac" reels and reversed em so that jef lee johnson could do all that backwards stuff.
43. you, d and james adding the last burst of climax on that same song in the last :06 seconds with the most visual arpeggio bloom i've heard in my then 29 years. that right there was the most touching finish of any song i ever worked on.
44.you taking gil scott heron's udetetectable piano loop and turning it into "thelonius"---to this day i dont know how you heard that loop in your head. cause to hear it on Gil's album i woulda NEVER thought to freak it like that.
45. your homemade "time compression" trick for ensuring that "the payback" would be in the same key and rhythm as the key to "payback is a grandmother". being the pathetic peon of an executive producer i was i told com and you on the phone that "idea cant work cause the notes wont match"....you never once told me "NIGGA SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! DONT YOU KNOW THAT I AM YOUR GOD?!?!?!?"
46. the swirl of a circus sound in the chorus of "certified" on guru's joint.
47. the bass drag on bilal's "reminisce"
48. you cloning primo to the bone on phat kats "dedication to the suckers"
49.the first 10 seconds (with "flub flub flub Love luh luh ") part on "microphone master"--not to mention that guitar loop is killer.
50. my FAVorite loop of yours: "Don't Nobody Care About Us" phat kat
51. the use of marvin's HISSSHHSHISSSH out of the word "sister" in common's "love is"
51. the interlude from that animated cartoon that gave us Jaylib's "the stars"
52. the snaps on that "Your Shitting On My Name Girl" are your best snaps ever.
53. the moog action on Busta's "Turn Me Up Some"
54. You manglin the shiiiiit outta Andy Lore's "Mixed Drums" bassline on that "UUH!" demo.
55. My favorite "Look Of Love" flip was the Dizzy Gillespie one ("duh dooo....doo-doo")
56. The Bill Summers flip you gave us for Com's "Pimp" song was sooooo what the doctor ordered...and when i told you "this is too good to waste for just a 23 second interlude"....you laughed and shrugged like..."oh i got others" touche nigga....you did.
57. remember the french horn loop you originally made for Com's "funky for you"?---but you still added that sample to the updated version that wound up on the album? i still love the shit outta that original demo.
58. i sooooo wanted to come outta my rapping retirement and spit over that "suppose shit never takes me by the hand....suppose i never find that promise land" joint. and your friggin ass only put it on our beat tape for 15 seconds. ass! lol.
59. you made Toshi's "nothing but your love" in an hour...ran to the detroit music festival---and let me hear what you did to my original. made my version sound like utter shit.--you and frank all day kept mocking his japanese soul-lib ("rwell...rwell..rwwwweeeell"---that was the funniest shit ever)
60. i've had that gentle giant album for eons and never heard that "Look at my Friends" loop.
61. ...and speaking of which...how did you get the patience to catch roger's "do you really want to hear my max-xass baby?"
62. the 3 layered kicked programming on "Raw Addict" just might be better than "Wordplay".
63. curtis mayfield grunting and exhaling on "we must be in love" is so fucking clever. that is the only way you can hear how you chopped the shit outta it.
64. your love is good almost made pino shed a tear. how you flipped that bass is a fucking miracle. NO ONE can channel the ghost of jamerson programming like you did.
65.....speaking of curtis...that "can't you see....." shit. man. (shakes head)
66. tariq thought you were giving him his own personal anthem for "history" ("it's tariq")....again just like "we must be in love" and "love is" this new method of catching singers inhale and exhaling is some amazing shit (from "history" to "hi--ss--to--ry" to "sssstreee" to "ss-sss-ss "ree"
67. the night i played dangelo "a bad situation for dangleo he coulda sworn that was an omen for you. i mean he had dreams about it and everything. said he couldn't listen to it cause it haunted him just like "heard it through the grapevine"---i wasn't all that scared cause AGAIN....you chopping up words and shit with this pause tape grunt exhale style.
68. what the hell wuz you thinking on "dollar circulate" (yeyeyeyeyeyeyeeeyeyeyeyeeeeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeeeyeyeyeyeeeyeeeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeeyeyeyeyeeeeyeeee-ahyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeye)
69. the gunshot "a marvelous bunch of niggers" scene from spook/door that leads into that deranged house beat. wins EVERYTIME i play it in the club. and that hi hat stutter shit is perfecto!.
70. how in the hell were you able to make a clear breakbeat out of james brown's "my thing" when james was talking ALL OVER THAT SHIT?!?!?? who has the patience to count milla seconds and program that shit? who!?!? everybody i play that break for knows its IMPOSSIBLE to find open space on that joint ("FELLAAS?! YEAAAAH! "A BRAND NEW FUNK!"....TELL US ABOUT IT "A BRAND NEW FUNK" ALLLRAIGHT "THIS THE WAY YOU DO IT...WALK UP AND RAP DO IT....PUT YOUR HAND ON HER LOWER LEFT ARM....") okay for those that don't get it? see that dialouge above? see the space of blue in between each letter? well he gathered up about what sounds like 60 trilla seconds (the space in between the letters of the "FELLAS?!? YEAAAAH" dialogue and made a break out of it. why? because he wanted to let us know that even in a hospital bed he can STILL out think us.
71. the playcount for the dancin machine "Move" (aka make michael throw up) beat on my itunes is still number one at 759 plays. that should say it right there.

these are songs that built my career.

more to come.

_____

shann.email/inbox.pls.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
this was great
Feb 09th 2016
Great post
Feb 09th 2016
Now I'd like to listen to every one of these songs.
Feb 09th 2016
Also it's wild how fucking OLD that website looks.
Feb 09th 2016
RE: Now I'd like to listen to every one of these songs.
Feb 11th 2016
RE: 71 of Questlove's favorite Dilla moments (Feb 11, 2006)
Feb 09th 2016
thanks. I remember reading that.
Feb 10th 2016
yo, this is awesome
Feb 10th 2016
THANK YOU!!! ?'s myspace blog was the shit
Feb 10th 2016
lol @ #24
Feb 10th 2016
RE: lol @ #24
Feb 10th 2016
      ah, recursive sampling
Feb 11th 2016
           i asked him bout this. he meta jacked it.
Feb 13th 2016
thanks for sharing
Feb 10th 2016
Is #2 a mistake or am I totally missing something?Piano Loop?
Feb 11th 2016
Stuff like this reminds me why his passing was so tough...
Feb 11th 2016
Beat CD '05 #3
Feb 11th 2016
      oops, meant to reply below
Feb 12th 2016
Can someone school me on #70. Where is the new break used?
Feb 11th 2016
It was off beat cd 05 #3...
Feb 12th 2016
      oh. ok. cool. Good Lookin.
Feb 12th 2016
hold up
Feb 13th 2016
Meanwhile..........
Feb 15th 2016
bredren..
Feb 16th 2016
I need some time to go over all of these
Feb 16th 2016

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Tue Feb-09-16 09:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "this was great"
In response to Reply # 0

thanks

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Feb-09-16 09:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Great post"
In response to Reply # 0

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Feb-09-16 09:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Now I'd like to listen to every one of these songs. "
In response to Reply # 0

Also I went thru the whole list waiting for #71 because I distinctly remember reading ?uest raving about the "making Michael throw up" thing on "Move," which was already on repeat for months after The Renaissance dropped but that took it to a whole new level.

Anyway that was great to read. Thanks.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Feb-09-16 09:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Also it's wild how fucking OLD that website looks. "
In response to Reply # 3

2006 wasn't *that* long ago was it. Holy shit.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Thu Feb-11-16 11:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "RE: Now I'd like to listen to every one of these songs. "
In response to Reply # 3

FunkSoulBrother
Member since Feb 10th 2004
487 posts
Tue Feb-09-16 10:48 PM

5. "RE: 71 of Questlove's favorite Dilla moments (Feb 11, 2006)"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for sharing this! That old MySpace blog had gems for days.

Here's another fantastic write-up from ?uestlove circa 2007 about how Kanye West's production on Common's "Finding Forever" album was influenced by Dilla: http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2838623&mesg_id=2838623

dEs
Member since Sep 01st 2006
34879 posts
Wed Feb-10-16 07:22 PM

9. "thanks. I remember reading that."
In response to Reply # 5

and think of quest's story whenever I hear Spaceship

_____

shann.email/inbox.pls.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Wed Feb-10-16 01:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "yo, this is awesome"
In response to Reply # 0

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Wed Feb-10-16 01:08 PM

7. "THANK YOU!!! ?'s myspace blog was the shit"
In response to Reply # 0

I was so disappointed that Myspace didnt really preserve any data like that.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Feb-10-16 01:10 PM

8. "lol @ #24"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-10-16 01:17 PM by Dr Claw

I heard that Bangalter record in the weeks or so leading into Dilla's passing and remarked here that I kind of thought it was as dry as the title implied and Dilla turned it into some "gangsta Nintendo music"

?uest's #36 is my #1. Donwill mentioned that on the boards, I was like "BULLLLLLLLSHIT!!!" pulled out the Common 12" and listened to the instrumental

that was the day that I converted to the Church of Dilla

not mentioned here: 2 of my favorite Dilla moments came on the first SV album

"5 Ela (Remix)" - best use of Patrice Rushen's "You Remind Me" to date

"Give This Nigga" - Dilla flipped my FAVORITE Zapp song... I must have played that 86 times in one day (no lie)

PCProductions
Member since Oct 31st 2009
1217 posts
Wed Feb-10-16 09:24 PM

11. "RE: lol @ #24"
In response to Reply # 8

>"5 Ela (Remix)" - best use of Patrice Rushen's "You Remind Me"
>to date

Fun fact, it's actually a sample of Junior Mafia's I Need You Tonight.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Feb-11-16 04:24 PM

17. "ah, recursive sampling"
In response to Reply # 11

that song samples the Rushen song, and Dilla sampled that one

wasn't familiar

Member since Mar 01st 2005
9915 posts
Sat Feb-13-16 04:09 PM

22. "i asked him bout this. he meta jacked it."
In response to Reply # 17

sample mafia sampling patrice lol
NOTHING was off limits

NO! LIST
Tom Petty
M J
Zeppelin
Springsteen
Neil Young
Eagles
Ray Charles
Madonna
Chuck Berry
South Park TV Songs
Justin Timberlake
"Food Glorious Food"
"Twilight Zone" theme
"A Boy Named Sue"
"Night Moves"
"The Situation"
"Superbowl Shuffle"

Johnny
Charter member
4447 posts
Wed Feb-10-16 08:57 PM

10. "thanks for sharing"
In response to Reply # 0

appreciate it

HIM
Member since May 20th 2002
1733 posts
Thu Feb-11-16 09:04 AM

12. "Is #2 a mistake or am I totally missing something?Piano Loop?"
In response to Reply # 0

peace
HIM
www.PlazaMelodic.com
"Lo-Fi Holiday" Now Available!!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lo-fi-holiday/id985794237
https://plazamelodic.bandcamp.com/album/lo-fi-holiday
http://soundcloud.com/beatroom88

self_ish
Charter member
2117 posts
Thu Feb-11-16 09:26 AM

13. "Stuff like this reminds me why his passing was so tough..."
In response to Reply # 0

?uest references so many instances/moments that were created during Jay's last year or so. He was still innovating at such a high level, then he was just...gone. This is why his death touched me deeper than any other artist that I can think of. Just on a selfish, music lover level, I feel like the World was robbed.

But anyway, thanks for the share! Great read!

==================================================================
Them That Do... produced by Small Professor, out now via HiPNOTT Records. Featuring Georgia Anne Muldrow, Muhsinah, John Robinson (Scienz of Life, King Geedorah), Yamin Semali, Jahdan Blakkamoore, Soia, Miles Bonny, and more:
https://hipnottrecords.bandcamp.com/album/them-that-do

https://soundcloud.com/jasper_brown
https://jasperbrown.bandcamp.com/album/the-purge-an-original-score-2

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Thu Feb-11-16 02:21 PM

16. "Beat CD '05 #3"
In response to Reply # 13

i think, or so says the google.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Fri Feb-12-16 06:01 AM

19. "oops, meant to reply below"
In response to Reply # 16

>i think, or so says the google.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

HIM
1733 posts
Thu Feb-11-16 01:57 PM

15. "Can someone school me on #70. Where is the new break used?"
In response to Reply # 0

peace
HIM
www.PlazaMelodic.com

ob1 kenobi
Member since Sep 11th 2003
4306 posts
Fri Feb-12-16 02:07 AM

18. "It was off beat cd 05 #3..."
In response to Reply # 15

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwcye-U3QGc&time_continue=29&ebc=ANyPxKp2SFwKbO8QaukteYNhXv6T6ZU_6xfj9k6aeUAhg8-laXGSot7ezNGvzYvGBhVYztqJCGOWlK3WR9x36JMTol6gfRXdvQ

"...You didn't do the knowledge what the God was manifestin'..."

HIM
1733 posts
Fri Feb-12-16 09:20 AM

20. "oh. ok. cool. Good Lookin. "
In response to Reply # 18

peace
HIM
www.PlazaMelodic.com

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Sat Feb-13-16 04:05 PM

21. "hold up"
In response to Reply # 0

...he did that "brand new funk" beat tape joint when he was sick, too? ajhkkhajakja

jp
Charter member
3893 posts
Mon Feb-15-16 11:34 PM

23. "Meanwhile.........."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm still tryna find the piano chops for Com's "Dooinit"! Shit is just ridiculously ill!

CB_010
Member since Mar 01st 2006
725 posts
Tue Feb-16-16 06:51 AM

24. "bredren.."
In response to Reply # 23

im trying to find the bassnotes he chopped for Bilal's Reminisce

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Tue Feb-16-16 10:16 AM

25. "I need some time to go over all of these"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-16-16 10:16 AM by makaveli

this is awesome.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Lobby The Lesson topic #2956569 Previous topic | Next topic