Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2954856

Subject: "A Closer Listen to Bowie: Introduction" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 07:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"A Closer Listen to Bowie: Introduction"

“Guess I’ll put all my eggs in a postmodern song”

As Bowie’s death continues to ripple out and through us, even as we learn to live with and love his latest and last album, I thought it might be worthwhile to take a step back, take a deep breath, and dive into the music. Because although Bowie was many things throughout his life - performance artist, actor, fashion provocateur, wordsmith, often all at once - he chose music as the primary medium through which he accomplished his art. One can lose sight of the music sometimes, be distracted by the personae and the mythologies and the symbolism, all important parts of the constellation of Bowie. But the music and lyrics are there, and the music moves even if you don’t know the narrative arc of Ziggy or the imagined landscape of Diamond Dogs, even if you have not seen the man flanked by Klaus Nomi and Joey Arias, or posing with William S. Burroughs, or so on, and so on… regardless of everything else, the music is there and it’s really, really good.

So beginning next week, I’ll be listening to Bowie’s discography chronologically and posting some thoughts along the way. Hopefully you’ll join in. Although the goal is to really get into the music, to pull it apart and piece it back together again, the music was and is bound up with everything else that comes with Bowie, so really any commentary is good commentary.

He dropped some 27 studio albums over the course of his career. We’ll do a few each week and just let this play out for a month or two. Hopefully we’ll get through it all. Not sure whether it’s better to just post within this thread (a new line for each album) or to start a fresh thread for each week. If you guys have any ideas or anything you want to do with these posts, let me know. I’m trying to get the ball rolling, but hopefully it’s a community endeavor.

I haven’t planned it all out, but the first few weeks will probably look like this:
1) David Bowie/Space Oddity/The Man Who Sold the World/Hunky Dory
2) Ziggy/Aladdin Sane/Pin Ups
3) Diamond Dogs/Young Americans/Station to Station
4) The Berlin Trilogy

So fire up your streaming services or pull out those CDs and records and get to listening. We’re heading out into musical interstellar space… I’ll get it all going first thing next week.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Awesome
Jan 20th 2016
I'm here for this..
Jan 20th 2016
Dope. Really dope.
Jan 20th 2016
can't wait!
Jan 20th 2016
I support this post....
Jan 20th 2016
thank you!!
Jan 20th 2016
Second
Jan 20th 2016
agreed
Jan 20th 2016
great to see all the interest in this
Jan 21st 2016
Present!
Jan 21st 2016
RE: Quite.
Jan 22nd 2016
here for this.
Jan 22nd 2016
YES!!!!
Jan 23rd 2016
listening to self-titled for first time now..
Jan 23rd 2016
"David Bowie" (#1)
Jan 26th 2016
Some thoughts....
Feb 11th 2016
RE: Some thoughts....
Feb 12th 2016
RE: "David Bowie" (#1)
Feb 12th 2016
David Bowie #2 (Space Oddity)
Jan 26th 2016
RE: A sprawling, orchestral swirl of blues, folk and rock.
Jan 26th 2016
A great album
Jan 27th 2016
"The Man Who Sold the World"
Jan 26th 2016
RE: Mick Ronson is in the house!
Jan 26th 2016
The beginning of his prime
Jan 27th 2016
"Hunky Dory"
Jan 26th 2016
RE: Bowie's singer/songwriter album.
Jan 26th 2016
RE: Bowie's singer/songwriter album.
Feb 12th 2016
      Good place to drop this vid
Feb 14th 2016
Great piano - great album
Jan 27th 2016
My favorite Bowie album
Feb 12th 2016
Is there a Hunky Dory >>> contingent?
Feb 12th 2016
      Me for sure
Feb 14th 2016
RE: "Hunky Dory"
Feb 12th 2016
up
Feb 04th 2016
no problem man
Feb 04th 2016
This is such a dope idea
Feb 12th 2016
RE: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
Aug 04th 2016
time takes a cigarette
Aug 04th 2016
keep this up please. great idea
Aug 04th 2016
RE: Aladdin Sane
Aug 04th 2016
RE: Pin Ups
Aug 04th 2016
RE: Diamond Dogs
Aug 05th 2016
RE: Young Americans
Aug 05th 2016
It's telling that even on an underwhelming album by his standards
Aug 06th 2016
RE: Station to Station
Aug 05th 2016

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 10:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Awesome"
In response to Reply # 0

I started his discography last week again, will be interested hearing yours and others thoughts on the individual albums.

201cue
Member since Jan 04th 2007
2204 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 12:52 PM

2. "I'm here for this.."
In response to Reply # 0

..great post

--------------------------------------
I ain't NEVER seen a hungry, happy muthaf*cka!

Heavy Ro'
Jay Rock - Redemption
Roc Marci - RR2
Travis Scott - Astroworld
Taz Arnold - rAd americA

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44718 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 01:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Dope. Really dope."
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 01:23 PM

4. "can't wait! "
In response to Reply # 0

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 02:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I support this post...."
In response to Reply # 0

100 percent plus some spare change.......

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

latenitemix
Charter member
51255 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 03:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "thank you!!"
In response to Reply # 0

i would suggest keeping everything in one post for reference purposes. it'll be easier to go back to one post for everything as opposed to searching for several different ones.

______
gnap.

201cue
2204 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 04:16 PM

7. "Second"
In response to Reply # 6

>i would suggest keeping everything in one post for reference
>purposes. it'll be easier to go back to one post for
>everything as opposed to searching for several different
>ones.
>
>

Heavy Ro'
Jay Rock - Redemption
Roc Marci - RR2
Taz Arnold - rAd americA

Kosa12
4988 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 05:32 PM

8. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 6

----------

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Thu Jan-21-16 07:44 AM

9. "great to see all the interest in this"
In response to Reply # 0

Will be gathering some links and whatnot for folks over the next day or two; will post them here. Remember when people used to make fansites to try and gather and index stuff about their favorite artists, rather than just tweet a link and call it a day? (We are far too cool for that now.) Some fansites to poke around in, many of them showing their age but working just fine:

http://www.bowiewonderworld.com/

http://www.teenagewildlife.com/

http://davidbowienews.com/

http://www.algonet.se/~bassman/articles/index.html (this one has a pretty substantial set of duplicated articles and interviews for good reading)

-thebigfunk

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Thu Jan-21-16 10:46 AM

10. "Present!"
In response to Reply # 0

FUCK DONALD TRUMP

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Fri Jan-22-16 06:05 PM

11. "RE: Quite."
In response to Reply # 0

"I wasn't sure if I was lost or running away again. . ."

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2016/269401

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Fri Jan-22-16 07:15 PM

12. "here for this."
In response to Reply # 0

diving back in to first set of these over the weekend.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1855 posts
Sat Jan-23-16 02:14 AM

13. "YES!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Young Americans and Station to Station are constants in my rotation so I'm down. I'll be interested to see how this goes once it gets into his really underappreciated 90's stuff.

Robert
Charter member
4117 posts
Sat Jan-23-16 10:52 AM

14. "listening to self-titled for first time now.."
In response to Reply # 0

pretty wild to hear these songs and think this dude is gonna record a track like "Fame" just 7 years later, while a band like pearl jam flogs the same shit for 25 years

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 12:19 PM

15. ""David Bowie" (#1)"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm actually busy trying to meet a work deadline right now so I don't have anything put together yet for this project. But I thought I would go ahead and make subject headers for the first few albums. Throw up some thoughts when you have time to listen and jot a few things down.

Note: both of Bowie's first albums were technically self-titled, but the second one is often referred to as "Space Oddity." Be alert!

Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bowie_(1967_album)

Looking forward to talking about this one a lot, actually, but hopefully someone will get it started.

-thebigfunk

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8750 posts
Thu Feb-11-16 10:11 PM

27. "Some thoughts...."
In response to Reply # 15
Thu Feb-11-16 10:21 PM by obsidianchrysalis

1. Uncle Arthur - Kind of a funny, cheeky story about a man finding a gay lover.

2. Sell Me a Coat - Strong melody and a strong performance vocally by Bowie. One of my favorite songs on the album.

3. Rubber Band - Similar in structure to Uncle Arthur. Sounds Beatlesque.

4. Love You 'Til Tuesday - Nice intro. Didn't really get into this song very much.

5. There is a Happy Land - Another great intro to set the melancholy mood for the song. It *sounds* like a David Bowie song with the phrasing and the atmospheric, yet pronounced use of his voice. The scatting at the end of the song is kind of goofy, but in a good way.

6. We Are Hungry Men - Some social commentary here about rejecting the notion of conformity to social convention. Nice arrangement to give the sense of chaos the lyrics suggest.

7. When I Live My Dream - Nice arrangement of strings and horns. It's a song about, well, a dream where he is able to include a woman he loves from afar in his life. Bowie has a really strong voice. I never picked up on that before.

8. Come and Buy My Toys - Acoustic guitar work is really nice.

9. Join the Gang - The piano in this song sounds like he lifted it from a Beatles song. The switch in the middle of the song (is it lifted from a song by The Who? Was it a blues song?) was unexpectedly brilliant. Paying homage in a meaningful way.

10. She's Got Medals - I came across an interpretation of this song which was interesting: http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858734844/

11. Maid of Bond Street - Pretty good bassline. It seems like the song could be about a woman Bowie met, at least before he became "a star, himself."

12. Please Mr. Gravedigger - Very arty. EDIT - I read the lyrics and figured out that Bowie was the man who killed the young girl and then the gravedigger. - At first, I couldn't tell if Bowie was the gravedigger or the man who the gravedigger was digging the grave for. Either way, it seemed ahead of its time, as if the hip-hop skits of the 90's were based on tracks like this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish I knew more about music of the sixties, so I could get a sense of what the influences were for this album and if or how ahead of the time his work was.

The album's middle was really strong, but the opening three tracks didn't do much for me.

*** / *****

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Feb-12-16 11:15 AM

29. "RE: Some thoughts...."
In response to Reply # 27

>7. When I Live My Dream - Nice arrangement of strings and
>horns. It's a song about, well, a dream where he is able to
>include a woman he loves from afar in his life. Bowie has a
>really strong voice. I never picked up on that before.

Agreed about his voice - it's not as defined yet on this record, but you can definitely hear it developing, esp. on tunes like this one.

>9. Join the Gang - The piano in this song sounds like he
>lifted it from a Beatles song. The switch in the middle of the
>song (is it lifted from a song by The Who? Was it a blues
>song?) was unexpectedly brilliant. Paying homage in a
>meaningful way.

Yeah - I'd like to know more about the inspiration for this track.

>
>I wish I knew more about music of the sixties, so I could get
>a sense of what the influences were for this album and if or
>how ahead of the time his work was.
>

See below: I think that you can put it right in the midst of some of the more adventurous stuff coming out at the time (including your Beatles nod above). I've never sought out reviews of the album - would be interesting to try and find some.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

-thebigfunk

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Feb-12-16 11:10 AM

28. "RE: "David Bowie" (#1)"
In response to Reply # 15

Some long, rambling, completely unedited thoughts on the first album:

I actually hadn’t heard this album until maybe a year and a half ago. I think it is usually treated, much like the Space Oddity album, as primarily interesting as a curiosity and predecessor to what Bowie would soon become. In many respects that’s fair: on its surface, this stuff feels miles away even from the Man Who Sold the World, let alone something like the Berlin Trilogy. This is mostly jangly, British-folk-oriented material, a lot of it more obviously humorous than what would come later (although humor is always a mainstay of Bowie). It is also a bit of a hodgepodge, showing less of Bowie’s soon-to-be-discovered penchant for making albums that work as full-fledged albums, perhaps more so than most of his contemporaries. In this sense it is reminiscent of a lot of first albums of the time: it’s no coincidence that he and Elton John shared studio musicians as both started out, and like John’s Empty Sky, it’s hard to know what to do with this record. Its cheekiness and sometimes straight-up weirdness also makes me think of Harry Nilsson, who is also getting his start around this period.

But there’s a lot here that really does hint at Bowie’s future. The lyrics, for one thing, are far more eccentric than any parallel I can think of at the time, and it is often a dark eccentricity. (Bowie persists as one of the more literary pop musicians to date, and it already suggests itself here.) Much of it reads well on the page, by itself, but the music often complements it smartly. “Uncle Arthur” is a good example: a strange character sketch of a man who can’t escape the comfort of home, it's properly one of the more jangly tunes on the record, angular and almost befuddled in feel, like Arthur himself.

I sort of adore “Rubber Band.” I think we hear Bowie’s unique vocals here possibly more than anywhere else on this first record, and the bigness of the tune, its overwroughtness, it’s bordering on camp (complete with tuba) is curiously thrilling. The outro at the end, where Bowie lets out a muffled melodic scream and shouts “I hope you break your baton” over a trudging tuba — might be my favorite moment on the album. (It’s also quite musically smart, with a rather insistent climb up the scale and very slight key changes along the way, which serves to ratchet up the tension alongside the lyric.)

“Love You Til Tuesday” — was this the single? Sounds like it. Perfectly fine pop fare with a creepy twist (it *is* about a stalker) but, like a number of tunes here, it has that strangely stilted, slightly rigid feeling that a lot of music in the mid-60s suffered from (the drugs hadn’t kicked in completely yet? — or at least a lot of rock-oriented popular music still was figuring out how to loosen up). Similarly, “There is a Happy Land” never comes together as one would like it to, which is a shame: strong idea that just seems to ramble. (Love Bowie’s wordless babble at the outro, sung in unison with the bass…)

As much of a musical grab-bag as this album is, it clearly suggests someone with a broad musical curiosity and a strong talent for unlikely combinations. There are flashes of Bowie’s art-oriented interests: “We Are Hungry Men” has a fuzzy, dissonant middle portion that almost reminds me of something out of Charles Ives or Stravinsky, and opens with a sort of off-key reveille; the longer melodic lines on a lot of tunes, their ambling feel, strike me as more related to classical musics than anything in pop at the time; even Bowie’s bits of genre-mashup and unexpected interludes feel as much like early Zappa as anything (“Join the Gang” — one of the best lines on the album, “Johnny plays the sitar, he’s an existentialist” over a beautiful sitar mess, plus the kazoo and fart-noise outro). Similarly, Bowie the studio freak is already here: it’s full of instruments bursting into a tune for a few measures and then disappearing and other slight bits of studio trickery.

It’s probably easiest to appreciate the album as a preface to a career that will soon begin to take shape - as both an effort to find a voice but also a sign of his genre restlessness - but I actually think the album may be a bit underrated on its own merits. It’s not an everyday listen, but there’s an exuberance to it that is hard to pin-down. Its experimental sensibility, its “I’m going to grab everything in the musical refrigerator and blend it up and see what happens” sensibility — yeah, it hints at future Bowie, but it’s also just a lot of fun — again, I think of Nilsson, Zappa, other eccentrics getting their start at this time.

But it’s also a very mature experimentation. Bowie and his musical partners wrote the album with a guide to orchestration in hand — it shows, in a good way. You get the sense that they wrote and recorded the album with no limits in mind: I want a tuba here, so I’m going to put a fucking tuba here… I want to record four measures of hand claps for the end of this song, no one will probably notice, but I’m going to do it because I can… that sort of thing. And I don’t think I’m reading too much into it to see it as one more artifact (certainly not the only one) of mid-century classical/art musics trickling into the realm of pop. (It was released the same day as Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, I think, and shares a lot in common with that album.)

Anyhow, it’s a record to spend time with — it grows on you. Favorite tracks: “Rubber Band,” “We Are Hungry Men,” “Join the Gang,” “Maid of Bond Street.”

-thebigfunk

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 12:20 PM

16. "David Bowie #2 (Space Oddity)"
In response to Reply # 0

Post thoughts about the second eponymous "Space Oddity" album here.

-thebigfunk

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 07:07 PM

19. "RE: A sprawling, orchestral swirl of blues, folk and rock."
In response to Reply # 16

It's almost like we get a picture of David the old time busker on this album because there's an acoustic, strummy base to all the songs. But there will always come these big orchestral flourishes. It sometimes sounds as if they were trying to dress up otherwise kind of tuneless songs because not everything here really sticks. Of course, 'Space Oddity' is a total Bowie classic for the ages, but some of the songs meander; sometimes as long as nine and a half minutes in the case of 'Cygnet Committee.' It's nice while it's playing, but don't expect anything from it to get stuck in your head like other Bowie albums. The 40th anniversary deluxe edition from 2009 adds an entire disc of extras (outtakes, single versions, BBC sessions and even the Italian version of 'Space Oddity'), which goes a long way to "Bowie-ify" the affair with the decidedly glammy outtakes 'London Bye Ta Ta' (featuring appearances by Tony Visconti, Mick Ronson and Rick Wakeman) and 'The Prettiest Star' (yes, that's Marc Bolan on guitar!); along with the glammed-up single version of 'Memory of a Free Festival,' it all definitely points ahead to where Bowie would soon venture. My favorite song from this era (which appears on the bonus disc) is the lush, world-weary 'Conversation Piece.' Bowie would revisit it in 2002 while recording Heathen, lending it some longevity. Sounding even more like an old soul, it hits that transcendental timeless vibe that Bowie would soon make a career out of and, more importantly, becomes even more poignant in the shadow of his death. An uneven album but, especially with the bonus disc, an important bridge between two distinct eras of Bowie.

Kosa12
4988 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 06:33 PM

22. "A great album"
In response to Reply # 16

This was actually one of the first albums I heard by Bowie. I know it didn't get that great review but to be honest, I'd disagree with them. This is just a quality psychedelic/folk-ish release that just happens to be by Bowie. The three stand out tracks rank among my favorite songs by him - "Letter To Hermoine" (one of the most beautiful songs by him, in my opinion), "Cygnet Committe" (epic) and of course "Space Oddity". "Memory of a Free Festival" is a great album closer as well.

----------

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 12:21 PM

17. ""The Man Who Sold the World""
In response to Reply # 0

Post thoughts on "The Man Who Sold the World" here.

-thebigfunk

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 07:38 PM

20. "RE: Mick Ronson is in the house!"
In response to Reply # 17

The Man Who Sold the World is Bowie's hardest rocking album. Let's just get that out of the way right now. Mick Ronson brings his classic and undeniably warm distorted guitar tone and Tony Visconti's bass is all the way in the red for the duration here. There's an electric blues chug to the base of a lot of the songs, but Bowie's always looking to go for the big crescendo, so there's always a turn waiting in the song somewhere. The opener 'The Width of a Circle' is just a huge, hard rocking eight minute statement of purpose. And a good example of how the album is blues based, but not just playing a cliched boogie rock. The original cover art famously featured Bowie in drag, making this really his first full venture into proper "capital G" Glam rock. There's riffs for days on tunes like 'Black Country Rock', the title track and the vaguely Black Sabbath-ish 'She Shook Me Cold.' And the killer Bowie ballad shows up here for the first time too with 'After All.' It's only outdone by the spooky, enduring and inarguably classic title track. Bowie would make a career out of this sort of timeless, character-based study condensed into a remarkable pop song. For anybody else, it would be their masterpiece. For Bowie, it was simply the first of many. An interesting aside to this period of Bowie is that he started a band around this time and called it the Arnold Corns. It was basically a dry run for Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, as the band recorded both 'Moonage Daydream' and 'Hang on to Yourself' as singles before disbanding. The recordings are collected as bonus tracks on Ryko's 1990 CD reissue of the album. The Man Who Sold the World was Bowie's first all around triumph, as an album and a mission statement. Rock on.

Kosa12
4988 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 06:38 PM

23. "The beginning of his prime"
In response to Reply # 17

I know most people count Hunky Dory as the beginning of his prime but this is one hell of a record. As Austin has already said way more eloquently than I could hope to: this album rocks hard - but it's always sub-genre switching, which keeps it extremely interesting. It's an album that proves that, if he really wanted to, he could've taken his career in whichever way and maybe not have been as succesfull, but still put out quality music. You got psychedelia, glam Rock, Hard Rock here, played extremely well. Standouts for me are "All The Madmen", "After All" and the title track.

----------

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 12:21 PM

18. ""Hunky Dory""
In response to Reply # 0

Post thoughts on Hunky Dory here. Ch-ch-changes...

-thebigfunk

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 08:22 PM

21. "RE: Bowie's singer/songwriter album."
In response to Reply # 18

Where Tony Visconti's bass and Mick Ronson's guitars were up front on The Man Who Sold the World, Rick Wakeman's piano is at the fore for the majority of Hunky Dory. There's a personal side to most of the material here, which lends a lot of resonance to tunes like 'Changes' and especially 'Quicksand.' There's a couple big glammy hooks though too on 'Oh! You Pretty Things' and 'Life on Mars?' Side one has the record's big moments, while side two is given over to more introspective-tinged moments whose focus are the lyrics ('Andy Warhol' and 'Song for Bob Dylan' both explore fame in a strange way that only Bowie could do), though it does contain the one song on the album where Bowie rocks out on 'Queen Bitch.' The album ends with the slow burning character study 'The Bewlay Brothers' and points directly towards Ziggy Stardust. But to say it's merely a signpost of what was to come sells it short as a brilliant and theatrical closer — which it is, totally and completely. Hunky Dory proved that The Man Who Sold the World was no fluke and it still stands up as one of Bowie's most influential albums, not to the mention the beginning of one of the most consistent hot streaks in rock and roll.

Eric B Is Prez
Member since Nov 08th 2005
4981 posts
Fri Feb-12-16 02:36 PM

34. "RE: Bowie's singer/songwriter album."
In response to Reply # 21

>though it does contain the one song on the album where Bowie rocks out >on 'Queen Bitch.'

Such a heavy nod to the Velvet Undergound. This could be one of their songs.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Sun Feb-14-16 10:10 AM

35. "Good place to drop this vid "
In response to Reply # 34

Lou Reed and Bowie at Bowie's 50th bday, awesome performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2orgACrQto

RIP to two legends

Kosa12
4988 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 06:46 PM

24. "Great piano - great album"
Wed Jan-27-16 06:47 PM by Kosa12

I always wonder what it would've felt like to experience this stuff as it was happening as Bowie leapt between genres. After the hard The Man That Sold The World, he puts out this - with the A-side being mostly piano based pop/rock. THat said, the album is fantastic and probably has one of my favorite 3 in a row strand of tracks by him - "Life On Mars" (which was the first Bowie song I heard a long ass time ago), "Kooks" and "Quicksand". "The Bewlay Brothers" is another song from this album that I love and of course "Changes" - a song I had heard way before I first heard this record (which embarrassingly wasn't that long ago - I had only heard 3 Bowie albums before his death - Space Oddity, Station to Station and Ziggy Stardust) is ridiculously classic and being my age I have the luck of it not being outplayed to my ears. I've always loved the way Bowie hums at the beginning of that track - the first 20 seconds; sounds mad soulful to me.

----------

201cue
2204 posts
Fri Feb-12-16 12:13 PM

30. "My favorite Bowie album"

I love the kitsch as much as I love the musicianship and songwriting. I think it was just reissued on vinyl, copped that joint immediately. Re-listening, this is the first time I'm really noticing the string arrangements on Life on Mars?

Just dope stuff here. The early 70s was so crazy as far as musical output is concerned.

Heavy Ro'
Jay Rock - Redemption
Roc Marci - RR2
Taz Arnold - rAd americA

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Fri Feb-12-16 01:29 PM

31. "Is there a Hunky Dory >>> contingent?"
In response to Reply # 30

I dove down the Bowie wormhole recently as well

got through Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust

I think he's most known for the Ziggy character

but I was left with the overall impression that the music on Hunky Dory was just better

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

201cue
2204 posts
Sun Feb-14-16 10:45 AM

36. "Me for sure"
In response to Reply # 31

Heavy Ro'
Jay Rock - Redemption
Roc Marci - RR2
Taz Arnold - rAd americA

Eric B Is Prez
4981 posts
Fri Feb-12-16 02:34 PM

33. "RE: "Hunky Dory""

I think this album is perfect. Its highs may not be the highest of his career, but the whole thing is so cohesive, and the songwriting is just so tightly wrought. Love the heavy use of piano. Beautifully mastered and warm.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Thu Feb-04-16 07:29 AM

25. "up"
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry to throw this up and then ditch --- life has been busier than expected the last bit. Thanks to Austin and Kosa for throwing some thoughts up - things are getting back to normal for me, so I should be back in it shortly. In the meantime, hopefully some others will get to listening and share some thoughts...

-thebigfunk

Kosa12
4988 posts
Thu Feb-04-16 06:46 PM

26. "no problem man"
In response to Reply # 25

----------

Eric B Is Prez
4981 posts
Fri Feb-12-16 02:30 PM

32. "This is such a dope idea"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm glad I stumbled on your post eventually. I'm doing the same thing. I decided to go through everything from The Man Who Sold the World through his 90s albums. Or at least through Let's Dance. I'm just starting Scary Monsters now. So many thoughts.

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Thu Aug-04-16 03:01 PM

37. "RE: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars"
In response to Reply # 0

Before I get into this properly, I'd like to address the sentiment that's arisen in recent years that this album is overrated. No, it's not. Saying Ziggy is overrated is like saying the Beatles or the Velvet Underground are overrated. It just reached a point where it was so familiar that people started to shine it off a little bit. Maybe the album's reputation has been puffed-up over the years, but it never would have received such high marks in the first place if the actual music wasn't any good. Removed from all the hype and mythology, Ziggy is still one of the most enduring and influential albums of the classic rock era.

With that being said, there is so much to love on this album. Where Hunky Dory found Bowie honing his song craft, Ziggy finds him perfecting it. The choruses for songs like 'Starman', 'Hang On to Yourself' and 'Moonage Daydream' are so unbelievably well-built into the songs that they just become instantly unforgettable. The loose concept of the album is based around the idea of Ziggy Stardust being a rock super star alien, residing here on Earth in the end times, bringing his message of good times and rocking out to alleviate the stress of knowing that it will all end in just five years. Big, grandiose arrangements and orchestral flourishes are found throughout, enhancing the plot and succeeding in making the album feel larger than life in its scope. Through all of that, Bowie never forgets the importance of a good tune and the Spiders from Mars are the perfect match for his sometimes perfectly empathetic and sometimes melodramatic vocal performance. With Mick Ronson in the lead, this also ends up being one of the great guitar clinic albums of all time as well. The hard-rocking 'Suffragette City' is a total winner, while the riff for the classic title track is permanently burned into my memory. With an album this good, there was unfortunately nowhere to go but down. For extra credit, and for the complete Ziggy experience, you really need to track down the non-album single from this era, 'John I'm Only Dancing.' One of Bowie's best ever tunes, it's a fantastic confluence of his strummy acoustic beginnings and his then recently discovered ability to construct huge, instantly memorable hooks.

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Thu Aug-04-16 06:24 PM

39. "time takes a cigarette"
In response to Reply # 37

>Before I get into this properly, I'd like to address the
>sentiment that's arisen in recent years that this album is
>overrated. No, it's not. Saying Ziggy is overrated is like
>saying the Beatles or the Velvet Underground are overrated.
>It just reached a point where it was so familiar that people
>started to shine it off a little bit. Maybe the album's
>reputation has been puffed-up over the years, but it never
>would have received such high marks in the first place if the
>actual music wasn't any good. Removed from all the hype and
>mythology, Ziggy is still one of the most enduring and
>influential albums of the classic rock era.
>
>With that being said, there is so much to love on this album.
>Where Hunky Dory found Bowie honing his song craft, Ziggy
>finds him perfecting it. The choruses for songs like
>'Starman', 'Hang On to Yourself' and 'Moonage Daydream' are so
>unbelievably well-built into the songs that they just become
>instantly unforgettable. The loose concept of the album is
>based around the idea of Ziggy Stardust being a rock super
>star alien, residing here on Earth in the end times, bringing
>his message of good times and rocking out to alleviate the
>stress of knowing that it will all end in just five years.
>Big, grandiose arrangements and orchestral flourishes are
>found throughout, enhancing the plot and succeeding in making
>the album feel larger than life in its scope. Through all of
>that, Bowie never forgets the importance of a good tune and
>the Spiders from Mars are the perfect match for his sometimes
>perfectly empathetic and sometimes melodramatic vocal
>performance. With Mick Ronson in the lead, this also ends up
>being one of the great guitar clinic albums of all time as
>well. The hard-rocking 'Suffragette City' is a total winner,
>while the riff for the classic title track is permanently
>burned into my memory. With an album this good, there was
>unfortunately nowhere to go but down. For extra credit, and
>for the complete Ziggy experience, you really need to track
>down the non-album single from this era, 'John I'm Only
>Dancing.' One of Bowie's best ever tunes, it's a fantastic
>confluence of his strummy acoustic beginnings and his then
>recently discovered ability to construct huge, instantly
>memorable hooks.
>
>
>"I wasn't sure if I was lost or running away again. . ."
>
>http://austinato.bandcamp.com
>
>http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2016/269401

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Thu Aug-04-16 03:57 PM

38. "keep this up please. great idea"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Thu Aug-04-16 07:26 PM

40. "RE: Aladdin Sane"
In response to Reply # 0

When Ziggy exploded his popularity, Bowie decided to ride it out for a little while. The result was Aladdin Sane, an album that's a bit more style than substance. Where Ziggy had the songs to back up the outrageous theatrics, Aladdin Sane tries to get by just on image. This means Mick Ronson's crunchy distorted guitar banging out riffs that are more percussive than they are tuneful and falling back on a more bluesy base. Songs like 'The Jean Genie', 'Watch that Man' and 'Cracked Actor' are fun, but it reaches a point where you may find yourself asking, "Haven't I heard Bowie do this sort of thing before, but better?" It's a clue that the charade was wearing thin when one of the album's highlights is a cover: the glammed up, New York Dolls-esque run-through of the Rolling Stones' 'Let's Spend the Night Together.' The really interesting songs are the moodier —if not completely successful— ones: the surprisingly dissonant title track, the crackling funk rock of 'Panic in Detroit' and the eerie closer 'Lady Grinning Soul.' Those four tunes in particular foreshadow Bowie's next twenty four months; full of covers and flailing slowly into cocaine-addled paranoia. It's an uneven, excessive album that just sounds like "sex drugs and rock 'n' roll", but hey, is this Glam rock or not?

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Thu Aug-04-16 09:20 PM

41. "RE: Pin Ups"
In response to Reply # 0

The last of the Ziggy trilogy, Pin Ups was poorly received at the time and Bowie was criticized for being out of ideas because it's a covers record. But, I think, all these years later, removed from the increased anticipation, it's held up as a much stronger album than its reputation would have you believe. Because, even though Bowie may have been having a tough time coming up with his own tunes, he still knew a great one when he heard it. And Pin Ups digs back to the mid-60's mod and psych scene of London for some real winners. The Ziggy-ified arrangements of the songs —highlighted by 'Rosalyn' (The Pretty Things), 'Friday on my Mind' (The Easybeats) and 'See Emily Play' (Pink Floyd)— are definitely glammed up and extravagant, but they all remain fiercely catchy ditties and the Spiders from Mars play tight and fast, making the album a breeze to sit through. It remains one of Bowie's last authentically tried and true rock and roll statements, almost joyfully aloof in its mission to simply rock out and have some fun. After this is where the Bowie-as-musical-chameleon thing really starts to take over and it becomes a guessing game whether he really means what he's singing or if he's trying to score another hit with an alter ego as popular as Ziggy. In that regard, Pin Ups was, beyond doubt, the end of an era.

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Fri Aug-05-16 10:13 PM

42. "RE: Diamond Dogs"
In response to Reply # 0

At the time, Diamond Dogs was only seen as confirmation of what was suspected after Pin Ups: Bowie was battering about, without any direction. And, with Mick Ronson and the rest of the Spiders from Mars now gone, he didn't have an ace band to mask otherwise mundane songs. Throw in with that a super high concept —inspired by George Orwell and Bowie's own coked out paranoia— about a dystopian future and you get one of the best examples of what a mess 70's big budget excess could enable. It's an impenetrable, poorly followed concept unsteadily supported by songs that are mostly deadly slow dirges. But despite all of the strikes against it, Diamond Dogs somehow manages to have enough shining moments to make it worthy of reassessment. It begins with the immortal declaration of "This ain't rock and roll, this is genocide!" Which, all discrepancies aside, is a pretty genius way to introduce an album that had the intended magnitude that Diamond Dogs did. Musically, the arrangements are pretty much interchangeable with those on Aladdin Sane: loud guitars, pianos, saxophone. It's just that the tempos for the most part are so dang slow, especially on side two. As a redemption, it does contain one of Bowie's last hurrahs, as far as glam rock anthems go, in the form of 'Rebel Rebel.' An instantly memorable circular riff and one of Bowie's most zeitgeist-y set of lyrics makes for a nice oasis right in the middle of the album. For all of its madness and gloomy atmosphere, Diamond Dogs was largely the sound of Bowie spinning his creative wheels and many started considering him unfashionable in its wake. In hindsight, one thing was for sure: there was zero indication here of where he would go next.

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Fri Aug-05-16 11:01 PM

43. "RE: Young Americans"
In response to Reply # 0

There's an old adage that I'm sure, as a music fan, you're well aware of which says that imitation is highest form of flattery. Bowie's modus operandi was, from the very start, supposed to be that of a post-modern ideology. So, with that in mind, he made a love letter of an album inspired by, and following the established recipe for, contemporary American soul music. Dropping the needle on the album for the first time to be greeted by the title track's sax and funk shuffle intro vamp was all you needed to hear to know Bowie was on the move again. Gone are the loud distorted guitar riffs, the chugging piano chords and grandiose middle-eights of the Ziggy days. What constitutes a Bowie song now includes guitars with lots of chorus and wah-wah, funky backbeats, lots of sax solos, female backup singers and various types of electric keyboards. He was captivated by Philly Soul and Aretha Franklin. He wanted to make his own version of that music. So he did; he called it "plastic soul." Once the listener gets over the initial impact and confusion of what Young Americans actually sounds like, only then does it start to reveal itself to be a somewhat underwhelming listen. Bowie is obviously inspired by this new setting and the songs are all played convincingly; it's just a bit hollow on repeated listens. There's a very peculiar Beatles cloud hanging over the whole album that manifests itself in a quote from 'A Day in the Life' on the title track and, of course, with John Lennon stopping by to lend help on a satisfying cover of 'Across the Universe' and to co-write and perform on the album's closing track. An instant classic that still wows, even today, 'Fame' is one of Bowie and/or Lennon's greatest works. It's the one cut on the album that is strictly guitar-based. But even with a heavily distorted middle register riff, the groove is so funky, so sweltering and so damn haunting that it doesn't matter. It's consummate badassery of the highest order and it justifies the existence of Young Americans all by itself. So, yeah: hit or miss album, but stick around for the end credits or else you'll miss the best part. For extra credit, there is an hour long BBC-produced documentary on Bowie from this period called Cracked Actor, which illustrates just how deep his appreciation for American soul music was.

ChiefRocka
Member since Sep 08th 2009
406 posts
Sat Aug-06-16 12:02 AM

45. "It's telling that even on an underwhelming album by his standards"
In response to Reply # 43
Sat Aug-06-16 12:02 AM by ChiefRocka

it's got 2 songs ("Fame" and the title track) that are better than most artists careers.

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Fri Aug-05-16 11:55 PM

44. "RE: Station to Station"
In response to Reply # 0

There's a rather infamous scene in Cracked Actor where Bowie, unable to stop sniffling and fidgeting with his nose, is riding in a car when he suddenly starts not-so-subtly turning around to look out the back window of the car and abruptly asks out loud to no one in particular, "Are we being followed?" His tone of voice is one of poorly feigned offhand concern. Instead, it is very clear that he is, in fact, not being followed and that he is simultaneously so completely out of his head on cocaine that his paranoia is causing him to act in such a clearly strange way. And yet, like all dependent cocaine users, he thinks he is putting up a believable facade of being just fine. That's the tortuous mental make-up that birthed Station to Station.

Young Americans, perhaps surprisingly, had been a hit on the back of 'Fame' and the title track, so anyone wagering Bowie's next move probably placed all their chips on Bowie doing another "plastic soul" record. But, by this point, Bowie was trying to be anything but predictable, so instead he turns in the backup singers, saxophones and electric keyboards and returns to a more sparse, almost entirely guitar-based sound and renamed himself the Thin White Duke. The funky backbeats are the only holdover and it should be said right away that this album wouldn't be nearly as good as it is were it not so rhythmically addictive. And make no mistakes: the music conjured up here is a dark, dreary inventive strain of funk rock. It is the absolute peak of cocaine-fueled lunacy. Look no further than the sprawling, two part title track —which even goes as far as naming Bowie's drug of choice— for proof. Upon listening to the album for the first time, it should become very clear that 'Fame' was not an isolated incident. No, this type of dark glam funk was what he was maniacally going for all along. The songs are all uncharacteristically long; most clocking in around six minutes. And despite all of this potentially working against it, Station to Station manages to invent its own sound, its own little world. Besides the gargantuan title track, my favorites on the album have always been the two closing songs: the psycho-disco of 'Stay' and the unusually heartfelt Nina Simone cover 'Wild is the Wind.' Nothing sounded like this at the time and it's been a hugely influential album on bands like Orange Juice and Gang of Four — bands that were themselves highly influential. Somehow in all of this, the album's one single, the super catchy 'Golden Years,' became a hit. However, the Thin White Duke, undeterred by his heavy drug use, would not last much longer.

Station to Station is such a wonderful album. I've been listening to it for nearly twenty years now and it's still not gotten tiresome. On some days, I'd say it's unequivocally Bowie's best work. Absolutely top gear all the way.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2954856 Previous topic | Next topic