Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2954691

Subject: "Artists who you don't like, but would change" Previous topic | Next topic
Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Mon Jan-18-16 02:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Artists who you don't like, but would change"

And you believe this change would make you a big fan.

For example, the biggest one for me here is Adele. It is pretty obviously to me that she is a good, probably great singer, but I can't get into her music at all. The reason is that she chooses to rock over the safest shit ever. By "safe" I mean that, the type of production she chooses, those soft pop, often piano based, ballads, is just so boring, which, in my opinion, doesn't get the most out of what her voice is obviously capable of. I'd love if she just took a bit more risk, or added some edge, to her music, because she is probably capable of releasing a dope album. She won't though, because her market is not people with my taste - I understand that lol.

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm with you on Adele. For me, she averages
Jan 18th 2016
Same here.
Jan 20th 2016
Rick Ross
Jan 18th 2016
Good one.
Jan 18th 2016
so many great beats
Jan 18th 2016
Metallica
Jan 18th 2016
They really needed a better drummer in general.
Jan 20th 2016
Game
Jan 18th 2016
John Mayer, fabolous and Kelly Clarkson and others
Jan 18th 2016
SMH. and you came at my neck when i said the same.
Jan 19th 2016
Avant........................
Jan 18th 2016
Future.
Jan 20th 2016
Sade.
Jan 20th 2016
Maaan, people always look at me like I'm an idiot when I say Sade's
Jan 20th 2016
I dig Sade
Jan 20th 2016
as with anything, the way an artist does something has to
Jan 21st 2016
my wife and i argue about this regularly
Jan 21st 2016
Musically, Adele was far more interesting on 19
Jan 20th 2016
Mac Miller and Lil B
Jan 20th 2016
I think this ILoveMakonnen kid is really interesting
Jan 20th 2016

bills
Member since Feb 17th 2007
1199 posts
Mon Jan-18-16 03:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm with you on Adele. For me, she averages"
In response to Reply # 0

2 great songs per album.

can't think of anyone to add on right now...

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 08:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Same here."
In response to Reply # 1

Her music bores me to tears.

fuck you.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14012 posts
Mon Jan-18-16 03:44 PM

2. "Rick Ross"
In response to Reply # 0

If he just rapped about something worth hearing.
I love his voice, music choices, and the way he rides the beat, but
his content is trash 99.9% of the time.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24409 posts
Mon Jan-18-16 03:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Good one."
In response to Reply # 2

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Kosa12
4988 posts
Mon Jan-18-16 05:32 PM

6. "so many great beats"
In response to Reply # 2

wasted on him

----------

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13952 posts
Mon Jan-18-16 04:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Metallica"
In response to Reply # 0

I barely like any of their stuff but if they somehow changed to a retro - 60's Steppenwolf type thing (wah wah'd up beat up guitars - not those shiny cold black guitars either and also with a Hammond B-3 organ as well) and Hetfield sang wilder more like a caricature and less rough, then I'd probably like them a lot.

A rough, ragged, washed-out late 60's/early 70's thing over that hard,shiny 80's,90's, 2000's thing.

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 10:08 PM

18. "They really needed a better drummer in general."
In response to Reply # 4

And would definitely need a better drummer to go that route. Dude has NO swing.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44709 posts
Mon Jan-18-16 04:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Game"
In response to Reply # 0

He's got a bunch of albums that I almost like. Hell, even want to like. He's good at picking beats and he's decent at rapping. If he eliminated the name-dropping and severely cut-down the gang shit, I'd like him a lot more.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Jan-18-16 11:14 PM

7. "John Mayer, fabolous and Kelly Clarkson and others "
In response to Reply # 0

John Mayer I would go all James taylor and stop fronting with a lick toward Stevie Ray Vaughan. He knows a good acoustic baby james project is the winning ticket.

Fabolous drop the broke Puffy and Jay Z mid 90's thing and flip it. the cat can flow and is smooth, just stuck in the same ole same.

Kelly Clarkson she should have some of that Adelle thing,but with a nod to Pat Benetar. Clarkson is missing that balance and she got some goods, but is cornball.

Seal i want to hear him go into some real soul and not that lounge ritz crackers Murder She wrote waltz slow soul he be doing.

Jennifer Hudson a good natalie cole cover album right now would shut the biz down. i likes her voice, but the stuff she mostly puts out is not hitting.

Faith Evans i would love a blues album period.leave that other stuff alone.

Gary Clark Jr do that frankie beverly and Maze joint and stop with the broke Lenny Kravitz,route.

Janell MOnea go on and do that "pull up to the bumper" Grace jones joint and stop fronting.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Tue Jan-19-16 08:44 AM

9. "SMH. and you came at my neck when i said the same."
In response to Reply # 7

>
>Jennifer Hudson a good natalie cole cover album right now
>would shut the biz down. i likes her voice, but the stuff she
>mostly puts out is not hitting.
>

it's all good though.

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

Record Playa
Member since Apr 29th 2007
2925 posts
Mon Jan-18-16 11:45 PM

8. "Avant........................"
In response to Reply # 0

Bring back whoever helped him on the Ecstasy and Director album.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23876 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 08:04 AM

10. "Future."
In response to Reply # 0

If he could rap as close to the level of a DF member that I don't really even care for that much, I'd probably like him more.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 08:23 AM

12. "Sade."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-20-16 08:23 AM by SoWhat

Kinda like your Adele analysis - I find her music fairly bland. The lyrics are usually overwrought and underdone. I like a few of her songs and they're typically relatively uptempo and at least slightly funky. I'd push her in that direction. More 'Sweetest Taboo' and much less 'Jezebel'.

fuck you.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 05:58 PM

16. "Maaan, people always look at me like I'm an idiot when I say Sade's"
In response to Reply # 12

music is just bland, dull to me.

I know that calling music "boring" can sound like amateur critique, but as an actual music head who grew up on music that just had so much more....everything, soul, rhythm, energy, etc etc...she just doesn't do it for me.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Kosa12
4988 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 06:53 PM

17. "I dig Sade"
In response to Reply # 16

but that is a completely understandable reason not to like her

----------

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13952 posts
Thu Jan-21-16 06:39 AM

19. "as with anything, the way an artist does something has to"
In response to Reply # 16

"click" with the listener.

Recently, in that "when is that Maxwell album coming out?" post, folks were getting heavy about D'angelo not being better than Maxwell but....I agree with D'angelo being WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than Maxwell because for all of the quality of Maxwell's music and his talent, I really only can take that song "bad habits" (and Maxwell has made a LOT of music and I've heard a good amount of that music).

So, for all D'angelo's flaws (I don't really like "Voodoo" that much and the production/sound quality on "Black Messiah" could be a lot better) and D'angelo not putting out much music, D'angelo's music clicks with me on a certain level and Maxwell's music just doesn't.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Thu Jan-21-16 07:31 AM

20. "my wife and i argue about this regularly"
In response to Reply # 12

to the point that it's now an inside joke/motif...

She thinks Sade's lps all sound the same. She says the songs themselves are pretty boring and that she finds Sade's voice pretty but monotonous.

And honestly, I get it. But where she hears boring I hear openness, an embracing of space and repetition that invites immersion. Where she hears monotony in Sade's vocals I hear something very real and a sort of economy of delivery...

It really is funny how people can hear and interpret the same sounds so differently... anyhow, so whenever a convo gets semi-heated, she'll often launch a "Sade is boring" grenade to diffuse the situation, because we have talked about it so many times it has a humorous value at this point...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Hitokiri
Charter member
22096 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 02:12 PM

13. "Musically, Adele was far more interesting on 19 "
In response to Reply # 0

than on 21 or 25.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 03:52 PM

14. "Mac Miller and Lil B"
In response to Reply # 0

Both have exhibited glimpses of decent rhyme skills on a few tracks, and usually those are their more sample-based pseudo backpacker-ish beats. (i.e. Lil B's "Giving Up" and "Keep Saggin" being examples)

More of that kinda stuff and I'll fuck with both of 'em.
---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Wed Jan-20-16 03:58 PM

15. "I think this ILoveMakonnen kid is really interesting"
In response to Reply # 0

his music sounds like it's prepared in slapdash fashion, but his hooks are what make me think twice about him. If he could hunker down with a producer somewhere who could get him to focus, I think he has Frank Ocean potential. For the time being the output is just too inconsistent for me to say I'm a full on fan yet.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2954691 Previous topic | Next topic