Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2953805

Subject: "Black Milk - Like i need it all" Previous topic | Next topic
Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Wed Jan-06-16 08:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Black Milk - Like i need it all"

https://soundcloud.com/blackmilkofficial/like-i-need-it-all

best producer of the last 10 years

real talk

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
scary how much better he gets with each release
Jan 07th 2016
right? nowadays i barely listen to new hip hop but everytime BM
Jan 07th 2016
      yup...he never disappoints
Jan 07th 2016
EASILY
Jan 07th 2016
both? he has like 5 lp's out lmao
Jan 07th 2016
      weird
Jan 08th 2016
Yes
Jan 07th 2016
RE: Black Milk - Like i need it all
Jan 08th 2016
Jan 08th 2016
i think you and i are the only ones who liked AOTY
Jan 08th 2016
RE: i think you and i are the only ones who liked AOTY
Jan 10th 2016
If he's moving "backwards", smart move
Jan 08th 2016
lol
Jan 09th 2016
RE: lol
Jan 11th 2016
Jan 09th 2016
Jan 11th 2016
maybe because he lives in Texas now.
Jan 11th 2016
      I figured as much.
Jan 11th 2016
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah
Jan 08th 2016
nice
Jan 08th 2016
another one
Jan 14th 2016
this is dope but that title goes to The Alchemist....nm
Jan 14th 2016

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Thu Jan-07-16 11:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "scary how much better he gets with each release"
In response to Reply # 0

..love this

Hellyeah
6507 posts
Thu Jan-07-16 03:13 PM

2. "right? nowadays i barely listen to new hip hop but everytime BM"
In response to Reply # 1

drops something i rush my ass to listen to it

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Thu Jan-07-16 04:48 PM

5. "yup...he never disappoints "
In response to Reply # 2

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Thu Jan-07-16 04:03 PM

3. "EASILY"
In response to Reply # 0

BOTH his full lengths and the ep, and the instro 12s, were great. not good great.

thanks for this

Hellyeah
6507 posts
Thu Jan-07-16 04:47 PM

4. "both? he has like 5 lp's out lmao"
In response to Reply # 3

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Fri Jan-08-16 11:48 AM

7. "weird"
In response to Reply # 4

and I mentioned the recent output, which cements him being top 10, or was that not clear enough...

because everything outside of Tronic was hit and miss from Milk, before he got on this run

so LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

dumbass

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Thu Jan-07-16 10:31 PM

6. "Yes"
In response to Reply # 0

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

spidey
Charter member
13122 posts
Fri Jan-08-16 12:34 PM

8. "RE: Black Milk - Like i need it all"
In response to Reply # 0

UP!

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Fri Jan-08-16 02:32 PM

9. "RE: Black Milk - Like i need it all"
In response to Reply # 0

>https://soundcloud.com/blackmilkofficial/like-i-need-it-all
>
>best producer of the last 10 years

No, no, no... Even if your a purist, which means I won't include cats like Timbo and Pharrell in the list, would you say that the output from cats like Jake One, Just Blaze and Justice League pales in comparison to BM's? What about the stuff ALC and Oh No have been doing as Gangrene and on the GTA soundtrack?

In the end though, this is your opinion, so, it can't be wrong.

>real talk

If that's your version of real talk, I'd hate to hear fake. Look, I'm a BM FAN, but this track is NOT special. Personally, since AOTY, he has been moving backwards. Don't get me wrong, every now and again he'll manage to squeeze out some heat like Perfected on Puritan Ave, Story and Her or Poison, but, for the most part, his production has taken this weird, dark, minimalist turn that has left me feeling lukewarm to his output.

Now, this current track is that same style he tried on Hell Below where he's mixing samples with a Texas hip hop type beat. It's cool and I applaud him for trying something different, but he hasn't made done anything with it that is worth clamoring over.

This reminds me of when some cat had posted this off kilter sounding Common track produced by NO ID. Can't remember the name right now, but I'll search for the post and respond with it if it's still around. Anyway, cats were quick to praise it like it was the second coming. And all the beat really was was a sample of like some royal ensemble drums. "Yeah, this is fire!" "This is what hip hop should sound like." Well, the track didn't even make the cut for the album and obviously many other cats didn't feel as strongly because the ensuing album, Nobody's Smiling, tanked. I reference this example because we tend to get uber excited for any kind of new material just because it's new, which is cool, but let's not automatically start talking in superlatives.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Fri Jan-08-16 03:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "i think you and i are the only ones who liked AOTY"
In response to Reply # 9

i wished he stayed on that lane for at least one more album. i appreciated those weird, live drum patterns and just the overall groove he was into at that time.

AOTY is still my fave release from him although If There's A Hell Below was also good.

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Sun Jan-10-16 03:23 PM

16. "RE: i think you and i are the only ones who liked AOTY"
In response to Reply # 10

>i wished he stayed on that lane for at least one more album.
>i appreciated those weird, live drum patterns and just the
>overall groove he was into at that time.

I won't lie. Didn't like them that much at first, but they grew on me and that album proved to be his most cohesive as a single piece of art.

>AOTY is still my fave release from him although If There's A
>Hell Below was also good.
>
I might have to give that one another listen but it didn't grab me off the jump. And I think it's primarily he mixing. I think he as especially taken a step back in that area with his recent joints.

AOTY was banging and very in your face. Everything after is not...

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Fri Jan-08-16 03:29 PM

11. "If he's moving "backwards", smart move"
In response to Reply # 9

because AOTY wasn't that good

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Hellyeah
6507 posts
Sat Jan-09-16 10:50 AM

14. "lol"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat Jan-09-16 10:54 AM by Hellyeah

you're right, jake one and alc could give him a run for his money, but he's still a better rapper/producer than both of them

just blaze is the jay electronica of producers..love his work but 1/2 beats per year aren't going to do it for me

justice league are a collective of dudes..we're comparing single individuals here

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 09:15 AM

17. "RE: lol"
In response to Reply # 14

>you're right, jake one and alc could give him a run for his
>money, but he's still a better rapper/producer than both of
>them

If you're specifically referring to his skill as a combo guard, then, yes, especially in regards to Jake One cause he doesn't rap. But if we look at production alone, which is what I was referring to, then, no. He is not better than them.
>
>just blaze is the jay electronica of producers..love his work
>but 1/2 beats per year aren't going to do it for me

I'll give you that. But, I'd rather 1-5 bangers a year than 20 tracks where only 5 are certifiably hot.

>justice league are a collective of dudes..we're comparing
>single individuals here

True, but I definitely know that both Jake and Black use studio musicians a lot, so, that's why I mentioned them.

danmac0213
Member since Aug 08th 2014
1 posts
Sat Jan-09-16 01:29 PM

15. "RE: Black Milk - Like i need it all"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat Jan-09-16 01:30 PM by danmac0213

Just blaze,No ID, timbo, pharrell are good but those dudes work with limited artists and are not putting out eps with different cats and instrumental tapes. like producers such as statik selektah, black milk, the alchemist, oh no, madlib, harry fraud, nottz, illmind, plus other dudes are there that just dont get the shine like thelonius martin, cardo, jhalil beats, the jerm, focus. these are just some other producers that really do some good beats might have trash rappers on them occasionally but they stay consistant.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 09:23 AM

18. "RE: Black Milk - Like i need it all"
In response to Reply # 15

>Just blaze,No ID, timbo, pharrell are good but those dudes
>work with limited artists and are not putting out eps with
>different cats and instrumental tapes. like producers such as
>statik selektah, black milk, the alchemist, oh no, madlib,
>harry fraud, nottz, illmind, plus other dudes are there that
>just dont get the shine like thelonius martin, cardo, jhalil
>beats, the jerm, focus. these are just some other producers
>that really do some good beats might have trash rappers on
>them occasionally but they stay consistant.

Never mentioned NO ID. That's your pick, not mine. Also, I prefer producers who are selective of whom they work with rather than just putting out as much product as possible with any subpar emcee. Also, there's NO WAY Harry Fraud should be mentioned with Milk, Lib, Nottz and nem. I'll let Statik slide cause he has the discography, but definitely not Fraud. And, I've never even heard of The Jerm.

But, to go back to a point that you even made, your beats can be as consistent as ever, but put trash emcees over them and most times they will be ignored or only be heard by a few hardcore fans.

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 09:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "maybe because he lives in Texas now."
In response to Reply # 9

>Now, this current track is that same style he tried on Hell
>Below where he's mixing samples with a Texas hip hop type
>beat. It's cool and I applaud him for trying something
>different, but he hasn't made done anything with it that is
>worth clamoring over.

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 06:58 PM

20. "I figured as much."
In response to Reply # 19

nm

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Jan-08-16 03:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah"
In response to Reply # 0

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Fri Jan-08-16 10:14 PM

13. "nice"
In response to Reply # 0

Hellyeah
6507 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 04:27 PM

21. "another one"
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/blackmilkofficial/for-4ever

guru0509
Charter member
45353 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 07:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "this is dope but that title goes to The Alchemist....nm"
In response to Reply # 0

>https://soundcloud.com/blackmilkofficial/like-i-need-it-all
>
>best producer of the last 10 years
>
>real talk

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Lobby The Lesson topic #2953805 Previous topic | Next topic