Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2946981

Subject: "808s & heartbreaks 7 years later" Previous topic | Next topic
Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Sun Oct-11-15 05:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"808s & heartbreaks 7 years later"

Yesterday i listened to it for the first time in many years and i was amazed at how much it sounds current and it kinda bangs in the car.

At the time i really had no idea what i was listening to but with that album dude really birthed the style of all the most successful current artists of today (Drake, Weekend, PND, Future, Ty dolla sign..)

After that he gave us MBDTF so everyone kinda forgot that album happened but now i have to admit it was ahead of its time. It still sounds rough and too much experimental at times but i love it.

(Btw the album version of "Robocop" still sucks...so i replaced it with the unmastered version that leaked back then, much better)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: 808s & heartbreaks 7 years later
Oct 11th 2015
nope, i'm talking about this one
Oct 11th 2015
not his best album but probably my favorite album of his
Oct 11th 2015
can you inbox me the unmastered version?
Oct 11th 2015
the greatest aural nyquil ever made
Oct 11th 2015
Oct 12th 2015
I think you got your backpack on too tight dawg
Oct 12th 2015
i used to be a purist like you...in my teens/early 20s
Oct 12th 2015
      RE: i used to be a purist like you...in my teens/early 20s
Oct 12th 2015
           yet you upping moka only album posts, LOFL
Oct 15th 2015
                RE: yet you upping moka only album posts, LOFL
Oct 16th 2015
gets better and better with time.
Oct 12th 2015
Oct 12th 2015
Haha, that was my favorite part!!!
Oct 13th 2015
I would like to drop this lil mash up here....*link*
Oct 12th 2015
Still hate it.
Oct 15th 2015
my 2 cents...
Oct 15th 2015
Garrrrrbitch!!! It was a new sound, it birthed Drake but the album was t...
Oct 16th 2015
I thought it was an appropriate album for Kanye at the time.
Oct 16th 2015
third favorite Ye album behind Graduation and MBDTF
Oct 17th 2015

Mr Teeth
Member since Jun 09th 2009
3642 posts
Sun Oct-11-15 08:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: 808s & heartbreaks 7 years later"
In response to Reply # 0

>(Btw the album version of "Robocop" still sucks...so i
>replaced it with the unmastered version that leaked back then,
>much better)

Are you talking about this version? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhTLaALEMHg

Hellyeah
6507 posts
Sun Oct-11-15 08:45 AM

2. "nope, i'm talking about this one"
In response to Reply # 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjIGi6L-lhE

im_freshhh
Member since Oct 26th 2007
1675 posts
Sun Oct-11-15 01:00 PM

3. "not his best album but probably my favorite album of his"
In response to Reply # 0

i loved it when it dropped & love it now.
it definitely was a few years ahead of its time, with all those artists you mentioned basically making the "808's" style music now.
i wish the video versions of "Paranoid" & "Coldest Winter" were on the album though, i always liked them better than the originals.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast foods.
IG/Twitter: @sammiie_b

justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Sun Oct-11-15 08:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "can you inbox me the unmastered version?"
In response to Reply # 0

i used to have it, now i don't, and you're right about it being so much better, though the album version sounded AMAZING with an orchestra at the hollywood bowl two weeks ago.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18619 posts
Sun Oct-11-15 08:41 PM

5. "the greatest aural nyquil ever made"
In response to Reply # 0

Shit makes me sleep like a baby, for better or worse.

melanon
Member since Oct 21st 2003
2012 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 03:20 AM

6. "RE: 808s & heartbreaks 7 years later"
In response to Reply # 0

Stop memorializing horrific albums that tap danced on the grave of hip hop.

im_freshhh
Member since Oct 26th 2007
1675 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 09:12 AM

7. "I think you got your backpack on too tight dawg"
In response to Reply # 6

_________________________________________________________________________________

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast foods.
IG/Twitter: @sammiie_b

Hellyeah
6507 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 12:30 PM

10. "i used to be a purist like you...in my teens/early 20s"
In response to Reply # 6

thank god i grew up

melanon
2012 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 04:31 PM

12. "RE: i used to be a purist like you...in my teens/early 20s"
In response to Reply # 10

aka you're a toy with bad taste in rap music.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Thu Oct-15-15 12:19 AM

14. "yet you upping moka only album posts, LOFL"
In response to Reply # 12

you on some bullshit

melanon
2012 posts
Fri Oct-16-15 01:58 PM

18. "RE: yet you upping moka only album posts, LOFL"
In response to Reply # 14

You clearly dance with your arms above your head outchea.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85051 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 09:17 AM

8. "gets better and better with time."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7005 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 11:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "RE: 808s & heartbreaks 7 years later"
In response to Reply # 0

I would also argue that the some of the Live versions (err vh1?) was as captivating...

except when he was rolling on the floor singing about 50 cent

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 02:52 PM

13. "Haha, that was my favorite part!!!"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue Oct-13-15 02:53 PM by cbk

>except when he was rolling on the floor singing about 50 cent

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 02:06 PM

11. "I would like to drop this lil mash up here....*link*"
In response to Reply # 0

i wouldnt say i was a huge fan of 808s...but Say You Will intrigued me from the start

it prompted me to make this, it didnt particularly take a massive amount of skills, i feel they blended together well anyway...

but some of the lyrics together blew me away

*show me how deep love can be....
...when i grab your neck, i touch your soul* lol

anyway, check it out:

http://picosong.com/STZb/

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Thu Oct-15-15 02:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "Still hate it. "
In response to Reply # 0

But you're right about that album fathering the styles of the artists you mentioned. Something about those songs, they're kinda dark, moody obviously, and to me they lack the emotional depth they are reaching for. It's mostly aesthetics and atmospherics that looks like being sensitive but usually just sounds whiny.

Also, you're right about it being ahead of it's time so to speak, since so many current artists seem to have inspiration from it, but that doesn't mean that it's good does it?

--------------------

blah blah blah

Busta Rhymes
Member since Mar 04th 2006
116 posts
Thu Oct-15-15 05:02 PM

16. "my 2 cents..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-15-15 05:11 PM by Busta Rhymes

while i won't deny that the album helped usher in an aesthetic that people like drake flat-out 'aped' to launch his career...

song-wise, the album itself was just dud after dud.

a couple of songs that worked (paranoid, heartless, amazing) - 2-3x that amount that flat-out didn't.

what that album did help usher in, and this was extremely negative imo, was critical adulation for merely attempting something 'artistic'.

although, i don't personally think jacking auto-tune r&b the year after the apex of t-pain's run as 00's super-hit maker is 'artistic' in the least; music journalists bought the frame coming from the G.O.O.D. epk without question and proceeded to blow kanye for it...

a la 'kanye is taking risks and HE IS AN ARTIST - so this matters - 9.5/10, etc.'.

not, 'is this actually good?', 'do way more of these songs suck than i actually like?'

it would be like if neil young's 'tron' had received critical adulation for merely attempting something different and overlooking the fact that it was a bloated, pile of dogshit vanity project.

personally, i thought the album was a ploy for kanye to land that long-alluded grammy of the year he'd been aiming for.
a vehicle to generate White mainstream praise.
6 writers per song, 4 co-producers to program a beat that was a kick repeating for 32 bars and some timpani drums on the chorus.
dudes mother had died since his last release and you sort of expect from the album title 'heartbreaks' in that sense he is going to be candid, raw on an actual, ya know, 'heartbreaking' event that occured in his life - and, nope. lol, yet you get him doing a second rate t-pain.

wow, the 'artistry!'...

it was simply too hollywood to do anything for me.

i saw an article on p4k the other day that was a typical factually inaccurate strokejob written by some dweeb who was probably 16 when it came out.

coming off 'graduation' (his best and most popular lp) that album was a complete misstep and he has been sniffing his own farts for th 'artistry' and losing several hundred thousand fans each lp since.

quiet as kept, 808s was the end of his musical prime and popularity - but you'll never get that angle despite sales corroborating it from music 'journalists' because 'artistry!!', you know?

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79499 posts
Fri Oct-16-15 08:49 AM

17. "Garrrrrbitch!!! It was a new sound, it birthed Drake but the album was t..."
In response to Reply # 0

It reminded me of 3000's The Love Below... not sonically but they both sound like 1 or 2 songs were completed and the rest were half assed, rushed ideas thrown together to beat a deadline

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Oct-16-15 02:28 PM

19. "I thought it was an appropriate album for Kanye at the time."
In response to Reply # 0

given what was going on in his life. and you're right, it did set the stage for others to follow in his footsteps. "Street Lights" is still the takeaway from me. I thought it was crazy at first, but in retrospect it makes perfect sense.

I didn't really enjoy My Beautiful Dark Twisted Porcelain Toilet as much as others, however. Yeezus on the other hand...

>(Btw the album version of "Robocop" still sucks...so i
>replaced it with the unmastered version that leaked back then,
>much better)

agreed fully. I think that song is just some bullshit. too... I dunno, "chintzy"?

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sat Oct-17-15 03:05 PM

20. "third favorite Ye album behind Graduation and MBDTF"
In response to Reply # 0

hated it when it dropped, grew to love a few songs, then it hit. only skip like 2-3 songs now a days

it's a classic imo and it's influence (thanks to Cudi) is undeniable

Lobby The Lesson topic #2946981 Previous topic | Next topic