Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2946351

Subject: "Only if Dam-Funk got his albums mixed properly..." Previous topic | Next topic
Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Oct-05-15 05:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Only if Dam-Funk got his albums mixed properly..."

And added some background vocals, his stuff would be amazing. I was listening to Invite the Light and couldn't help thinking how amazing his stuff would be if he just got a proper mix done on his projects.

It's like, everything seems to coming at you straight from the center and there are MANY clashing sounds and frequencies.

It is especially evident during the guitar solo on this outtake:

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/dam-funk-junie-morrison-magic-mp3.html

I know that Stones Throw is very much about the lo fi aesthetic and having their projects reflect closely as possible the artist's original intent, but, nothing wrong with maximizing the the potential of a project with proper mixing.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
there is a post on this track - so why wasn't this a reply in that?
Oct 06th 2015
Because I cot damn chose to...
Oct 06th 2015
      Posts should be supported and not fractured when there's no need
Oct 06th 2015
           Dude, do you not understand?
Oct 06th 2015
                lame is lame
Oct 06th 2015
                     Dude, I'll let you have the last word after this one...
Oct 06th 2015
                          for a recent track, a brief glance on the 2nd page of posts isn't
Oct 06th 2015
I kind of agree.
Oct 07th 2015
Trust me, not saying his music is bad...
Oct 11th 2015
thats how 8os boogie musoc sounds
Oct 07th 2015
^^^
Oct 07th 2015
I laughed out loud. What song was this n what time stamp?
Oct 08th 2015
Shit, I gotta find it now lol.
Oct 09th 2015
RE: I laughed out loud. What song was this n what time stamp?
Oct 14th 2015
That's you...
Oct 11th 2015
      Sounds like a personal problem...
Oct 12th 2015
           It's not a problem.
Oct 13th 2015
Ok, but...
Oct 11th 2015
      he mixed it the way he wanted it to sound
Oct 11th 2015
he spent a lot of time mixing the album with I, CED
Oct 08th 2015
Yep.
Oct 09th 2015
I've always figured as much...
Oct 11th 2015
Check his EP with Snoop for more conventionally mixed Dam-Funk
Oct 09th 2015
Dam-Funk live in Dallas:
Oct 09th 2015
I'm with you on this. I stopped listening after a while
Oct 12th 2015
did you really think thatvreply through all the way?
Oct 12th 2015
I Agree
Oct 14th 2015

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Tue Oct-06-15 11:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "there is a post on this track - so why wasn't this a reply in that?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2946049&mesg_id=2946049&page=2

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Tue Oct-06-15 12:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Because I cot damn chose to..."
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Oct-06-15 12:39 PM by Remedial

Why should I have posted my comment in there? Because I reference the track that you SPECIFICALLY posted about? My issue does not revolve solely around that track. I just posted that track as an example because it is readily available to link.

It's not like you have a monopoly on all Dam-Funk posts...

Your logic is akin to someone making a post about how great a Tribe song is while someone else makes a post on Tribe's discography on a whole which includes a reference to the first poster's "song" along with others and someone saying they should be consolidated.

Come on...

You need to chill bro, you ain't no mod to be questioning cats about what they post and where...

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

c71
13962 posts
Tue Oct-06-15 12:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Posts should be supported and not fractured when there's no need"
In response to Reply # 2

for fracturing.

Fracturing is lame.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Tue Oct-06-15 12:50 PM

4. "Dude, do you not understand?"
In response to Reply # 3

My post and yours are not one in the same and was I supposed to search to find your post before I made mine?

That post surely wasn't on the first page.

This has nothing to do with fracturing.

And you can't FORCE folks to support your post if they don't want to. I've had MANY a post tank and someone else post something quite similar and it skyrockets.

That's the name of the game round here.

c71
13962 posts
Tue Oct-06-15 12:51 PM

5. "lame is lame"
In response to Reply # 4

yep

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Tue Oct-06-15 01:12 PM

6. "Dude, I'll let you have the last word after this one..."
In response to Reply # 5
Tue Oct-06-15 01:13 PM by Remedial

Cause it's obvious that's what you want, and, it's all yours.

But, I'll say this, I laid out pretty well WHY I made my post and even gave you an analogy to show you why your train of thought wasn't functional.

And your only response is to call me lame?

Like a kid?

At least man up and lay out your claim as to why things should be different.

Fracturing is lame?! That's it? Yours was just a fan boy post. You offered nothing in the way of critique, analysis, NOTHING. And you wanted me to start what is basically a whole new post in the comments of your post?

How old are you?

That's all I got to say. Last word is all yours..

c71
13962 posts
Tue Oct-06-15 01:19 PM

7. "for a recent track, a brief glance on the 2nd page of posts isn't"
In response to Reply # 6

too much to ask to avoid fracturing. And fracturing is lame.

I said fracturing is lame in reply #3

"lame is lame" is saying FRACTURING is lame - no matter how it is justified (not calling you personally lame).

The Lesson has gone down from where people remember it was in the not-so-recent past. If the Lesson will get going again, people should say in most cases: "this is a new tract that's out on an artist lot's of people in the Lesson check for, let me look at a page of posts to SEE if there's a recent post about this artist.

In a recent post on such an artist, a person in a reply should then add whatever new twist they want to on the artist. A new dimension, etc.

If the Lesson is going to improve, replying to a post in the ballpark on a recent thing, rather than making a new post just from a different angle should be the norm.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 01:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "I kind of agree."
In response to Reply # 0

there's always something a lil "off" about his music but I enjoy it all the same.

There is one song where he wasn't fooling around though, and that was his cover of Prince's "17 Days", which I adore.

as much as I do the rest of that single ("I Don't Want To Be A Star!")

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Sun Oct-11-15 04:11 PM

19. "Trust me, not saying his music is bad..."
In response to Reply # 8

>there's always something a lil "off" about his music but I
>enjoy it all the same.
>
>There is one song where he wasn't fooling around though, and
>that was his cover of Prince's "17 Days", which I adore.
>
>as much as I do the rest of that single ("I Don't Want To Be A
>Star!")

I've been a fan since the Baron Zen Burn Rubber Remix. I just would like to hear it a little more refined sonically...

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18116 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 06:14 PM

9. "thats how 8os boogie musoc sounds"
In response to Reply # 0

And thats what he does. Nothing wrong with his music. Bigger sounding doesn't equate to better.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 06:44 PM

10. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 9

I think it adds character to the music. I even heard one mistake on
there, a bad keyboard note and I loved it. All his shit is still one
take all the way through.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 05:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "I laughed out loud. What song was this n what time stamp?"
In response to Reply # 10

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Fri Oct-09-15 07:14 AM

13. "Shit, I gotta find it now lol."
In response to Reply # 12

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Wed Oct-14-15 05:04 PM

27. "RE: I laughed out loud. What song was this n what time stamp?"
In response to Reply # 12

I wanna say it's on O.B.E. Don't know the time stamp tho lol.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Sun Oct-11-15 04:08 PM

18. "That's you..."
In response to Reply # 10

>I think it adds character to the music. I even heard one
>mistake on
>there, a bad keyboard note and I loved it. All his shit is
>still one
>take all the way through.

I would personally rather a performance that is perfected and a sound that is the best that can be achieved within the budget available.

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 12:45 PM

22. "Sounds like a personal problem..."
In response to Reply # 18

U don't sound like a fan, and that's cool that's been his sound from
day one.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 02:07 PM

25. "It's not a problem."
In response to Reply # 22
Tue Oct-13-15 02:07 PM by Remedial

>U don't sound like a fan, and that's cool that's been his
>sound from
>day one.

Just an opinion and, just because I would like to hear a better mix does not make a non-fan. I've been a fan.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Sun Oct-11-15 04:07 PM

17. "Ok, but..."
In response to Reply # 9

>And thats what he does. Nothing wrong with his music. Bigger
>sounding doesn't equate to better.

My thing is, 80s boogie music sounded like that because that's was probably the limitations of the gear that they had available to them at the time.

Your argument is similar to that of Beatles fans who keep clamoring for music to go back to what it sounded like during their heyday. One counter to that was, what the Beatles were using when they recorded their most popular albums WAS bleeding edge and the most hi-tech equipment they could get their hands on at the time.

So, I'm kind of mixed on cats trying to keep it so "real" that they are willing to sacrifice quality in order to stick to some creed.

Garhart Poppwell
18116 posts
Sun Oct-11-15 06:27 PM

21. "he mixed it the way he wanted it to sound"
In response to Reply # 17

You mix your music the way you want it to sound. It was done intentionally. If you think it would sound better doing it another way, that is totally fine. But the album sounds great as is and making it more up to whatever today's standard might be wouldn't necessarily make it sound better. More contemporary, perhaps, but not better.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

KennyFresh
Member since Mar 16th 2005
8362 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 05:28 PM

11. "he spent a lot of time mixing the album with I, CED"
In response to Reply # 0

so i think it's safe to assume that the sound of the end result was very much intentional.

Fresh Selects: http://soundcloud.com/freshselects

Iman Omari - High-Loops & Higher-Loops http://bit.ly/FSX-006
SiR - Seven Sundays http://bit.ly/FSX-007

Tight Songs radio show http://mixcloud.com/freshselects

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Fri Oct-09-15 07:14 AM

14. "Yep."
In response to Reply # 11

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Sun Oct-11-15 04:12 PM

20. "I've always figured as much..."
In response to Reply # 11

>so i think it's safe to assume that the sound of the end
>result was very much intentional.

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Fri Oct-09-15 07:15 AM

15. "Check his EP with Snoop for more conventionally mixed Dam-Funk"
In response to Reply # 0

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Fri Oct-09-15 07:38 AM

16. "Dam-Funk live in Dallas:"
In response to Reply # 0

So good lol.

https://soundcloud.com/too-fresh-productions/d-m-funk-live-in-dallas-tx-the

soulsike
Member since Jul 20th 2002
2562 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 07:16 PM

23. "I'm with you on this. I stopped listening after a while"
In response to Reply # 0

I know he makes music I like, but the mix is trash and I can't listen if he doesn't respect his output enough to treat it properly.

Miss me w/ the "he meant it" or "80s sounded like", too. If that's the case, he just doesn't have the ear to mix. Not all creators have that ability; that's fine.

Let Quik mix a DamFunk record and I'll be in the middle of the dance floor, shit. Let him do a one-off on Brainfeeder instead of Stones Throw and he'll never look back.

Garhart Poppwell
18116 posts
Mon Oct-12-15 08:05 PM

24. "did you really think thatvreply through all the way?"
In response to Reply # 23

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Wed Oct-14-15 05:06 AM

26. "I Agree"
In response to Reply # 23

I'm a fan of the stereo sound myself, I don't mind the mix in mono but record in stereo sounds, and yeah it has a sound onto itself but it seems more like he doesn't hear it sounding muddy or overlapping in sonics verses "oh he's doing it on purpose for an old school sound" and everyone needs to quit saying that r&b kats didn't have use of good equipment cause they did and 90% of funk didn't sound flat or in mono maybe if you transfer your vinyl to some cheap turntable without e.q.ing it first to mp3 then yeah it would sound all upfront and flat.

I dig Dam-Funk's music but not so much that his output mixdowns don't vibe, I love the collaboration with Snoop (which got me wondering he they had somebody else to do the recordings verses Dam himself).

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Lobby The Lesson topic #2946351 Previous topic | Next topic