Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2944094

Subject: "So Hold Up...Yall Aint Like NOTHING On Ma$e's Double Up?" Previous topic | Next topic
13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Fri Sep-11-15 09:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"So Hold Up...Yall Aint Like NOTHING On Ma$e's Double Up?"

When the boy Murder retired from the game his second album was either about to drop or just dropped. The reception was kinda luke warm because the game got way more aggressive with DMX at the top. When I first heard Double Up I didn't think it was a smash but I did like a good amount of the records. It seems like I'm the only one.

The first record at radio "Stay Out My Way" with the Madonna sample was heat IMO. Get Ready with Blackstreet was dope but might have been a year too late. The slow tempo joints like Make Me Cry and Same Niggas were good. Especially the latter. If You Want To Party goes on some Harlem shit.

Ultimately I want to know why this album was generally panned by the people.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: So Hold Up...Yall Aint Like NOTHING On Ma$e's Double Up?
Sep 11th 2015
You Aint Smart is my joint
Sep 11th 2015
So I was JUST thinking about this as I made my 99 mix
Sep 11th 2015
RE: So I was JUST thinking about this as I made my 99 mix
Sep 11th 2015
Shitt, and it was the Tunnel era. And could you go to like the Premo typ...
Sep 11th 2015
      RE: Shitt, and it was the Tunnel era. And could you go to like the Premo...
Sep 11th 2015
Reading that made me miss diversity so much.
Sep 12th 2015
I remember liking Blood Is Thicker and Make Me Cry
Sep 11th 2015
He made a lot of money on the first go round
Sep 12th 2015
      Elaborate on this, please.
Sep 12th 2015
           Hot 97 interview where Ma$e and Cam and Jim Jones discuss the issues
Sep 12th 2015
Wasn't into the Bad Boy party records much at the time, but in retrospec...
Sep 12th 2015

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Fri Sep-11-15 10:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: So Hold Up...Yall Aint Like NOTHING On Ma$e's Double Up?"
In response to Reply # 0

He had several cuts I dug

Stay Out of My Way
Make Me Cry
Same Niggas <- My shit!
Another Story to Tell
You Ain't Smart <- My other joint!
All I Ever Wanted

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Fri Sep-11-15 10:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "You Aint Smart is my joint"
In response to Reply # 1

Even with the sneak Jay diss.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri Sep-11-15 11:25 AM

3. "So I was JUST thinking about this as I made my 99 mix"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-11-15 11:29 AM by -DJ R-Tistic-

The game changed a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT from 97-99, even 98-99. ESPECIALLY for New York.

The East Coast in 99 had Da Rockwilda, Quiet storm, even more DMX and Ruff Ryders hits like Party up, the Vol. 2 Jay songs in rotation like Hard knock life and Jigga what, Simon Says, those party drops like Be faithful (You got a 100 bill throw ya hands up!), Jigga my nigga, Nas is like, Biggie Dead wrong, ODB Got your money, The next movement, Ms. Fat Booty, 50 Cent's "Life's on the line" and "How to rob."

And that's just the East....the South's whole sound was darker, slower, and bouncier, and they REALLY came in strong that year. Left right left, Who dat, Get rich to this, Bling Bling, Cash Money is an army, Back that azz up/400 Degreez finally getting recognized since it came in 98, and then the more Regional/club tracks like Slob on my knob and We ready (Pastor troy).

Just listening to all those........there was no longer a place for the Jiggy Rap that came in strong in 97. Not only this, but the songs on Double up just weren't touching ANYHTHING commercially/club wise that Bad Boy had in 97-98...No Benjamins, Mo money mo problems, Feels so good, Been around the world, Can't hold me down....nah. Tracks like "If you want to party" just didn't have that "it" to it, and felt burnt out by 99...the hook was horrible, even worse than "If you think I'm jiggy." An artist like Mase at the time thrived on his commercial appeal and hits on that side, so once that dried up...he was a wrap, sadly.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Fri Sep-11-15 11:36 AM

4. "RE: So I was JUST thinking about this as I made my 99 mix"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri Sep-11-15 11:36 AM by double 0

I tell you...

This was a fun ass time to be a DJ...

In Philly to be able to go from Jiggy shit To Swizz Beatz to Cash Money to Gogo to Reggae to some Luke to Sporty Theivz

lotta foggy ass house parties mang..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri Sep-11-15 11:37 AM

5. "Shitt, and it was the Tunnel era. And could you go to like the Premo typ..."
In response to Reply # 4

Hip Hop too? Or even a Roots "Dynamite?"

>I tell you...
>
>This was a fun ass time to be a DJ...
>
>In Philly to be able to go from Jiggy shit To Swizz Beatz to
>Cash Money to Gogo to Reggae to some Luke to Sporty Theivz
>
>lotta foggy ass house parties mang..

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Fri Sep-11-15 03:37 PM

7. "RE: Shitt, and it was the Tunnel era. And could you go to like the Premo..."
In response to Reply # 5

That I did not play.. lol..

but mad Rawkus tho

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Sat Sep-12-15 05:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Reading that made me miss diversity so much."
In response to Reply # 3

People were doing all types a shit in 99....but was still winning. Pretty much from then until The Blueprint anything goes in terms of singles.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18644 posts
Fri Sep-11-15 03:36 PM

6. "I remember liking Blood Is Thicker and Make Me Cry"
In response to Reply # 0

All I Ever Wanted was cool as well, to me that would've had the best chance commercially if it would've gotten a video.

They didn't push that album at all after it dropped, because Mase retired right when it was dropping. I believe "Get Ready" was the only video made for that album.

The few other commercial attempts like "Do It Again" with Puff were just awful songs IMO.

I remember being surprised by how bitter Mase came across on a lot of that album.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Sat Sep-12-15 02:17 AM

8. "He made a lot of money on the first go round"
In response to Reply # 6

But he also made a lot of enemies. Especially in Harlem shit got bad. It sucks to me because I think dude could really rap and was unique. Guess he just wasn't meant to last. He still got it honestly. People just don't wanna hear him. That G-Unit mixtape had HEAT on it too.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Sat Sep-12-15 07:47 AM

10. "Elaborate on this, please."
In response to Reply # 8
Sat Sep-12-15 07:48 AM by Brew

>But he also made a lot of enemies. Especially in Harlem shit
>got bad.

^^^^ I'm interested to know more. I haven't exactly gone out of my way to research the subject all that much so the whole Mase retirement/post-Bad Boy life is somewhat of a mystery to me outside of the well-reported-on stuff like the G-Unit comeback, etc.

>It sucks to me because I think dude could really rap
>and was unique. Guess he just wasn't meant to last. He still
>got it honestly. People just don't wanna hear him. That G-Unit
>mixtape had HEAT on it too.

Yea I like Mase, always have.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13967 posts
Sat Sep-12-15 09:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Hot 97 interview where Ma$e and Cam and Jim Jones discuss the issues"
In response to Reply # 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s509nAULeAc

fatboybrandon
Member since May 15th 2010
180 posts
Sat Sep-12-15 07:48 AM

11. "Wasn't into the Bad Boy party records much at the time, but in retrospec..."
In response to Reply # 0

I can appreciate Mase's place for what it was and their contribution set a social tone for NYC that I remember. I'm a Harlem resident since the mid 80's. From a collector standpoint I remember feeling like I'd rather go listen to other artists like Nas, Timbaland or DMX if I want to be impressed by a party record. In comparison to those artists I felt something was lacking in Mase's music although Mase and Bad Boy had their own sound and could be enjoyed while at the party. I also remember being more rebellious to Bad Boy then than I am now because I was immersed in the underground indie Hip Hop movement of the time living in Fat Beats Record store. I have yet to hear Double Up in it's entirety, I felt like I was already overwhelmed with his music at the time it came out from neighborhood play.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2944094 Previous topic | Next topic