Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2942695

Subject: "Lupe Fiasco: The Return Of Lasers - #WellBoggleMeGiblets" Previous topic | Next topic
atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 04:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Lupe Fiasco: The Return Of Lasers - #WellBoggleMeGiblets"

https://www.facebook.com/LupeFiasco/photos/a.244117472281.146601.8128837281/10152926054262282/?type=1&theater

My 3rd musically related thing I want to accomplish this year is not to make another album but to do something waaaay stupider...I want to unmake an album. I watched the ATARI E.T. documentary and got inspired. So here's my idea. For all you people who really hated my 3rd album LASERS for whatever reason in the universe I want you to send it back to me so I can destroy it with an actual Laser. You not getting any money back or an apology or anything like that. The fact still remains that a lot of people really loved LASERS (Me Included) despite the popular myth that it's one of the worst rap albums ever but sometimes the myth can be stronger than the truth. So yeah....if you have a physical copy of LASERS that you absolutely hate and wish for it to be rendered non-existent then you can send it back to me and I'll have it destroyed with an actual giant laser and send it into next world in spectacular grand fashion!

If your down hit me up in the comments or on Twitter with the hashtag #TheReturnOfLasers and if we get enough #LaserHaters willing to have their physical copy destroyed then will do it on New Year's Day 2016!!! To you #LaserLovers out there with physical copies just sit back and enjoy the craziness that's about to happen lol... This is a #WellBoggleMeGiblets© production

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Lupe sure changed his tune on that album
Aug 31st 2015
Yeah he did
Aug 31st 2015
meh, seems pretty consistent/reconcilable to me
Aug 31st 2015
Fuck that...Lasers is dope to me
Aug 31st 2015
Seems like a weird/smart strategy. This is what is playing out:
Aug 31st 2015
I love this
Aug 31st 2015
lupe fiasco - lost in the atlantic (bootleg)
Aug 31st 2015
Good lookin out
Aug 31st 2015
lasers isn't even bad
Sep 01st 2015

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 04:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Lupe sure changed his tune on that album"
In response to Reply # 0

“One thing I try to stress about this project is, I love and hate this album. I listen to it and I’ll like some of the songs. But when I think about what it took to actually get the record together and everything that I went through on this record—which is something I can’t separate—I hate this album. A lot of the songs that are on the album, I’m kinda neutral to. Not that I don’t like them, or that I hate them, it’s just I know the process that went behind it. I know the sneaky business deal that went down behind this song, or the artist or singer or songwriter who wrote this hook and didn’t want to give me this song in the first place. So when I have that kind of knowledge behind it, I’m just kind of neutral to it like, ‘Another day, another dollar.’ As opposed something like The Cool, which is more of my own blood, sweat, and tears, and my own control. With this record, I’m little bit more neutral as to the love for the record."

http://www.complex.com/music/2011/02/interview-lupe-fiasco-hates-lasers

The process of finishing “Lasers” he described with words one hates to hear from a creative artist. He “hunkered down” and “got through it.” He “went along,” he “acquiesced.” He “found some emotional distance from the music.” He “lost those aspirations.”

“I am a hostage,” Fiasco said. “I gave them what they wanted. If I didn’t, at the end of the day the album wasn’t coming out.”

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/800209/lupe-fiasco-i-am-a-hostage-struggles-through-difficult-creative-process-for-new-lasers-album

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Ketchums
Member since Jan 30th 2005
3417 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 05:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Yeah he did"
In response to Reply # 1

That's not to say that he can't change his mind though. We can change our mind about albums as listeners, he should be able to as an artist

----

https://weketchum.contently.com/

husam
Member since Aug 26th 2007
501 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 06:01 PM

3. "meh, seems pretty consistent/reconcilable to me"
In response to Reply # 1

in his own words, he loved it then and he loves it now

makes sense that he would hate it less now...I'm sure the pain that went into it was a lot fresher back then

factor in the triumph he must be feeling after bouncing back from all that bs and I'm sure it's real easy to forget whatever negativeness he may have once felt towards it

shit I know I've moved on, lol, but lemme get off my stan shit...

Anonymous
Charter member
23229 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 07:09 PM

4. "Fuck that...Lasers is dope to me"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Aug-31-15 07:13 PM by Anonymous

It's not his best nor is it my style but it's a cohesive piece and he kills the mic as usual.

And yeah...the hook to Words I Never Said sucked but..."Limbaugh is a racist, Glen Beck is a racist / The Gaza Strip was getting bombed, Obama didn't say shit"

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 08:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Seems like a weird/smart strategy. This is what is playing out:"
In response to Reply # 0

- He's releasing music that an entire generation of rap fan
hasn't ever heard anything close to, in an era where "lyrical"
is J-Cole being 30+ and spitting high school prom rhymes (and
I don't hate Cole, but it's true), and has firmly distanced
himself from everyone else in the artform by many miles

- He's wildly overstating the negative response to 'Lasers',
which people didn't hate nearly as much as he is suggesting
(I think he knows this)

- Because of this, people will reach back, listen to 'Lasers'
and realize that most of the complaints weren't necessary or valid
Even if you don't love it, it was hardly worth the ire that
it received...and is pretty fucking great in some places

- By doing this, he's essentially hitting full reboot. He'll
almost certainly release something this year that will tear our
souls apart again. He'll have showed contrition of the "blemish" on
his record as an artist

Not really necessary, but it will almost certainly end up
working in his favor

Some people are just from the future. Lupe is one of them.

I'm just grateful for the music.

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 09:00 PM

6. "I love this"
In response to Reply # 0

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 10:14 PM

7. "lupe fiasco - lost in the atlantic (bootleg)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/RbFbqg5.png

all the loosies dropped between F&L2 and T&Y

RWQ

"you're all welcome" © frank white

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 11:24 PM

8. "Good lookin out"
In response to Reply # 7

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4551 posts
Tue Sep-01-15 12:27 PM

9. "lasers isn't even bad"
In response to Reply # 0

the production makes it sound so forced
but he still rapped his ass off

Lobby The Lesson topic #2942695 Previous topic | Next topic