Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2942687

Subject: "Happy 10th Anniversary of Late Registration (soulhead.com)" Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 01:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Happy 10th Anniversary of Late Registration (soulhead.com)"

A handful of years before we were inundated with the latest news and shenanigans of Mr. Kardashian, paparazzi & gossip magnet, there was simply Kanye West. Producer turned producer-emcee, plain and simple. Even before his first-class tickets to fame, fortune and media infamy were punched forever, Kanye had seemingly always possessed a larger-than-life presence, replete with a super-sized dose of ambition and arrogance. But there was indeed a time earlier in his career—and not too long ago, mind you—when the quality of Kanye’s musical output superseded his cocksure, ubiquitous persona.

Indeed, Kanye’s first three albums are fantastic. Each song suite is a masterclass in near-flawless synergy between sonic, lyrical and thematic substance, with West’s unbridled passion and vision the creative lifeblood that courses through the albums’ excellent tunes.
But somewhere along the way, at least for me, Kanye’s music lost its luster and vivacity. Granted, with 2008’s 808s & Heartbreak and 2010’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, his sound became even more innovative and experimental in many respects, and he was subsequently even more universally venerated by critics and consumers alike. Admittedly, I respect Kanye’s aversion to the tried-and-true approach and his commitment to constantly evolving his sound.

However, with his ever-expanding dependence on auto-tune and relatively bland beats, his music has become progressively more insipid, devoid of the vibrancy that defined his earlier work. I find his most recent fare (“Runaway” and “Only One” are prime examples) stagnant and boring. However, remarkably, and proof that Kanye has the power to sway even the most skeptical of minds (i.e., mine), I still hold out hope that his next musical move will revive my faith. Naïve optimism on my part, quite possibly.

Kanye’s solo chapter of his recording career followed the prologue of a prolific production run in the late 1990s and early 2000s, a period during which he served as Roc-A-Fella Records’ in-house sonic whiz.

His earliest production credits most notably include four of the thirteen tracks on label co-founder Jay-Z’s universally lauded 2001 LP The Blueprint, solid work that would earn him subsequent collaborations with the likes of Talib Kweli, Ludacris and Alicia Keys, among others. Regrettably, Kanye’s all-star production skills actually pigeonholed him with certain expectations and undermined his ability to get a solo recording deal, as it took some time for labels to take him seriously as an emcee. He ultimately remained with Roc-A-Fella, though Damon Dash and Jay-Z were allegedly somewhat skeptical about his viability as a rapper.

http://www.soulhead.com/2015/08/30/longplaylove-kanye-west-late-registration-celebrating-10-years-by-justin-chadwick-full-album-stream/#more-31840

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
it's been 10 years already...damn time is FLYING!!!!
Aug 31st 2015
Not one of his albums held up...
Aug 31st 2015
Not one of his albums have been held up by a bank robber
Sep 01st 2015
College Dropout and parts of Graduation haven't aged welll...
Sep 01st 2015
10 years. Holy hell.
Sep 01st 2015
My favorite Ye album
Sep 01st 2015
mine too...
Sep 01st 2015
RE: Happy 10th Anniversary of Late Registration (soulhead.com)
Sep 01st 2015
well, "gone" is good.
Sep 01st 2015
cool Youtube vid to add along with the post
Sep 01st 2015
my favorite Kanye album, i played that shit to death back in 05
Sep 02nd 2015
2nd best Kanye album ever behind Graduation
Sep 02nd 2015
I don't get the hype over Graduation...
Sep 02nd 2015
      RE: I don't get the hype over Graduation...
Sep 02nd 2015
      RE: I don't get the hype over Graduation...
Sep 02nd 2015
Shout out to Tony Yayo...
Sep 02nd 2015
RE: Shout out to Tony Yayo...
Sep 02nd 2015
STEVEN SEGAL, I USED TO LOVE HIS KARATE
Sep 02nd 2015
Also So Seductive still goes
Sep 02nd 2015
kanye won me over with LR, and...
Sep 02nd 2015
In hindsight the best Yeezy album
Sep 02nd 2015

liveguy
Member since Jan 01st 2004
8002 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 05:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "it's been 10 years already...damn time is FLYING!!!! "
In response to Reply # 0

We see through all that boo boo like it's ghost shit... (c) Quelle Chris

| http://liveguy.bandcamp.com |
| www.soundcloud.com/liveguy |
| www.twitter.com/liveguy |
| www.instagram.com/theREALliveguy |
| XBOX ONE GT: theREALliveguy |

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 07:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Not one of his albums held up..."
In response to Reply # 0

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Tue Sep-01-15 12:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Not one of his albums have been held up by a bank robber"
In response to Reply # 2

but all of his albums are still dope.

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Tue Sep-01-15 06:43 PM

8. "College Dropout and parts of Graduation haven't aged welll..."
In response to Reply # 2

Late Registration is still amazing. "Gone" might still be Ye's best song.

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Sep-01-15 07:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "10 years. Holy hell."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Sep-01-15 08:02 AM by Brew

Remember this album dropping like it was yesterday.

Then Graduation dropped this morning.

Time fucking flies.

Anyway that was a cool read about one of his best albums (I still prefer Graduation but Late Reg is a close second). I love the Jon Brion story, always have. Crazy to think that Kanye was actually humble at one point. And made good music.

The two below paragraphs in that article are literally my exact thoughts about Kanye's career. The author and I could not possibly have more similar thoughts.

"But somewhere along the way, at least for me, Kanye’s music lost its luster and vivacity. Granted, with 2008’s 808s & Heartbreak and 2010’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, his sound became even more innovative and experimental in many respects, and he was subsequently even more universally venerated by critics and consumers alike. Admittedly, I respect Kanye’s aversion to the tried-and-true approach and his commitment to constantly evolving his sound.
However, with his ever-expanding dependence on auto-tune and relatively bland beats, his music has become progressively more insipid, devoid of the vibrancy that defined his earlier work. I find his most recent fare (“Runaway” and “Only One” are prime examples) stagnant and boring. However, remarkably, and proof that Kanye has the power to sway even the most skeptical of minds (i.e., mine), I still hold out hope that his next musical move will revive my faith. Naïve optimism on my part, quite possibly."

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Sep-01-15 08:21 AM

5. "My favorite Ye album"
In response to Reply # 0

The only thing I didn't like are the skits. Glad he got rid of those on the following album.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Tue Sep-01-15 11:39 AM

6. "mine too..."
In response to Reply # 5

the skits were an improvement from College Dropout though...

melanon
Member since Oct 21st 2003
2012 posts
Tue Sep-01-15 11:55 AM

7. "RE: Happy 10th Anniversary of Late Registration (soulhead.com)"
In response to Reply # 0

The whitest sounding rap album ever made.

quatto
Member since Jul 02nd 2010
435 posts
Tue Sep-01-15 07:35 PM

9. "well, "gone" is good."
In response to Reply # 0

this is when i realized he would never be a good rapper

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Tue Sep-01-15 07:55 PM

10. "cool Youtube vid to add along with the post"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKIPEca_fxY

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 11:24 AM

11. "my favorite Kanye album, i played that shit to death back in 05"
In response to Reply # 0

i remember the day it leaked, quest had posted in the lesson asking for a link to the joint. i downloaded that shit to my PNY jumpdrive and threw it on my 20G ipod with the clickwheel.

Listening to that album takes me back to 05-06. A lot of shit happened in one year for me.

i remember being over my grandmothers house and "Heard em say" video was on and she said "I like that. I can actually understand what he's saying"
Or me being in the hospital for 3 weeks after having surgery lisening to that album in the hospital bed.

'celebration' is still one of my favorite Kanye joints.

damn, i'm about to listen to that shit right now.

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 11:58 AM

12. "2nd best Kanye album ever behind Graduation"
In response to Reply # 0

Other than too many skits and the Brandy song, I like the rest of the album.

I'm still amused and entertained by current-day Kanye, but like most folks I miss the Kanye of College Dropout through Graduation (sound and demeanor).

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

Crash85
Member since May 08th 2007
7288 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 12:06 PM

13. "I don't get the hype over Graduation..."
In response to Reply # 12

Only on OKP have I ever read anyone saying the Graduation is Ye's best album... In my opinion, LR is easily his best album...

16580 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 12:17 PM

15. "RE: I don't get the hype over Graduation..."
In response to Reply # 13

Graduation is the best by default in a way. He cut out those annoying ass skits on that album. LR is still my favorite though.

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 12:30 PM

17. "RE: I don't get the hype over Graduation..."
In response to Reply # 13

>Only on OKP have I ever read anyone saying the Graduation is
>Ye's best album... In my opinion, LR is easily his best
>album...

Grad is a tighter package to me with no skits and no songs I feel compelled to skip. I like the shorter run time and less guests. It had the right balance of Kanye pomp, honesty, assholeness, and experimentation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying LR is drastically less of an album. It and Graduation are the two I revisit the most and both have fun memories tied to them.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

Crash85
Member since May 08th 2007
7288 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 12:11 PM

14. "Shout out to Tony Yayo..."
In response to Reply # 0

Thoughts of a Predicate Felon came out the same day as Late Registration... My friend and I went to the record store and was like, "I'll buy one, you buy one and we'll burn each other copies..." My lame ass grabbed that Yayo deluxe album up so quick... Hahaha... Maaaaan, that shit was horrible except maybe 3-4 songs... Documentary it came with was pretty funny though... "What is this? Is this chinchilla?!?!"

16580 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 12:18 PM

16. "RE: Shout out to Tony Yayo..."
In response to Reply # 14

>Thoughts of a Predicate Felon came out the same day as Late
>Registration... My friend and I went to the record store and
>was like, "I'll buy one, you buy one and we'll burn each other
>copies..." My lame ass grabbed that Yayo deluxe album up so
>quick... Hahaha... Maaaaan, that shit was horrible except
>maybe 3-4 songs... Documentary it came with was pretty funny
>though... "What is this? Is this chinchilla?!?!"

lol "Homicide" was a banger though

Stadium Status
Member since Sep 03rd 2007
1155 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 07:26 PM

19. "STEVEN SEGAL, I USED TO LOVE HIS KARATE"

BUT EVEN HE SNITCHED, HE TOLD ON PETER GOTTI!

A one-stop page for new content from former Grantland-ers: https://twitter.com/grantlander33

Stadium Status
1155 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 07:28 PM

20. "Also So Seductive still goes"

A one-stop page for new content from former Grantland-ers: https://twitter.com/grantlander33

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 04:17 PM

18. "kanye won me over with LR, and..."
In response to Reply # 0

...addressing homophobia in rap in his mtv interview with sway

AND

...his bush rant on the televised Katrina benefit.

those three things permanently locked me into kanye, as an artist, as a public figure/entertainer. he had no fear. that's inspiring.

I thought "college droupout" was cool. really solid production. rapping was okay, clever at times, but uneven. but LR made me go back and REALLY appreciate its impact and kanye's whole persona (I don't wanna call it "schtick" cuz I think he takes it all VERY seriously).

but LR came in and just blew me away. i had an idea in my head as to what a bigger sophomore effort would sound like from him, but he just exceeded all that by a mile. i had to stop what i was doing when I first heard "we major." so much ear candy going on, so many colors. he got jon brion??? I was a huge Fiona fan, with "when the pawn" being one of my favs of all time. and Michel Gondry plays drums on "diamonds"??? two people I'd never expect to hear on a hip-hop record, and it all worked.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

Stadium Status
1155 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 07:36 PM

21. "In hindsight the best Yeezy album"
In response to Reply # 0

There's at least six or seven perfect songs on here and a few more very good ones. Should probably go down as one of the best albums of all time. I might be the only person in the world who prefers the original Diamonds to the remix but I thought the social message seemed a little forced (though it did set up a precedent of him changing tracks at the last minute, for better or worse).

But I mean great lyrics, great flow, good diversity of topics, absolutely lush production and a sense of humor that encourages replaybility - this album was fantastic and deserves all of the accolades it received both past and present

Lobby The Lesson topic #2942687 Previous topic | Next topic