Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2942388

Subject: "Prince Calls Founder Of Yourlisten. Prince Is Stuck In The Past?" Previous topic | Next topic
Osyrus
Member since Feb 28th 2006
285 posts
Fri Aug-28-15 06:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Prince Calls Founder Of Yourlisten. Prince Is Stuck In The Past?"

Prince just can't GET IT. He just can't or will not understand the importance of youtube and digital distribution and the internet as a whole. https://medium.com/@ScottGYourListen/that-time-prince-called-23a2d8cdbe3b

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I Feel Bad For Him
Aug 28th 2015
I wonder if u would make this....
Aug 29th 2015
to be fair, wasn't her thing about
Aug 31st 2015
RE: to be fair, wasn't her thing about
Aug 31st 2015
RE: I wonder if u would make this....
Aug 31st 2015
Prince doesn't need free promotion!!!
Aug 29th 2015
not a prob with what he said...
Aug 31st 2015
i don't think you get it
Aug 31st 2015
Spotify was only paying approximately $0.14 cents per 1,000 streams
Aug 31st 2015
It's about ears reached, not spins
Aug 31st 2015

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri Aug-28-15 11:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I Feel Bad For Him"
In response to Reply # 0

He really thinks that he can get paid for streaming like radio stations and music video stations use to pay back in the day, even now both mediums don't pay the amount they use to pay.

He really thinks he can stop internet from sharing his music, if he wasn't good in the first place nobody would give a damn but that's not the case, his unreleased & live material is shared more than the retail product which every artist which they had a internet presence like that.

The part about Prince saying that he had his music stolen is such a lie, we all know he's the one that's been leaking his own music for decades, but if that's what he wants to keep telling people than let 'em but we ain't dumb.

Maybe one day he will just face the facts and stop trying to fight so hard that endless battle.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Sat Aug-29-15 01:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I wonder if u would make this...."
In response to Reply # 0

Same about Taylor Swift?

I saw nothing but hi fives when she took on Spotify....

To be real the only time I had an issue with Prince is when he was going after fan sites and the way he swarms over YouTube which to me is still the best free promotion an artist can get. But streaming services? Thats a whole other deal. Anyway, heres a more up to date view on where Prince stands on streaming. He seems to be happy with his Tidal deal. Probably the most sane and down to earth hes come off in a minute...

Link: http://www.ebony.com/entertainment-culture/prince-makes-king-move-with-tidal-interview-999#.VeH4PKMpDJs

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 12:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "to be fair, wasn't her thing about"
In response to Reply # 2

>Same about Taylor Swift?
>
>I saw nothing but hi fives when she took on Spotify....
>
>To be real the only time I had an issue with Prince is when he
>was going after fan sites and the way he swarms over YouTube
>which to me is still the best free promotion an artist can
>get. But streaming services? Thats a whole other deal. Anyway,
>heres a more up to date view on where Prince stands on
>streaming. He seems to be happy with his Tidal deal. Probably
>the most sane and down to earth hes come off in a minute...

the compensation (or lack thereof) artists were getting from those streaming sites? I think what Prince is on about is a little different here...

I also believe Prince was bogus for removing his music (or at least the "Prince" branded music) from the "official" Youtube channels (the ones that are tied to artists and have the hashtag?)

Youtube is like the free-est of free promo nowadays. not to mention the easiest.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 12:54 PM

6. "RE: to be fair, wasn't her thing about"
In response to Reply # 4

>the compensation (or lack thereof) artists were getting from
>those streaming sites? I think what Prince is on about is a
>little different here...

Nope....While Prince mentioned his continued fight to "control" his work he def pointed out his beef with steaming services lack of fair compensation just like Swift. And again, he got the side eye on this while everyone kisses T Swizzle's ass. I just find that interesting...

>I also believe Prince was bogus for removing his music (or at
>least the "Prince" branded music) from the "official" Youtube
>channels (the ones that are tied to artists and have the
>hashtag?)

That's been my BIGGEST beef with him...His lack of understanding that YouTube could be the ultimate gateway drug for him in terms of being introduced to this generation....He's fucking up big time on this....

>Youtube is like the free-est of free promo nowadays. not to
>mention the easiest.

Yep...I agree....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7005 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 04:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "RE: I wonder if u would make this...."
In response to Reply # 2

Both their stances are problematic...

They both seek control and trying to maximize the profit they see with physical releases but Prince's seemed crazy because he's trying to erase shit off the entire internet...

But Scott Borchetta let us know why Swift had an issue... They wanted premium ONLY and Spotify said no... so they acted up..

In the end there was no fallout and Swift's public spat on increased Spotify userbase

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

ToeJam
Charter member
2102 posts
Sat Aug-29-15 10:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Prince doesn't need free promotion!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Cats are making money off his shit, time for a cut. Period. Not hard to understand. There is money being made, just not making to the artists...

revolution75
Member since May 07th 2003
3372 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 12:42 PM

5. "not a prob with what he said..."
In response to Reply # 0

I have a problem with him not listening to the dude or anyone else for that matter when it comes to his music..released and unreleased

It ain't about Tidal...

It's about him

Eclectic Soul/Sunday, 2-4 PM est/89.3 WCSB.ORG

kaori_dalessio
Member since Aug 14th 2002
1252 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 01:44 PM

7. "i don't think you get it"
In response to Reply # 0

Streaming and the payments they offer to musicians amounts to legalized slavery. In short, the creators of the music make virtually NO money on streaming sites, but their labels make the lion share of money.

Prince is independent and he knows people aren't paying for CDs or downloads anymore, so he wants to profit off of his creation, and who could blame him.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 01:56 PM

8. "Spotify was only paying approximately $0.14 cents per 1,000 streams"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Aug-31-15 01:58 PM by bentagain

I'm with Prince on this one, I think...

if we're talking about copyrighted material

yeah, I would say it's on you to make sure that you or your users have permission, meet the legal standard, etc...for uploading that material to your site

I posted this in another thread

but when you think about it, radio is just a streaming service

I don't understand why artists can't get proper compensation from other streaming services

especially when the plays are tracked

is this a union/negotiating issue

IDK? but it feels odd that Prince is almost the poster child for disgruntled musician

when I can't seem to find anything wrong with his stance.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 09:12 PM

10. "It's about ears reached, not spins"
In response to Reply # 8

1 million spotify spins probably reach 2 million people, tops. That's fewer people than FOUR drive-time spins on Power 105.1. And that's just one station in one city. Streaming sites compensate artists fairly. A single listen just ain't worth shit.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2942388 Previous topic | Next topic