Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2942002

Subject: "What Should The Commitment Level of A Hip Hop Fan Be?" Previous topic | Next topic
Kil
Member since Oct 06th 2005
971 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 06:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What Should The Commitment Level of A Hip Hop Fan Be?"

Last week, I peeped a video of Sean P on Hot 97 saying hip hop fans are fickle and I've always heard artists like Quest saying the same thing which made me ask the question, what level of commitment are these artists expecting from their fans? Do they want some ole sports level of commitment like I don't care how many bad albums you drop, I'm gonna always buy your music? Do they want the level of commitment like in a marriage like til death do us part? I mean, if you drop 2 wack albums, do you REALLY expect me to keep buying your stuff? So for me, I now look at fan like "clients" almost like a hooker/john relationship. If you make dope music, I'll buy it. If you stop making dope music, I won't buy it.

So, check my new podcast The Corner Radio where me and my peoples are chopping it up about what's the definition of a fan, what the commitment level of a fan should be, how many bricks does an artist get before a "fan" can call it a day, why artist try to make you feel guilty with the whole "the fans won't let me grow" line when in reality all we care about is them making dope music and how Outkast is a PERFECT example of that, the difference between a music fan and a sports fan, why and how The Roots fell off. Plus you get over 60+ minutes of a DOPE hip hop mix!

My question for ya'll is speaking for yourself, which is your commitment as a fan of someone? Do you have the "marriage" commitment of "no matter what this artist does I'm buying their music, going to their shows, etc. or do you agree with the "client" philosophy of if you make dope music, I'll buy it but if you decide to start singing off key and making turn up music, I'm done. And for the cats on here that are independent artists, what do you expect from your fans?

http://www.willmakebeatsforfood.com/2015/08/the-corner-radio-hosted-by-kil-fanshow.html

Tracklisting:
Buck 50 - Ghostface w/Redman & Method Man
Hittin' Switches - Erick Sermon
Buggin' Out - A Tribe Called Quest
My Crew Don't Go For That - Trigga The Gambler w/Smooth the Hustler
You - Evidence
1, 2 Many - Common
Guerrilla Monsoon Rap - Talib Kweli w/Black Thought & Pharoah Monch
The Actual - All City
Danger - Blahzay Blahzay
Props Over Here - The Beatnuts
It's All On Me - Dr. Dre
Shootouts - Nas
Scottie Pippens - Currensy w/Freddie Gibbs
Crew Love - Beanie Sigel & Memphis Bleek
Taxi - Mos Def w/Whosane

The Corner Radio Podcast Hosted by Kil
@Kil889
www.willmakebeatsforfood.com
www.soundcloud.com/kil889

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: What Should The Commitment Level of A Hip Hop Fan Be?
Aug 24th 2015
Depends and only speaking for myself...
Aug 24th 2015
For me.. it's respecting those who put in work
Aug 24th 2015
Take this shit dead serious. Not no hobby over here
Aug 24th 2015
I think the issue is
Aug 24th 2015
And lets not forget the "you changed up and became weird"
Aug 25th 2015
      this is so fucking true smh
Aug 25th 2015
should? zero. money, time and atttention must be earned.
Aug 25th 2015
Honest question
Aug 26th 2015
RE: What Should The Commitment Level of A Hip Hop Fan Be?
Aug 25th 2015
Hip Hop fans aren't any more fickle than any other genre's fans.
Aug 25th 2015
RE: Hip Hop fans aren't any more fickle than any other genre's fans.
Aug 26th 2015
1st of all...
Aug 25th 2015
RE: 1st of all...
Aug 28th 2015
I Know A Lot Of Them Are "Out Of Site Out Of Mind" Fans
Aug 28th 2015
whatever he/she wants it to be
Aug 28th 2015
There's quite a diversity of music and sub-genres within hip-hop
Aug 29th 2015
RE: There's quite a diversity of music and sub-genres within hip-hop
Aug 31st 2015

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1813 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 11:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: What Should The Commitment Level of A Hip Hop Fan Be?"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't thinks artists expect you to buy poor music. I think they are referring to when you just stop checking for certain artists, not because they dropped a dud, but because you forgot about them and moved onto the next shiny new artist.

I think a loyal fan will check out your music, a very loyal fan will ALWAYS listen even if you drop some wack stuff. I don't really think artists expect you to purchase bad music though.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 12:44 PM

2. "Depends and only speaking for myself..."
In response to Reply # 0

>My question for ya'll is speaking for yourself, which is your
>commitment as a fan of someone? Do you have the "marriage"
>commitment of "no matter what this artist does I'm buying
>their music, going to their shows, etc. or do you agree with
>the "client" philosophy of if you make dope music, I'll buy it
>but if you decide to start singing off key and making turn up
>music, I'm done.

....for some artists there is so much goodwill that I'll always cop their cd even when I know it's not going to be something I love or will stay in rotation long. For example, with The Roots or Common I would never say there's a lack of effort or love for the music behind their past few releases, but for whatever reason their stuff doesn't stick with me long anymore. However, their 90's and early 2000's output was so critical to me that they essentially get a lifetime pass.

I'm seeing both of them in October as well because I know even if the new stuff isn't amazing, they still put on a good show. So for those cats they get an album purchase and I'll attend a show if they're in the area.

I guess it's a sliding-scale type deal. You have some artists who I'm a fan of but it's a case by case judgement call. Who's on production, what are the features, how was your last album, how did those first leaks/singles sound?

Some acts I might abandon buying their albums, but if their discography is deep enough I'll rock at their show.

Others I only supported because they were lucky enough to roll with more talented affiliates and they had dope beats. If they lose the top shelf beats and guests, I'm out.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 10:01 PM

3. "For me.. it's respecting those who put in work"
In response to Reply # 0

even if they start to slip you still pay respect because they had a few hits.

Hip Hop fans are straight disrespectful. Even good artist get shitted on because fans get mad at their popularity.

They take the shit too personal IMO.

Take J.Cole... why is he hated on so much? What the fuck has he done wrong? LOL

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 10:09 PM

4. "Take this shit dead serious. Not no hobby over here"
In response to Reply # 0

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 11:00 PM

5. "I think the issue is"
In response to Reply # 0

That hip-hop fans tend to jump from trend to trend and from hot artist to hot artist.

The majority of hip-hop fans like shit based on what's popular.

It's a catch 22 because if you're an artist and you stay true to what you do, you get shitted on for never evolving.

But on the other hand, if you're someone who tries to stay relevant and keep up with the trends, you get shitted on for "not being real."

The problem is that most hip-hop fans don't know why they like what they like.

There's no real opinion behind what they listen to.

That's probably like artists are like "fuck fans...they're here one day and gone the next" because you can't win.

It's all about what's fresh and hot.

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Tue Aug-25-15 09:44 AM

6. "And lets not forget the "you changed up and became weird""
In response to Reply # 5
Tue Aug-25-15 09:44 AM by auragin_boi

stance too when a hiphop artist tries to step outside of the box they're placed in.

LOTS of people who were riding with Kendrick on GKMC jumped off for TPAB. The "Pour up, Drank" crowd ain't rocking with "I love myself". A lot of the "Bitch don't kill my vibe" contingent ain't feeling "we gon' be alright".

Hiphop suffers as an art form because it gets placed in a box. It's marginalized as club/dance music. No matter what the subject of the song is, it needs to be danceable (at least from most black hiphop artist). But it most likely needs to be rooted in glamor, sex, drugs and violence to be relevant.

And the powers that be won't let anything BUT those topics maintain hiphop's relevancy. For every song you hear about love, you hear 35 degrading the concept and another 90 songs about sex only, for every song you hear about social injustice, you hear 125 glamorizing the drug trade and it's violent offspring.

We aren't the ones signing off on Fetty Wap or Future or Rich Homie Quan or OG Maco or Young Thug or Chief Keef releases.

No other genre has that restriction.

Not to say that there hasn't always been some type of disparity between those types of messages but I think that gap is much wider in todays music climate.

As with most other things in the US regarding black people, it's systemic control/marginalization of the culture/music. Why would someone who, at their core, believes blacks are ignorant, violent and gullible want to provide them with constant messages that say otherwise.

Listen to your local radio stations for 2-3 weeks. Switch back and forth between pop or country radio and urban radio. Take note of the most prevalent themes and general tone of each station. Hiphop is bred to be disposable and dismissive.

And fans oblige...black or white or Asian or Hispanic or otherwise.

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Tue Aug-25-15 12:56 PM

11. "this is so fucking true smh "
In response to Reply # 6

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Tue Aug-25-15 09:44 AM

7. "should? zero. money, time and atttention must be earned."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 07:25 PM

13. "Honest question"
In response to Reply # 7

How much to you spend on music per year?

How many albums have you purchase whether it was CD, MP3, Vinyl etc.?

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Tue Aug-25-15 11:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "RE: What Should The Commitment Level of A Hip Hop Fan Be?"
In response to Reply # 0

Think the issue simply is people don't out their money where there mouth is...

There are many more people who will talk shit about an artist or the "state of hip hop" etc than will actually support the music they say is "real".

More critics than consumers in the fan-base basically

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Tue Aug-25-15 11:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Hip Hop fans aren't any more fickle than any other genre's fans. "
In response to Reply # 0

Just someone saying it doesn't make it so

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

Kil
971 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 05:05 PM

12. "RE: Hip Hop fans aren't any more fickle than any other genre's fans. "
In response to Reply # 9

And this is what I've ALWAYS wondered....are hip hop fans more fickle then any other fan base? I don't know the Rolling Stone's music like that so did they change up over the years? And no matter what direction they went did the fans AND money follow? Or do cats like Quest compare us hip hop fans to the white Rolling Stones fan because 30 years later they still can sell out stadiums. I look at myself and I listen to a lil bit of any and everything and when it comes to different genres I personally went straight to gospel cause I LOVED CeCe Winans Everlasting Life CD but her follow up didn't do it for me. Why? Well, I learned gospel artist do different forms of gospel music. Her "Everlasting Love" cd was more "crossover gospel" where as her follow up was "praise & worship" which gives you a TOTALLY different vibe. I wasn't feeling it so I didn't buy it. But now I just knew I rock with her when she does THIS style but not when she does THAT style...make sense? It's why I always like how Guru branched off and did Jazzmatazz as a solo thing and not confuse the Gang Starr fans who want that boom bap with this whole album of jazz.

@Kil889

HIM
Member since May 20th 2002
1733 posts
Tue Aug-25-15 12:38 PM

10. "1st of all..."
In response to Reply # 0

Word up for rocking that"Props Over Here". Such a dope beat!

2nd- I feel like when you make something dope once, I'll check for you pretty much forever.

I may not buy your music sight unseen/heard(like the younger me)and I may not even buy your music period but I'm always going to at least check the stream/preview/soundcloud/youtube...etc.

After that, what happens next is up to how dope i feel the work is.

One thing we have to note about hip-hop is that alot of times, we get older and out grow it as adults.
my interest level is way lower than it was 20 yrs ago.
Im much more mature but the music is only "a little bit more" mature.

peace
HIM
www.PlazaMelodic.com
"Lo-Fi Holiday" Now Available!!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lo-fi-holiday/id985794237
https://plazamelodic.bandcamp.com/album/lo-fi-holiday
http://soundcloud.com/beatroom88

Kil
971 posts
Fri Aug-28-15 10:07 AM

16. "RE: 1st of all..."
In response to Reply # 10

Good looking fam! That's my 2nd fave Beatnuts banger behind "Watch Out Now." Good looking for checking out the show!

@Kil889

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri Aug-28-15 03:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "I Know A Lot Of Them Are "Out Of Site Out Of Mind" Fans"
In response to Reply # 0

Since the age of underground artists not being on major labels anymore I see that the west coast artists got die hard fans but when it comes to east coast artists if they aren't on a major label with a video or got their cd in record stores the week it is released fans don't even try to find or buy the artist's album.

Some are surprised that so & so released an album, cause they didn't hear a song on the radio or a video, they say things like "I thought he retired or stop making music" and I be like "they never stopped releasing albums".

Then you have the artists who stay on the concert or small club performance circuit and keep their names in people's minds/mouths and will cop their music at a show but will never go to a record store or online to get their music.

Like you said, some people aren't going to keep buying everything an artist release if they decide to make wack albums or albums with less music they liked than the last one, and with me being dedicated to an artist when you don't have the money to do so is sometimes impossible like Madlib, I'm sorry but I can't, I want to but just can't.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Aug-28-15 05:22 AM

15. "whatever he/she wants it to be"
In response to Reply # 0

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Sat Aug-29-15 01:51 AM

17. "There's quite a diversity of music and sub-genres within hip-hop"
In response to Reply # 0

but you rarely find fans who are accepting an artist's growth from one sub-genre to another.

Take Jay-Z for example. He made his name making records that appealed to the streets and people who appreciate the skill of a great MC, but when he became more pop or bourgeois he changed his fanbase.

Same with The Roots. They made well-crafted traditional hip-hop, but over the years their albums have become less radio friendly and more obscure and they now have a different fanbase then when they started.

Mos' lack of acceptance for The New Danger follows that logic. The album was a decent enough album, but the use of the rock and blues oriented music threw people off.

Fans want the artist to create an album that builds on the expectations of the fans, not necessarily create an album for the fans change their tastes to better understand the creative muse of the act.

Kil's point about an artist being given the privilege of making a work that may use a different influence then their audience is used to, but still has to be high-quality enough or familiar for the fans to like is a good one.

Although, from an artist's position, that is an impossible task.

Yes OutKast recovered from losing some of their fans with ATLiens and building their fanbase from Aquemini to Stankonia. But they also lost those same fans with releasing Idlewild.

Nas made a great follow-up to Illmatic and still lost face with his fans and the press. Tribe had a fanbase that appreciated artistry and the attentive approach the band had to making music , made three classics and lost fans after making Beats, Rhymes, and Life.

And like you said, sometimes the musician just misses the mark (Electric Circus) and no one wants to listen to an album of a musician just doing what they want to do over the course of a record...

I guess that's it. Fans care what the musician makes as long as it pleases them, but if the artist starts to get indulgent or make an album to develop a sound, the majority of music fans lose patience with the artist.

YupYupLikeTeddy
Member since Dec 04th 2004
193 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 10:26 PM

18. "RE: There's quite a diversity of music and sub-genres within hip-hop"
In response to Reply # 17

Here's the thing, certain artists I have a certain love for that other artists don't get. For example, I love the Wu and buy damn near any and everything they drop. Now say a group like Mobb Deep doesn't get THAT kind of love. They get the client role you were talking about earlier. If they drop something good then I'll buy it. I think that's the best way I can explain why my dedication to some artists are deeper then to others.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2942002 Previous topic | Next topic