Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2940713

Subject: "El DeBarge/Heart, Mind & Soul" Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Mon Aug-10-15 09:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"El DeBarge/Heart, Mind & Soul"

Marvin Gaye has served as the coked-out patron saint for countless soul men who rightfully hear in his voice and music something sonically special and painfully honest. In his nearly forty-five year lifetime, Gaye rose from wannabe lounge lizard worshipping at the altar of Frank Sinatra to become one of the most distinctive vocalists of his generation. Coming out of the Motown music factory in the sixties, Gaye not only made hit singles (“Hitchhike,” “If This World Was Mine”), but also forced the label to think beyond their 7-inch singles mentality when he crafted the brilliant concept album What’s Going On in 1971. A hard-hitting aural statement that was sung in the softest voice,What’s Going On was as powerful as Martin Luther King marching through Selma, as strong as a Malcolm Xspeech, and as rousing as a Molotov cocktail thrown from a moving car during yet another civil unrest.

More than four decades later, Gaye’s song cycle that includes the endearing title track, “Mercy Mercy Me” and “Inner City Blues” remains a rhythmic blueprint for others to follow. While some artists might’ve slacked on their studio pimpin’ after making a masterpiece such as this, Gaye continued to create thrilling albums for Motown that ranged from the jazzed-out blaxploitation soundtrack Trouble Man, the sexed-out Let’s Get It On and the ass-out Here, My Dear. Through it all, cocaine was his main man, that good shit that would get the creative juices flowing. “I’m passionate about good cocaine,” he once said. As documented in David Ritz’s brilliant Divided Soul as well as the recently released After the Dance by Jan Gaye, brother Marvin’s problem was all too real when it came to his mind games. But when it came to music, his genius was on point no matter how numb his tongue might’ve been.

Of course, showbiz being what it has always been, Gaye didn’t receive a nod from the gatekeepers until he left Motown and released his least ambitious album Midnight Love in 1983, for which he won a Grammy. A year later, caught-up in the haze of a coke addiction that some say contributed to his brutal murder at the hands of his father, the troubled man was gone, but his zooted spirit sniffed on in the imaginations of soulful upstarts. Unfortunately, much like Charlie Parker’s romantic hop-head behavior that encouraged a generation of jazz junkies to spike themselves as they searched for genius within the head-nodding solitude of their heroin habits, Gaye’s powdered adventures inspired legions of white line sniffers searching for the true essence of soul music at the end of their straws or rolled-up hundred dollar bills.

For some artists, issues with drugs could be the end of their careers, while other more complex cats like D’Angelo,Robin Thicke, who even made a song called “Cocaine,” and The Weeknd, get a creative pass and their drug use has become a part of their tortured mythology. Singer/songwriter El DeBarge was yet another Marvin Gaye worshipper who would go on to struggle with his quite publicized bouts with Bolivian marching powder.

Many of us grew up watching El back when he and his siblings were signed to Motown and recorded majestic ballads (“All This Love,” “Stay With Me”), as well as the reggae tinged post-disco show stopper “Rhythm Of The Night.” Hailing from Grand Rapids, Michigan, the DeBarges (Bunny, Randy, Mark and El) were church kids raised on hymns and AM radio; the Carpenters were a big influence on their sound. Their big brother Bobby, who was the lead singer in Switch (founded by boyhood friend Gregory Williams), had laid the falsetto wailing groundwork for the family on classic tracks “There Will Never Be” and “I Call Your Name.”

http://www.soulhead.com/2015/08/10/sleptonsoul-el-debarge-heart-mind-and-soul-by-michael-a-gonzales/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Always enjoyed this album
Aug 10th 2015
CO Sign "Where you are " was the cut off the jump
Aug 12th 2015
There was an album sans Babyface and Dupri input
Aug 10th 2015
warn a brother wanted a hit and in the storm
Aug 12th 2015
huge El Debarge fan and the problem with his career
Aug 12th 2015

JtothaI
Charter member
17134 posts
Mon Aug-10-15 05:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Always enjoyed this album"
In response to Reply # 0

But I'm a 90's R&B/Face fan.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Aug-12-15 03:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "CO Sign "Where you are " was the cut off the jump"
In response to Reply # 1

Babyface's songwriting and career owes a strong nod to El debarge no doubt
and it made sense.

i liked this record.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

revolution75
Member since May 07th 2003
3372 posts
Mon Aug-10-15 07:32 PM

2. "There was an album sans Babyface and Dupri input "
In response to Reply # 0

Had the art cover like in the storm
And wb nixed it
Would love to have heard that project

Eclectic Soul/Sunday, 2-4 PM est/89.3 WCSB.ORG

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Aug-12-15 03:13 AM

4. "warn a brother wanted a hit and in the storm"
In response to Reply # 2

didn't hit

came across old to some despite having chante moore on board and that is a story for another day with her and el,etc..

and also the fact that Benny Medina didn't push the project and he was on board at warners to Push El DeBarge, Prince and chaka khan projects
and didn't do much of nothing.

i think it was cool with EL working with Maurice White, however aside from "after the dance" and my heart belongs to you, it wasn't any real money cuts
and warners wanted some hits.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Aug-12-15 03:19 AM

5. "huge El Debarge fan and the problem with his career"
In response to Reply # 0

was he wrote all of his best money cuts as a member of debarge.

however he made better albums as a solo artist, and yet we never got that all out classic solo album to highlight the full goods, but he is one scary talent and i always felt the Marvin gaye sincere aspect of his material.

el though got a commerical ear which loans itself for easy access cross over.

this cat got alot of aingles musically he can drive in.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2940713 Previous topic | Next topic