Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2939302

Subject: "Black Milk vs. Oddisee" Previous topic | Next topic
Starks dunked on Bulls
Member since Dec 07th 2011
12028 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 08:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Black Milk vs. Oddisee"

When it comes to Production, Lyrics, Albums, who do you prefer?

Production = This is wayyyyyy too hard. I don't like Oddisee's old production (the tracks that sound like Kev Brown beats). But his NEW STUFF?

Lyrics = Black Milk. Oddisee is way more complex lyrically. And his flow is insane, but I'll still go with Black Milk for now. I can see Oddisee easily surpassing him though. Oddisee has tons of potential, he gets better with every new release.

Overall Albums = Black Milk

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
They are 1a and 1b for me
Jul 30th 2015
Two of my favorite artists right now...
Jul 30th 2015
You might be on to something...
Jul 30th 2015
      credit Anonymous for the OddMilk...
Jul 30th 2015
I love both but Black Milk by a hair...
Jul 30th 2015
Ooooh
Jul 30th 2015
Oddisee
Jul 30th 2015
this is really really really tough. you should have made a poll
Jul 30th 2015
Oddisee
Jul 30th 2015
Black Milk Lost
Jul 30th 2015
umm Oddisee all day
Jul 30th 2015
Although I have to pick Milk...
Jul 30th 2015
RE: Black Milk vs. Oddisee
Jul 30th 2015
Much, much respect to Black Milk
Jul 30th 2015
Black Milk on the beats, Oddisee on the mic
Jul 30th 2015
I'd prefer the reverse of that. Black Milk rapping over Oddisee beats.
Jul 30th 2015
Yea where I'm at with it
Jul 30th 2015
Yeah oddisee has gotten much better on the mic
Jul 31st 2015
Man
Jul 31st 2015
At this point, Oddisee
Jul 31st 2015
Black Milk and Oddisee remind me of Dr. Dre during The Chronic
Jul 31st 2015
      What?
Jul 31st 2015
           Maybe it's the live instrumentation. I dunno *shrugs*
Jul 31st 2015

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 08:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "They are 1a and 1b for me"
In response to Reply # 0

As far as hip hop artists in the past 10-15 years who are producers first, rappers second, mostly work solo, who have experimented with using different live instruments, synths, song structures, rhythms, without ever sounding too out of the box of traditional hip hop.

I listen to a lot of instrumentals, and while just listening to instrumentals from Black Milks solo albums are great, I wish he'd try his hand at a couple more instrumental releases that are less beat tapey - I think Oddisee's instrumental-only releases - "The Beauty In All", "Rock Creek Park", "Traveling Man" are great, and would love to see Black Milk try again - Synth Or Soul was good, but I prefer any of Oddisee's instrumental stuff to it. If I had to choose one of them, I'd go with Oddisee just because I love those releases, but for vocal albums and production for other rappers, they are equally great to me.

BNueve
Member since Jul 31st 2008
2068 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 08:55 AM

2. "Two of my favorite artists right now..."
In response to Reply # 0

I prefer Oddisee on pretty much everything though. He's stepped his game up incredibly over the last few years. Would love an OddMilk album.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 03:44 PM

9. "You might be on to something..."
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Jul-30-15 03:57 PM by Remedial

>I prefer Oddisee on pretty much everything though. He's
>stepped his game up incredibly over the last few years. Would
>love an OddMilk album.

That wouldn't be too bad. They could do a Jaylib kind of thing where each one of them produces for the other. I think it would be a good idea.

I once envisioned a collabo album with Milk, Nottz and Quik. All A level producers who are pretty nice on the mic. Probably will never happen, but with them all being independent, it surely wouldn't be too hard to execute.

And, imagine them ACTUALLY working together on the beats, not just each one of them submitting their own pieces for the project?

IT WOULD BE CRAZY!!!

But, that's one of those dream situations that will probably never happen.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

BNueve
Member since Jul 31st 2008
2068 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 06:39 PM

15. "credit Anonymous for the OddMilk..."
In response to Reply # 9

recently on twitter they both stated mutual interest to work with each other though, so we'll see what happens.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 09:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I love both but Black Milk by a hair..."
In response to Reply # 0

if only because he's more...fun? To me. Oddisee is excellent both on the boards and on the mic but he can be kind of a drag sometimes.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 09:30 AM

4. "Ooooh"
In response to Reply # 0

>When it comes to Production, Lyrics, Albums, who do you
>prefer?

All of these are REAL close, but...

>Production = Black Milk. My preference leans a little more towards boom-bappy, hard drum, beat-tapish stuff.

>
>Lyrics = Oddisee wins for flow, content, complexity.

>Overall Albums = Black Milk

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

Anonymous
Charter member
23228 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 01:16 PM

5. "Oddisee "
In response to Reply # 0

Lyrically, Oddisee pretty easily.

guru0509
Charter member
45358 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 01:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "this is really really really tough. you should have made a poll"
In response to Reply # 0

i bet it would have looked like that "LWFC vs BOBS" post

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 01:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Oddisee"
In response to Reply # 0

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

maro
Charter member

8. "Black Milk Lost"
In response to Reply # 0

on tha reels, I love me some black milk, but for overall content, production and flow, hands down oddisee, plus I think his catalog has far more depth.

I am biased that I saw oddisee live and it was one of best hip-hop show if seen in a very long time. He just came correct on the beat, rhymes (could understand every word) and the stage presence.

werd.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 03:44 PM

10. "umm Oddisee all day "
In response to Reply # 0

when was the last time you heard anyone even talking Black Milk?

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 03:55 PM

11. "Although I have to pick Milk..."
In response to Reply # 0

I must say that Oddisee is better lyrically and his releases (although I haven't heard like the past two and need to revisit his older stuff) seem to be more focused and his songs have more purpose and direction.

Also, he's pretty good on a hook and has a MUCH bigger personality and presence than Milk.

Now, the reason I choose Milk is because his production ethos just resonates with me. Like Ishwip mentioned, I'm must more into that heavy drum, boom bap, beat tape type of sound. Also, his albums have this way of growing on you. They might not hit you initially, but, give them time and they'll creep up on you one day.

I'm fine with instrumentals alone from Milk. I don't even really need lyrics on top. Can't really say the same for Oddissee, ALTHOUGH that man DOES have heat. Don't get me wrong. I could just really be me having a preference for the Detroit beat sound over the DMV sound.

Also, he helmed the Caltroit album. Nuff said. That album is so criminally underrated, it's INSANE. I REALLY thought he was going to be one EVERYONE'S list when it comes to producers to recruit for albums after that one. But, reality and fantasy didn't align with that one....

I do think Milk needs to focus more on putting together an album that can tap the overground a lil bit like AOTY did. That one could have done much better if he had chosen the singles a little better.

By the way, for anyone that might have missed it or was not aware, he dropped a video for "Story and Her": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhKARyhV8a8

It's pretty good. They have some nice fluid shots with no cuts (specifically the scene with him walking down the stairs headed to the car) and the segue into the second movement of that song is done really well,.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

spidey
Charter member
13125 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 04:14 PM

12. "RE: Black Milk vs. Oddisee"
In response to Reply # 0

Oddisee is just the man right now, and that's not taking anything away from Milk....like it's been said before, a collab LP like Dilla and Madlib did would be a monster...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

MajrLeaguer
Charter member
806 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 04:22 PM

13. "Much, much respect to Black Milk"
In response to Reply # 0

but he can't f*ck with Oddisee right now ... five years ago, MAYBE (BM was on fire, bu Oddisee had that Diamond District out) ... eight years ago, I would likely say BM ... but now in 2015, Amir Mohammed got it

Twitter.com/djRBI
Instagram.com/DJ_RBI

"I'm That Guy", Mike G (J Beez)

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 05:26 PM

14. "Black Milk on the beats, Oddisee on the mic"
In response to Reply # 0

They're both dope overall though.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

Starks dunked on Bulls
12028 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 06:46 PM

16. "I'd prefer the reverse of that. Black Milk rapping over Oddisee beats."
In response to Reply # 14
Thu Jul-30-15 06:55 PM by Starks dunked on Bul

>They're both dope overall though.

Like someone said, Black Milk is just more fun to listen to. And Black Milk stepped up his rapping significantly. He got flows too.

https://soundcloud.com/blackmilkofficial/i-guess

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 08:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "Yea where I'm at with it"

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Fri Jul-31-15 10:48 AM

19. "Yeah oddisee has gotten much better on the mic "

You can hear the progression....from foot in the door til now

PuertoNico
Member since Dec 31st 2007
313 posts
Fri Jul-31-15 10:34 AM

18. "Man"
In response to Reply # 0

Some Questions are just too hard to answer, this being one of them. But if I have to i'd give Oddisee the slight edge

http://www.nico-schlegel.de

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Fri Jul-31-15 06:13 PM

20. "At this point, Oddisee"
In response to Reply # 0

He's a complete artistin the vein that Q-Tip carved out. His emceeing and production are about even with each other for the most part.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Starks dunked on Bulls
12028 posts
Fri Jul-31-15 06:46 PM

21. "Black Milk and Oddisee remind me of Dr. Dre during The Chronic"
In response to Reply # 20

>He's a complete artistin the vein that Q-Tip carved out. His
>emceeing and production are about even with each other for the
>most part.

Anonymous
Charter member
23228 posts
Fri Jul-31-15 07:17 PM

22. "What?"
In response to Reply # 21

Starks dunked on Bulls
12028 posts
Fri Jul-31-15 07:38 PM

23. "Maybe it's the live instrumentation. I dunno *shrugs*"
In response to Reply # 22
Fri Jul-31-15 07:39 PM by Starks dunked on Bul

>

Especially Black Milk production anyway.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2939302 Previous topic | Next topic