Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2939073

Subject: "Bootsy Collins Appreciation Page" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 10:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bootsy Collins Appreciation Page"

YAPPY DABBY DOO BABY Bubba.

one of the most underrated One Man Bands ever. cat got scary skills

on Bass, Drums and Keys. dug the Jimi Hendrixesque vocals on the slow jams.

i was grooving to "Wind Me Up" today and I was bumping that track and album real hard back in 99.

always been down with Bootsy. to me he on on my Mount rushmore of bass players. always got the humor
and he stays cool period.

"F encounter" was another one of my cuts by him.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
talented musician and a very good artist
Jul 28th 2015
"Munchies for Your Love" is like my favorite song
Jul 28th 2015
...present.
Jul 28th 2015
Ahhh The Name Is Bootsy Baby....personal top 5 funk albums
Jul 29th 2015
This Boot is made for funk-n is an underrated album...
Jul 29th 2015
agreed on 'F Encounter', overall I think Bootsy transitioned the best
Jul 30th 2015
ASTRONOMICAL
Jul 31st 2015
the Houseguests!!!
Jul 31st 2015

musiclover86
Member since Jul 20th 2015
123 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 12:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "talented musician and a very good artist"
In response to Reply # 0

ahh.... the name is bootsy, baby! is my favorite album of his

i love the song "can't stay away"

< --- my first crush

bills
Member since Feb 17th 2007
1199 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 07:27 AM

2. ""Munchies for Your Love" is like my favorite song"
In response to Reply # 0

ever. Totally worth the build-up.
"What's a Telephone Bill" is up there too.
Love Bootsy.

Walk On
Member since Apr 04th 2005
8332 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 09:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "...present."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- #LoveCitees

message brought to you by...

www.onustees.com

Record Playa
Member since Apr 29th 2007
2925 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 10:19 PM

4. "Ahhh The Name Is Bootsy Baby....personal top 5 funk albums"
In response to Reply # 0

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 11:19 PM

5. "This Boot is made for funk-n is an underrated album..."
In response to Reply # 0

I know Bootsy wasn't happy when he made it...but Get live...oh boy gurl..jam fam hot....under the influence... are some cold cold tracks...

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 01:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "agreed on 'F Encounter', overall I think Bootsy transitioned the best"
In response to Reply # 0

to the '80s funk sound out of all the P-Funkateers. Ultra Wave and The One Giveth are two of my favorite albums by him.

drugs
Charter member
9149 posts
Fri Jul-31-15 11:44 AM

7. "ASTRONOMICAL"
In response to Reply # 0

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Jul-31-15 12:08 PM

8. "the Houseguests!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgjjn0p8nkY

One of the illest hardcore funk-jams of all time IMO; I early shit my pants when I first heard it on the "Back in the day"-comp alongside the live-version of "Psychoticbumpschool" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEyAjt-Cbh8 ) which makes the studio-version sound weak (and note that the studio-version is ill too!).

Suffice to say, I'm quite a fan of the first six Bootsy albums-not so much the later Laswell stuff-to various extent but it always bugged me a little that the first two had the uptempo jams on one side whereas side 2 was *strictly* ballads. Thus, I tend to prefer the third one "Bootsy player of the year" due to mixing up a little even if I'm not sure the actual material is stronger.

This boot is mde for fonkn has some GREAT stuff but like many P-funk albums from 79-80 suffers from sounding overproduced and unfocused; WAY too many sound-effects/sounds/whatever in the mix on many cuts which distracts from the groove, like it's not necessary but rather seems to be put there to sound "wild&crazy"/p-funk (tm)

Ultra-wave I don't know about really; SOME great songs but some fluff too, it reminds me very much of the Sweat Band album from the same time in that it feels more like a collection of various P-funk tunes penned by Bootsy rather than a coherent project.

The one giveth... on the other hand I REALLY dig, I know it was considered a flop but that album is focused, stripped down and early 80's new wavey funk whille still sounding 100% pure Bootsy and old school; I wish more 80's P-funk albums were like this one rather than just loose congregations of jams with various combinations of members...

Lobby The Lesson topic #2939073 Previous topic | Next topic