Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2937581

Subject: "Jill Jones/Slept on Soul (soulhead.com)" Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 10:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Jill Jones/Slept on Soul (soulhead.com)"

Best known as the attractive waitress Prince kept dissing in Purple Rain, the Ohio native was discovered by Prince when she was a 17-year-old back-up singer for white chocolate singer Teena Marie, who was like a sister to her. Jones was supplying backgrounds for the Prince camp since the early days. Serving as background singer on the brilliant 1999 album, she soon became Prince’s own Darlene Love as he juggled productions for his pop posse. Still, it wasn’t until sitting in the audience on opening day of Purple Rain that I actually saw Jill Jones for the first time.

While The Kid was busy chasing around the scantily clad Apollonia throughout the imaginary cyberfunk landscape that was Purple Rain, cutie-pie Jill was on the sidelines, her presence, which reminded me of the sweet dejected dames in noir flicks, was overshadowed by the other woman. According to Alan Light’s must-read Let’s Go Crazy: Prince and the Making of Purple Rain, the role was supposed to be bigger and include a song (“Wednesday”), but was cut down considerably in the final script.

Unfortunately, Jones’ screen drama foreshadowed her career at Paisley Park as Prince laced his genius on others’ projects while literally pushing her into the background. If the man-wonder would’ve released Jill’s album afterPurple Rain, it would’ve been a smash. But, instead he was off sculpting Sheena Easton’s sweet “Sugar Walls,” helping his old buddy Andre Cymone dig “The Dance Electric” and making the scene with The Bangles for the “Manic Monday” sessions. Since most of Prince’s history is a mystery, there are more than a few stories circulating about his relationship with Jill Jones. While engineer Susan Rodgers has maintained that Jones was in love with Prince, in a 1987 Ebony magazine feature “Prince’s Women,” Jones clarified that “I’ve never been his girlfriend. We’re basically really good friends.” Later, she’d confess that working with the genius was filled with many “trials and tribulations.”

http://www.soulhead.com/2015/07/13/sleptonsoul-jill-jones-self-titled-debut-album-by-michael-a-gonzales

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
thank you for this. I COMPLETELY slept this
Jul 14th 2015
RE: Jill Jones/Slept on Soul (soulhead.com)
Jul 14th 2015
Violet Blue my joint...
Jul 14th 2015
Prince did her shady when you consider her impact
Jul 14th 2015
Thanks for this
Jul 15th 2015
RE: Jill Jones/Slept on Soul (soulhead.com)
Jul 15th 2015

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 08:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "thank you for this. I COMPLETELY slept this"
In response to Reply # 0

and I'm not a huge Prince fanatic but I found "All Day, All Night" on Youtube and I'm all the way the fuck in.

D

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

rdhull
Charter member
33138 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 10:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Jill Jones/Slept on Soul (soulhead.com)"
In response to Reply # 0

If >the man-wonder would’ve released Jill’s album afterPurple
>Rain, it would’ve been a smash.

No it wouldnt have.

Its omne of the best protege albums (great top notch material) but it would have been a flop still.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 10:14 PM

3. "Violet Blue my joint..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpyBFwyrLnc

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 11:07 PM

4. "Prince did her shady when you consider her impact"
In response to Reply # 0

on so many of his projects.

she was on alot of vocals for alot of projects.

her album was cool, however she wasn't gonna get her true due being associated with Prince.

to me if done right she could have been a modern day etta James with her voice and image, however she never got that chance.

i think either Rick James or Kashief would have done wonders with her IMO.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

realityrap
Member since Sep 21st 2005
8405 posts
Wed Jul-15-15 08:08 AM

5. "Thanks for this"
In response to Reply # 0

Osyrus
Member since Feb 28th 2006
285 posts
Wed Jul-15-15 08:18 PM

6. "RE: Jill Jones/Slept on Soul (soulhead.com)"
In response to Reply # 0

What's funny is the fact that she was the only chick he had around at the time who could really sing. vanity 6 should've been Jill 6, with Brenda doing co-lead vocals (Her deep voice was pretty cool. Vanity should've just been eye candy. Susan should've never been in the group, unless it was gonna be 8 instead of 8. I think if Jill's album was released in 1984 or 1985 at the latest, it would've done a lot better.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2937581 Previous topic | Next topic