Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2937578

Subject: "how talented was Queen as a Band minus Freddie Mercury to you?" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 10:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"how talented was Queen as a Band minus Freddie Mercury to you?"

you know how a dominant music figure can stand truly out
and Queen was no exception so i wounder
what did you think of Queen's overall talent if you took Mercury out of the picture? and I know Brian may gets love on the axe, but what do you think of them as a band on a whole?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Brian May composed a lot of the band's material, but it is very difficul...
Jul 14th 2015
supremely talented
Jul 14th 2015
They all knew what they were doing
Jul 14th 2015
I look at it just like A.I.C. without Layne...
Jul 14th 2015
the beats and instrumental melodies are as catchy...
Jul 15th 2015
Freddie wrote a good deal of their material himself though...
Jul 15th 2015
      I feel you...
Jul 15th 2015
           Sure, but
Jul 16th 2015
           While I generally agree...
Jul 16th 2015
                Pretty hard to find a band where each member wrote big hits.
Jul 23rd 2015

stattic
Charter member
29791 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 07:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Brian May composed a lot of the band's material, but it is very difficul..."
In response to Reply # 0

to do what you are asking with any band. Freddie Mercury was a phenomenal performer, the lead songwriter, and had such a gifted, unique voice that I just don't see the band having as much appeal without him. Then again, you can say that for most successful bands.

drugs
Charter member
9149 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 09:03 AM

2. "supremely talented"
In response to Reply # 0

freddie just put it over the top kinda like diamond dave.

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 11:58 AM

3. "They all knew what they were doing"
In response to Reply # 0

Brian May in particular was a really good guitarist. But without Mercury that band is nowhere near the same. He's the most indispensable member by far, you can leave it at that.

--

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 12:08 PM

4. "I look at it just like A.I.C. without Layne..."
In response to Reply # 0

they were a very good band. Jerry wrote and sang more than people know and is a ridiculously good guitarist. Starr and Kinney were great musicians in their own right, but it never was the same again without Layne. Just couldn't be. He was super unique.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

ToeJam
Charter member
2102 posts
Wed Jul-15-15 05:22 PM

5. "the beats and instrumental melodies are as catchy..."
In response to Reply # 0

...as the lyrics. Skills.

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Wed Jul-15-15 05:41 PM

6. "Freddie wrote a good deal of their material himself though..."
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Jul-15-15 05:42 PM by Jakob Hellberg

Obviously, I'm sure May came up with his guitar-parts and so on but still...

Also, Mercury was not just a singer but an accomplished pianist as well and played a big part in arranging their music so no, I don't think they would have really made it without him regardless of talent. I mean, he wrote Bohemian Rhapsody, Killer Queen, Somebody to love, We are the champions, Don't stop me now and probably several other of their early hits. Remove those songs from their discography and I kind of suspect they would have been mid-level successful at best purely on the basis of songwriting. Add his vocals, "swag" etc. and he's REALLY hard to replace; I have a hard time thinking of another vocalist that could have filled his shoes.

Actually, I have a hard time thinking of any big 70's arena rock band who were as "vocalist-oriented" as Queen.

ToeJam
Charter member
2102 posts
Wed Jul-15-15 09:55 PM

7. "I feel you..."
In response to Reply # 6

...but take the lead singer out of most bands and you don't have near the appeal.

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Thu Jul-16-15 04:44 PM

8. "Sure, but"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu Jul-16-15 04:45 PM by dalecooper

many of those bands could still have existed in somewhat the same form, even if diminished in popularity. Queen is one of the few that would have barely even resembled themselves if you subtract their singer, because besides his inimitable vocals and stage presence, he also was pretty much the main creative presence in the group.

Or to put it yet another way... it's easier to imagine Queen being close to the same band if you replaced ALL THE OTHER MEMBERS than if you tried to replace Mercury.

--

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Thu Jul-16-15 05:23 PM

9. "While I generally agree..."
In response to Reply # 7
Thu Jul-16-15 05:32 PM by Jakob Hellberg

AC/DC, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Toto (EDIT:bad example) are some counter-examples; that I personally think Van Halen without Dave is some bullshit or that AC/DC with Brian only made one album that measures up to the stuff with Bon or that Black Sabbath with Dio doesn't even sound like the same band but rather like 70's Rainbow with a different lead-guitarist and so on is besides the point...

CRM
Member since Aug 06th 2007
519 posts
Thu Jul-23-15 10:28 AM

10. "Pretty hard to find a band where each member wrote big hits."
In response to Reply # 9

Lobby The Lesson topic #2937578 Previous topic | Next topic