Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2937118

Subject: "Quelle Chris - Innocent Country" Previous topic | Next topic
mashpg89
Member since Dec 08th 2004
2867 posts
Thu Jul-09-15 11:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Quelle Chris - Innocent Country"

Haven't listened yet but I know he's got some fans on here.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/innocent-country/id998738647

http://quellechris360.bandcamp.com/album/innocent-country-2

Quelle Chris has recorded with plenty of producers but his bond with Chris Keys extends beyond music. After linking through mutual collaborator Roc Marciano, the two Chris’ became fast friends. About four years worth of hang-out sessions, bong hits, video games and take-out food culminated in 2Dirt4TV3: Innocent Country, a deceptively subtle character study of self disguised as an excellent piece of stoner headnod hip-hop.
Throughout the 33 minutes that comprise Innocent Country, our two protagonists are in synch like a pair of Jaeger pilots. Though the LP certainly has instances of energy and aggression, “Madness In The Oasis” and “Where The Wild Things Roam” are two, more often than not it lives within introspective mid-tempo moments like the languid “Nothing Moves.” Quelle is the wayward MC waxing bittersweet on the reflective “Well Running Deep,” filling Chris Keys’ sweeping string samples with palpable nostalgia. Our peregrine rapper is the lowkey consummate artist, powerful enough to give a rousing performance on the moving “I Asked God,” then turn on a dime and nail the hilarious and self-effacing “Drugfest TooThousandToo.”

Upon repeated listens, one might see that Innocent Country speaks to the blissful naivete of youth. It’s the soundtrack to self-medication as an escape from reality, but it doesn’t jump ship before the inevitable moment of clarity. Innocent Country is a party, but it’s also the morning after and the day before. A sweet experience on the surface, this is therapy billed as reefer night at your man’s spot.
credits

released 10 July 2015

ALBUM PRODUCED BY CHRIS KEYS

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Quelle Chris continues his run of great albums, fans will enjoy this one
Jul 10th 2015
You're up on Shotgun and a Sleek Rifle right?
Jul 10th 2015
      yea, I should probably revisit that one though
Jul 11th 2015
      RE: yea, I should probably revisit that one though
Jul 11th 2015
      yeah. that's my favorite of his
Jul 11th 2015
      that's my fave from him so far
Jul 11th 2015
always liked his stuff. will check out. n/m
Jul 11th 2015
"the ones to watch" is the best slum village impression i've ever heard
Jul 29th 2015
Jul 29th 2015
Another good album; also, impressed by Chris Keys
Jul 30th 2015

mashpg89
2867 posts
Fri Jul-10-15 01:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Quelle Chris continues his run of great albums, fans will enjoy this one"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jul-10-15 02:00 PM by mashpg89

That's three in a row now and based off my initial listens I would say Innocent Country is as good if not better than Ghosts At The Finish Line but not as good as Niggas Is Men (classic for me).

This album cements why Quelle Chris is one of my favorite rappers out right now. He has a knack for crafting concept albums that are cohesive and succinct. He also seems like he has a lot of fun in the studio, which allows him to tackle heavy subjects without taking himself too seriously.

Favorite tracks right now are Well Running Deep, Murphy's Law, and The Plan. Chris Keys killed it, he should get more work. Quelle's usual crew provided strong features as always. Lyrically this might be Quelle's best album. There's a lot to unpack and as I expected, it has earned its way into my very competitive rotation right now.

Can anyone name a better three album run in Hip Hop over the past 2 years than NIM, GATFL, and now IC? Quelle Chris is the type of rapper that will get his due praise ten years from now. Don't sleep Lesson.

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Fri Jul-10-15 01:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "You're up on Shotgun and a Sleek Rifle right?"
In response to Reply # 1

That's my favorite, although some of my favorite songs of his are on NIM

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

mashpg89
2867 posts
Sat Jul-11-15 04:53 AM

4. "yea, I should probably revisit that one though"
In response to Reply # 2

It didn't hit me like NIM or GATFL but I know a lot of people think that's his best work. NIM is one of those albums that holds a special meaning for me though, I can remember where and when I was playing it heavily.

His brother Mosel released a great album For The Love Of It if you're not up on that. Denmark Vessey & Cavalier have some good stuff too. I want Quelle Chris and those two to form a group.

Rappers should take note though, because plenty of them don't know how to make albums that can be played from front to back. Quelle isn't the greatest rapper in the world but he has learned how to make excellent albums.

A Love Supreme
Member since Nov 25th 2003
3053 posts
Sat Jul-11-15 05:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: yea, I should probably revisit that one though"
In response to Reply # 4

>Rappers should take note though, because plenty of them don't
>know how to make albums that can be played from front to back.
>Quelle isn't the greatest rapper in the world but he has
>learned how to make excellent albums.

i agree!

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sat Jul-11-15 01:36 PM

6. "yeah. that's my favorite of his"
In response to Reply # 2

he's a beast on the mic and production

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Sat Jul-11-15 02:38 PM

7. "that's my fave from him so far"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat Jul-11-15 02:38 PM by DVS

that and the Houseshoes EP "Blue Mondays"

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

A Love Supreme
Member since Nov 25th 2003
3053 posts
Sat Jul-11-15 03:46 AM

3. "always liked his stuff. will check out. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 09:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. ""the ones to watch" is the best slum village impression i've ever heard"
In response to Reply # 0

and that is not at all a slight against quelle chris and/or the producer (one in the same?). the track is fucking fantastic. i don't think i've ever felt such a strong SV vibe from a song before. the call & response reminds me of another song but i can't quite place it at the moment

guru0509
Charter member
45358 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 09:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "#313"
In response to Reply # 0

quelle chris always gets my money.

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 09:36 AM

10. "Another good album; also, impressed by Chris Keys"
In response to Reply # 0

I wasn't aware of him until the Georgia Ann Muldrow album earlier this year, but that and this Quelle album gives him 2 nice releases in 2015.
__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

Lobby The Lesson topic #2937118 Previous topic | Next topic