Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2936679

Subject: "Pet Peeves with Music Journalism" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 05:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Pet Peeves with Music Journalism"

Music journalism is great for letting fans get a peek at some of the thoughts, behavior and inspiration for some of our favorite music.

Sometimes, it can be a chore getting to that jewel at the core of a piece of work or inside a musician.

Whether it's journalists who like to insert themselves and their editorializing into their work or interviewers more interested in telling their own story rather than the musicians story or my personal favorite, a music review that doesn't actually review the record and uses gibberish type words to describe the character of the music.

I'm sure you have your own issues with an journalist, an aspect of journalism or a particular outlet.

Please list them.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Charlamagne Tha God
Jul 02nd 2015
To be honest? To hell with 'em all? *shrug*
Jul 04th 2015

beatnik
Member since Oct 24th 2004
2950 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 11:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Charlamagne Tha God"
In response to Reply # 0

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

https://soundcloud.com/dabeatnik/drumpf-beer

rtoriq
Member since Aug 28th 2005
405 posts
Sat Jul-04-15 03:11 PM

2. "To be honest? To hell with 'em all? *shrug*"
In response to Reply # 0

I think?

Because a couple years ago I realized I can't stand reading reviews on music. At all.

Liked an album/artist, hated it, doesn't matter; still don't bother reading because

*shrug* to hell w/ your opinion; only care about mine & ppl I connect with because we're dealing with a subjective subject.

The subjectivity is my MAIN reason why I don't bother reading/listening to reviews, ESPECIALLY from people who aren't artists.

Aside from that? There's sth about music journalism that seems so detached from the sacredness of music.
And if you're rolling your eyes at the word "sacredness", then that's my point.
When has music ONLY been about technique? In the lifespan of Earth I mean?
And yet that's what I read/hear all the time.
DO NOT GET ME WRONG.
I AM VERY VERY VERY interested in technique.
Equipment.
Set up.
Process.
Production.
The labor behind the work or lack thereof.
Hard work behind music is intoxicatingly SEXY to a woman like me.
It's just the spoiled-foodie-snob-type critique of it and only that that I can be missed with, especially when you don't consider going off of how you feel when listening.

It almost makes no sense because I write and am very expressive in writing (my name is rhetoriq lol)
and love talking houuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrssss about music.

But that's because I express how an album/artist/genre makes me *feel*,
and I'm interested in how it makes you feel too.
After that, I just assume that all the other details will be noticed by those who are earnestly devoted to music, true musicheads.
It's like artist/album-reviewers are intermediaries that chop up those nuances and details true music-devotees notice, into bite-size pieces for people who only passively like music so that can be cultured and hip in conversations.
That's wack to me, because to me, idealistically, every single soul should take it upon themselves to get deep into music.
I mean REAL deep. The nuances. The spiritual effects. Everything.
Coming up with your own musical observations, yknow?

So I like having album/artists DISCUSSION (like this board) as opposed to just reading one sole person's opinion.
I'd like seeing a vlog reviewing an album with a stankface or head falling back or shaking your head listening to music than you simply regurgitating what I can hear or research for myself.

There's a slight possibility that I may be trippin',
but I think those are some of the reasons why I don't care to read formal album/artist reviews.

------------------
reflect.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2936679 Previous topic | Next topic