Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2936539

Subject: "Anyone seen the Nina Simone tribute album lineup..." Previous topic | Next topic
Af-1
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
3461 posts
Wed Jul-01-15 06:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anyone seen the Nina Simone tribute album lineup..."
Wed Jul-01-15 06:34 AM by Af-1

Gregory Porter doing 'Sinnerman' has me really excited. Album's released in a week or two apparently...

1. My Mama Could Sing (Intro) - Lisa Simone
2. Feeling Good - Lauryn Hill
3. I've Got Life - Lauryn Hill
4. Ne Me Quitte Pas - Lauryn Hill
5. Baltimore - Jazmine Sullivan
6. Love Me Or Leave Me - Grace
7. My Baby Just Cares for Me - Usher
8. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - Mary J. Blige
9. Sinnerman - Gregory Porter
10. We Are Young, Gifted and Black - Common & Lalah Hathaway
11. I Put a Spell On You - Alice Smith
12. I Want a Little Sugar in My Bowl - Lisa Simone
13. Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair - Lauryn Hill
14. Wild Is the Wind - Lauryn Hill
15. African Mailman (Instrumental) - Lauryn Hill
16. I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free - Nina Simone

-----
Check me out, say hi...
Visit our soul/jazz/funk internet radio station, Blue-in-Green:RADIO: http://www.blueingreenradio.com/
https://www.mixcloud.com/Blue_in_Green_Sessions/
http://soundcloud.com/user305437292

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The Usher song would be interesting to hear
Jul 01st 2015
NPR First Listen
Jul 08th 2015
Checked it out at NPR. Meshell's tribute album better
Jul 08th 2015
skimmed the stream at NPR
Jul 09th 2015
Too much Lauryn, honestly.
Jul 09th 2015
Avery*Sunshine would've murdered something on this
Jul 09th 2015
P-fork review
Jul 09th 2015
Robert Glasper fucked this up big time
Jul 16th 2015

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Wed Jul-01-15 09:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "The Usher song would be interesting to hear"
In response to Reply # 0

Obviously the highlight is seeing Lauryn on most of the tracks. It's been what 10? 12? years since the Unplugged album.

If only for her own satisfaction, I hope the album is a success.

Dix
Member since Sep 04th 2009
172 posts
Wed Jul-08-15 01:32 PM

2. "NPR First Listen "
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/06/419252433/first-listen-nina-revisited-a-tribute-to-nina-simone

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed Jul-08-15 01:44 PM

3. "Checked it out at NPR. Meshell's tribute album better"
In response to Reply # 0

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

thebigfunk
Charter member
10468 posts
Thu Jul-09-15 10:16 AM

4. "skimmed the stream at NPR"
In response to Reply # 0

Not impressed.

The Gregory Porter track is probably the coolest thing on there. Other than that it sounded pretty uninspired. Will revisit in full later, but the preview did little to get me excited.

They're working at a disadvantage though, as Meshell's "Pour..." album was ridiculously good --- felt less like an album of covers than honest, sincere interpretations. Hard not to compare the two, and Meshell wins (but let's be honest, she always wins).

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17897 posts
Thu Jul-09-15 10:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Too much Lauryn, honestly. "
In response to Reply # 0

They could have thrown Lalah or Ledisi some of those.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Thu Jul-09-15 10:50 AM

6. "Avery*Sunshine would've murdered something on this"
In response to Reply # 0

oh well...

thebigfunk
Charter member
10468 posts
Thu Jul-09-15 11:05 AM

7. "P-fork review"
In response to Reply # 0

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20753-nina-revisited-a-tribute-to-nina-simone/

Agree with a lot of the sentiment, I think, although the reviewer is a bit absurd on this point:

"There's issue to be taken with the choice of songs here. Numbers like "Ne Me Quitte Pas", "Sinnerman", "My Baby Just Cares for Me", and others, while being staples of Simone's live sets, are not her original numbers, reducing much of the album to covers of covers."

Nina Simone wrote relatively few originals over the course of her career compared to rather prolific recording output. She was, first and foremost, an interpreter. That doesn't take away from the fact that she was an amazing writer, but to think a proper tribute album should focus primarily on the cuts she wrote seems askew...

Still, I haven't listened all the way through, so I'm holding off on a firm evaluation til I can give it the album a proper listen.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

mind_grapes
Member since Nov 13th 2007
957 posts
Thu Jul-16-15 06:15 AM

8. "Robert Glasper fucked this up big time"
In response to Reply # 0

Anything outside of Lauryn Hill and Alice Smith's covers (and Sullivan's to a lesser extent) are trash. He made all of these covers sound like reheated neo-soul and smooth jazz muzak. This is the kind of shit that reinforces Simone's legacy as a jazz singer, as opposed to brilliant, genre defying, musician.

By far the worst is Gregory Porter's Sinnerman. He should be ashamed of releasing such a flaccid version over that samba/boss nova crap. And the way he sings it is so over the top cabaret cheesy. Like I can still picture him grinning as he sang it a la the African Face bit from Get Him To The Greek. Grace's cover of Love Me or Leave Me, reminds me of Amy Winehouse's You Sent Me Flying. Usher's My Baby Just Care's for me, however, sounds like a Christmas carol. I mean most of these are barely worth even talking about further.

You think these covers would actually incorporate or at least build off the musical influences in Nina's music. This a woman who incorporated Bach cadenzas alongside blues, gospel, and showtunes without making it corny or hamfisted. She owned every cover she did by virtue of her musical virtuosity and the sincerity/directness of her vocal phrasing. In that spirit, I loved Eric Gales guitar solo/coda towards the end of Feeling Good. Lauryn Hill's take on the African Mailman instrumental is also great.

Even though Lauryn's covers are all kinda overproduced and the mixing of the vocals are questionable at times, at least you got the sense that she actually has a solid understanding of Simone's music. She could have also whittled down those three verses on I've Got Life into two, but she still had some great bars:

"Africa full of coltan/Coltrane was a cold man/Black genius in a cold land tryna be a whole man"

"There's a whole right of wrong to be righted/I get excited and kick this shit off like I'm on Manchester united"

"Psyche on poverty/self-esteem broken like pottery"

"See my Kalashnikov, lyrics with the safety off/Now dance around these niggas like Baryshnikov"

Lobby The Lesson topic #2936539 Previous topic | Next topic