Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2936454

Subject: "Finale's sophomore LP "Odds & Ends" prod by Oddissee " Previous topic | Next topic
Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 10:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Finale's sophomore LP "Odds & Ends" prod by Oddissee "

He's finally coming out with it.. August 14th. Entirely produced by Oddissee.. on Mello Music Group, too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kelly-frazier/detroit-hip-hop-artist-fi_b_7684190.html

(swipe):
There's not too many left in the hip hop game that encompass skill, passion and integrity all at the same time, but Detroit native Finale is definitely an example of one such person. By doing it his own way for the past decade, Finale has been able to build his own loyal following starting with his 2007 collaborative project Develop with producer Spier1200 along with his 2009 solo debut A Pipe Dream and a Promise.

Since Pipe Dream, Finale has been pretty silent on scene, opting to take a break to focus on his family, but the drive for music has never left him. Finale is now ready to release the long rumored project Odds & Ends produced in its entirety by Washington, D.C. native Oddisee, to be released via Mello Music Group on August 14th.

To get things started, we have the first single from Odds & Ends, a song called "Just Due" featuring Homeboy Sandman and Miz Korona, along with the full tracklisting for the project. I was able to get some words from Finale himself about what to expect from the album and why we had to wait for so long for his next project.

It's been over 5 years since your last album, why the wait? What have you been up to?

Yeah I know, five years is a long time but i think an artist taking time to actually live and experience everyday shit between albums is necessary for their music to stay somewhat relevant to the listener. I had a son, got married, went back to a regular job, and stopped recording music "cold turkey" and the readjustment period damn near killed me (it still does lol). The funny thing is I signed the deal for Odds & Ends and was setting up things for the followup to A Pipe Dream and a Promise right before I found out my wife was pregnant. I don't want to get all introspective and shit, but FAMILY means everything to me since I never had a father growing up. I've always told myself when the opportunity presents itself for me to be a father, I wouldn't take it for granted. I think the biggest lesson I've learned so far is that you find out who your real friends are when the music stops for a second. It was intentional and selfish at the same time, but I owed those five years to watching my son grow up and to give him a stable environment with his father right there for it all, which is something I never had. My wife and son deserve that and much more. I've seen a lot since Develop and Pipe Dream were released and I've met a lot of good people along the way, so that's what motivates me right now; reconnecting with the die hard listeners who stuck around while I was living and the talented artists who refuse to quit. Thank you.

This album Odds & Ends produced entirely by Oddisee has been years in the making. What can we expect from it?

You can expect the same thing every other project offered to the listeners, which is honesty and growth. I don't want any one of my projects to sound like the other. I think this project explains why I took a break and tells a story at the same time. It's the back and forth decisions on whether clocking in at a new job or recording a new project would benefit or kill the family structure I sacrificed everything to build up. I have a different perspective now that I've had the opportunity to watch from the outside looking in. There's a harsh but humble tone behind every song on the album, so you can expect the truth and a newfound comfortability I guess. I'm more at home in a booth these days. It feels like I have less and less to prove and it is what it is.

Talk about the song from the album "Just Due".

"Just Due" features two of my favorite rappers Homeboy Sandman and Miz Korona. The song is pretty self explanatory, meaning it deals with the dues a lot of artists pay during the course of their careers and yet they keep getting stepped over for whatever reason. I'm not asking for any handouts, just give me what's mines and "we good" haha. There's a different perspective on each verse and thats what makes the song dope in my opinion, but I'll let the people decide. I like the position i'm playing right now where I'm not really pressed about who's the newest "IT" rapper in Detroit or wherever. I just want to make the music I want to make with the people I want to make it with.

2015-06-30-1435670177-3628744-Finale_OddsAndEnds_3500x3500RGB.copy.jpg

Finale Odds & Ends Tracklisting
1. Choppy Waters
2. Cut Day
3. Just Due (feat. Homeboy Sandman & Miz Korona)
4. Steep Climb (feat. Thaione Davis)
5. Plain View (feat. Bilal Salaam)
6. 7 Days (feat. Kenn Starr & Hassaan Mackey)
7. Perseverance (feat. Big Tone & Vandalyzm)
8. Spike The Punch
9. Hard To Kill
10. The Revival (feat. Invincible & Pierre Anthony)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Finale's sophomore LP "Odds & Ends" prod by Oddissee
Jun 30th 2015
this is like your dream project....
Jun 30th 2015
      RE: this is like your dream project....
Jun 30th 2015
This should end up being one of the best releases in 2015
Jun 30th 2015
so happy I randomly clicked on The Lesson for first time in months.
Jun 30th 2015
pipe dream and a promise was a MONSTER.
Jun 30th 2015
Jun 30th 2015
For the Heads, Thaione got a new joint too
Jun 30th 2015
entertained by the album name alone n/m
Jun 30th 2015
Automatic purchase! i'm hyped for this!
Jun 30th 2015
Just Due Feat. Homeboy Sandman & Miz Korona link!
Jun 30th 2015
Dope. And that album cover is dope as well!
Jun 30th 2015
Finally
Jun 30th 2015
bought this on the strength of Oddisee production.
Aug 15th 2015
wanted to like it more than i ddi
Aug 16th 2015
I really hope this picks up
Aug 17th 2015
Love it so far. Korona & Sandman were the weakest parts...
Aug 16th 2015
Aug 18th 2015
Aug 18th 2015
I like it so far
Aug 18th 2015
I like it so far
Aug 18th 2015

spidey
Charter member
13125 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 11:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Finale's sophomore LP "Odds & Ends" prod by Oddissee "
In response to Reply # 0

You beat me to it! So hyped for this one, Finale is THAT NICE on the mic, and with Oddissee, I'm expecting heat...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4878 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 01:41 PM

2. "this is like your dream project...."
In response to Reply # 1

I'm hyped (and pleasantly surprised) for this too don't get me wrong....but you LOVE both these dudes hahaha

I wish Invincible was on a few more songs though, their chemistry is crazy....

spidey
Charter member
13125 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 01:57 PM

4. "RE: this is like your dream project...."
In response to Reply # 2

Talent attracts talent, birds of a feather, whatever you want to call it...nice to hear like minded artists collaborate, it appears Blu, Oddisee, Finale, Sandman, respect each others work and are open to working together, and yes, Invincible/Finale usually come with heat....long live the art....

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 01:44 PM

3. "This should end up being one of the best releases in 2015"
In response to Reply # 0

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 02:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "so happy I randomly clicked on The Lesson for first time in months."
In response to Reply # 0

been wondering aloud if he'd ever have a second one.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 02:39 PM

6. "pipe dream and a promise was a MONSTER."
In response to Reply # 0

looking forward to this

melanon
Member since Oct 21st 2003
2012 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 03:23 PM

7. "RE: Finale's sophomore LP "Odds & Ends" prod by Oddissee "
In response to Reply # 0

What happened to the album he was doing with Invicible & Waajeed?

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 07:02 PM

8. "For the Heads, Thaione got a new joint too"
In response to Reply # 0

http://thaionedavis.com/album/donald-mayhem-skywritters

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6529 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 07:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "entertained by the album name alone n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

www.twitter.com/seandammit

BNueve
Member since Jul 31st 2008
2067 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 07:22 PM

10. "Automatic purchase! i'm hyped for this!"
In response to Reply # 0

Oddisee on the boards too? Gotta be heat!

BNueve
2067 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 09:21 PM

11. "Just Due Feat. Homeboy Sandman & Miz Korona link!"
In response to Reply # 0

in case you didn't click on that huffpo link...

https://soundcloud.com/mellomusicgroup/finale-just-due-prod-oddisee/s-v6Qxf

Anonymous
Charter member
23227 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 09:34 PM

12. "Dope. And that album cover is dope as well!"
In response to Reply # 11

Soulroe
Member since Dec 25th 2009
1518 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 10:01 PM

13. "Finally"
In response to Reply # 0

No pun intended.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Sat Aug-15-15 10:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "bought this on the strength of Oddisee production."
In response to Reply # 0

I know nothing about Finale.
But I liked what I heard on bandcamp (and I had money to spend).

https://digife.com

Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Sun Aug-16-15 05:40 PM

15. "wanted to like it more than i ddi"
In response to Reply # 0

it's not wack or anything but not memorable

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

bills
Member since Feb 17th 2007
1199 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 07:54 AM

17. "I really hope this picks up"
In response to Reply # 15

I'm only 4 tracks in...so far its consistent, but not particularly enjoyable

BNueve
2067 posts
Sun Aug-16-15 09:06 PM

16. "Love it so far. Korona & Sandman were the weakest parts..."
In response to Reply # 0

Him and Oddisee make a good combo.

kosyne
Member since Jun 11th 2002
462 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 06:30 AM

18. "RE: Finale's sophomore LP "Odds & Ends" prod by Oddissee "
In response to Reply # 0

copped it yesterday, great listen start to finish.well worth it..

Who I gotta pay to get a Finale x Invincible project?

spidey
Charter member
13125 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 12:46 PM

19. "RE: Finale's sophomore LP "Odds & Ends" prod by Oddissee "
In response to Reply # 18

Finale x Invincible....right on....

Ketchums
Member since Jan 30th 2005
3417 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 02:06 PM

"I like it so far"

Although it's reminding me of how much of a learning curve I sometimes need to listen to Finale. When I'm listening to him obsessively I'm right there with him, but when I haven't for a while, his flow takes a while to get used to. But I like the album so far.

----

https://weketchum.contently.com/

Ketchums
Member since Jan 30th 2005
3417 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 02:06 PM

20. "I like it so far"
In response to Reply # 0

Although it's reminding me of how much of a learning curve I sometimes need to listen to Finale. When I'm listening to him obsessively I'm right there with him, but when I haven't for a while, his flow takes a while to get used to. But I like the album so far.

----

https://weketchum.contently.com/

Lobby The Lesson topic #2936454 Previous topic | Next topic