Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2935176

Subject: "The Writer's Bench - Top 5 Favorite Samples with Bink!" Previous topic | Next topic
Kil
Member since Oct 06th 2005
971 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 10:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Writer's Bench - Top 5 Favorite Samples with Bink!"

This week we're chopping it up with super producer Bink! on what are 5 of our favorite samples, why and if we would've done anything different with the sample or use it the same way it was used. Plus Bink breaks down how he made some of my favorite records like Kanye's Devil In A New Dress, Freeway's "When They Remember" and Jay Z's "1-900-Hustler.

My question for the boards are what are 5 of ya'll favorite samples, why and if you're a producer, would you have used it the same way it was used or would you have flipped it differently.

http://www.willmakebeatsforfood.com/2015/06/live-from-writers-bench-5-favorite-hip.html

The Corner Radio Podcast Hosted by Kil
@Kil889
www.willmakebeatsforfood.com
www.soundcloud.com/kil889

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Bink! is underrated as hell!
Jun 15th 2015
Samples or breaks?
Jun 15th 2015
Excellent call on that Gwen McCrae record
Jun 15th 2015
RE: Excellent call on that Gwen McCrae record
Jun 15th 2015
Good looking out. That breakbeat ep would be tough
Jun 15th 2015
      RE: Good looking out. That breakbeat ep would be tough
Jun 15th 2015
           Bruhhhhh.....You have no idea how far back we go
Jun 15th 2015
Pretty sure Large Pro sampled the Vanessa Kendrick version...
Jun 22nd 2015
      RE: Pretty sure Large Pro sampled the Vanessa Kendrick version...
Jun 23rd 2015
      Need to find a Just Hanging Out inst to be sure
Jun 24th 2015
I'll do these one post at a time. No particular order
Jun 15th 2015
RE: I'll do these one post at a time. No particular order
Jun 19th 2015
where that bink instrumental at? run dat!
Jun 22nd 2015
RE: where that bink instrumental at? run dat!
Jun 22nd 2015
RE: The Writer's Bench - Top 5 Favorite Samples with Bink!
Jun 22nd 2015
Second track: Diana In The Autumn Wind
Jun 24th 2015
A Day In The Life - Les DeMerle
Jun 24th 2015
Down Here On The Ground - Grant Green
Jun 24th 2015
upping for my own personal, selfish usage later
Jun 28th 2015

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 09:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Bink! is underrated as hell!"
In response to Reply # 0

Dude brought the heat over Ye and Just on The Dynasty album and The Blueprint.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 06:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Samples or breaks? "
In response to Reply # 0

This is a good one. Need to see if I can cut that down to 5 of each...

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

spenzalii
10982 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 09:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Excellent call on that Gwen McCrae record"
In response to Reply # 0

My story with that one is pretty similar. It was '92 and my parents were heading to the Bahamas and leaving my brother and I at home for the first time. I got my license maybe 2 weeks before they left. We drop them off at the airport around 6 in the morning and head back to the family's '87 Taurus. The first song we play after pulling out the airport parking lot is Main Source's Just Hanging Out. That was the theme song for the entire weekend. Every time I hear that sample it takes me back to that weekend of official freedom. Large Pro was a genius for that

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

Kil
971 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 09:04 PM

4. "RE: Excellent call on that Gwen McCrae record"
In response to Reply # 3

For this ep we were just doing samples but best believe we're doing a break beats show. Trying to get the homie Jake One up on that ep. You know those Conman tapes he used to have on Deck with Supreme was BANANAS! Dope story too about the Main Source jawn...it's just a freaking PERFECT song! Yeah, Large Pro was SICK for that one.

@Kil889

spenzalii
10982 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 09:11 PM

5. "Good looking out. That breakbeat ep would be tough"
In response to Reply # 4

Agreed on Just Hanging Out being one of those perfect songs front to back. Just that joint on and you just get a feel you don't even have to explain.

Need to try and call my list down to 5, or cheat and do 5 + a James Brown cut, as he could just have an ep by himself. I need to make sure Krayola heard this episode...

Kil
971 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 09:24 PM

6. "RE: Good looking out. That breakbeat ep would be tough"
In response to Reply # 5

Whoa...you talking about Krayola from DC? If so that's my dude! Small world...

@Kil889

spenzalii
10982 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 09:37 PM

7. "Bruhhhhh.....You have no idea how far back we go"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Jun-15-15 09:44 PM by spenzalii

Ask him how he got into computers. He loves telling that story, believe me. I know Mr. West pretty well, and we both have a lot of early demo material from each other. I wouldn't be surprised if we crossed paths at some point.

As a matter of fact, on some 6 degrees of separation stuff, that same Just Hanging Out weekend Krayola came to the crib that Saturday and we knocked out one happy, bouncy track based off of Funkadelic's Do That Stuff. It was just one happy weekend. memories, I tell you...

Hit the inbox later. I need to work on this list

third_i_vision
Charter member
7818 posts
Mon Jun-22-15 11:38 AM

12. "Pretty sure Large Pro sampled the Vanessa Kendrick version..."
In response to Reply # 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ-WNjr_GeE

This one features the open intro that you can loop up. Can't do it with the Gwen McCrae version - the vocals get in the way.

Large Professor absolutely came from the Paul C school of sampling. He was flipping rare 45s YEARS before the whole Brainfreeze thing popularized 45 culture among producers. Take "Looking At The Front Door," for example. That little "c'mon baby, na na na na…" that comes in after the drum intro? I still haven't found anybody who can tell me what that is. I do know it's off a 45 though - check around 4:20 on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6tBHbv7FMA

Too slick.

Bowls
http://twitter.com/Bowls615

Kil
971 posts
Tue Jun-23-15 10:00 PM

14. "RE: Pretty sure Large Pro sampled the Vanessa Kendrick version..."
In response to Reply # 12

Yup...you can NEVER go wrong with Large Pro....SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO underated!

@Kil889

spenzalii
10982 posts
Wed Jun-24-15 08:24 PM

15. "Need to find a Just Hanging Out inst to be sure"
In response to Reply # 12

Regardless of the version, the track is just about perfect

spenzalii
10982 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 11:08 PM

8. "I'll do these one post at a time. No particular order"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-15-15 11:09 PM by spenzalii

First up: Holy Thursday, David Axelrod
https://youtu.be/8j8pSu3U7WM

Regardless of how many people sampled it, and how many different ways there are to flip it, the song by itself is absolutely amazing. It's one of my go to inspirational morning songs that makes you get shit DONE, regardless.

Best story with this one: The wife and I were in Cancun for our 2 year anniversary. We're staying at one of the all inclusive resorts, but we still need a few items that the resort doesn't have. So we hop in one of the 'dollar vans' (if you own a white cargo van in Mexico you can make a living, legal or otherwise) and head to one of the local strip malls to do a money exchange and get some things at the supermarket. Two problems here:

1. Everything is is Spanish (duh, it's Mexico)
2. I don't speak Spanish, and she speaks spainglish, at best

So, I'm walking through the aisles of this supermarket past big ass bottles of multicolored liquid that could either be soda, detergent, or both, and have no clue on which is which (as both seemed to come in 3 liter bottles). So I'm feeling like The Little Old Man Who Could Not Read, all the while, this is playing through my iPod headphones:
https://youtu.be/fWY2baR08C0

It was one of the most surreal musical moments I've ever had, but that sample always reminds me of over a decade later

YupYupLikeTeddy
Member since Dec 04th 2004
193 posts
Fri Jun-19-15 12:27 PM

9. "RE: I'll do these one post at a time. No particular order"
In response to Reply # 8

I got so many favorite samples, I'll give you the 1st five that come to mind:

The Honey Suckle Breeze by Tom Scott...of course we all know it's TROY but after finding the original I LOVE the song by itself. It can stand on it's own two even if Pete didn't sample it and make it a classic.

Like Ev said, that Baby Huey break is another favorite. What that thing for the remix for Tribe's Can I Kick it alone makes it sick!

Joe Simon's Drowning In A Sea of Love...the way Primo chopped that to make You Know My Steez?

Latimore's Let's Do It In Slow Motion....the way Primo chopped that to make Royalty?

Joe Cocker's Woman to Woman...all I gotta say about that is Ultra mag's Funky.

Bblock
Member since Feb 20th 2012
6243 posts
Mon Jun-22-15 01:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "where that bink instrumental at? run dat!"
In response to Reply # 0

thanks beforehand

life always offers you a 2nd chance...it's called tomorrow. use it wisely

Kil
971 posts
Mon Jun-22-15 10:59 AM

11. "RE: where that bink instrumental at? run dat!"
In response to Reply # 10

Just waiting on big bro to give me the ok to let it go...

@Kil889

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Mon Jun-22-15 01:13 PM

13. "RE: The Writer's Bench - Top 5 Favorite Samples with Bink!"
In response to Reply # 0

When They Remember made me mad I even got a placement on that album.. I was like.. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucckk this shit is so good..

Then to ad insult to injury I had to do a sample remake instead of using the actual sample.. man

Bink is so dope..

I would say momma loved me is also up there..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

spenzalii
10982 posts
Wed Jun-24-15 08:27 PM

16. "Second track: Diana In The Autumn Wind"
In response to Reply # 0

Man I am behind on these. My bad.

There's so much in this track that you can't be mad at Dilla sampling it, then Madlib sampling it for Dilla to rhyme over it. There's a few other spots ripe for the picking if anyone else wants to have a go at it, but if not, it's a great track to just get lost in

spenzalii
10982 posts
Wed Jun-24-15 08:35 PM

17. "A Day In The Life - Les DeMerle"
In response to Reply # 0

The first time I heard OC's Times Up this was my favorite song EVER and OC was my favorite MC at the moment. Buck didn't do much if anything to it (really just looped a bar, 1/2 bar) but you didn't need to do anything else. Couple that with OC's rhymes railing about the glut of fake hardcore rap that was blossoming and you have a song that will live forever.

I rather be broke and have a whole lot of respect....

spenzalii
10982 posts
Wed Jun-24-15 09:09 PM

18. "Down Here On The Ground - Grant Green"
In response to Reply # 0

1990. Sophomore year in high school. The Low End Theory drops. EVERYBODY loves it. Black people. White people. Undeclared people. Everybody knows Check the Rhime, which is fine, but you could tell who was a real 'head' and who wasn't (Start out with 'Back in the day' and go into Excursions and watch how many people, usually white in my experience, just know Check The Rhime). Anyway, side A was pretty dope all the way through (even though I STILL don't care for Butter. Phife got much better, but still wasn't quite ready to hold a track by himself. At least not that one). As soon as the horns came in on Vibes and Stuff, it was a wrap. Another track where you didn't need to do much, but it didn't matter. I have no idea how many batteries I killed rewinding the bridge in that song. I don't care if Pete used it. I don't care if Muggs used it. I don't care who used it. This is the definitive version of a masterful sample.

You I'm out like Buster Douglas I say peace to MC Trouble. Rest In Peace.....

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Sun Jun-28-15 12:17 PM

19. "upping for my own personal, selfish usage later"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2935176 Previous topic | Next topic