Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2935009

Subject: "Will there be another MJ before there is another Prince?" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 11:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Will there be another MJ before there is another Prince?"

I'm not a big of Prince. His hits are great, but I don't have a great interest in pouring myself into listening deep into his catalog. I remember having consistent Prince vs MJ conversations when I was a kid and always liking MJ over Prince. It's hard to argue over having a run of hit albums like MJ did.

But I think there is a greater chance of a singular pop music star, like MJ was, than there is an artist who was provocative, subversive, well-learned in music and theory, AND able to create great, hit songs.

Granted Usher, JT, and Beyoncé are all great musicians and singular entertainers and are as close to something like MJ as modern day pop music can allow. But the closest thing to Prince *might* be D'Angelo, in that D' is arguably the most interesting and talented musician in modern popular music. But while D'Angelo has maybe two mainstream hits (Brown Sugar and Untitled) Prince has hit after hit after hit in his name.

There's no artist in the pipeline who could be someone like Prince. Or is there a man or woman who can be an artist like Prince that I don't know about?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
well things are all subjective however to me
Jun 11th 2015
RE: Will there be another MJ before there is another Prince?
Jun 12th 2015
RE: Will there be another MJ before there is another Prince?
Jun 12th 2015
It's Hard To Say Cause MJ Was An Whole Package
Jun 12th 2015
RE: It's Hard To Say Cause MJ Was A (corrected) Whole Package
Jun 12th 2015
It's hard to become Prince when there's no instruments in your school.
Jun 12th 2015
^^^^^^truth
Jun 12th 2015
I guess if impossible things could happen...
Jun 12th 2015
I don't think so. Times have changed too much. Watching those flowers
Jun 12th 2015
MAN HIGHLANDER THIS POAST
Jun 12th 2015
i dunno bro we better call a psychic
Jun 12th 2015

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 11:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "well things are all subjective however to me"
In response to Reply # 0

R.Kelly is the last Great R&B artist and look past his personal life and just look at his catelog and depth. D'angelo is one of those stories of a cat who had it all and settle from crums.

a cat who could have had a Tim Duncan Career and settle for a Derrick Coleman Career instead.

Bruno Mars is a cat who i can see having a very good to great run if he does better material and challenge himself.

ain't gonna be another MJ because the man did it all and did it well for so long. had classic songs, albums, great charismatic stage pressence and he had a "IT" which is out of this world period.

so many things had had to happen and it worked.

as for Prince naw, because what got him over ain't happening now because most of these turkeys rather sample or work with some cornball beat maker and not ride or die with there own sound.

prince was cleaver to take other peoples stuff as did MJ
and yet give it a fresh spin in his prime and peak.

but he came along when these record companys allowed vision.

as big as Beyonce is what is her vision exactly?

bottom line there ain't gonna be another fill in the blank and alot of that is because of what has been allowed to go on with these labels which isn't about artistic growth and depth.

stevie Wonder as a kid had to go back and learn period.

nobody teaches A&R anymore and it shows.

back in the day said label head would say that song is cool but go back and give me a money track and that is how fill in the blank won't be another.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23883 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 06:29 AM

2. "RE: Will there be another MJ before there is another Prince?"
In response to Reply # 0

Musically, maybe there'll be another mutant born with that much talent. Maybe it was Bieber. I don't think the media and the general internet commentary will allow a person to reach those heights that MJ reached. The artist would be torn down socially before they were ever allowed to get as big and as weird as MJ got.

Musically, I'm sure there'll be another Prince.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 06:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Will there be another MJ before there is another Prince?"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri Jun-12-15 06:54 AM by murph71

>Musically, maybe there'll be another mutant born with that
>much talent. Maybe it was Bieber. I don't think the media and
>the general internet commentary will allow a person to reach
>those heights that MJ reached. The artist would be torn down
>socially before they were ever allowed to get as big and as
>weird as MJ got.
>
>Musically, I'm sure there'll be another Prince

R u saying Mike was more talented than Prince? And something tells me we won't be seeing a gender bending black man playing rock guitar singing about incest and rocking bikini briefs with the total package musical acumen of Stevie Wonder-meets-Little Richard-meets-Carlos Santana in 2015....U want to talk about being torn down? The politically correct police would crucify THAT Prince....Ha!

And on the real,I don't think we will ever see the likes of both MJ and P....Especially Mike, who was culturally the biggest star to ever walk the earth...Mike was bigger than Coca Cola....The main reason? The Internet has made the world (and music biz) a lot smaller....Mike was putting out albums when the finale of MASH was being viewed by 121.6 million viewers....

And Bieber, dog?....Fucking Bieber????....lol

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 07:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "It's Hard To Say Cause MJ Was An Whole Package"
In response to Reply # 0

A lot of people only know Michael Jackson as the solo artist from his "Off The Wall" album to the new stuff but not when he was part of Jackson 5/The Jacksons or the his first solo albums on Motown.

So to most he's that pop artist with a great producers and musicians behind him with iconic videos and dance moves that all will imitate for years.

It's plenty of people who have similar vocals (ex: Patti Austin, Justin Michael, Justin Timberlake, Jesse Campbell, B. Howard, & etc) and those who have same vocal range & cadence, maybe, and then you have the artists with the super production behind them (yeah Quincy, Teddy & ToTo, still producing); also who else been singing in the spotlight & radio since they were a kid...plenty (tons of boy & girl groups & Disney artists singing) but how many of them fizzle out or go bland by time they get older...so so many of them.

It's not acts out there that will come close (maybe Justin T. or Chris B.) but I don't see them being genius enough to making an "Off The Wall" or "Thriller" though (maybe it's just me thinking that).

I see more artists like the today's Prince coming around and out now but none of them will have the sound that he had in the 80's-90's even though some edm artists are trying to recreate so many sounds of the 80's & 90's but the vocals and writing is never there.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 05:02 PM

10. "RE: It's Hard To Say Cause MJ Was A (corrected) Whole Package"
In response to Reply # 4

You may be wrong but you may be right, to quote Billy Joel.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
http://i60.tinypic.com/a59mp3.jpg

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 08:08 AM

5. "It's hard to become Prince when there's no instruments in your school."
In response to Reply # 0

Unless you just happen to be in a musical family, I don't see how that happens.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 09:33 AM

6. "^^^^^^truth"
In response to Reply # 5

>Unless you just happen to be in a musical family, I don't see
>how that happens.

FUCK DONALD TRUMP

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 11:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "I guess if impossible things could happen..."
In response to Reply # 0

fluicide
Member since Aug 07th 2013
732 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 11:11 AM

8. "I don't think so. Times have changed too much. Watching those flowers"
In response to Reply # 0

spin on that PR record was damn near hypnotizing. Videos don't really matter anymore plus everything has pretty much been done by now. Killing a stage solo for hours like MJ & Prince did rarely happens anymore. There are a few that can approach the throne(s) but they'll never wear the crown. Prince & MJ are both a 1 of 1.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 03:34 PM

9. "MAN HIGHLANDER THIS POAST"
In response to Reply # 0

there can be only one.

has there been another Miles or another Jimi>?

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 06:17 PM

11. "i dunno bro we better call a psychic"
In response to Reply # 0

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2935009 Previous topic | Next topic