Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2934883

Subject: "RIP Ornette Coleman" Previous topic | Next topic
abstrak
Charter member
1470 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 09:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"RIP Ornette Coleman"

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/arts/music/ornette-coleman-jazz-saxophonist-dies-at-85-obituary.html

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RIP, kinda guy you expect to live forever
Jun 11th 2015
R I
Jun 11th 2015
great note on his passing from Joe Henry:
Jun 11th 2015
That solo opened me to Ornettes brilliance
Jun 11th 2015
R.I.P. to a true innovator and musician
Jun 11th 2015
RIP
Jun 11th 2015
Rest In Power
Jun 11th 2015
NOOOO! R.I.P.!!!
Jun 11th 2015
Clarification:
Jun 11th 2015
nice jakob! n/m
Jun 12th 2015
RE: I swear to god, man.
Jun 12th 2015
Peace
Jun 11th 2015
RIP to a artist who kept a step ahead on his sound
Jun 11th 2015
awesome beautiful human being!
Jun 12th 2015
RE: RIP Ornette Coleman
Jun 12th 2015
RIP
Jun 12th 2015
Vernon Reid RS interview about Ornette Coleman - swipe
Jun 12th 2015
Thanks
Jun 12th 2015
      you're welcome, Vernon usually comes through
Jun 12th 2015
RE: Rest well to one of the last true weirdos of music.
Jun 12th 2015
I think it's unfair to label him weird or grating
Jun 12th 2015
RE: No, he was weird. In the best possible way.
Jun 12th 2015
      i totally respect your stance on that n/m
Jun 13th 2015
My first exposure to Ornette was Free Jazz: A Collective Improvisation.
Jun 13th 2015
On the topic of ''change of the century''...
Jun 13th 2015
RE: RIP Ornette Coleman
Jun 14th 2015

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 10:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RIP, kinda guy you expect to live forever"
In response to Reply # 0

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

drugs
Charter member
9149 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 11:30 AM

2. "R I"
In response to Reply # 0

P

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 01:19 PM

3. "great note on his passing from Joe Henry:"
In response to Reply # 0

Might want to listen to this song of Joe's featuring Coleman --- https://youtu.be/ANUvI297Eig --- while you listen, as it's discussed in this note swiped from FB:

"News has just reached me this very hour that Ornette Coleman has died at the age of 85. Given his age, I can’t say the news is shocking; but it is nonetheless a blow to those of us who have leaned in for so long to take heart from his life-affirming inventions.
Picasso said that, "every act of creation is first an act of destruction. The artist's hand is the hand of a matador." And just so, when we recorded together in October of 1999, Ornette Coleman deconstructed my song “Richard Pryor Addresses A Tearful Nation” right in front of me –but first he assumed the point of view of the bull, already on his knees. Only later, near the song's end, did he rise out of the character of the fallen beast to take up the sword and cape himself and finish what we all knew had been coming. The rest of us in attendance could only watch as Ornette rendered from the song what only a man of his experience can fully exact, leaving me the tail and an ear.
I won't say that it was easy for him to get to the root as he did, but it was essential to him, and he would settle for nothing else. He was restlessly unsatisfied after several takes that I thought brilliant, and said to me, "Joseph, I know the saxophone so well. And I still hear myself playing the saxophone. I need to keep going until I'm not playing sax anymore but just playing music."
He kept going.
We all have brief moments of clarity, where for just an instant we are allowed to see that, regardless of frustration and doubt, we are exactly where we are supposed to be –many of those moments courtesy of an elder lighting our path. And we inch ahead, heartened, if somewhat tentative like a tightrope walker at a death tempo. I now see that perhaps with the invitation of a song, Richard Pryor finessed me into the presence of Ornette Coleman for no other reason than so that he, Ornette, could ring my bedside phone on the morning of my fortieth birthday. For when I picked up the receiver and heard Ornette playing "Happy Birthday" over the wire, what it sounded like to me was more truth from a loving and unlikely messenger. I heard: Know it or not, you are exactly where you are supposed to be at this moment in your life.
I was grateful that moment that Ornette reached into my frame so vivildy, and with such kind acknowledgment of my existence. I am even more so now: that he stayed with us all so long to do the same."

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 07:18 PM

10. "That solo opened me to Ornettes brilliance"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu Jun-11-15 07:18 PM by Deacon Blues

Before that I was afraid of listening because of the "free Jazz"

RIP to a musical legend

dude

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44719 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 01:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "R.I.P. to a true innovator and musician"
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 01:29 PM

5. "RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 02:06 PM

6. "Rest In Power"
In response to Reply # 0

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 04:16 PM

7. "NOOOO! R.I.P.!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-11-15 04:23 PM by Jakob Hellberg

One of the top 5-10 greats of 20th century music IMO. His impact can not be overstated and I never understood the complaints about him being too "free" or "weird" or whatever... dude was essentially a 50's gutbucket Texas R&B saxophonist let loose in a jazz-setting; the blues was omnipresent in his playing and his ability to improvise melodically without the benefit of underlying chord-progressions is second to none. Seriously, dudes phrases *and* themes are catchy as hell and then he catch you off guard with a totally deranged run and then he change the tonal center at a random moment and play the blues there instead.

OK, I guess he was pretty weird, whatever. Also, he was kind of the punk-rocker of jazz coming on the scene with a somewhat rugged technique playing a plastic sax and then having a trumpeter being even more rugged playing a broken-down and fucked up cornet from the civil war at a time when hard bop and cool jazz ruled and everything was about sounding as "tight" and "in the pocket" as possible. Meanwhile, you listen to how Ornette and Don played the themes together in such a ramshacke fashion and it's like you are being transported back to the very earliest jazz before it became a flashy virtuoso artform and it's just SO fucking punk!

BTW, note that Ornette-not so much Don even if I dig him too-could play his ass off. He might not have had a bebop-level technique but so what? Neither did many of the old jazz musicians. He REALLY shook shit up... Anyway, the whole "he doesn't know how to play"-shit is ridiculous in retropect because it came from jazz being viewed by bebop/cool jazz virtuoso standards. Compared with even your virtuosos in other forms of popular music, dude DEFINITELY knew how to play...

It's also funny that he and Cecil Taylor (what? You think I could make a post without mentioning him?) were the prime pioneers of free-jazz because were eachothers opposites.

On the one hand, a barely literal, unschooled saxophonist. On the other hand, a middle-class, classically trained virtuoso pianist. It's like the populist going high-brow vs. the avantgardist going "pop" (well, a stretch but jazz was still somewhat pop in the late 50's) and somewhere between those two poles is where you find most later free-jazz in one way or another.

Some of my favorite, more "accessible" Coleman-jams (excluding "Lonely woman" because that one is an acknowledged classic) in chronological order:

Chronology (Don kills it for once! And Ornette's entry @ 2.43 is just pure attitude/"swag"):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EJzQjehOPs

Una muy bonita:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=405MdvmBoAU

Ramblin' (LOVE the "bluegrass"-vibe of Haden's bass-solo in this one and Ornette's solo is just pure, pre-stereotype blues):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqwdRBWvPs0

Blues connotation (maybe Ornette's illest and best constructed EARLY solo IMO-peep how one melodic idea flows to the next. I can sing it from start to finish!):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIhca6mZuAk

Beauty is a rare thing (Gamechanger. Laid the blueprint for a new style of playing a "jazz-ballad" that would REALLY catch on throughout the 60's. Pay attention to Ed Blackwell's hyper sensitive drumming and how well it mirrors the solos):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCLKhZmIaXw

W.P.D.D. (just *flow* for 9 minutes. Note that it is Scott LaFaro rather than Haden on bass here; quite a difference stylistically):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWvCeUV2Gjg

Sadness (VERY appropriate title here. This was with his "new" band with David Izenson and Charles Moffett, very different rhythm-section compared with the classic Atlantic-one):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TJmk-2huoI

Dancing Fool (this one is with the same band and just ace; love the juxtaposition of "happiness" and "melancholy" in his note-choices):
EDIT:Meant "Happy fool". Still can't find it on youtube, bummer

Trouble in the east (the title "Space Jungle" is wrong, they fucked up on the sleeve. Middle-eastern flavored, hyper-intense workout with Ornette's kid on amateurish drums):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkgsT6qtXJE

Song for Che (classic, south america-flavored melody from the same, stunning album "Crisis". Showcase for Haden who was back with the champ):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Jyt8Cx5ls

Law Years (this one is just WOW! even if Dewey Redman-who plays the first sax-solo-and Haden kind of steals the show):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGPFNGTTdTs

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 04:45 PM

8. "Clarification:"
In response to Reply # 7

Don Cherry obviously killed it more than once (Ramblin'!); whereas many jazz-snobs regard him as a hack, I think he was great, just very inconsistent. Miles Davis once said that he was not playing anything, it was just notes coming out and indeed, *sometimes* it sounds like that, a bit too often on the early records.

That said, I dig the hell out of Don's solo career and he was a GREAT foil for people like Albert Ayler and Pharoah Sanders (peep the stunning "Where is Brooklyn") as well as great with collective improvising-his "solo" on "Free jazz" is the best part of that record, mainly because it actually sounds like a genuinely collective improv with dudes feeding off eachother rather than one guy playing solo with sporadic contributions from the rest. I just don't think he was the best soloist in general, a bit low hit/miss ratio...

A Love Supreme
Member since Nov 25th 2003
3052 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 10:38 AM

15. "nice jakob! n/m"
In response to Reply # 7

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 07:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "RE: I swear to god, man."
In response to Reply # 7

You're one of two of the only reasons I keep reading this forum.

Nardwuar: "Why should people care?"
Archy: "You don't have to care. I don't care. If you like it, you like it."

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2015/222933

ProgressiveSound
Member since Mar 11th 2003
2053 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 07:00 PM

9. "Peace"
In response to Reply # 0

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Jun-11-15 11:03 PM

11. "RIP to a artist who kept a step ahead on his sound"
In response to Reply # 0

always dug his tone and feel.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

A Love Supreme
Member since Nov 25th 2003
3052 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 02:58 AM

12. "awesome beautiful human being!"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm gonna post the remarks he gave when receiving a lifetime achievement award at the grammys in 2007 i thing. i read it back then and fucking LOVED it! here goes.

-----------------------------

Charlie Haden: Tonight NARAS is presenting an award that goes to the deepest and most beautiful part of music--deep and beautiful like Bach, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Billie Holiday, and Ornette Coleman.

Ornette opened up a whole new world of musical discovery and exploration. That journey of music being born for the first time, continues today in his compositions and improvisation.

Over the years we’ve played many concerts and many, many recordings together and even now, when I play music with him it’s the most exciting and rewarding musical experience of my life. I am honored to present this Lifetime A A to the great Ornette Coleman.

Ornette Coleman: It is really very, very real to be here tonight, in relationship to life and death and I’m sure they both love each other.

I really don’t have any present thoughts about why I’m standing here other than trying to figure out something to say that could be useful to someone that believes.

One of the things I am experiencing is very important and that is: You don’t have to die to kill and you don’t have to kill to die. And above all, nothing exists that is not in the form of life because life is eternal with or without people so we are grateful for life to be here at this very moment.

For myself, I’d rather be human than to be dead. And I would also die to be human. So you can’t die, you can’t die to be neither one, regardless of what you say or think so that’s why I believe that music itself is eternal in relationship to sound, meaning, intelligence…all the things that have to have something to do with being alive because you were born and because someone else made it possible for you to be here, which we call our parents etc. etc.

For me, the most eternal thing is that I would like to live until I learn what it is and what it isn’t…that is, how do we kill death since it kills everything?

And it’s hard to realize that being in the human form is not as easy as wondering what is going to happen to you even if you do know what it is and it doesn’t depend on if you know what is going to happen to you.

No one can know anything that life creates since no one is life itself. And it’s obvious, at least I believe, it’s obvious the one reason why we as human beings get there and do things that seem to be valuable to us in relationship to intelligence… uh, what is it called…creativity and love and all the things that have to do with waking up every morning believing it’s going to be a better day today or tomorrow and yet at the same time death, life, sadness, anger, fear, all of those things are present at the same time as we are living and breathing.

It is really, really eternal, this that we are constantly being created as human beings to know that exists and it’s really, really unbelievable to know that nothing that’s alive can die unless it’s been killed. So what we should try to realize is to remove that part of what it is so that whatever we are, life is all there is and I thank you very much.

http://jazzclinic.blogspot.se/2007/02/ornett-colemans-grammy-remarks.html

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 06:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "RE: RIP Ornette Coleman"
In response to Reply # 0

A GIANT.....Rest In Power....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Reuben
Member since Mar 13th 2006
1857 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 08:19 AM

14. "RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

damn

http://hardboiledbabesanddarkchocolate.tumblr.co

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 04:24 PM

16. "Vernon Reid RS interview about Ornette Coleman - swipe"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/vernon-reid-on-ornette-coleman-he-set-a-lot-of-people-free-20150612

Vernon Reid on Ornette Coleman: 'He Set a Lot of People Free'

Living Colour guitarist remembers the jazz legend who helped inspire so many artists outside his genre

By David Fricke June 12, 2015

"Ornette's work is so profoundly tied to the notion of liberty," Living Colour guitarist Vernon Reid says, reflecting on the life, music and legacy of the saxophonist Ornette Coleman, who died on June 11th at 85, in New York of cardiac arrest. "One thing that came to mind" after Reid heard the news, he says, was a line by the 19th Century African-American writer-statesman, Frederick Douglass: "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude."

"Ornette took the hit for being independent, for having his own ideas," Reid goes on, referring to the early, negative reactions in the jazz establishment to Coleman's revolution against conventional bebop relationships in harmony, melody and rhythm and his lifelong sacrifice of mainstream acceptance for absolute creative sovereignty. "Even in a genre like jazz, which prides itself on freedom, there are rules of engagement – Ornette shook up that orthodoxy. And a lot of people did not get it."

In a long, warm homage to the composer-improviser only hours after his passing, Reid – who played with drummer Ronald Shannon Jackson, a Coleman alumnus, in the Eighties – spoke about Coleman's deep, broad influence in and outside jazz, including Reid's own turning-point band. "The notion of doing what calls you, what you want to do – that was transmitted through Ornette," says Reid. "To play with Shannon, who came out of what Ornette was doing – without that, I would never have started Living Colour. Even though the music was different, the impulse was the same. I owe Ornette a great debt.

David Fricke - One of the great misconceptions about Coleman's music, especially in the Sixties, was how the jazz community confused the notion of "free jazz" with pure chaos. Coleman's drive was to express himself across all of those conventional boundaries, to something shared and emotionally fundamental.

Vernon - Absolutely. The other thing is there's a great burden of knowledge placed on the improviser. Think of Sonny Rollins – the amount of melodies it takes, that you need to know, to be really free harmonically, to be able to come in and outside of harmonic structure. As much as Sun Ra was a paragon of a certain kind of freedom, he was also a stickler, a formalist. There was a real tension in his music between the freewheeling side and the Fletcher Henderson side.

Something else too – Ornette had a profound effect beyond his genre, on rock & roll. Think of John Cale and Lou Reed (in the Velvet Underground). Certainly Don Van Vliet (a.k.a. Captain Beefheart) had to be affected by Ornette. Then consider Jerry Garcia, Pat Metheny, Sonic Youth. And certainly me. Shannon came out of Ornette. Without that experience, I would never have thought it possible to start a rock & roll band.

David Fricke - Are there aspects to your guitar playing that you can attribute to Ornette – tonally, conceptually – beyond freedom itself?

Vernon - I would say the ability to shift emotionally from genre to genre. There's this whole language of rock licks, metal licks, blues licks. To be in a place where they can all be played but also undercut, to incorporate unfamiliar things – that is very much a legacy of having been exposed to Ornette's music and played Shannon's music. That's something that has stayed with me.

David Fricke - Were rock audiences, in some ways, more naturally open to Coleman's music? I remember seeing his electric band, Prime Time, in the Eighties, at the Ritz in New York and thinking, "People are dancing to this. Nobody dances at the Village Vanguard."

Vernon - There was a moment of fissure in the culture, in the Eighties. You had Sonic Youth, Material, Defunkt, bands like Curlew. There was this opening in the rock room, this fissure, and Ornette was in the breach.

David Fricke - Did you ever play with Coleman?

Vernon - Indirectly. I did a rehearsal one time. There was a project in London with the Roots. And the Roots played with Ornette. It was kind of a hodge-podge. And his health was not in the best place. But at the very last moment, the Roots were playing their normal set. Suddenly, Ornette had his horn, and he was playing. A jam erupted, and it was really, really great.

David Fricke - I wrote a Rolling Stone feature story about Coleman in 1989, and met him on some occasions later. One thing that struck me was that for someone who was so villified, at one point, by the jazz establishment, he carried himself with a graceful pride. He was also very gracious to me.

Vernon - He was an incredibly gracious man. The mainstream has almost begrudgingly given him respect, for the sheer amount of his work. There is this iconoclastic thread that goes from Thelonious Monk to Miles Davis to Charles Mingus. Ornette is a part of that – him, Eric Dolphy, John Coltrane. And so many greats played with Ornette – (trumpeter) Freddie Hubbard, (bassist) Charlie Haden, (trumpeter) Don Cherry. It's extraordinary. I saw a gig one time in Paris. Ornette rarely played with pianists, but he had this project with Geri Allen, and it was amazing. There was something beautiful and open in his playing, particularly in the later period.

David Fricke - His playing was always very lyrical. Lou Reed often told me "Lonely Woman" (on Coleman's 1959 album, The Shape of Jazz to Come) was one of his favorite records.

Vernon - Profoundly lyrical. He's this firebrand in the Fifties and Sixties, forging this challenging thing. But then this other sound started to emerge. Even with Prime Time, there was this lyricism making itself manifest. I also look at something like Skies of America (Coleman's symphony, issued by Columbia in 1972), which I hope that orchestras pick up. Certainly it's Lincoln Center-ready.

Vernon - And there's (1972's) Science Fiction, which has these great vocal things that he did with the Indian pop singer Asha Puthli. One of them, "What Reason Could I Give" – Neneh Cherry covered that recently. She's a good example. She came out of Rip Rig and Panic, then she exploded into pop, the ultimate B-girl. But her grounding is in this whole other aesthetic because of the lineage of her father, Don Cherry, and of course Ornette.

Vernon - Ornette was connected to so many people and things – painters, writers, poets, the cultural flotsam and jetsam of the century, all of these giants who were connected to this iconic personage. He set a lot of people free.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 04:31 PM

17. "Thanks"
In response to Reply # 16

Great interview-Vernon breaks down many things that made Ornette special and SO important in an easy to understand manner...

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 04:37 PM

18. "you're welcome, Vernon usually comes through"
In response to Reply # 17

yes

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 07:14 PM

19. "RE: Rest well to one of the last true weirdos of music."
In response to Reply # 0

Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 10:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "I think it's unfair to label him weird or grating"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jun-12-15 10:36 PM by Mash_Comp

He was just figuring it out, just like everyone else. I first learned of Coleman via the This Is Our Music! album. My father, a musician who learned by ear and was shitted on/judged by trained guys, always flocked to Coleman. Now, my dad plays R&B but his band used to have hours-long improv grooves.

When I heard Free Jazz (I had to be around 9 or 10 at this time), I didn't know what I was checking out. I had found comfort in bepop and pockets, not knowing jazz could cut loose and find new ways to connect to me. It kind of reminded me of my dad jamming with his friends....although it was probably a lot more forward-thinking than that.

Even when Coleman went away from the so-called "Free Jazz" and got more into new sounds in the '70's and all the really eccentric projects he immersed himself in, I just came to accept that this guy's wiring was just different but that wasn't enough to earn him the "weird" tag.

He was just free. Literally free. He pushed against every rigid standard out there and even fought himself on that. How amazing is that we get to experience his music until we die ourselves? He left us a lot.

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 11:41 PM

22. "RE: No, he was weird. In the best possible way."
In response to Reply # 21

Weird is not a bad word, in this case.

Nor should it ever be.

Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 12:25 PM

24. "i totally respect your stance on that n/m"
In response to Reply # 22

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

inpulse
Member since May 23rd 2007
5891 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 12:11 PM

23. "My first exposure to Ornette was Free Jazz: A Collective Improvisation."
In response to Reply # 0

I bought that sucker cause this hot chick had it. That's it really. She was good looking and I thought she was cool. So I bought the cd.

I had no idea who Ornette Coleman was or what his music was like. I knew it was jazz (haha) - but that was it. I didn't even pay attention to the "Double Quartet" or any of that shit. I just went in, guns blazing.

So I remember putting that bad boy in the cd player, all pumped, thinking this was going to be some cool, groovy jazz, man.

I had no idea what the fuck I was listening to. Shit made no kinda of sense to me. I remember getting the liner notes out and leafing through them, thinking maybe, just maybe, somehow the wrong music ended up on this cd I had just bought. Really - that girl liked this music?

I lasted maybe 7 minutes before I took that shit out the cd player and said fuck that girl.

Maybe 5 years or so later I came back to Ornette, wanting to give him a second chance. So I bought Change of the Century and The Shape of Jazz to Come. TSOJTC is supposed to be the one, but for me, COTC was the one where I finally got Ornette.

I think Jakob put it well up above. It was still the blues. It had that swing, the bass and the drums. Ornette's solos might go elsewhere, but that was where it came back to.

Anyway, I never did get that girl. But that's cool, I did okay. COTC is still one of my favorite jazz albums, and it's still one I can always come back to

RIP Mr. Coleman.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 03:57 PM

25. "On the topic of ''change of the century''..."
In response to Reply # 23

For some reason, I "forgot" to add a comment to "una muy bonita". Let's just say that the groove laid down by the rhythm-section during the solos in that track is something else. When you speak about groove-*especially* on OKP-it seems to imply something funky or danceable in a "post-funk/disco" waybut a killer groove doesn't HAVE to be that; it can be monster other ways too. And "Una muy bonita" has a groove like that once it gets going. And honestly, *I* dance to that track, not something I'd like people to see but still...

adg87
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
5301 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 02:54 AM

26. "RE: RIP Ornette Coleman"
In response to Reply # 0

Dayum!

Nigga, if the shoe fits, then buy the matching purse!" Rass Kass

Lobby The Lesson topic #2934883 Previous topic | Next topic