Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2933255

Subject: "I get an email from YouTube" Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu May-28-15 09:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I get an email from YouTube"

suggesting things that I might like. It includes Hank Mobley's Soul Station, full album upload by a random youtuber. Not an official page. There are links for purchase in itunes, play and amazon below the description (not the typical right tab jawn. And its for just one song, attributed to the versions on a different album. Point being Google just advertised some illegal shit and got ad revenue for it right?

And don't get me wrong that album is pretty dope, and yeah there's tons of other ones out there for things that aren't fifty years old and hard to find (I got it in a box somewhere). But should Google really be sending me emails pointing me to it when they ain't paying for the rights? Or are they in a away I'm just not seeing?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Split Feelins is one of my favorite songs in life
May 29th 2015
From my understanding....
May 30th 2015
That album is not available via that service
May 30th 2015
RE: Understatement:
May 30th 2015

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Fri May-29-15 07:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Split Feelins is one of my favorite songs in life"
In response to Reply # 0

And Hank Mobley is probably the most underrated great sax player in jazz.
As far as the email goes, you're getting those because of how the tags correlate to your listening habits. YT doesn't do any sort of real policing on content unless there's a direct violation or a report of such, but you getting the emails isn't really a part of any of that.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Sat May-30-15 08:28 AM

2. "From my understanding...."
In response to Reply # 0

....YT cut a deal with record labels where they pay to allow copyrighted music to be played on their site as a part of YT Music. It's supposed to be where not only do labels get paid for allowing YT to upload the music but if any Joe or Jane uploads copyrighted music the labels get paid for that as well.

I know lately I've seen automatic playlists by YT when looking up specific albums. I gotta find the article I read about YT's deal with the labels.

Since 1976

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sat May-30-15 12:52 PM

4. "That album is not available via that service "
In response to Reply # 2

It's an algorithm oversight going by tags. No one is getting paid except Google for it.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Sat May-30-15 12:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Understatement:"
In response to Reply # 0

>
>And don't get me wrong that album is pretty dope,

Semi-related, as far as the swindle of the current music business: I wanted your thoughts on this:
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2932357&mesg_id=2932357&page=3

Nardwuar: "Why should people care?"
Archy: "You don't have to care. I don't care. If you like it, you like it."

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2015/222933

Lobby The Lesson topic #2933255 Previous topic | Next topic